New Varieties Of Potatoes Here.......

jaideeguy

Was in the Big C extra [the old carreforre] and found a demo girl with 4 new varieties potatoes and they had a tropical variety of my favorite potato .....the russet and @ 79thb/kilo, I splurged on a kilo and they were fantastic.They had a thick tasty skin and fluffy white flesh. Best potato I've had in the tropics. Going back for more and hope that the price goes down.

just wanted to share with other potato lovers that are bored with the bland tasting tropical varieties here.

• Like 2

I think that the russets and others like a cooler temperature and have to be grown up in the mountains. The common variety that gets to the market here is thin skinned and is commonly used for Lay's Chips, but it's not a good baking potato IMHO.

I also miss the little round salad potatoes from back in the US, but have never seen them here.

Here in the land of rice, i find the lowly potato a luxury food.

I like, which might be what your referring to, is what I call the Red Bliss, round small soft red skinned, great for potato salad or roasting and grilling, which I have found here on occasion, probably imported and I expect were expensive. (how's that for covering my bases (ass) and using lots of commas, I'm learning however slowly (promise to stat hyphenating more too).

the small round" salad" potatoes (the closest thing i've seen in thailand to new potatoes uk style) can be purchased at

topps udon thani branch + the ground floor supermarket at the centra complex in pattaya, these have a firm texture

when boiled and tend not to fall appart or flake,they come already packed in yellow netting,and i'm pretty sure similar

are on sale in the villa market patts but at an inflated price, which for the life of me i can't recall, so i doubt it would be

eye watering in the first two outlets.

I think that the russets and others like a cooler temperature and have to be grown up in the mountains. The common variety that gets to the market here is thin skinned and is commonly used for Lay's Chips, but it's not a good baking potato IMHO.

I also miss the little round salad potatoes from back in the US, but have never seen them here.

Here in the land of rice, i find the lowly potato a luxury food.

Potatoes origanated in Peru in the Andes there is some thing like 70 varites. I think they like the cooler climate as i9n the States the Idaho potatoes are well thought of.

There are many different variates here and a potato lover will shop around and find the one that suits him. There is no shortage it just requires a little work to dig them all out.

Potatoes origanated in Peru in the Andes there is some thing like 70 varites. I think they like the cooler climate as i9n the States the Idaho potatoes are well thought of.

There are many different variates here and a potato lover will shop around and find the one that suits him. There is no shortage it just requires a little work to dig them all out.

clap2.gif

Just returned from Big C extra and most have sold out most and the remaining are all mixed up, but I managed to find a kilo of the russet type and if I can resist eating them, I'll try to sprout them and grow them at home in bamboo baskets with mulch.....works with the ordinary potatoes. Seems these are grown on Doi Inthanon @ 1,000mt.

Any tips on getting them to sprout quickly??

Edited by jaideeguy

Just returned from Big C extra and most have sold out most and the remaining are all mixed up, but I managed to find a kilo of the russet type and if I can resist eating them, I'll try to sprout them and grow them at home in bamboo baskets with mulch.....works with the ordinary potatoes. Seems these are grown on Doi Inthanon @ 1,000mt.

Section the potatoe, leaving at least 1 eye per section, store for a few days in a dark, cool area, Do not store in plastic/airtight bag.

Section the potatoe, leaving at least 1 eye per section, store for a few days in a dark, cool area, Do not store in plastic/airtight bag.

Slapout....

Would it help to put them in the damp shredded coconut husk that holds moisture work to induce sprouting and root development??