The Islands Close To Phuket.

Deserted

Hi all, which of the islands close to Phuket is best for snorkelling? I was looking at coral island off rawai beach the other day, which looks quite good. Are there better ones that are nearby? I don't want to go as far as Phi Phi, I was thinking of something where I could hop in a boat for 10-30 mins or so.

I've been to Coral Island a bunch of times over the years. It was and is nice. But we did have a massive coral bleaching here almost three years ago now. The water temperature reached about 34ºC. The coral is growing back now though. I read there are a lot of boats going out to Racha Islands as well. It's a quite a bit longer boat ride though, never been personally. Good luck and hope you have fun!

Edited by Jimi007

Thanks, how many restaurants are there on coral island about?

Banana Beach is the biggest and most crowded. I usually go to a smaller beach that only has their own restaurant. Food and drink is expensive as everything has to be taken out there by boat. I usually bring my own food and drinks, then just pay them some inflated price for the beach chair. A long tail boat from Rawai is about 1,400 plus tip last time I went.

Banana Beach is the biggest and most crowded. I usually go to a smaller beach that only has their own restaurant. Food and drink is expensive as everything has to be taken out there by boat. I usually bring my own food and drinks, then just pay them some inflated price for the beach chair. A long tail boat from Rawai is about 1,400 plus tip last time I went.

That's there and back rather than one-way?

That's there and back rather than one-way?

There and back. They don't usually leave you there, unless they are very busy and have to make another trip for another group. Along the beach road there is a Rawai municipality sign, with an area with benches, about in the middle area of the beach road. Ask for Sak. He's the president of the Rawai longtail boat association and one of my neighbors. He speaks okay English and will set you up with a boat and driver.