How Many Fat (%) Does This Milk Have? (Image Included)

retoocs01

• 3 weeks later...

Hey retoocs01.....the milk in the pic you posted is 2% fat. You can think of it this way: out of every 100 units of milk, 2 of those units are fat, thus it's "2%". Since the serving size in your pic is 200g, or 2 x 100g.....you would expect a "2 x 100g" serving of 2% milk to have "2 x 2g"....or 4g.....of fat, which is indeed what it has according to your pic.

Then again, I may only be 2% right. :-)

CHEERS!

D

the milk in the pic you posted is 2% fat. You can think of it this way:

out of every 100 units of milk, 2 of those units are fat, thus it's "2%"

Hmm, from which part of the image, do you read that?

PS: The picture is taken from a 2l bottle

The upper part:

post-147752-0-73743500-1361578802_thumb.

is always the same on every bottle, independant from the fat percentage.

I think, the interesting part is this:

post-147752-0-87927500-1361578818_thumb.

Anyway....why do they make it so complicated again?

Edited by retoocs01

the milk in the pic you posted is 2% fat. You can think of it this way:

out of every 100 units of milk, 2 of those units are fat, thus it's "2%"

Hmm, from which part of the image, do you read that?

PS: The picture is taken from a 2l bottle

The upper part:

attachicon.gifmilk2.jpg

is always the same on every bottle, independant from the fat percentage.

I think, the interesting part is this:

attachicon.gifmilk3.jpg

Anyway....why do they make it so complicated again?

Hey retoocs01.....in regards to determining the "% fat" of any food or drink product that has a label whose format is similar to the one for the milk that we're discussing here, there are two critical data points.........and indeed you identified both of them. Cool!

The first data point we need is the serving size, and we can find that in the image you called "the upper part". Without focusing on how to read Thai, there are three Arabic numbers in that image......1, 200, 10. The "200" denotes the serving size (the "1" also tells us serving size, but it's measured in a way that is less useful for our purpose), and the "10" represents the number of servings in the bottle. We can double-check this since we know that the entire contents of the bottle is 2 liters.....and there are 10 servings in the bottle......we can calculate that each serving is 200 ml, or approximately 200 grams. That matches up with the "200" in the image, so I think we are on the right track.

The second data point we need is the total amount of fat per serving, which we find in the image you called "the interesting part". In this image there are four Arabic numbers.....4, 6%, 2.5, 12%. The "4" is total grams of fat, the 6% is the % of the Thai Food And Drug Administration's Daily Allowance for Total Fat, the 2.5 is the amount of saturated fat, and the 12% is the % of the Thai FDA's allowance for saturated fat.

So.....there are 4 grams of total fat per 200ml serving............or we could say 4 units out of 200 units is fat......or put in terms of a percentage, 2% of each serving is fat.....or to directly answer your original question, it's "2% milk". As for the total amount of fat in the bottle, we get that from multiplying the number of servings in the bottle (10) by the total fat per serving (4 grams).....which equals 40 grams of fat. We can do the same math for total saturated fat in the bottle (10 x 2.5 grams = 25 grams).

I often suck at explaining stuff, but I genuinely hope this helps.......and I totally agree with you that food nutrition labels in many countries do little or nothing to help us make better, more healthful, or even just more informed choices.

CHEERS!

D

• 2 weeks later...