Quick Advice Regarding Damaged Laundry

YeahSiam

I've been using a local laundry shop for about a year and they've been ok.

Yesterday, I took in my usual washing load with a view to picking them up today. Went in 30 mins ago and three of my T-Shirts have been damaged. They have designs on them that use a type of glossy print which must not be subjected to excessive heat. The thing is, the shop has cleaned these T-shirts several times with no problem whatsoever.

When I got there, the girl showed me the T-shirts and the damage. The glossy print appears to have melted in some places. She said it happened while they were being dried, NOT ironed. She then asked "You ok, mai?" Naturally I said "No, I'm not ok" but as her English is non-existent as is my Thai, she's asked me to return and speak to the manager/owner later today.

Obviously, the staff member cleaning them this time didn't take care of them. These T-shirts are not cheap and I want them replaced.

If anyone else been in a situation like this, I'd appreciate some advice.

... which must not be subjected to excessive heat

Simple question:

Did you point out this heat limitation the staff when you handed the clothes in for cleaning? did they acknowledge this (in writing?)

If not, forget it - it's not their problem. A 'duty of care' does not apply in this country :)

Simon

• Like 1

Update

It's all good. Went back to see the owner. She said she'd pay for the T-Shirts. She asked how much and I immediately thought that at close on 2000 THB each, there'd be a problem so I told her I'd hop over to Emporium and take photos of them with their price tags.

Returned to the shop, presented the photos of the t-shirts with 1,900 baht tags. She winced a little but, right there and then, she gave me 5,000THB plus no charge for washing, drying and ironing the rest of the load.

Admittedly, I think I got a good result because I'm a regular customer who gives them between 400 and 600 baht every week but it was a nice, pleasant surprise that shows that perhaps good, thoughtful customer service isn't as unheard of here as some would suggest. smile.png

• Like 2

Update

It's all good. Went back to see the owner. She said she'd pay for the T-Shirts. She asked how much and I immediately thought that at close on 2000 THB each, there'd be a problem so I told her I'd hop over to Emporium and take photos of them with their price tags.

Returned to the shop, presented the photos of the t-shirts with 1,900 baht tags. She winced a little but, right there and then, she gave me 5,000THB plus no charge for washing, drying and ironing the rest of the load.

Admittedly, I think I got a good result because I'm a regular customer who gives them between 400 and 600 baht every week but it was a nice, pleasant surprise that shows that perhaps good, thoughtful customer service isn't as unheard of here as some would suggest. smile.png

I was just about to say that if you're a regular punter, they'll probably sort you out but it looks like you've already nailed it.

I can understand why you asked on here but, to be honest, there wasn't much of a chance of getting much more than the usual cynicism from some people who think all Thais are out to get them. Of course, some of them will have justification for it but often, they just regurgitate shit they've read on here or elsewhere.

Glad to hear you got a satisfactory result. thumbsup.gif

Fair play to the laundry, that's good of them, and certainly a place that will keep repeat business if it does that with its customers.

There are a few of them around, but probably not many. I had this happen once a few years back, and they lost a couple of items, both designer. They weren't to happy, but did reimburse the majority of the value.

Edited by mrtoad

you would be very lucky to find any service to take responsibility for an individual item when doing bulk laundry.

in using what is called a wash and fold service without pointing out the special handling instructions or paying for a premuim to handle delicate items most places here or even in the west would have told you to take a walk.

here is a typical disclaimer:

In laundering we are not responsible for any item(s) as wash and fold is processed by weight and not by garment count, as such items are not inspected, therefore we will not be responsible for any claims, including shrinkage, discoloring, runs, rips, tears, or any other damage. This also includes any item claimed loss or missing.

here is another:

Terms of Service

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif Beverly's Laundromat strives to provide its clients with the highest level of service possible.

Terms of Service for Beverly's Laundromat Services:

Beverly's Laundromat services are provided subject to your ("Customer") compliance and acceptance with the terms and conditions set forth below.

Please read the following agreement carefully.

"Customer" use of any of Beverly's Laundromat's services indicates an agreement to be bound by the terms and conditions set forth below.

This agreement is strictly between Beverly's Laundromat and the Customer and does not in any way constitute or imply any relationship with any other parties.

As a condition to using any of Beverly's Laundromat's services, and for the mutual benefit of both Beverly's Laundromat and the Customer, the undersigned ("Customer") agrees to the following terms and conditions:

Garment Care, Missing or Damaged Goods:

Beverly's Laundromat will use reasonable efforts to try to ensure that washing, drying and folding services are maintained at a high level of quality.

Beverly's Laundromat accepts all Customer garments on the basis of weight and does not perform a piece-by-piece count.

Beverly's Laundromat due to time constraints does not read manufacturer suggested care and washing / drying labels.

Beverly's Laundromat uses only front-load washers with an extremely fast extraction cycle to wash all Customer clothes.

Beverly's Laundromat accepts no liability for damage due to normal wear and tear or shrinkage during washing and drying.

Beverly's Laundromat accepts no liability for "special care" and delicate items that require special attention to be cleaned.

Beverly's Laundromat reserves the right to refuse cleaning any garment.

Beverly's Laundromat does not guarantee removal of all stains.

Beverly's Laundromat is not responsible for loss of or damage to any personal or non-cleanable items left in the clothing or bags such as money, jewelry, or anything else.

We ask each Customer to please determine whether they can accept the loss of any garment, if not please do not leave it with us.

"Customer must notify Beverly's Laundromat within 5 business days of receipt of a delivery of any lost or damaged items from that particular delivery, failure to do so constitutes waiver of a claim for any lost or damaged items from that delivery."

How bout you use that money and buy a washing machine now?

No go. I realize it makes good financial sense but my landlord would want it to go outside the condo on the balcony. Give it a year and strong sun, heat, torential rain and dust would destroy it. He offered to build an awning of sorts to protect it but I've seen the standard of work the building maintenance do. Not confidence-inspiring. smile.png

Besides, the laundry shop is good and they clean and iron my stuff to a high standard. This was the first incident and they resolved it on the same day.

Not surprised your angry. Consider these points:

- The owner / staff very likely believe that all farang are rich therefore you are more capable, financially, of replacing the shirts than they are, so you should take

care of this yourself. (This thinking is quite strong with many Thais, and no point in trying to challenge this thinking.) The shop is probably not making a fortune.

- Responsibility to correct damage is not a very solid concept in this country. It's very often labelled as 'just bad luck'.

- Replacement / cash damages could well be seen by the shopowner as 'loss of face' (complicated concept, not all that easy to understand, again not worth

challenging)

- Are there any signs anywhere in the shop or notices on any documents (receipt to acknowledge they have accepted your laundry) about responsibility for

damage to clothes? E.g. 'All care taken but no responsibility'. Doubtful that there would be such signs of course.

- Next time put the special items in another bag and make sure you mention something about special care, or maybe wash them yourself.

- Don't get into any serious or loud arguments, it's just not worth it. And you risk locals taking some form of revenge on behalf of their friend.

- Don't let anger build up, get on with life.

Maybe read the thread again. He got a good result. He ain't angry

Not surprised your angry. Consider these points:

- The owner / staff very likely believe that all farang are rich therefore you are more capable, financially, of replacing the shirts than they are, so you should take

care of this yourself. (This thinking is quite strong with many Thais, and no point in trying to challenge this thinking.) The shop is probably not making a fortune.

- Responsibility to correct damage is not a very solid concept in this country. It's very often labelled as 'just bad luck'.

- Replacement / cash damages could well be seen by the shopowner as 'loss of face' (complicated concept, not all that easy to understand, again not worth

challenging)

- Are there any signs anywhere in the shop or notices on any documents (receipt to acknowledge they have accepted your laundry) about responsibility for

damage to clothes? E.g. 'All care taken but no responsibility'. Doubtful that there would be such signs of course.

- Next time put the special items in another bag and make sure you mention something about special care, or maybe wash them yourself.

- Don't get into any serious or loud arguments, it's just not worth it. And you risk locals taking some form of revenge on behalf of their friend.

- Don't let anger build up, get on with life.

Maybe read the thread again. He got a good result. He ain't angry

Agree, he got a very good result. Actually my reply was submitted well before the OP posted 'the result', but somehow my post was delayed.

The laundry had washed and dried these T-shirts several times before so they knew how to take care of them.

I think if I was a one-time user, I might have been less well dealt with but they can recoup what they lost in a couple of months with my custom. The shop's a bit more upmarket than the usual laundry so they maybe abandoned more typical business practices to cater to foreigners who make up much of their customer base from what I've seen.