Multiple Entry Non Immigrant O From Kl - The Last Time

I applied for and received a multiple entry, 12 month, non immigrant o visa based on visiting my wife and child a couple of weeks ago. I am over 50 and my business is outside of Thailand. I supplied marriage cert, tabien baan, copy of wife's id card, copy and original of bank book with 400k plus passport copy and copy of my sons passport (can be birth cert)

Received the visa next day no problem, but what was interesting was that they told me I wont be able to do this again. In future all non O multiple entry visa's must be extended inside Thailand. i.e. get a 3 month single entry outide Thailand and then extend at your local immigration office.(or if you have a 12 month O visa extend that in Thailand) They did ask me why I hadn't done this and I truthfully said I was in KL on business.

Reason I hadn't applied for the extension inside Thailand is that I have read of people having hassels and it was easy to get at the embassy.

It is not that big a deal to get the extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai lady.

It is just a matter of some additional documents and copies of them plus a 30 day wait while they consider the extension.

Edit: Lop I read that post also about the extension but I don't consider it real. It has to be for some other reason.

Edited by ubonjoe

And yesterday a poster from Pattaya says immigration told them to go to Laos to obtain a multi entry visa because immigration was no longer extending for marriage reasons. Only time will tell.

Lopburi3,

was that for a first time extension or ... ??

If someone is doing their 90 Days at the Jomtien Immigration in the next couple of weeks maybe they could ask Barry Kenyon.

It was a first time extension and they told him they were not doing them now and to come back in 2 or 3 months. I think in reality there was more to the story than what was posted.

Is this the post ??

http://www.thaivisa....k/#entry6062223

But this guy has a Multiple Entry Visa already and maybe the Immigration Officials just couldn't be bothered because he is already good for a year ???

Edited by MJCM

• 2 weeks later...

hi, i'm italian, 40 years old, with thai wife and 2 years old daughter.

Since my visa is going to expire on the 21th of feb i bought a one way flight to Kuala Lumpur and paid for a 2 night reservation in a 3 stars hotel. 4500 bath already paid to get my 1 year visa in a more confortable way (last year without an hotel reservation i had a terrible experience in a cheap hotel in KL).

Then i read this latest new and i think it's better for me to get the visa in Laos (savannakhet with sawanvegas) in order to surely have a 1 year multi enter visa. Bye bye to my 4500 bath!! Personally i consider that money big money but i don't see how to have it back (air asia tickets not refundable, asiaroom booking as well!). Do you agree with me about this decision??

Furthermore i have another concern that bothers me. My visa on my passport says "Enter before 21 feb 2013". So i guess it expires on the 21th of february which is thursday. My question: will I be able to apply the request of the visa on thursday in order to receive my passport and the visa back on friday (with visa starting from 22 feb)?...or i will be forced to stay until the next monday?

My wife works everyday and expecially on saturday and sunday i'm supposed to take care of my daughter (i don't trust thai babysitters)...it's a problem!

thanks in advance for your time

regards

If you have a multi entry visa now that says enter before 21 Feb all you need to do is exit and return before that date for a new 90 day stay. You do not need a new visa until after that new 90 day stay ends - then you would exit to obtain a new multi entry visa. In KL you should have proof of 100k in a bank account.

Thanks for the updates. I've had several from KL and have never been told I won't get a multi again.

I'm due a new one in August and given there are a number of reports similar to this, I am considering changing to extensions. It also opens up the citizenship route so I should give it some thought.

If you have a multi entry visa now that says enter before 21 Feb all you need to do is exit and return before that date for a new 90 day stay. You do not need a new visa until after that new 90 day stay ends - then you would exit to obtain a new multi entry visa. In KL you should have proof of 100k in a bank account.

Sorry i don't understand.

My visa is a multi entry and expire on the 21st (like i said it says enter before 21 feb 2013). i did it 1 year ago exactly on 22 feb 2012. Are you saying that i can go out of the border and come back before the 21st (for example on the 20th) and obtain 90 more days?

So everyone can do it just one day before the visa expires having 3 more months??? No, it's impossible, i certainly did not understand your message

That is exactly what you can do. Just return for a new 90 day stay - multi entry visas allow almost 15 months use if you enter soon after issue. The visa only needs to be valid for the entry date - you can stay until the normal 90 day permitted to stay date.

That is exactly what you can do. Just return for a new 90 day stay - multi entry visas allow almost 15 months use if you enter soon after issue. The visa only needs to be valid for the entry date - you can stay until the normal 90 day permitted to stay date.

oh my!!! so i just have to go out of thailand before the 21st.....but i have a ticket to kuala Lumpur on the 20th and 2 nights in hotel...all i need is to take that flight and come back???

But you need to return before the end of the 21st to obtain your new 90 day stay (although it is best to enter on the 20th as language translation means that but normally 21st is allowed). What you could do is cross any border next week for a new 90 day stay and then obtain a re-entry permit for 1,000 baht and use your 20-22 trip as a vacation or change your travel/hotel dates to a bit earlier.

• Like 1

But you need to return before the end of the 21st to obtain your new 90 day stay (although it is best to enter on the 20th as language translation means that but normally 21st is allowed). What you could do is cross any border next week for a new 90 day stay and then obtain a re-entry permit for 1,000 baht and use your 20-22 trip as a vacation or change your travel/hotel dates to a bit earlier.

sorry but if i go on the 20th and i am back on the 21st...do you think i am taking a risk?

A 1 year visa is valid for 1 ear from date of issue. During that year you cn make an unlimted number of entries into Thailand, each time you cannot stay longer as 90 days. (You did leave Thailand every 90 days right?).

When you enter Thailand you get a permisison to stay, which is seperate from the expiration date of the visa. So if you leave and return Thailand on the 21st, you get a new 90 days to stay, although your visa will expire the next day. As said, best is to do it on the 20th, but normally the 21st is allowed.

• Like 1

A 1 year visa is valid for 1 ear from date of issue. During that year you cn make an unlimted number of entries into Thailand, each time you cannot stay longer as 90 days. (You did leave Thailand every 90 days right?).

When you enter Thailand you get a permisison to stay, which is seperate from the expiration date of the visa. So if you leave and return Thailand on the 21st, you get a new 90 days to stay, although your visa will expire the next day. As said, best is to do it on the 20th, but normally the 21st is allowed.

Ok. I'll try to change the date of departure with Air Asia from the 20th to the 19th since i've just read the rules for changing the ticket details and it says changing are allowed up to 48 hours prior scheduled time of departure. And of course before to do that i'll contact the hotel to know if they are going to revise the date of my reservation (1 night on the 19th instead of 2 from 20 to 22..1 in exchange of 2...). If such variation is possible I'll take the Kuala Lumpur option, if not i'll cross the border anyway as suggested.

Thank you so much

Lopburi3 you are a very helpful and patient gent, hope I am am not trying that patience, I entered in April last year on a multi-entry Non-Imm "O" (issued in London in January), have done 3 border runs and it is currently valid till the 2nd of April. So if I exit and return before that date am I eligible for another 90 days?? Presumably if I left by the date and returned after Songkran I would be back to Square one.

Thanks in anticipation.

The visa itself has a date mentioned on it, (1 year after the date of issue). Every time you enter Thailand before or on that date the latest you get a stay of 90 days.

You mentioned issued in London last year January, so that means the visa is no longer valid and you cannot get another 90 days out of it.

Thanks for that troops, it's the current "permitted to stay" date, so it's what I wanted to know but not what I wanted to hear.

(Not sure why I am in Bold, but there you go)

Edited by rott

Like said i am going to cross the border (tomorrow) in order to obtain 90 more days since my visa says "enter before 21 feb". I'm going to Poi Pet. Just got e-visa for Cambodia (28USD).

Then, from your message:"..then obtain a re-entry permit for 1,000 baht..."

re-entry permict for 1000baht??? i apologize you...need to understand this as well!!

Re-entry permit allows you to depart and return to complete your current permitted to stay time. You obtain from immigration for 1,000 baht and use that number as your visa when you return and get the same stamp date you have when you obtained the re-entry permit. This would allow you to travel and use hotel you already paid for and return to continue your stay.

• Like 1

lopburi probably knows better, but it's my understanding that land borders will only get you 15 days regardless of your visa?

Like said i am going to cross the border (tomorrow) in order to obtain 90 more days since my visa says "enter before 21 feb". I'm going to Poi Pet. Just got e-visa for Cambodia (28USD).

Then, from your message:"..then obtain a re-entry permit for 1,000 baht..."

re-entry permict for 1000baht??? i apologize you...need to understand this as well!!