Phuket Tourists Injured As Waves Swamp Phi Phi Tour Boat

webfact

Phuket tourists injured as waves swamp Phi Phi tour boat

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- Six tourists were injured when a tour boat heading to the Phi Phi Islands (view here) was struck by large waves as it crossed Phang Nga Bay this morning.

The boat, which departed from Chalong at about 10am, was carrying 40 tourists from Australia, Indonesia and China, an officer at the Tourist Rescue Center at Chalong Pier (map here) told the Phuket Gazette.

“The boat encountered strong waves about 30 minutes after leaving the pier. Some of the tourists on board lost their balance and were injured.

“Six tourists suffered injuries to their legs and backs, and one suffered a cut on the ear,” the officer said.

Realizing his passengers needed medical attention, the boat driver returned to Chalong Pier and the six who were injured were taken to Phuket International Hospital.

A representative from Andawaree Co Ltd, the company that operates the boat, told the Gazette that the tourists’ medical expenses would be covered by the company insurance.

“We have insurance to cover every passenger in case of an accident,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...boat-20091.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2013-01-30

Australian remains in hospital following Phuket boating mishap

Nattha Thepbamrung

PHUKET: -- An Australian woman was this morning still in Phuket International Hospital with a back injury after the boat she was travelling in was hit by a strong wave yesterday morning (January 30).

Five female tourists – two Australians, one American, one Indonesian and one Malaysian – were injured when their boat was hit by a strong wave about one kilometre off the coast of Chalong yesterday.

A rescue team representative said one Indonesian tourist had an ear injury, and the other four had back and muscle pain from falling. All had been discharged from hospital except for the Australian woman.

A staff member from Andawaree Co Ltd, which operated the tour, said the boat was hit by a wave just as it passed Koh Kiaw, en-route to Phi Phi island from Phuket.

On board were 40 tourists from a range of countries, but a large majority were Americans. The five women were hurt when they fell down, after they lost their balance when the boat was hit by the wave.

All medical charges will be covered by insurance, the Andawaree representative said.

-- The Phuket News 2013-01-31

• Like 1

I assume what they (transport company) call "insurance" - is actually a financing of the suffered passages from their own pocket.

And yes, I agree, every type of transport here is driven by money. Security and common sense are the last things to be mentioned.

I always wondered why air transport is the only thing that seems to be safe in this country.

Edited by netcyberg

I saw that story on Chanel 3 this morning and if the boat they pictured was the one that had 40 tourists on it it must have been grossly overloaded, I don't think they could have fit 40 life jackets on it let alone 40 tourists. Where has common sense gone too around here. Seems like its an everyday occurrence that tourists are injured or killed in Phuket. I know it's a very popular spot for a winter time holiday for people from cold climates but seems to be getting more dangerous every year. Thailand better start cleaning up their act or people will diffinitely be finding better places to holiday at.

According to the other news source we can't mention around here, the boat driver hit the bigger waves at a rather high speed and people went flying. There where cuts to the face and back injuries that were described as compressed discs. It was noted that the return trip to Chalong Pier was quit a bit slower than the trip out...

I assume what they (transport company) call "insurance" - is actually a financing of the suffered passages from their own pocket.

Sorry, don't understand, care to explain?

My guess was that travel company did not have any proper insurance and they would be covering medical expenses from their own funds calling it "insurance" to the public and press so that no one will question their “professional attitude toward tourists”.

In fact I don’t think there are any stupid enough insurance agents in Thailand who will be willing to cover speedboat passengers in this country. Same goes to Jetski, etc.

Even though I knew once a British man in Pattaya who had insurance converging his clients who were renting motorbikes at his shop. But that was a farang way of doing things not thais.

My guess was that travel company did not have any proper insurance and they would be covering medical expenses from their own funds calling it "insurance" to the public and press so that no one will question their “professional attitude toward tourists”.

In fact I don’t think there are any stupid enough insurance agents in Thailand who will be willing to cover speedboat passengers in this country. Same goes to Jetski, etc.

Even though I knew once a British man in Pattaya who had insurance converging his clients who were renting motorbikes at his shop. But that was a farang way of doing things not thais.

Totally wrong. A requirement for all travel agents and tour operators is a TAT license. And a requirement for the TAT license is insurance, the amounts depending on the kind of business, for diving e.g. minimum covered in case of death 1 mio, medical expenses minimum 500K. On Phuket this is checked annually.

According to the other news source we can't mention around here, the boat driver hit the bigger waves at a rather high speed and people went flying. There where cuts to the face and back injuries that were described as compressed discs. It was noted that the return trip to Chalong Pier was quit a bit slower than the trip out...

Nah, it was a large, high speed wave that hit the boat just like the company rep said (and the Phuket News dutifully reported). All the boat captains here are properly qualified and licensed, just like my Thai wife (who knows almost nothing about boats).

• Like 1

Australian sisters recount horror Phuket boat ordeal

p21.jpg

Young Australian tourist Tegan Larin has described yesterday’s (January 30) terrifying speed boat ordeal from her Phuket International Hospital bed, where she remains bedridden with a serious back injury following the boat incident.

Her sister Rahni, 27, also injured in the mishap, has launched a scathing attack on the speedboat driver, who she said was careless and drove the boat dangerously.

Three other tourists, some seriously, were also injured yesterday when the speedboat they were travelling in hit strong waves, throwing the tourists up to one metre high in the air.

They came crashing down on the bottom of the boat, and Tegan, 24, suffered two back fractures.

She cannot move and must stay lying horizontal at all times.

An American women had a deep gash on her leg from hitting a metal part of the seat – her skin was ripped open exposing the flesh – while another Malaysian women suffered a serious “rip” to her ear.

Many others were bleeding and suffering back pain on board the boat.

The Australian sisters described to The Phuket News how difficult the rescue was once the boat reached shore, with all the injured lying on each other, most unable to move due to their back injuries.

Ambulance staff had to remove them one by one using stretchers.

Tegan, Rahni, and their cousin Samara Dove, 25, were visiting Phuket for the first time on holiday when they boarded a speedboat at Chalong pier yesterday (their second on the island), on their way to Phi Phi island.

Rahni said the sisters went to Chalong Pier in the morning, ready for a great day out on the water. When they left, the sun was shining and the water was flat.

“We went to the port to get on the speedboat and the tour leader told us to get to the front, and that it was okay. When we got up there, we did not get a life vest or anything like that. She just said hold the rail.

“It was fine for the start – the first 10 minutes were big waves, but not too bad,” Rahni, who is now wearing a back brace, said.

But soon came much stronger waves, which were initially a bit of a thrill.

“We all got soaked because of the water coming down, and then another wave came, and we all went up about one metre in the air and then fell crashing down,” Rahni explained.

“Me and my sister landed on our backs and we could not move – we lay on the floor screaming. Tegan hit her nose and her mouth, and both were bleeding.”

Four other girls nearby were also injured, including American tourist Maria Genetti who had a bad leg injury.

“The American girl she said she hit the seat, which had a metal part on it which cut her leg. She could see the tissue inside her leg,” Rahni said.

Another girl from Malaysia had a cut on her ear, and was “really frightened” by the blood, the sisters said.

“The girl who had the cut ear was panicking. I think she thought she was going to lose her ear. My cousin, Samara had to comfort her to make her calm down,” Rahni said.

Full Story: http://www.pattayada..._medium=twitter

--Pattaya Dail News 2013-02-01

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I am not sure what the boat looks like. However many boats in Thailand have a large engine attached to the back making the rear of the boat the centre of gravity. This is where the driver sits. The front of the boat, furthest from the centre of gravity flips up and down violently in the manner of a see-saw. The unfortunate passengers who get the front row suffer a very painful ride.

Totally wrong. A requirement for all travel agents and tour operators is a TAT license. And a requirement for the TAT license is insurance, the amounts depending on the kind of business, for diving e.g. minimum covered in case of death 1 mio, medical expenses minimum 500K. On Phuket this is checked annually.

Of course it is.

But how comes, that the one or the other minibus (p.ex.), used by this TAT registered businesses, has no insurance?

There was once the case of a diver, loosing part of his leg, during a visarun.

Neither the hotel, that sold the visarun, nor the minibus, or the truck(driver/company), that causes the accident, had insurance.

Don't you think, that 'report as we say, not as Thai Co's do' is still valid?

How comes, that blue licenses Minibuses (11 people 'insurance', but 15/16 seats and private vehicle) can be used for tour business?

Oh, they check once a year, and that day, all illegal activities are 'on holiday'?

TiT, Steve. TiT

Member Since 2006-09-11

You should have learned it, by now!

But try to find out the insurances for other public transportation, Tuk Tuk's or taxi's, p.ex.!

I guess, you will use only brand new cars, from that moment on!

Edited by noob7

Of course it is.

But how comes, that the one or the other minibus (p.ex.), used by this TAT registered businesses, has no insurance?

There was once the case of a diver, loosing part of his leg, during a visarun.

Neither the hotel, that sold the visarun, nor the minibus, or the truck(driver/company), that causes the accident, had insurance.

Don't you think, that 'report as we say, not as Thai Co's do' is still valid?

How comes, that blue licenses Minibuses (11 people 'insurance', but 15/16 seats and private vehicle) can be used for tour business?

Oh, they check once a year, and that day, all illegal activities are 'on holiday'?

TiT, Steve. TiT

Member Since 2006-09-11

You should have learned it, by now!

But try to find out the insurances for other public transportation, Tuk Tuk's or taxi's, p.ex.!

I guess, you will use only brand new cars, from that moment on!

First of all, don't change my text, not allowed by TV rules.

Secondly, a visa run has nothing to do with the TAT license, you should know that.

Thirdly, transport to and from the tour activity is not included under the TAT required tour insurance, that is a separete insurance. The companies that I work with do have insurance for the transport, if not I don't do business with them. And they use the right vehicles for that, if not I don't do business with them (or better, make sure my guests are not on those vehicles).

In the case we are talking about here that is off topic BTW.

Fourthly, my comment was about TAT insurance, that is what somebody made incorrect assumptions about. If the TAT insurance is not continued TAT is informed about that.

Fifthly, taxi's and tuktuks have nothing to do with the TAT insurance.

So all in all your comments are either incorrect or have nothing to do with what I wrote about.

• Like 1

1.I did not change your text, I only 'bolted' it.

2.If a tour counter sells a visarun, that has nothing to do with a TAT license? Interesting news.

3. Tell that to the people, for whom the tour starts with the minibus to the boat, that drives them to the island, ...., and retour. b/c that was sold as the 'activity of the day'!

4. How many booking stalls are running under the license of a bigger company?

5. You're right, but the insurance problem is not limited to speedboats. It's a Thai-culture problem: I have a insurance, if I have to have one, or in case, i wanna use it. Or do you call the compulsory insurances scheme in Thailand a useful practise?

btw: You are in the diving, right? You work only with South Siam? 'cause their buses are yellow plated, the Marinas bus was too. But many of the other companies still transporting their customers in private vehicles. blue plated pickups, what means 11 people include driver, and if 'compulsory insured', the hope, that never ever a also compulsory insured Truck/bus kicks them into the 'Phuket Muay Thai camp, on their way back to Kata!

How much is the pay, for the Chalong BiB's, to let that happen, and to protect against 'they stealing our business' quotes? In the last millennium, it was 12k/year. I think, like other businesses, it will be now 24k/year.

One question for you:

"minimum covered in case of death 1 mio, medical expenses minimum 500K."

1 mio for each person, or one million for all persons?

500k medical expenses for each person, or for all persons, involved?

If for each (I doubt that), how much would these insurance cost, to operate a speedboat for 40 people, legally?

btw: good luck with your business and no accidents, that aren't covered by the insurances of the companies, you are doing business with. I guess, you ask them for the insurance papers, to check on this once a year, right?

1. Yes, that is changing, not allowed.

2. A visarun is not a tourist tour.

3. Nothing to do with 2. The for TAT license insurance does not cover that, but car insurance and/or tour operator insurance should.

4. None, all require own license.

5. No ideas what you're talking about there.

6. Yes to diving, no to only South Siam, and as mentioned earlier only use legal transport.

Insurance premium depends on size of business, but is about 100 Baht pp per activity. I am talking diving here.

And to get back on topic: provided the boat operator was operating legally, which is very, very likely, accident insurance from the operator is compulsory.

Edited by stevenl

1. Yes, that is changing, not allowed.

[...]

5. No ideas what you're talking about there.

[...]

Insurance premium depends on size of business, but is about 100 Baht pp per activity. I am talking diving here.

And to get back on topic: provided the boat operator was operating legally, which is very, very likely, accident insurance from the operator is compulsory.

1. Still can't see that. Neither changed font or color, nor added emoticons or altered wording.

But b/c my point of view is not universally valid, I try not to do that again, with your posts.

But I hope, using [...], to shorter the quotation will be ok with you.

5. Sounds like. A hint: Compulsory insurance in Thailand is minimal. If someone pays more, he's doing it, because he won't get the loan for the car (p.ex.), or he wanna 'bill' the insurance. (A quote of a Thai person, I know a bit better) This is actually the reason, that it is so difficult, to get a valuable insurance for a old car. You could 'use' it, for a newer imported car without a first class insurance! Wouldn't be the first time, methinks.

And my point of view: Doing business with (businesses having) only compulsory insurances is hoping.,Hoping that the people need a Temple only, but not a hospital!

Insurance premium: How much is that exactly? Can you trow in a number, what can be expected, pp, in Thaibaht, for Death, hospital expenses? Or don't you wanna speak about real numbers? Like maybe 50k pp, as it is in most compulsatory insurances.

I do not mean the Dan/Diving insurance, that businesses may or may not have/offer. I mean the insurance for the time of the trip of your customers. Starting at the hotel, till back to the hotel. You do have a insurance, that is covering the total activity, that you sold to the people, right? They aren't mostly walking to the pier, themselves.

And back on topic: still would be nice to know, if the compulsory insurance for a 40 pax speedboat (plus minimum 3 crew) is covering more as the compulsatory insurance for a pickup, maybe. I mean the max pp. Just in case, all 40 would need a hospital treatment.

And I think, It's not to be expected, that you know this numbers!

Like it isn't expected, to get them published by officials. Would disturb the money flow into the public transportation sector a lot.

Edited by noob7

I have enough of off topic posts, so from me, again: provided the boat operator was operating legally, which is very, very likely, accident insurance from the operator is compulsory.

Compulsory is more or less nothing!

And I understand, that you don't wanna answer questions about the value of the business insurances, you have mentioned.

You shouldn't wonder, if and when some people starting to read between lines, here.

I have enough of off topic posts, so from me, again: provided the boat operator was operating legally, which is very, very likely, accident insurance from the operator is compulsory.

Compulsory is more or less nothing!

And I understand, that you don't wanna answer questions about the value of the business insurances, you have mentioned.

You shouldn't wonder, if and when some people starting to read between lines, here.

I too have had enough of this baiting. Stevenl has stated his views, let's leave it there.