From Chiang Mai To Chiang Rai

Hello Kitty

"new bus"?? Buses have been going past Doi Saket since ancient times? Via Lampang is really the long way around. Also most buses past Doi Saket I'd hardly call 'new'.. they break down a lot.

Anyway, best to take an early aircon bus. Takes about 3 hours, perhaps a bit longer if you're unlucky.

There's no train. Also no flights (from Chiang Mai) anymore I believe.

"new bus"?? Buses have been going past Doi Saket since ancient times? Via Lampang is really the long way around. Also most buses past Doi Saket I'd hardly call 'new'.. they break down a lot.

Anyway, best to take an early aircon bus. Takes about 3 hours, perhaps a bit longer if you're unlucky.

There's no train. Also no flights (from Chiang Mai) anymore I believe.

It's still new compared to the old Lampang one

Theres one particular stretch (cant remember where exactly)and the bus we was on couldnt make it up the hill.

Needless to say we all had to get out and shove.

I didnt mind too much really since I had a bit of a hangover so pushing a broken down old wreck of a Thai 60 seater bus halfway up a mountain on a wet (and remember) cold misty morning tends to clear your head.

Also gets you to meet your fellow passengers on a more physical level. :o

From Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai you can take the grey air-con VIP bus.

I think there are only 24 seats in it. Nice stewardesses serve non-alcoholic refreshments and show you, if necessary, the way to the toilet. The toilet is also in the bus :D .

The seats are air-plane like (business-class) and the ride takes about three hours and some minutes.

Very comfortable.

I think about three or four times a day and it is good to buy a ticket in advance.

There is no connection by air.

I suppose the same busses go from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai as well :D .

And these rides cost probably the same: 240 Baht.

Limbo :o

Oh, and don't forget a stop at Charin Garden Resort, Km 141 Doi-Saket - Chiang Rai Rd. :o

I'm not all that impressed by the branch at Airport Plaza, although it is OK.

Is the original better?

I recently bought an apple pie from the airport. Maybe it's because I've known the folks in Mae Suay for so long, but, I think the original is best. Better atmosphere, too :D

charin2.jpg

Edited by Ajarn

• 1 year later...

At Arcade bus station.

So far I remember these busses don't stop at Charin's, though. If you would take a mini-bus (more expensive) than you will.

The kanom overthere is delicious. :o

Nienke

Sure the VIP Green Bus is relatively fast & comfortable, but what's the hurry? How about taking a bus to Thaton & then a ride down the Kok river to Chiang Rai. OK, it'll take several hours more but the scenery up there is much nicer in my opinion. Or maybe I've just been on Highway 118 too many times...

• 2 years later...

Sure the VIP Green Bus is relatively fast & comfortable, but what's the hurry? How about taking a bus to Thaton & then a ride down the Kok river to Chiang Rai. OK, it'll take several hours more but the scenery up there is much nicer in my opinion. Or maybe I've just been on Highway 118 too many times...

Has anybody done the trip from Chiang Mai to Thaton, then to Chiang Rai via boat on the Mae Kok River recently?

I read that during the rainy season that the boat ride could be dangerous. Is this true? The boat only leaves once a day at 12:30 I am told. Anyone know the cost? I don't know how long the bus ride is from Chiang Mai to Thaton and/or if there is a bus that does not stop at every single village along the way. The government bus I see going up Chang Phueak every day does not look too comfortable for a long ride! If I left early enough in the morning, is it possible to make the boat by 12:30? Has anyone stayed in Thaton overnight? Anything to do/see there ? Lastly, where exactly does the boat let you off in Chiang Rai and are there tuk tuks or a bus to get you in to town? Thanks!

SGA has "suspended" their Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai routes for several months. They accepted our reservation for a trip next week (and charged our credit card) a couple weeks ago. After a week they finally emailed me saying simply that the flights I'd booked had been cancelled. No explanation. I visited their website and was able to book the identical flights. I called their customer service number and they did confirm that those flights were cancelled but they offered to book us for flights the day before or the day after our original reservation. So I replied to the cancellation email and learned that they'd suspended the CM-CR service for several months but hadn't yet changed their website or informed their telephone reservation agents.