Which One Of Tablet Pcs To Choose And Where?

Maramook

I'm about to buy a tablet PC in Bangkok for approximately 8 - 11000 baht. I'd probably choose Apple due to quality if I had Mac. But I don't have Mac, thus, I won't be able to make programs for it so it has to be Android.

So what are your thoughts about the place in Bangkok where to buy it (MBK, Pantip Plaza, anything else?) and especially which one to choose?

Edited by Maramook

If you're looking at Android tablets I highly recommend the Nexus7........it's running the latest version of Jelly Bean and 32G is more than I need..........it also fits in a pocket which is important for me..........I've had no problems with this tablet whatsoever.........

I went trawling through mbk last week looking for the N7 and didn't see it.

Its available through grey import but can't remember which thai website I saw it on.

The N7 is available with 3g. The n10 isn't I think.

N10 is hard to find as well at the moment.

There've been a lot of reported bug problems with JB version 4.2... 4.1 has had much less in the way of bugs... Something to consider.

A lot depends on what you want to do with a tablet, in terms of making any good recommendations.

If 3G data is important, a lot of the tablets don't come with built-in 3G data capacity, i.e., they're Wifi only. Although, a lot do have the capability to add an external 3G dongle that you'd need to buy at extra cost. That kind of difference ought to figure in. Are you looking for built-in 3G data, don't mind going the dongle route, or only need Wifi?

The Nexus 7 got a lot of good reviews... But it also had a lot of complaints about the screen separating from the tablet bezel on, I believe, the original 8 GB models. I haven't heard the same issue so much on the newer 16 or 32 GB models. The 7 also got dinged for lacking a micro SD slot, no USB mass storage or TV out capability, not having a rear camera and the front one only being 1.2 MP, and not that great audio. I'd also wonder about support for the device here, if it was needed.

Samsung tablets certainly are more widely found, sold and supported here, and of course they make a large number of different models to suit various tastes/needs and budgets.

The ASUS Transformer line (various models) also have gotten generally good reviews, ASUS being the manufacturer of Google's Nexus 7. ASUS's own models probably have some better specs and broader hardware capacity, because they're not meant to be an "ecosystem" device like the Nexus 7 or Amazon's Kindle Fire/HD, both of which are lower priced models aimed at getting you to use/buy Google Play or Amazon store items.

And if price is a concern, Chinese maker Onda lately has come out with some very good specced models (v971/972) at some great prices.

Best advice is sit down, start looking at the specs for the various models that are easily found online, including in various threads here on ThaiVisa, and start deciding what features are important to you, and what things you might not care about. Begin narrowing down the models. And then read the reviews of what buyers/users are saying about those models. There are specific threads here on ThaiVisa re a lot of the more popular particular models, and other threads with just general discussion/debate on different tablet models.

You can take a look thru this recent TV thread for starters:

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

Check out the Samsungs. Their Tab and Note tablets are pretty cool and it seems you get a lot more features for less cost than an Apple. They are running Android.

They usually cost too match. I have about 10 000 baht to buy something.

What size are you looking for? The 10 inch Onda V972 has Ipad specs (including retinal display) and all the ports Apple won't give you, but can be found for 7000.

Can I buy it in Bangkok for sure?

it looks good, but it's Chinese that's why I hesitate.

Edited by Maramook

I went trawling through mbk last week looking for the N7 and didn't see it.

Its available through grey import but can't remember which thai website I saw it on.

The N7 is available with 3g. The n10 isn't I think.

N10 is hard to find as well at the moment.

that's a shame.

What size are you looking for? The 10 inch Onda V972 has Ipad specs (including retinal display) and all the ports Apple won't give you, but can be found for 7000.

have you a link to somewhere i can buy this.

I have just bought a ainol hero 1, its 10" and i am pleased, i use a 3g dongle.

there is a hero 2 with quad core now, also a 8.9" firwire/spark model is available, with 2048*1536 retina display, with a quad core here - http://www.mahaphone.com/product/46/ainol-novo-9-spark-firewire-quad-core-%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%AD-9-7-ratina-%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%94%E0%B9%86-%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A1-2-%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%B4%E0%B9%8A%E0%B8%81

I saw the your thread about choosing a tablet. Which one did you buy eventually? What do you think about ainol?

Here is a couple of posts with links to Onda prices online, from the choosing a tablet thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/592098-choosing-a-tablet/page__st__350#entry6031645

Board menber Pib seems to be very knowledgeable with Onda tablets

I intend to get the V972 myself, but last week I got the Ainol Novo7 Flame. It was not the one I was going to get, but my computer was down, and the selection Chinag Rai is not very robust. Anyhow the flame is a great little tablet and it is getting constant use currently. Obviously I need 2. Nothing wrong with Ainol. My tablet is 1.5 GHZ dual core and the rear cam is 5MP. Not bad for 6000.

But my next tablet will be a 10 inch for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I think, for a guy who doesnt carry a handbag you should get the samsung note. It will fit on pocket. Its like a cross between a tablet and a phone.

I cant see point in havnig a tablet that needs to go in a bag. Why not use laptop instead? Unless that is you are a woman and always carry a bag

• Like 1

I don't know if the Novo 10 hero dual core is the exact same design as the quad core, but if so they have very nice folding book cases dedicated for the Novo 10 at Zeer rangsit.

One floor up from NPE at the same side of the building, look for a booth named Pineapple.

• 2 weeks later...

have you a link to somewhere i can buy this.

I have just bought a ainol hero 1, its 10" and i am pleased, i use a 3g dongle.

there is a hero 2 with quad core now, also a 8.9" firwire/spark model is available, with 2048*1536 retina display, with a quad core here - http://www.mahaphone.com/product/46/ainol-novo-9-spark-firewire-quad-core-%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%AD-9-7-ratina-%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%94%E0%B9%86-%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A1-2-%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%B4%E0%B9%8A%E0%B8%81

Where is the Mahaphone shop? Pantip?

I bought ainol novo (10) quard and now I can't find a case for it. There are only cases for iPad and Samsung.

Can I just ask the reason(s) why you didn't go for the Onda V972? Just it seems to be getting good reviews on Tvisa

Is that so? I wouldn't say that.

I simply didn't find onda.