Soi Dog Killing Cats, What Would You Do?

MacChine

This young adult soi dog was starving and was fostered / saved by a neighbor but now the dog is attacking and killing other neighbor's chicken's and pet cats in almost psychotically violent attacks.

What would you do? Local vet will not consider putting him down and recommends taking him to the Temple, which I think is not a solution, he'll still kill cats and maybe other dogs, and still be a burden, and probably find his way back.

Ditto for local animal shelter, that's inhumane as it gets

The neighbor plans to get poison, but what's a better relatively humane way ?

Any other suggestions to put a dog down ?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The neighbor plans to get poison, but what's a better relatively humane way ?"

I wanted to say "wait, there is a local solution to expect soon."

Another solution would be, to migrate the dog to another location.

Or get him one of this fanncy 'taser' dog collars.

You push the remote, as soon he attacks something!

Edited by noob7

THanks for this response, but I think relocation is just subjecting other cats to death, and he will probably just comeback. These attacks are all at late night, they are for sport only as the animals are not eaten, noone responds to pleas to adopt him, and the dog needs to be put down, so just looking for humane suggestions.

"The neighbor plans to get poison, but what's a better relatively humane way ?" I wanted to say "wait, there is a local solution to expect soon."

THanks for this response, but I think relocation is just subjecting other cats to death, and he will probably just comeback. These attacks are all at late night, they are for sport only as the animals are not eaten, noone responds to pleas to adopt him, and the dog needs to be put down, so just looking for humane suggestions.

"The neighbor plans to get poison, but what's a better relatively humane way ?" I wanted to say "wait, there is a local solution to expect soon."

And what about cats killing birds for sports ? Is that any different ? Should they be put down too ?

• Like 1

Yes, I think another vet will give the drugs, but will take someone to make a long drive.

Cats killing birds does not compare to this dog, who has flouted his chance to be part of a human community. I've seen the attacks, no sympathy for him.

He's lucky to not have been beaten to death and he's lucky to not have rat poison used on him.

Some poisons are more cruel that others. I have read that rat-bait is a slow and very pain-fall death compared to other options.

Now, I can not recommend other option though after saying that. Maybe someone else has more knowledge on the subject.

Shame on the vet I say. coffee1.gif

Edited by MacChine

The dog is no longer welcome, he's a killer, and no one wants the expense of building a fence for a dog that's a killer.

THe vet willnot put him down, the other optionis govt shelter which are horrid.

Though actually seems his punishment fits the crime- go to a horrible jail, so I guess I'll suggest that and offer to take him, but also am just informed the govt shelter is no longer accepting dogs.

I could sell him to a truck heading to a Vietnamese dog kitchen!!

So any dog lovers here wanna adopt a psycho cat killer dog?? Send me a pm by midnight tomorrow, he's on reprieve until then.

And am still looking for humane options on euthanasia.

Edited by MacChine

And what about cats killing birds for sports ? Is that any different ? Should they be put down too ?

just add a bell collar to the cat. no more bird kills

Do the same for the dog... no more cat kills. Anyway i have seen my dog chase cats and so far did not catch them. Its real unusual for a dog to get the cats.

Let Robblok have him, he does not think there is a problem.

I think its a windup story. I got 2 dogs and they chase cats and im sure they would bite a cat if they could get them. But in all my time i never seen them even get close to catching one. Its rare for a dog to be able to do that and then doing that many times like the OP says and insisting on the killing.. windup story.

Bit confused. Is it still a soi dog or is it the neighbour's dog, the one that fostered him?

Another question, what sort of a cross is he? Some dogs have an extremely high prey drive naturally. I own two siberian huskies and while they are friendly to people and most other dogs, you cannot under any circumstances leave them alone with any sort of "cuddly" animals, especially cats! Rabbits, hamsters, etc, ex before you know it.

To me, the humane answer is to re-locate. If that is not possible, and can't be trained out of it (highly unlikely if a soi dog) and you want cats in your neighbourhood, then put him down.

But always have that against your conscience that humans kill because the natural instincts of other animals doesn't meet their social standards.

Actually, that last line about conscience was put in just to make you feel bad; I do understand your situation..................tongue.png

Bit confused. Is it still a soi dog or is it the neighbour's dog, the one that fostered him?

Another question, what sort of a cross is he? Some dogs have an extremely high prey drive naturally. I own two siberian huskies and while they are friendly to people and most other dogs, you cannot under any circumstances leave them alone with any sort of "cuddly" animals, especially cats! Rabbits, hamsters, etc, ex before you know it.

To me, the humane answer is to re-locate. If that is not possible, and can't be trained out of it (highly unlikely if a soi dog) and you want cats in your neighbourhood, then put him down.

But always have that against your conscience that humans kill because the natural instincts of other animals doesn't meet their social standards.

Actually, that last line about conscience was put in just to make you feel bad; I do understand your situation..................tongue.png

Chris, i got bangkaew dogs they kill mice if they can get them (i get the occasional mouse in the house). They chase cats, but they cant catch them. In your opinion do you think dogs can easily kill cats and kill many cats (many nights on a row). The times i seen my dogs chase cats they were up a tree .. under a car, in a car wheel.. always too fast.

THis was a stray mixed breed soi dog who was being fed regularly and by several neighbors, even myself so not sure what label to use.

. He's white and another neighbor was saying this colour tends toward this prey behavior..?

l I cannot prove this to readers on a forum, but the dog is killing cats, seen it myself so ... still looking for answers to the topic. As written he is quite adept at getting loose from his ties, this was the first solution that failed, no one thought of the muzzle, good idea but at this point the dog needs to go and has worn out his welcome and may start biting kids next.

The cat of mine he killed was very special, so I don't mind if he gets put down, though life in a Thai shelter is attractive punishment If put down, I don't want him to suffer more than he needs to.

Edited by MacChine

Chris, i got bangkaew dogs they kill mice if they can get them (i get the occasional mouse in the house). They chase cats, but they cant catch them. In your opinion do you think dogs can easily kill cats and kill many cats (many nights on a row). The times i seen my dogs chase cats they were up a tree .. under a car, in a car wheel.. always too fast.

the mentioned is a pet cat not feral cat. besides if a dog intent was to kill and not chasing off territorty, the chances of snapping a feral cat is there, let alone a household cat

the mentioned is a pet cat not feral cat. besides if a dog intent was to kill and not chasing off territorty, the chances of snapping a feral cat is there, let alone a household cat

My dogs must be really dull then and they are Bangkaew, they cant get near a pet cat. Chances must be pretty slim and not like the OP says multiple cats in a short period. Sorry i just don't buy it given my experience. Besides leashing or muzzeling the dog are options.

And sure a cat with a bell can still kill a bird.. lets kill all cats. Same as a dog MIGHT kill a cat kill the dog.

Bangkaews I know very well (they originated where I am currently living) and are another dog with a very high prey drive. What I have observed over the last few years are that a lot of families have both cats and dogs, and generally they co-exist with very little problems. When the cats go for their walk-about, their natural fear of dogs is slightly diminished.

This 2 or 3 seconds is usually enough between life and death. But this is only my thoughts on this.

I have been witness to my dogs killing 3 cats, numerous rats, pigeons and egrets. The dogs are never out by themselves and are off the lead in recognised "exercise" areas. Certainly not proud of this fact, and have no doubt that the cats have belonged to someone.

Perhaps the cats in your area are a bit more street-wise.................laugh.png

But I do agree, to kill cats on a regular basis over a short period of time would be odd.

why not chain him up at night as a starter..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That will make him bark all night.

The ship is sailed, I think. Would need a lot of training and a lot of time.

But no one wanna be responsible, anyway, so.....!

We are discussing right now if he actually did get that second shot of rabies vaccine- but he has no other symptoms and is healthy. Poor guy he knows he's in deep poo poo , but I saw my cat's neck broken by him, so... just hasn't got my compassion anymore.

He has three separate lines tying him up now, and just snapped at a passing cat !!

Maybe I should add the saga to You tube !! Kill Dogham Style, Oh Yeah! Sexy B*tch

Bangkaews I know very well (they originated where I am currently living) and are another dog with a very high prey drive. What I have observed over the last few years are that a lot of families have both cats and dogs, and generally they co-exist with very little problems. When the cats go for their walk-about, their natural fear of dogs is slightly diminished.

This 2 or 3 seconds is usually enough between life and death. But this is only my thoughts on this.

I have been witness to my dogs killing 3 cats, numerous rats, pigeons and egrets. The dogs are never out by themselves and are off the lead in recognised "exercise" areas. Certainly not proud of this fact, and have no doubt that the cats have belonged to someone.

Perhaps the cats in your area are a bit more street-wise.................laugh.png

But I do agree, to kill cats on a regular basis over a short period of time would be odd.

Edited by MacChine

OP

The dog belongs to no one, he showed up last year as young adult stray , starving and was helped by a neighbor and has been a soi dog within the neighborhood and has been vaccinated, etc by various neighbors, me included.

The neighbor plans to get poison, but what's a better relatively humane way ?

Tell your neighbour to keep the dog within his premises. rolleyes.gif

I am surprised no one has suggested a bullet.

Quick (humane), cheap.

This is very common method used by farmers. You might have a problem with discharging a firearm assuming you can get one. Or pay the local cop to do it for you. That way you won't have a problem with the law.

• Like 1