Anyone On Here Have A Fifo Or Rotational Job. I Have A Salary Question

Having been asked if I am interested in a rotational job 4/4 and having never had a rotational Job or a Fly in / Fly out job before how does the salary scale work? I should add this is a shore based job.

In a "normal" job one gets paid for time spent on the job. I am used to either charging by the day or being paid by the month. For rotational jobs how is the time away from the job treated? As paid time? As unpaid leave? Or is it a case of working double hours on and none off.

For ease of calculation a "normal" job at $10,000 a month is around 160 hours a month or 22 days. So in a two moth period one would work either 44 days or 320 hours. So how does FI/FO work? for a 4 weeks on / four weeks off routine.

Maybe it is simple and I am reading too much into this.

Are you being hired as an employee, or as a consultant? It makes a difference and will be determined if they take care of your work permit versus if you do. I would suggest being a consultant if possible. On their side it will be easier for legal reasons, plus for you, you can possibly earn more. As a consultant, you take care of your own insurance, social security and work permit. These things allow you a higher pay scale. Ask for a retainer fee worked out over the period (to protect yourself from being dropped during the down period) pro rate your actual work time at a higher rate than normal salaried hires, and agree on the working schedule that they require of you. Any extra days that they may need you during down time you can charge above your contract at a favorable rate. I believe that because it is a periodic work schedule, you should negotiate for a high rate. If you take this position, you will be blocked from working elsewhere on your down months because no one will want to hire you on this type of schedule. I'm saying this not knowing what the nature of your work is.

I personally 'consult' for various corporations at a rate much hire than a regular hire. My clients also know that I keep a personal team under me which I can bring in to assist when needed. On two occasions I personally served as a director or manager (on paper) within their organization. In addition, you make your own hours with your clients understanding because you are a consultant and not full time hire. You can have a more flexible schedule as long as your contracted work is completed. One drawback is that you are not available for corporate bonuses unless a performance based fee is worked into your original contract. On occasion the client has a support team under me, other times my own team fills in. This determines the high pay rate. Your client sees you as bringing a team to work, not just the individual.

Make sure you state whether transportation and travel (per diem) costs are included or an additional fee. Good luck

I may add, that this also sounds like a typical job such as in Alaskan fishing which is seasonal. I had a friend that used to earn $US 60k for 4-months on the seas. High risk, short time, high pay. Maybe your job is like this? In which case, you position yourself to get paid to cover your downtime too.

Edited by tomyummer

28/28 / Fly in fly out all depends on what your T&C's ares...for example some people get paid for 28 on and not paid for 28 off, and other others are paid a monthly salary whether on of off, at the end of the day its the annual income you look at not the monthly.

Typically for the offshore guys they are working around a 336 hour month, but getting a month off

It goes without saying if you are doing 28/28 and off time is not paid, your day rate for the month your on is "high" as to cover the month your not being paid, also duration of the work will determine your dayrate as well. Short term rotational will attract a higher day rate than a long term rotational.

If you give a bit more detail on what your T&C's are then will be able to comment further, but if your being offered a 28/28 onshore job, then it would mean that you work 28 days out the month not 22

Edited by Soutpeel

What Soutpeel said but I would add it depends if you're contract or staff?

I have mates doing 28/28 on staff positions paid monthly including their month off, and mates on contract who are paid a day rae for being on the job, nothing for the time off.

They are even working on the same project but the staff guys get less money but more company benefits and security while the contract guys get a bit more money but not regular and can be told on their departure day they won't be wanted back.