Reccomendations For Getting Golf Clubs

arjunk

So after a few lessons I am planning to buy my first set of golf clubs, preferably looking to get some used ones to start with....Wanted to know what’s the best place to get them in Bangkok…If Thaniya plaza, would be nice if you could recommend a store or a person as otherwise there are just too many shops there selling just about everything…And I want to avoid the knock offs..Also in case some of you have some old clubs to sell, do let me know..

If you can't find used ones, you may want to consider buying new clubs outside of Thailand as clubs in TL are heavily taxed and expensive. In general, get some cavity backed irons and stay away from blades. A good starter set can be had for about 9,000 baht in the west. That won't get you much in TL.

Check out www.tgw.com

They ship to Thailand. Ordered a set of Wilson clubs for my then fiance. Arrived in a week. She paid 3,000 baht for customs when they arrived. 10,500 baht for a complete starter set is a pretty good deal for TL.

If you can't find used ones, you may want to consider buying new clubs outside of Thailand as clubs in TL are heavily taxed and expensive. In general, get some cavity backed irons and stay away from blades. A good starter set can be had for about 9,000 baht in the west. That won't get you much in TL.

You can get a full set of Dunlops with bag for 8000 bht ish, my friend has them and they are okay for someone starting out and even when you get better!!

Hi. Brand spanking new memeber here. :)

15 handicap.

I didnt bring my clubs from san diego with me. while traveling up north, i ran across a billboard advertising a Callaway outlet. My friends(thai nationals) told me that in thailand, "outlet" means you'll pay US prices or higher :)). anyone have expereince with those outlets?

and any good local sources for new or used clubs?

I found oneonline that looked interesting for new clubs.

onlygolfthailand dot com

Sorry, but the forum wouldnt let me supply the actual link. :)

Your friends are correct. The golf shop at the 'outlets' charge full US prices PLUS. My understanding is that the PLUS comes from import taxes that are levied on the merchandise. Don't know the exact formula, but seems the higher the original price, the higher the markup in Thailand. Recently had to get a new driver and the cheapest western one I could find was a Taylormade at 7,900 baht. The US retail price was 6,000 baht. The next cheapest was 12,000, and it only went up from there. Actually saw one Japanese driver at 40,000 baht. The one good thing is these shops usually have a good selection of equipment, accessories and clothing, and seem to know a little about golf. Also can be a good source of information regarding the local courses.

• Like 1

Hi. Brand spanking new memeber here. :)

15 handicap.

I didnt bring my clubs from san diego with me. while traveling up north, i ran across a billboard advertising a Callaway outlet. My friends(thai nationals) told me that in thailand, "outlet" means you'll pay US prices or higher :)). anyone have expereince with those outlets?

onlygolfthailand dot com

Sorry, but the forum wouldnt let me supply the actual link. :)

Just checked out the site you mentioned. 14,000 baht for a Diablo driver that is three generations old and could buy in the US for 3,000 baht? For the same money, you'd be better off buying a plane ticket home and buying the latest gear at US retail prices.

Hi. Brand spanking new memeber here. smile.png

15 handicap.

I didnt bring my clubs from san diego with me. while traveling up north, i ran across a billboard advertising a Callaway outlet. My friends(thai nationals) told me that in thailand, "outlet" means you'll pay US prices or higher smile.png). anyone have expereince with those outlets?

onlygolfthailand dot com

Sorry, but the forum wouldnt let me supply the actual link. smile.png

Just checked out the site you mentioned. 14,000 baht for a Diablo driver that is three generations old and could buy in the US for 3,000 baht? For the same money, you'd be better off buying a plane ticket home and buying the latest gear at US retail prices.

Yes you could. you could also have some friends ship it to you. the possibilities are endless.

Do you have any other suggestions? atleast i offered up a suggestion other than to fly over and buy it. :D

PS the burners 3-pw at 20K bhat didnt sound too bad. but some of the other werent so good. but it was a source.

Any other recommendations would be greately appreciated by this hack.

Hi. Brand spanking new memeber here. smile.png

15 handicap.

I didnt bring my clubs from san diego with me. while traveling up north, i ran across a billboard advertising a Callaway outlet. My friends(thai nationals) told me that in thailand, "outlet" means you'll pay US prices or higher smile.png). anyone have expereince with those outlets?

onlygolfthailand dot com

Sorry, but the forum wouldnt let me supply the actual link. smile.png

Yes you could. you could also have some friends ship it to you. the possibilities are endless.

Do you have any other suggestions? atleast i offered up a suggestion other than to fly over and buy it. :D

PS the burners 3-pw at 20K bhat didnt sound too bad. but some of the other werent so good. but it was a source.

Any other recommendations would be greately appreciated by this hack.

As previously posted, try tgw.com or another reputable online retailer that ships to LOS. As for flying over to buy clubs, that's exactly what a lot of asians do. If you insist on buying in LOS or from an Asian online retailer, open your wallet and look out for fakes. Or, just have someone ship your clubs from San Diego.

Farangme, thanks for the heads up on the outlets. Yep, I figured, but its good to have first hand intel before venturing in.

Actually thank you all for you willingness to help.

Are there any proshops or stores here in LOS that has a decent prices at all. If so, where? If not, where do you get balls, gloves, ect?

Ive hit burners before, i like them. I've hit Hogan Apex with steel shafts, as in one of the initial posts and liked them, so that may be an option for me. And I like my 3iron for overhanging branch situations. Depending on the course, i generally hit bogey golf or better, with a bad hole or two per round. I could hit a better handicap if i wanted to, but then it wouldnt be fun would it? :D

Lastly, on the courses i saw, most used carts. Are there courses that you can walk with reasonable green fees? Yes i know walking in TL is tough, but i'm walking 5K to 10K several times a week already, altho not with a bag on my back, and hitting that dam_n ball 85+ times.laugh.png

Edited by jamhar