How Come Many Thais Seem To Think Farungs Are Christians?

pxlgirl

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that Connect Four was that hand sign made by Roman Catholics.

I am surprised by the number of people, especially Westerners, who ask me what is my Christian name - and they get confused when I say I don't have one.

I believe it's because most Thais follow some form of "Buddhism", in line with family beliefs and assume that we all do the same. Christianity is the dominant religion in most western countries, so not an unreasonable expectation by a peope who simply assume that others, like themselves, will hold some form of belief in the supernatural.

I believe we are ruled by cats, but I try not to shove this belief down other people's throats. I wish those with other, equally bizarre (in my opinion) beliefs would have the same courtesy and leave the rural Thai population the hell alone.

Most Thais dont know much about other various sect of religion in the west..catholic,baptist, mormon, petecost, sda ect..

And they probably would think all are same same anyway, so just presume all are christian

i guess many farang they do ask may be like me and just agree...yes yes christian....because cannot bother to give the long and difficult explanation that will probably only confuse anyway

Anyways the powers that is the opposition to anything that is true always seem to be the stronger, and they do their best to hide any truth..probably succeeded already sad.png

I thought that Connect Four was that hand sign made by Roman Catholics.

I am surprised by the number of people, especially Westerners, who ask me what is my Christian name - and they get confused when I say I don't have one.

Hand signs and handshake all do come from the pagan teachings, and is also use by the secret society, the ......'s who are behind a CERTAIN big church and have already infiltrate all governments and every big power organization in the world

i dont think the .......'s are yet to infiltrate the church of Nana, but dont need to..for sure they would have no trouble to approve its teaching and activitieswhistling.gif

Its always fun explaining in Thai you don't have a religion that your an atheist. They think your completely crazy then, they can accept if your a muslim or a christian, but an atheist, that is a big no no.

Im happy not to have a god to bow too, and selecting my own rules to live by. Surprisingly they look a lot like all the rules from all the religions because they are often based on common sense before people started to abuse them.

But its true most farangs are christian (if only in name)

^ She really knew you before jumping into marriage then eh, not even knowing what sort of religious views you happen to have. blink.png

Hmm, your right, that sort of question really is top of a Thai womens agenda.whistling.gif

No depending on how you look and act is how much money do you have and if its enough to compensate for your faults.

Edited by robblok

Close to 80% of American adults identify themselves as Christians (http://religions.pewforum.org/reports). That's a huge percentage. I'd assume Europeans and other farangs are similar. So the Thais would have it right most of the time.

Not where i am from, its a lot less, not too much bible thumpers in the Netherlands, getting less all the time.

My experience is most Thais can't easily comprehend atheism or agnosticism. However, I don't think there is really HOSTILITY towards that here, just lack of comprehension. In the USA, there is frequently hostility from a majority of people if you come out that way. There is freedom of religion but freedom of no religion is less popular.

My experience is most Thais can't easily comprehend atheism or agnosticism. However, I don't think there is really HOSTILITY towards that here, just lack of comprehension. In the USA, there is frequently hostility from a majority of people if you come out that way. There is freedom of religion but freedom of no religion is less popular.

No hostility, you are right just amazement.

Still the Thais in their way force their beliefs on others. Just look at the days you can't buy alcohol. For religion people should follow the rules out of their free will not get it forced upon them. That is the problem often with religions they put their religious rules into law and force them on everyone. Back in the Netherlands for a long time shops could not be open on a Sunday, now its changing a bit. There are other things id love to mention but they we get a full scale war here on the forum.

IMHO people without religion let others be free to choose what they want while religious people like to force people to see it their way. Crudely put of course and will not apply to everyone. Because of this i get a bit militant at times.. my mistake.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1

When they offer me a drink I refuse and say 'Sorry, cannot, I am a Buddhist'.

Do it and watch their face.

Oh Cbrer, That is priceless. I know monks don't drink, or drink in public anyway. Whats he rules for the non monk Buddhist ?

Depends on your level of devotion, a devout Buddhist would choose to give up a certain number of 'vices' from a long list.

Many will just abstain from their chosen 'vices' on Buddha days.

The list contains such things as Alcohol, smoking, sex, eating meat, eating beef, gambling, drugs .........

So some might choose to abstain from Alcohol, sex and meat on Buddha days, others might choose to abstain from a different list like beef, gambling and drugs all their life.

Nothing to say a devout Buddhist must choose not to drink alcohol, up to you!

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

When they offer me a drink I refuse and say 'Sorry, cannot, I am a Buddhist'.

Do it and watch their face.

Oh Cbrer, That is priceless. I know monks don't drink, or drink in public anyway. Whats he rules for the non monk Buddhist ?

According to the two main versions of Buddhism, a practicing Buddhist should not drink alcohol as it an intoxicant, or more correctly a depressant. if you're interested Google Buddhist Fifth Precept.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

Well, you have to be something. I have thai friends who are atheist and in one case he was refused an ID card unless he wrote a religion on it, and in another case he actually managed to get a "-" or something for religion.

So, in the Thai mindset, if you must have a religion, then what is the white religion? Christianity, of course! (Jesus was white didn't you know? So is God, too. He's also a man. Lives in the clouds and everything. Pretty cool actually. So.. see you at church?)

• Like 1

Well, you have to be something. I have thai friends who are atheist and in one case he was refused an ID card unless he wrote a religion on it, and in another case he actually managed to get a "-" or something for religion.

So, in the Thai mindset, if you must have a religion, then what is the white religion? Christianity, of course! (Jesus was white didn't you know? So is God, too. He's also a man. Lives in the clouds and everything. Pretty cool actually. So.. see you at church?)

Jesus was Jewish, I believe that makes him a 'kairk' in Thai racial culture.

Jesus was Jewish, I believe that makes him a 'kairk' in Thai racial culture.

Whatever he was, his PR has morphed into major league WHITE BOY.
  • Like 1