Work Permit On A Multiple Entry Non-O (Marriage)

Hi,

It was always my understanding that I can obtain a work permit with that type of visa. However, it is just a multiple entry visa (marriage) NOT an extension. Theoretically I should have no problems, right?? It even states it under that link:

http://www.thaivisa.com/6-steps-to-one-year-work-permit-and-visa.html

But after having read some comments that some labour departments may make a fuss with that type of visa I'm a bit worried now. Does anybody know anything?

My prospective employer will apply through the Labour Department in BKK...

Thanks

You should have no problem getting work permit.

If married to a Thai a copy of marriage certificate should always be included with application for work permit.

After starting work if your salary is 40K baht you can apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage. You might have to make one border run for another 90 days so you can show 3 months of income proven by tax payments.

Thanks Mario & ubonjoe.

That is quite some useful information.

I wasn't actually aware of that have to make another border run in order to show proof of 3 months income. Don't you think a simple letter from the employer, confirming salary will be enough?

• 2 weeks later...

Since this is all about information-sharing, I would like to give an update:

My work permit is now under consideration with the labour office. Arranging all required documents is quite a work load for employers, so I'm not surprised many companies shun the whole procedure by simply choosing not to employ foreigners. My prospective employer had to run to the labour office twice...

I also needed to make another set of passport pictures because I was not wearing a neck tie on the first ones wacko.png . So beware...!

I'll let you know the outcome...

My first non O was issued in London and had employment prohibited on it. I think there were some threads here that mentioned this caused a problem.

My subsequent non Os have been from Malaysia and do not carry the same endorsement.

I successfully applied for and extended my work permit with these non O visas.

My passport photos were photoshopped to add a suit and tie and were accepted no problem.

My first non O was issued in London and had employment prohibited on it. I think there were some threads here that mentioned this caused a problem.

Immigration and the labor department largely ignore those silly stamps some embassies and consulates put next to the visa (even B visas). Some even say that extensions are not allowed and many people have had them extended.

Believe most Consulate have stopped using that stamp - the original purpose was to inform user of the difference between it and the more common tourist visa with is routinely extended. MFA/Consulates have nothing to do with immigration extensions of stay so were not even thinking of the misunderstanding they were creating with its use - and most honorary Consulates got into asking if applicant was OK with the stamp before actually stamping it (as a few did have issues with immigration officers thinking this must be some official restriction on this specific person). A very messy situation.

Immigration and the labor department largely ignore those silly stamps some embassies and consulates put next to the visa (even B visas). Some even say that extensions are not allowed and many people have had them extended.

I have the same stamp on my visa: "Employment prohibited". I think the easiest way to put it, is to say that "any visa won't exempt you from obtaining a work permit for a particular job". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I got this from some other forum...

What would worry me more is that some labour departments / immigration offices simply don't stick to the law and don't issue the work permit / extension (there are some threads about this on TV). How can these authorities simply choose not to follow the law???

I have the same stamp on my visa: "Employment prohibited". I think the easiest way to put it, is to say that "any visa won't exempt you from obtaining a work permit for a particular job". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I got this from some other forum...

What would worry me more is that some labour departments / immigration offices simply don't stick to the law and don't issue the work permit / extension (there are some threads about this on TV). How can these authorities simply choose not to follow the law???

You don't need any visa to apply for a Work Permit but you will be required to show specific Entry Stamps /Visas for the WP to be physically issued.

Matters in reality are rarely that clear cut; problems arise not so much with Labour/Immigration 'not following the law' but more where there are ambiguities in the various regulations that can be 'read' in different ways - this is where you will find that a Labour Department/Immigration Office in one area will have different policies compared to another purely based on their particular reading of the regulations.

Bottom Line is that in Thailand the WP/Visa issue policies/guidelines are allowed to be locally determined based on the National Regulations