Is Pattaya More Dangerous Than It Used To Be...?

coralia

I haven't been to Thailand in more than two years, but I keep hearing and reading that it's becoming more and more dangerous (Thailand in general, and Pattaya in particular)... is that really the case? Most incidents I read about seem to take place late at night in isolated locations. Is Pattaya any more dangerous than it used to be for people who just go to the beach, walk the streets in broad daylight, don't go out at night, don't go to bars etc....? This may sound like a silly question, but I'm planning to return to Pattaya next summer with my elderly mother, and if Pattaya has turned into some sort of jungle I may think twice about it...

Thank you.

• Like 1

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nonsense.........Pattaya-Jomtien is far less secure (far more dangerous) than it used to be. While you can minimize the probability that you will be a victim of crime (or an assault) by not getting drunk and frequenting the bars late at night,k it does not necessarily matter what you are doing and when you are doing it. Innocent people who have not provoked an attack have been attacked by nut-cases. There are too many "crazy," aggressive, hate filled, violenc- loving people here now. I feel lucky that I never invested heavily in this place and can easily move. Also, I am lucky that my job allows me to take positions in various parts of the world that are much safer than Thailand. Yes, I know, "don't let the door hit you on the &^% when you leave."

• Like 1

Patta

Based on the purpose of your visit - no, Pattaya is not less secure. Just use basic common sense not showing expensive jewel, not wave wads of cash etc. and you'll be able to enjoy it as you did 2y ago.

I agree. Trouble tends to find those who go looking for it. If you don't draw attention to yourself it's no more dangerous than any other tourist resort.

• Like 2

Do you really want to spend holiday with your mom while being on the watch for a violent assault/robbery 24/7 ?

Locking yourself up in the hotel after sunset sounds like a good idea safety wise but won't it be boring to spend a holiday like a prisoner at nighttime ? unsure.png

Pattaya apologists always make irrelevant comparisons like referring to other cities crime rate. We are only concerned with the crimes involving tourists and foreigners. And in this case Pattaya has undoubtedly the highest crime rate in the world. It also has the highest tourist involvement in crimes than the rest of Thailand put together excluding Phuket which is fast catching up. Or does Thai Visa only report crimes in Pattaya and Phuket.?

Pattaya apologists always make irrelevant comparisons like referring to other cities crime rate. We are only concerned with the crimes involving tourists and foreigners. And in this case Pattaya has undoubtedly the highest crime rate in the world. It also has the highest tourist involvement in crimes than the rest of Thailand put together excluding Phuket which is fast catching up. Or does Thai Visa only report crimes in Pattaya and Phuket.?

I assume you can direct us to the source of your statistics so the OP can make an informed decision.

I think the crime rate has increased over the years but still better than most of the USA cities I have lived in. You can't really rely on statistics. I'm talking about the feeling on the streets. I have seen MUCH WORSE. Nowhere near the highest crime rate in the world.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Do you really want to spend holiday with your mom while being on the watch for a violent assault/robbery 24/7 ?

Locking yourself up in the hotel after sunset sounds like a good idea safety wise but won't it be boring to spend a holiday like a prisoner at nighttime ? unsure.png

Absolutely not. I wake up at 5 A.M. to practice Yoga and meditation, so going to bed early is always a good idea. smile.png

I have to say that I have always felt very safe in Pattaya (and everywhere in Thailand, for that matter), so I'm finding all this talk about safety issues very saddening... Thailand used to be such a safe and relaxing place for us western women, as opposed to other countries in the region... I hope that's not about to change.

Well, many thanks to all of you. I'll have to think more about it...

You must have your own reasons for re-visiting Pattaya , otherwise I'd suggest that there are so many much nicer places in Thailand that I would take my elderly mother to .

Well, a few years ago I would have preferred Chiang Mai, but it has become extremely polluted, and my mother hates it since she was hit by a car there some 7 years ago... Besides, she likes the sea. So I could almost say that I'm planning to go to Pattaya for her sake!

+1

I think tourists to Mexico, Jamaica, Brazil and South Africa (among a few) would argue about this....though Thailand does have a high crime rate. It's nowhere near the worst. I've only had problems here from other farangs. Never from Thais.

My last trip to Europe included my wife's purse being snatched (Portugal), several pickpocket attempts (Madrid and Paris), numerous street scam attempts (golden ring, overcharging, short changed, etc), and viewing of a few pickpocket attempts on others, which were luckily thwarted by alert people nearby. The trip before included pretty much the same stuff in Italy/Greece.

Pattaya is growing dramatically. I think bigger cities who focus on tourists are prime spots for criminals. Unfortunately. Luckily, it's mostly petty crime.

What absolute nonsense! But I'm assuming it was posted as a joke!

I think like with many topics you have to distinguish between Pattaya and Thailand. They are very different things.

I have been here for 7 years now and in my opinion I would say yes Pattaya is more dangerous than a few years ago. For several reasons.

Thailand in general is a bit harder to say but from the travel I have done it seems to be roughly the same, fairly safe !

Edited by rinteln

Besides, she likes the sea. So I could almost say that I'm planning to go to Pattaya for her sake!

What with that and the yoga and the early nights, I suspect that you might find Jomtien more suitable than Pattaya. You can easily get from there to Pattaya for 10B on the bahtbus if you want to.

Having looked at the other thread about the famous "bahtbus" between Jomtien and Pattaya (the thread started by Jingthing), I would say that's not a good idea... We have a very nice place to stay in Pattaya, or else we wouldn't be thinking of going there at all.

Hua Hin would have been much nicer... but it's too expensive sad.png .

I think tourists to Mexico, Jamaica, Brazil and South Africa (among a few) would argue about this....though Thailand does have a high crime rate. It's nowhere near the worst. I've only had problems here from other farangs. Never from Thais.

My last trip to Europe included my wife's purse being snatched (Portugal), several pickpocket attempts (Madrid and Paris), numerous street scam attempts (golden ring, overcharging, short changed, etc), and viewing of a few pickpocket attempts on others, which were luckily thwarted by alert people nearby. The trip before included pretty much the same stuff in Italy/Greece.

Pattaya is growing dramatically. I think bigger cities who focus on tourists are prime spots for criminals. Unfortunately. Luckily, it's mostly petty crime.

Next time, go to Scandinavia! tongue.png

• Like 1

Hey dude,even if I agree that the situation is turning to the dark side,but this is stillTHAILAND- it is not bloody Africa nor south America .shit can be happened everywhere and as I always say-play with fire and you will get burned.behave yourself well,respect the culture,smile ,don't take anyone's face and you are fine.in 20 years visiting and residing in TH I never encountered any problem.....