Modem And Connection Question(S) Maybe 1 For Techies....

pattayadingo

TOT today say my upload and download speeds are incorrect. The data rate should be 1024? & 512?

Current modem status figures are shown below.

Downstream Upstream

SNR Margin 11.5 22.5 db

Line Attenuation 15.0 10.3 db

Data Rate 8192 511 kbps

They tell me this might be why I am having infrequent connections and my ADSL light is off so much.

If the above figures should be different, is it the modem(s) setup or a problem at their end? If at their end what is possibly the problem?

Trying to connect long enough to the internet to find out is proving difficult.

Thanks

These are for your line stats to see if everything is oke.

Noise Margin

5db or below =bad, no sync/intermittent sync

8db-13db = average - and no sync issues

14db-22db = very good

23db-28db = excellent

29db-35db = rare, can throw a rock at co/remote

Line Attenuation

below 20 = rare, great copper lines, close to co/remote

20-30 = excellent

30-40 = very good

40-60 = average

60-65 = poor

65 and above will have issues

If the value is not good, it has an affect with Internet

connection. You can provide this information with your ISP for

checking.

Ps: Is your modem capable of handling Higher Speeds cq ADSL2+ ??

• Like 1

SNR Margin 11.5 22.5 db

Line Attenuation 15.0 10.3 db

Data Rate 8192 511 kbps

Your modem is only reading, what it gets from TOT.

You download is about 2000kbps to slow.

It's their job, to correct it. Since they know about, much easier for them!whistling.gif

What you can try, for your connection:

'play' with the dsl modulation type settings.

In case, the router is set to a type, write it down.

Mostly it's untrained, anyway. Means it's trying to negotiate the modulation and the syncro itself with the other side.

Try ADSL2 and ADSL multimode, first. Good chance, that you can get it more stabil.

Edited by noob7

The line stats look good.

Based on how most modem UI's present information, it looks like you line can support data rates as high as 8.192 Mega-bits per second downstream and 511 Kilo-bits per second upstream. Given, based on your statement, that your subscribed data rate is 1.024 Mega-bits per second downstream and 512 Kilo-bits per second upstream, then you should be getting service as subscribed. Note sure what the issue is here? (Maybe there is a typo in the OP and the subscribed downstream data rate is supposed to be 10 Mega-bits per second?)

Can you share the brand/model of modem?

Did the service ever work acceptably? If so, for how long, and when did things change?

Noise Margin

14db-22db = very good

23db-28db = excellent

Line Attenuation

20-30 = excellent

30-40 = very good

40-60 = average

60-65 = poor

checking.

Thanks for the info, MJCM. Always wondered what is good and bad re. noise margin and line attenuation.

Here's my "9/1" Mb/s from 3BB (I actually get nearer 16/1 Mb/s):

Bandwidth Down/Up (kbps) .............. 17918 / 1278

SNR Margin Down/Up (dB) ..................13.5 / 25.0 (ave / excellent)

Attenuation Down/Up (dB) ....................4.2 / 3.3 (rare! & >excellent)

Power Down/Up (dBm) ..........................8.2 / 13.3 ( ? / ? )

They are mixing up KB's with Kbps !! And astral is right if you are on 10 Mb plan, you are short changed

absolutely TOT is the worst of all that is bad in ISP but as my location the only one ,, they even plugged in the adsl in a lan port and configured their end modem to work

so i can only use internet through the modem ,, that sucks

tried to have them change back to a normal setting since i'm wanting to set up a VPN network without that horrible TP-link contraption but they just do not come

also many blackouts in the connection on their side ,,, Fridays start about 5 o'clock ,and the whole weekend seems that those kids with their phones get all the bandwidth and leave me with none

sometimes have to resort to using my mobile just to check an email ,, oh yeah 7 Mb is what they give me max on a good day instead of the 7 MB in the nice commercial posters so that gives me about 875 kB /s ,,, stil faster than a post-pigeon

oh yeah 7 Mb is what they give me max on a good day instead of the 7 MB in the nice commercial posters so that gives me about 875 kB /s ,,, stil faster than a post-pigeon

FWIW, 875 Kilo-Bytes per second ( "gives me about 875 kB /s") is equal to 7.0 Mega-bits per second, remembering that there are 8 bits in one Byte.

• Like 1

oh yeah 7 Mb is what they give me max on a good day instead of the 7 MB in the nice commercial posters so that gives me about 875 kB /s ,,, stil faster than a post-pigeon

FWIW, 875 Kilo-Bytes per second ( "gives me about 875 kB /s") is equal to 7.0 Mega-bits per second, remembering that there are 8 bits in one Byte.

that what i said ,, keep in mind that a good day is an extremely rare happening

You have a link to the 7MB commercial poster?

Never seen one. As long you pay 590 baht, the offer is still 7Mb.

And a 'good' day: The 7 Mb is not for you alone, mate. You chosed to chose the offer, the average thai around you is chosing, too!

Change the speed to a offer, that not many people around are going for and voila, you get a better ratio!

It's a simple thing: You chose a speed, that every other line around your house is on, too: They will extend the ratio as much, as possible. You can't prove it. One or two torrent hunter can really spoil the speed in your neigborhood! All day, all night!

You have a link to the 7MB commercial poster?

Never seen one. As long you pay 590 baht, the offer is still 7Mb.

And a 'good' day: The 7 Mb is not for you alone, mate. You chosed to chose the offer, the average thai around you is chosing, too!

Change the speed to a offer, that not many people around are going for and voila, you get a better ratio!

It's a simple thing: You chose a speed, that every other line around your house is on, too: They will extend the ratio as much, as possible. You can't prove it. One or two torrent hunter can really spoil the speed in your neigborhood! All day, all night!

true (not the company) thought i was the local torrent guy hihihi

but those banners indeed i didnt see those a long time allready

but now after 6 months they discount me 30 Thb clap2.gif

no problem we will do with what we get

Noise Margin

14db-22db = very good

23db-28db = excellent

Line Attenuation

20-30 = excellent

30-40 = very good

40-60 = average

60-65 = poor

checking.

Good information there and appreciated. I'm going to copy and paste that info to word pad while I can.

Yes, the modem is ADSL2+

Amazingly TOT phoned me today and said they would check the modem at their office - something they would not do before.

I took the modem in and it tested perfectly OK.

Yet they still tried 3 times to sell me a new modem, especially when I told them how old mine is but mine is still ADSL2+ clap2.gif

Then they said I am too far from the exchange but out here the MBps rates are supposedly better than where I used to live. 6 where I was and 10 where I am. Obviously I am not getting 10 from the data in my first post.

From MJCM's post my attenuation at 15 seems pretty good so distance is not (should not) be the problem.

I have another modem that shows the same data

line state - Showtime

Modulation - ADSL2 PLUS

Annex Mode - Annex_A

SNR Down / Up 16.3 / 23.0 db

Line Attenuation Down / Up 15 / 11 db

Data Rate Down / Up 8192 / 511

All I can do now is to hope my current connection stays as is - or better - with no loss of connection, but armed with the info from you good folks I can at least argue the case better smile.png

edit to clearly show down / Up

Edited by pattayadingo

Can you find some more detailed stats in your modem ??

Like this

Modulation : G.Dmt

Annex Mode : Annex A/L

Line State : up

Lan Tx : 11416935

Lan Rx : 10054288

ADSL Tx : 7732683

ADSL Rx : 7523619

CRC Down : 2

CRC Up : 746

FEC Down : 0

FEC Up : 0

HEC Down : 1336

HEC Up : 1

SNR Up : 22.0

SNR Down : 16.0

Line Attenuation Up : 10.5

Line Attenuation Down : 22.5

The CRCs etc are also very important

Can you find some more detailed stats in your modem ??

Like this

Modulation : G.Dmt

Annex Mode : Annex A/L

Line State : up

Lan Tx : 11416935

Lan Rx : 10054288

ADSL Tx : 7732683

ADSL Rx : 7523619

CRC Down : 2

CRC Up : 746

FEC Down : 0

FEC Up : 0

HEC Down : 1336

HEC Up : 1

SNR Up : 22.0

SNR Down : 16.0

Line Attenuation Up : 10.5

Line Attenuation Down : 22.5

The CRCs etc are also very important

I've opened up the modem and saved each page to show what is in there. Maybe long but I thought at least this way it shows everything. Hope that is not a problem.

Took a long time with the connection failing a lot.

post-146137-0-80909300-1359536032_thumb.

post-146137-0-98576100-1359536044_thumb.

post-146137-0-81140000-1359536063_thumb.

post-146137-0-55876600-1359536085_thumb.

post-146137-0-20246900-1359536102_thumb.

post-146137-0-56801700-1359536118_thumb.

post-146137-0-90522300-1359536136_thumb.

post-146137-0-41133300-1359536151_thumb.

post-146137-0-27394000-1359536330_thumb.

post-146137-0-10892800-1359536344_thumb.

post-146137-0-20434100-1359536360_thumb.

post-146137-0-46352900-1359536372_thumb.

post-146137-0-12283700-1359536386_thumb.

post-146137-0-56631300-1359536399_thumb.

post-146137-0-12273200-1359536417_thumb.

post-146137-0-17173100-1359536434_thumb.

post-146137-0-46491200-1359536447_thumb.

post-146137-0-59733500-1359536461_thumb.

post-146137-0-55520600-1359536478_thumb.

post-146137-0-69511600-1359536488_thumb.

In one of the screenshots (Advanced Setup - ADSL - ADSL MODE) I see you have set it to ADSL2+ can you change it there to AUTO ??

Also I see you have your firewall turned off, plus created a rule for Utor (Utorrent), I would advice you to turn your firewall ON.

Edit: //

One question for the other members to discuss.

Under Interface Setup - Ip Address - The TCP MTU Option is empty shouldn't that be 1492 ??

Edited by MJCM

In one of the screenshots (Advanced Setup - ADSL - ADSL MODE) I see you have set it to ADSL2+ can you change it there to AUTO ??

Also I see you have your firewall turned off, plus created a rule for Utor (Utorrent), I would advice you to turn your firewall ON.

Edit: //

One question for the other members to discuss.

Under Interface Setup - Ip Address - The TCP MTU Option is empty shouldn't that be 1492 ??

I'll do that now. Yes, for the Utor so I can run Utorrent to its full extent.

And thanks for the help and time and patience :)

Edited by pattayadingo

Amazingly TOT phoned me today and said they would check the modem at their office - something they would not do before.

Yet they still tried 3 times to sell me a new modem, especially when I told them how old mine is but mine is still ADSL2+ clap2.gif

Then they said I am too far from the exchange but out here the MBps rates are supposedly better than where I used to live. 6 where I was and 10 where I am. Obviously I am not getting 10 from the data in my first post.

hi, sorry for jumping in. how was the discussion with TOT then ?

share with you my incident with True Internet - I got less then 1Mbps from a 10Mbps plan. True technician checked on-site and replaced a Billion modem, but no improvement. called True again then in that afternoon my internet line switching on and off every other 15 minutes. next morning my internet line returned to 8Mbps. True ( the ISP ) certainly fixed some problems from the end.

so, suggest to check with TOT if they have done anything.

share with you my incident with True Internet - I got less then 1Mbps from a 10Mbps plan. True technician checked on-site and replaced a Billion modem, but no improvement. called True again then in that afternoon my internet line switching on and off every other 15 minutes. next morning my internet line returned to 8Mbps. True ( the ISP ) certainly fixed some problems from the end.

I phoned TOT again this morning to see if and when an engineer is coming to the house and to find out what they are doing about my connection.

I spoke to a supervisor who said an engineer is coming to the house sometime in the next few days - sigh - and that he is bringing with him a new wifi modem that I have to buy - double sigh.

Telling him I have 2 modems, one about a month old, makes no difference. I have to have this TOT wifi modem to make my internet work. That my internet works great when connected also makes no difference. (At one point yesterday when connected I was getting a download at over 700 !!). The fact that TOT checked my modem at their office = no difference. They insist I have to have a new TOT modem .... grrrr!!

MJCM here on the forum has looked at my modem screens and pointed out one or two things to alter. Others seem also to believe it is TOT at fault. Yet TOT still insist my modem is the problem.

There seems to be little to convince TOT otherwise, sadly.

If TOT would give me a money back guarantee that their modem will magically make my internet better I'd buy one, but they will not.

Update......

Maybe my attitude about the previous engineer and telling TOT I'd refuse to let him in the house, the TOT shop modem test and the information from this topic has worked - maybe.

2 new engineers turned up and left a few minutes ago. They have tested the modem themselves and also the line on their meter. Checked ping rates and other stuff. They say the modem has nothing wrong with it and that the fault is either in the cable or the connection at their end. They have said they will telephone when they have sorted it out.

I showed them the screen shots I took from 'inside' the modem and armed with information from the good people on here they actually took me seriously.

latest status screen shows....

SNR 17.7 / 23.3 db

Line Attenuation 14.0 / 11.0 db

Data Rate 10240 / 511 kbps

Previously it was .....

SNR 20.0 / 19.1 db

Line attenuation 16.0 / 13.0

Data Rate 8192 / 511 kbps

I'll post again when they have phoned me.

I phoned TOT again this morning to see if and when an engineer is coming to the house and to find out what they are doing about my connection.

I spoke to a supervisor who said an engineer is coming to the house sometime in the next few days - sigh - and that he is bringing with him a new wifi modem that I have to buy - double sigh.

Telling him I have 2 modems, one about a month old, makes no difference. I have to have this TOT wifi modem to make my internet work. That my internet works great when connected also makes no difference. (At one point yesterday when connected I was getting a download at over 700 !!). The fact that TOT checked my modem at their office = no difference. They insist I have to have a new TOT modem .... grrrr!!

MJCM here on the forum has looked at my modem screens and pointed out one or two things to alter. Others seem also to believe it is TOT at fault. Yet TOT still insist my modem is the problem.

There seems to be little to convince TOT otherwise, sadly.

If TOT would give me a money back guarantee that their modem will magically make my internet better I'd buy one, but they will not.

if you plus the wan direct in you pc that would solve the problem then if not the modem is not the fault

if you plus the wan direct in you pc that would solve the problem then if not the modem is not the fault

I think you are a bit confused between a Lan Cable and a Phone Line which goes in to your ADSL Modem.

not really but i thought they were discussing a router not the tot end modem where the signal goes inside your place ,sorry for that

try to get inside that bloody thing myself but the engineer put a custom pasword that even customer service does not know grrrr

I think you are a bit confused between a Lan Cable and a Phone Line which goes in to your ADSL Modem.

not really but i thought they were discussing a router not the tot end modem where the signal goes inside your place ,sorry for that

try to get inside that bloody thing myself but the engineer put a custom pasword that even customer service does not know grrrr

Which modem and from which company ??

have you tried admin or administrator and password tot if you are talking about a TOT one ??

Sorry, misread your post, just saw that the engineer put in a custom Password !

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

Which modem and from which company ??

have you tried admin or administrator and password tot if you are talking about a TOT one ??

Sorry, misread your post, just saw that the engineer put in a custom Password !

it should be as you said or admin tot / servicenumber

but none work even tried the thai favorite password 1234567890

Edited by retell

TOT phoned today.

It seems the problem has now been fixed. At least I have had no down time at all in over 24 hours. And very pleased I am with the end result, but what a way to9 have to go about it all.

Thanks especially to MJCM for your patience :)

Thanks also to the others who also helped :)

Not being funny but I presume you did use the right case letter for the service number.

And apart from as said, admin or 1234 .......

sigh at the way they sometimes seem to cause problems :(

On the other hand, they should know which engineer did call at the house if you have a good idea of the date and morning / afternoon. Maybe he knows what password he used, especially if it is a favourite of his.

As a last resort, is there a reset button / hole on the back that resets your modem to factory defaults? My reset button did. That would mean needing to put the info back in, of course.

yep tried em all ,, yes i know who installed the modem ,even got his mobilenumber seems that he can fix a lot by logging in the system from his house and saves me waiting 3 days i ask him everytime for that login info but he will give me only a look like ,555 nooop

post-117955-0-66142300-1359757665_thumb.