Road Safety Awareness

thumbsup.gif

3 Always approach curves with caution and reduced speed, especially in mountain roads.

4 Be aware of the dimensions and weight of your car.

Hope i can learn something here especially because i am driving the family car in Thailand a lot..

Good thread, let's roll!

Edited by Dancealot

There is one in Lami now close to the Wat.

I've seen people during the day on a motorbike with one hand golding an umbrella to stay out of the Sun, the other hand holding a phone and stearing with their feet.

For years I thought this was (only) a circus act:)

Yes that looks like local kids here on their way home yesterday. Bless

• Like 1

everybody knows if you take your eyes off the road ,you risk death on samuis roads

and ive just seen this new sign because i was walking at the market

they couldnt have put it any higher? or in a less busy place ?

because if you look at this sign when your on your bike at 5 pm when half of samui is stopping in front of you it will be the last sign you ever see

Perhaps the "Give way" signs that adorn the roundabout on Chaweng lake road can be enhanced by a clip demonstrating what they actually mean?

Edit: Here's an example from the 70's smile.png

need to make a smaui version lol

The BiB are going to have to adapt to the enforcement judging by something I saw on SBN Network the other day.

2 foreigners detained following reports of suspicious behaviour were released after some hours when it was accepted that using helmets and not riding a motorcycle while drunk cannot in itself be considered suspicious behaviour. Sgt. Assam who rushed back from the scene upon hearing that someone was at the station with a notepad and camera, said the 2 'perps' should consider themself lucky following the discovery of lint and a number of grains of sand in the pocket of the male, soon to be guilty, tourist. If people think they can just walk off with Thailand's beaches then they need to think again.

Maybe another step forward would be the police have regular road blocks and fines that make people wear hats, fined to 2-3 times per week would work. Downside a 150 baht hat from tesco covers the law

i don't think that more road blocks are in order. yes they are needed but the balance betwen peoples common sense and law should favour people enjoying this place. i would hate for tourists to go home with 20 tickets for helmet checks and speeding. i know helmets should be a must but common sense should also be drummed into people

i dont think there is many o fus that wear hemlets when popping down the road to grab a drink from the 7/11 there again late at night and drunk even u you are not drunk then u could be hit by a drunk driver then helmets should be a must and for long journeys and specially for kids,

i know some people cannot afford rented cars and taxis but there is not enough helmets made to fit small chiuldren should they havce little choice but to use a motor bike to get from A to B

everybody knows if you take your eyes off the road ,you risk death on samuis roads

and ive just seen this new sign because i was walking at the market

they couldnt have put it any higher? or in a less busy place ?

because if you look at this sign when your on your bike at 5 pm when half of samui is stopping in front of you it will be the last sign you ever see

Quite obviously a sign from above . . .

The Thai seem to have developed a unique art form with their notices and signs. I remember when I applied for my driving licence I was dithering in the vehicle office in Lipai Noi, hoping that I had all the documents and forms and photos I was going to need. I had to wait a while and gazed around - and then saw it. A notice in English about the things needed - placed conveniently underneath one of the windows at knee height, about 18 inches off the floor!

(Not to mention the first time I went by road to Phuket. I headed from Donsak towards Surat Thani, looking out for route 44 on my left. When I got to Surat and hadn't seen it I turned back - and got almost back to Donsak before I realised I'd missed it again and so asked someone. Sure enough there it was on the left - but not signposted on the main road - no route marking until about 100 yards after I'd turned off the main road into it - just to let you know that you were on it after all!)

And then there's remembering not for forget 'my belonging' on the Seatran ferry - but that's a different kettle of tom yam altogether . . .

TIT - doncha just leurve it!

R

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

i just renewed my thai licence and had to do the perithural [spell check not working ] vision test

try passing that test with a full face helmet on???

i think samui should be a helmet FREE city and then the BIB could concentrate on catching the smokers who ruin our dining experience

that way the authorities could rightly claim to be environmentally friendly as well and promote samui as more eco friendly

the BIB would also be able to make a huge amount more tea money as the fine for smoking in unauthorized place is 2000 baht and 20,000 for the establishment

and they wouldn't have to stand in the hot sun either to make their quota

they could do well by starting at the arrivals area at the airport

i just renewed my thai licence and had to do the perithural [spell check not working ] vision test

try passing that test with a full face helmet on???

i think samui should be a helmet FREE city and then the BIB could concentrate on catching the smokers who ruin our dining experience

that way the authorities could rightly claim to be environmentally friendly as well and promote samui as more eco friendly

the BIB would also be able to make a huge amount more tea money as the fine for smoking in unauthorized place is 2000 baht and 20,000 for the establishment

and they wouldn't have to stand in the hot sun either to make their quota

they could do well by starting at the arrivals area at the airport

Yes smoking in public places is such a huge issue here isn't it. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Yes smoking in public places is such a huge issue here isn't it. biggrin.png

The member does have a point regarding law but this is off topic.

Is it illegal to smoke while riding a motorbike I wonder?

Yes but this is a tropical island in Thailand and no ones interested. thumbsup.gif