Why Do They Pick Strawberries Before They Are Ripe?

rene123

It is strawberry season here in Chiang Mai and the Wororot market by the Ping River has displays of them everywhere. Unfortunately, most of the berries have just barely started to ripen. If you eat one it tastes sour and has barely any of the classic strawberry flavour. I DO know what strawberries are SUPPOSED to taste like. I've grown enough of them back home on Vancouver Island. They are a wonderful berry if they come from the proper soil and allowed to ripen. California strawberries are terrible, even if they look good. I think that is because the strawberry farms of California have used up all the natural goodness in the soil and are now relying on man made fertilizers. i don't think that is the case for Thailand, though. Maybe it is the heat and something just isn't right.

I picked some up at Rimping recently and they were quite good. Larger than what I normally see but at a bit of a premium price. Besides, I slice them, put sugar on them and let them sit for 24 hours for the sauce then sprinkle them over vanilla ice cream. Sweet enough then. biggrin.png

• Like 2

Beware of some sellers of strawberries. On Doi Suthep I bought a large box for 200 baht. As I expected, and didn't bother to check, under the top few were banana leaves. So I ended up with about 65 baht worth of sour strawberries.

My bad.

There are two types of strawbery grown in Samoeng.

Sweet and sour.

The sour ones are large, very red and look delicious- except they are not.

The sweet ones don't look ripe and are much smaller but they are good.

rey

You have to ask for strawber wahn.

You should know that it is not merely the soil it is about, it is mostly about the weather conditions, as one of you mentioned. Strawberries grow way to fast in warm climates, and the sugar in them is not keeping up. So what you get is a strawberry with way too low portion of sugar.

In exemple northern Europe, mostly Scandinavia, you get the best ones in Europe just because the climate and the growers are giving the berry the time it deserve to be good. Bad exemple is Spain, tasteless and bitter strawberries... What about North Americas like USA/Canada I dont know, But Canada have a climate somewhat like Scandinavia, so you should be fine there...

Glegolo

Cant beat English strawberries, if they werent the best they wouldnt have them at Wimbledon. I agree that Spanish stawberries arent very good, too hard and not sweet. Thai strawberries make good wine, as sold by the roadside on the way up to Mai Sai.

Rene. I presume it has been sometime since you have been away from Canada and Vancouver island. I agree that California strawberries used to be the size of chicken eggs but tasted like cardboard. But two years something happened. Although still the size of chicken eggs they became sweet and juicy. Guess they must have started planting some type of new cultivars. The area of Canada I come from we basically have 2 seasons. Winter and the next season is spring, summer and fall combined. However we have strawberries that become available in July and last for 3 or 4 weeks. Not very large but extremely sweet.

There are two types of strawbery grown in Samoeng.

Sweet and sour.

The sour ones are large, very red and look delicious- except they are not.

The sweet ones don't look ripe and are much smaller but they are good.

rey

You have to ask for strawber wahn.

That is true. I bought a bag of the small ones on the woman's recommendation. They weren't bad after I sliced them and sprinkled sugar on them. I mixed them with sliced, ripe mango and it was a pleasant treat.

There are several types (cultivars) of strawberries used in commercial production. Here in Thailand they will grow those best suited to warm-weather conditions and commercial transport after picking. In other words, our good old American land-grant colleges, with their ag extension programs, have educated the managers running the Royal projects where new crops are trialed.

This is just a convoluted way of saying they taste just like the strawberries "back home".

I just have to accept everyone's word that they can taste any better. Sorry, I grew up thinking all strawberries were suppose to taste that way. Makes our Michigan blueberries all the more welcome

I've had the better Thai strawberries this year than in the past, bought a real large bag at Mae Rim intersection last weekend for 120 bht. Like all fruit one must know how to buy which is not only how they look and they will let you taste first. Though never a huge fan, even during my childhood summers in England, the ones here esp. if you consider texture when purchasing, are great for trifle.

It costs so little to eat a nutritious Thai meal (in Thailand) that I don't mind splurging on the more expensive treats now and then. Strawberries might be a little more expensive than other fruits, but it's nice to treat yourself occasionally. Unless I cook it myself, I hardly ever eat a Thai meal when I go back to Canada. The comparison of paying $14.95 in Canada for the same meal that I pay one dollar for in Thailand kind of bothers me.

I have never had a half-way decent strawberry in Thailand, either fresh or in a pastry. Mind you, after trying them a handful of times, I learned to stay clear of them. English strawberries are said -- even here! smile.png -- to be good . . . first hand I can report that Japanese strawberries are fabulously delicious.

• Like 1

Gave up on Thai strawberries a long time ago... Was horrified first few times I tried them, never gave it much thought after that as to why they're so different from what I'm used to (Scotland), I figured it was just a different breed but the weather theory makes perfect sense...

That said, if you eat the sour ones with salt & chilli and manage to not think of them as strawberries, they're quite good...

• Like 2

Like any produce, strawberries are picked early in the hopes they will ripen into sweetness off the vine. It increases the shelf life. Selling fully ripened strawberries reduces the shelf life dramatically.

oh yeah and the strawberries here suck too, thats another big reason.

The best way to get your strawberries is to pick your own! There are some good places near Samoeng or better still go to the King's Project near Doi Angkhan - however, the best strawberries I've had in this region were from Malaysia. My wife and I picked our own in the Cameron Highlands. Organic. Delicious. 1 hour to pick 2.5 kilos, 10 minutes to eat them.

1 hour to pick 2.5 kilos, 10 minutes to eat them.

Ain't that the truth. It reminds me of mom saying "I spent all day preparing a nice supper and you bunch just wolf it down and take off without even helping with the dishes."

Nothing beats the Scandinavian Strawberries, they are the best in the world.

It must be the cold climate and short Summers that give them the sweet delicious taste .

Strawberry season up there lasts for a few weeks in June / July .

Thai Strawberries does not taste good, not even with a lot of sugar on it.

unless you grow your own strawberries and can maintain them without all the chemicals they use here, then pick them ripe on the vine, you won't get a decent fruit. Thai strawberries are grown at [marginally] cooler altitudes, picked early and heavily sprayed with fungicides to make them last in the hot market down in the lowlands. I've given up on local strawberries and hate to admit that i now buy the frozen ones at Makro that are grown in China.

Grown here, they are just a novelty crop.

I picked some up at Rimping recently and they were quite good. Larger than what I normally see but at a bit of a premium price. Besides, I slice them, put sugar on them and let them sit for 24 hours for the sauce then sprinkle them over vanilla ice cream. Sweet enough then. biggrin.png

They are very sweet and very nice to eat when are ripe but the buyer don.t want to buy when the color is red

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite strawberry jam recipe is so fast and easy and leaves the freshest flavor is to not even cook them......freeze them after cleaning well, then in a stainless bowl place the half frozen strawberries and sugar to taste [i like a little tart, add a couple of teaspoons of pectin, then crush them with a smasher to about 75% crushed, leaving a few whole strawberries, mix well, then put them back into freezer and when you want to eat them....let them thaw a little or if in a hurry, give them a quick zap in the microwave to soften a little. Result....super fresh tasting strawberry preserves that haven't had the freshness boiled out of them.

Those plastic ice cream containers make great storage containers, or food storage bags.

You will never be satisfied with boiled preserves again!!

Edited by jaideeguy

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

Yea, I have used the local ones when they were ripening faster than we could eat them. This #%$* heat makes every fruit/vegetable ripen real fast.

I must confess that i now use the makro frozen Chinese strawberries @ 59/kilo, cleaned and perfectly ripe and get excellent results.

Very satisfied and never buy expensive jars of jam with way too much sugar.

I first noticed strawberries in the markets around early December. They were much sweeter then, I don't know why they're not as sweet now. For a strawberry lover like myself, I'm simply glad that there are strawberries here!

An earlier post mentioned the Mae Sai strawberry wine as being delicious. I wholeheartedly agree! About 10 km from Mae Sai the strawberry wine vendors appear on the side of the road. A case of 12 bottles for 1000 baht. Mulberry and lynchee wines as well as strawberry juice for sale. A case of 12 bottles of strawberry juice for 350 baht.