Best Bike For 6 Foot 82Kg Me + Wife = Road Trip.

AllanB

I bought my first bike here a year ago a 2006 TA200 Phantom, with dreams of regular road trips around north eastern Thailand and beyond. Don't laugh, we all have to start somewhere and 20,000 baht later in repairs and walking pace hill climbs, I have learned that I need more grunt and better reliability.

So my question, what bike do I need without spending a fortune, I want to travel 200km per day at 70-80kph max and it not be a nightmare in the towns? I want reliability, with the spares I need available from somewhere and not have to ride scrunched up on a bike built for little Thais.

A friend of mine has the next one up, a Honda Steed, but is weighs as much as a house and handles like a pig, very much a looker with not much practical use in Thailand. It too hasn't proved that reliable and spares don't seem that easy to come by, nice chrome though, if you like that sort of thing.

30 years ago when I was home from Australia, I borrowed my mate's 1979 Bonneville and with no biking experience at all, drove it around the UK for two weeks and at the time thought all biggish bikes were that easy to ride.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the end depends how much you want to pay. Wait for the new Forza 300 to come out and you will have a good touring scooter. I am a big guy and so far my PCX150 is ok but I want a bit more speed when I have to get on the 11 or 1 Highways. Remember the bigger the bike the less useful around town

Virago 1100 works like a charm to 7/11 & Koh Chang alike,

thanks to its relative low weight:power, it accelerate better than most choppers,

gear is a mercedes compared to the phantom, one toe is enuff.

Downside its a bith to run-start if your battery is old, in fact with your modest size dont bother

What is your budget? 200klm per day is quite a lot and deserves a decent bike, the Sym 300 and 400 are very comfy but pricey, or if it is a motorcycle rather than scooter how about a D-Tracker 250, might want to change the seat for something softer (cheap to do). The Honda 250 is pretty cheap too and will cover the miles in comfort and reliability.

Good luck and happy trails.

I ride 2 up around Thailand a bit. I weigh the same as you, and we travel with a topbox (smallish) and tankbag (largish). Currently use either a CBR250 or an old but beautiful CB1 400. I suppose the 400 is similar to a Bonneville - naked, solid ride, good handling, enough power for 2. The 400 works great, but has only a small tank (11.9 l), so lots of stops and careful planning if going for any distance on remote roads. You can pick up a good one if you search around. Cost under 100k for one in excellent condition with green book. This would be my choice of older bikes.

I find the CBR 250 very practical - about 30km/l and easy ride, but a little underpowered..esp for 2.

My thoughts are that the new Honda 500 CBX is probably the perfect bike for touring here. Costs about 215k (same price as the new big Honda scooter really). Big gas tank (15.9l) and low fuel use. Enough power for 2, and very easy to handle (based on my limited test of the new CBR500) - similar feel to 250. But not available until April.

The Kawasaki Versys (650) is also an option, and offers a bit more power than the Honda, but is a heavier bike, and more expensive to buy and maintain. It does have the advantage of being around for years, so some good second hand ones around.

Happy touring!!

Allan,

Will you quantify, Without spending a fortune?

There really isn't much between cheap scooters and a 200,000 Honda 500 which is not out yet. A Used ER6 maybe but you didn't say how much?

The Bonneville is actually quite a small bike even though it is 650. I am not sure there is any modern equivalent. A Yamaha SRX 400 is the nearest common equivalent here or better 600 if you can find one. But this doesn't address your service/parts requirement.

Do your tour or do one or two day trips and then return home? This has a bearing on the service and reliability issue as most "bike" bikes in Thailand are not normally serviced by "local" workshops. If there is a big bike shop where you live and you do trips then.

Replacing the exhaust on your Phantom with a more free flowing unit will get you 3-5hp according to Indonesian experience with their Tiger 2000, if you don't mind the extra noise. But even them it is not exactly head spinning power.

So best bet? A used CBR250 and then fit a 300cc bore up kit for the two up riding. As you don't ride fast at 80 kph you won't need to worry about the 300 being fed by a 250 throttle body/valves etc and maybe not benefiting at the top end of the rev range but you will gain some lower down grunt for your nemesis hills.

Bit more money a used ER6 or a Versys and suffer it it breaks down in the boonies.

Edited by VocalNeal

Budget Dependent but I rate the CRF250l, and its one of the cheaper models out of those mentioned above?

Only rented for 2 days to check it out and didn't ride 2 up so maybe other members can comment how it handles that. Also I don't know if there are many options to add storage but quite a few members on here own them.

Ideal in my opinion, easy to throw around, suited for taller riders, smooth in the worst phuket traffic and on the worst roads.

200 km a day traveling at a very slow pace of 70 - 80 kph ? So your only driving for 2.5 hours a day. Any little scooter can do this with ease.

I am 100 kilos + my wife at 50 kilos + gear for a week on a wave. That is 160 - 170 kilos and the Wave did 70 - 80 even on the biggest hills in Thailand.

So about any bike will do you that is made and sold here. Now Honda has the biggest dealer network if you need repairs, but the larger bikes if they brake down means fewer shops to fix and days if not weeks waiting for parts.

I have been all over Thailand on Waves, CBR150's, PCX125, and more.

The questions you should be asking is how much experiences do you have riding a motorcycle ? Sound limited. How much do you want to spend on a bike ? And really where are you going to use it ?

At approx 200K the maxsym 400i is an excellent touring scooter with all the versatility of a scooter in city traffic ( I use mine everyday in Pattaya traffic). It has a 15 litre tank which will do your daily motoring. Other plusses are a, relatively, huge underseat storage area, wide comfy seats with backreasts for both driver and passenger, triple disc brakes with linked braking and it will cruise all day at 120-140kpm two up (I know I have done it). The lights are excellent and wide at the back so cars give you a wide berth. The windscreen and leg protectors save a lot of strain on the body so that you get off the bike not feeling you have wrestled a python.

Thanks for all your suggestions, budget 100k baht for secondhand and so far from all the suggestions the CBI 400 sounds ideal, I get the idea that the Japs were keen to copy the Bonny and indeed many are now building Cafe Racers.

We have a Wave and have traveled 50-60km in a day, it felt as though we been to the moon and back, but hey reliable as they come, shame they don't build one for fatsos. Plus a bit boring, like the PCX which is an auto and I hate auto anything. CBR250 is very nice, great value, but a racing bike and I would kill us both, I test drove one looked down at the speedo and was doing 100kph overtaking a truck in KK...why because I could and a tad cramped like the CRF250.

Maybe I need something old that I can fix, I prefer the style too, .....or changing the exhaust on the Phantom sounds good and extra noise is a plus, where can I buy one, how much? I need some way to monitor oil pressure too, the cause of all my problems

go for a steed 400 or cbr250 allen, it will fit you well after phantom as they are the same style. They go for 110 k - 120 k, bigger better and has more torque than phantom for the hills and highway riding is never boring with something over 250 cc.

But you might have to service and repair a steed 400 for sure as they are mostly old and i am sure you visit teh mechanic more often.

cbr250 is a good value for 80 k, nothing has better value than it nowadays and no worries, you do not kill yourself, it is a safe solid bike and you can ride it very comfy on 80 - 90 kmh. You can put some touring screen and panniers and a box on back of it for some extra storage - nearly 50 liters! - and with longer screen and panniers, bike will go slower due to the wind resistance and here we go a good tourer!

go for a steed 400 or cbr250 allen, it will fit you well after phantom as they are the same style. They go for 110 k - 120 k, bigger better and has more torque than phantom for the hills and highway riding is never boring with something over 250 cc.

But you might have to service and repair a steed 400 for sure as they are mostly old and i am sure you visit teh mechanic more often.

cbr250 is a good value for 80 k, nothing has better value than it nowadays and no worries, you do not kill yourself, it is a safe solid bike and you can ride it very comfy on 80 - 90 kmh. You can put some touring screen and panniers and a box on back of it for some extra storage - nearly 50 liters! - and with longer screen and panniers, bike will go slower due to the wind resistance and here we go a good tourer!

I did mention that my friend has a Steed, it looks great (if you like chrome) but he has had had big problems with it and I couldn't ride it, it is just too heavy and handles really badly. I would drop it on the first trip and need a Hi-ab to get it back up, around town a nightmare.

CBR250 was very nice, but I want relaxed cruising and would be just ride it too fast. I won't rule it out as it is a really nice bike and fantastic value here in Thailand.

There is not much to choose from for 100k. Such used, old bikes are cool and you would gain more respect from other people riding such bike than riding a chinese bike. But maybe you would also have more trouble? Such cruisers aren't my cup of tea, if they were i would go for a new Lifan 250. Imo better for touring than an old Phantom. But of course you would lose your face laugh.png

And to be honest i don't know if the Lifan is good loaded with pillion. But you will still have some money left for modifications on rear shocks if needed.

You could get 2 Keeway RKV 200s for your budget (one spare one in case the Chinese bike doom-merchants are right!). My RKV will cruise at the speeds you suggest and the quality is much better than the older Chinese budget bikes .... but to be honest it will not be vastly different to the Phantom for power.

A used D-Tracker would be better, but the tiny fuel tank is not ideal for touring. A used Versys would be a quantum leap up from the Phantom and well worth a look if you want a big bike - but probably over your budget?

Here we go again! You want the best touring bike, right? You want comfort, right? You want any mechanic anywhere in LOS to be able to fix anything that goes wrong, right?

Then there is only one choice.

post-63954-0-32894100-1359637929_thumb.p

Edited by BSJ

Be careful with the older bikes sold here.

Many if not most are not as they should be.

Many have been played with by people who had no idea what they were doing, and had no idea about maintenance.

100k doesn't leave a lot of options.

If you could stretch it a bit more than a used Ninja 650 which you may find for around 160k if you're lucky would be your best bet.

I recommend a classic

Böhmerland (Čechie) 1937 Langtouren

• 603cc single cylinder engine, air-cooled, four-stroke
  • two gearboxes,
  • two petrol tanks (both at the rear of the bike on either side)
  • wheelbase 2.230 mm
  • max speed 95 km/h (57 mi/h)

Estimated sale price of GBP 35,000 to GBP45,000

post-155923-0-73983900-1359684603_thumb.

post-155923-0-56111200-1359685377_thumb.

Edited by Morakot

Many have been played with by people who had no idea what they were doing, and had no idea about maintenance.

If you could stretch it a bit more than a used Ninja 650 which you may find for around 160k if you're lucky would be your best bet.

You hit the nail right on the head mate, with the weather being too hot to work on the bike, I relied on a Thai mechanic, never a good thing whatever I buy. So I may wait for the right secondhand bike to come along, meanwhile I will spend a few bob on converting the car port into a workshop, wack in a bit of air-con and get some more tools. One upside with the Phantom, it is easy to work on and maybe find a bike that needs work, I am not that busy right now.

For all of you who suggested scooters..naa!, I prefer bikes, I missed out as a kid when the Cafe Racers were around, busy now trying to relive those halcyon days. I know the crappy Phantom ain't no cafe racer, hence the need to change it. Harleys are for roads half a mile wide and 500 miles long with no bends, so in Isaan you just polish the chrome and ride up and down Highway 2.

Cafe racers were all about doing modifications for no money and being a tight arse that appeals to me. I have an old boat in the UK that I keep running, really simple to work on, no black boxes, no electronics, no computers.

There are a few guys around here who mess with their own bikes (mostly HD's, but no matter) so may get in with them.

Thanks for all your suggestions, it is all food for thought.

Edited by AllanB

Since you have stated you prefer bikes to scooters you will need to

just exercise some self restraint smile.png

You say bikes like the 250 Honda are race bikes & too fast

but really they are quite mild especially with two on board.

The same could be said for any car, meaning your going to drive

150kph+ because it can?

I agree with you as far as two on a bike for any distance is more comfy

on a full size bike. With its taller wheels better suspension etc.

Also having a bit of power in reserve helps more than hinders in many

situations.

Your budget 100k

I think you are basically looking at a cbr250 or a little more for a ninja 250

If you can justify more of course the options open to the 650 range

Of course there are many older bikes with the older style twin shocks etc.

But you need to have a good eye for whether they are spent already or have

been crashed & twisted/straightened a few times.

Actually with your budget I really only see two choices for a reliable ride

those are the two 250s or you can expand that into the on/off road models of those

same engines but as you say they tend to be less roomy seat wise for both passenger

& rider. Of course you can also go down to the cbr 150 size also

Realistically your not looking at Harleys etc for 100k baht

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

You hit the nail right on the head mate, with the weather being too hot to work on the bike, I relied on a Thai mechanic, never a good thing whatever I buy. So I may wait for the right secondhand bike to come along, meanwhile I will spend a few bob on converting the car port into a workshop, wack in a bit of air-con and get some more tools. One upside with the Phantom, it is easy to work on and maybe find a bike that needs work, I am not that busy right now.

For all of you who suggested scooters..naa!, I prefer bikes, I missed out as a kid when the Cafe Racers were around, busy now trying to relive those halcyon days. I know the crappy Phantom ain't no cafe racer, hence the need to change it. Harleys are for roads half a mile wide and 500 miles long with no bends, so in Isaan you just polish the chrome and ride up and down Highway 2.

Cafe racers were all about doing modifications for no money and being a tight arse that appeals to me. I have an old boat in the UK that I keep running, really simple to work on, no black boxes, no electronics, no computers.

There are a few guys around here who mess with their own bikes (mostly HD's, but no matter) so may get in with them.

Thanks for all your suggestions, it is all food for thought.

Shouldn't be difficult to find a bike that needs work. I guess 90% of all bikes on the street tick this box tongue.png

Good luck. Keep us updated.

If you know what you're doing, and have the time and tools then a CB400 could be a good option if you want that style.

Most people have neither, so they are not a good option if you don't have the tools, time, and want of spending as much time working on it/waiting for parts as you do riding it. That is for the average one that someone who doesn't know anything about bikes would buy. Knowing what you should be getting will help you buy one in better condition.

The CBR250 sits lovely at 100kph 2 up. Just before the powerband and gently hums along.

If you know what you're doing, and have the time and tools then a CB400 could be a good option if you want that style.

Most people have neither, so they are not a good option if you don't have the tools, time, and want of spending as much time working on it/waiting for parts as you do riding it. That is for the average one that someone who doesn't know anything about bikes would buy. Knowing what you should be getting will help you buy one in better condition.

The CBR250 sits lovely at 100kph 2 up. Just before the powerband and gently hums along.

And can be bought used for little money (the CBR250). A good all rounder. Edited by BirdsandBooze

yeah but no ecu and filter, i have sold them already. And i want to sell my pipe to you cbrerbiggrin.png it is only you here appreciate my pipe and use it nicelylaugh.png

Than i can sell the bike alone for 85 klaugh.png

allen, you will like it i am sure man:) cbr250 is not that fast bike especially two up and you never go to a mechanic!

I've seen some used ER-6's for sale that aren't too far from 100K and that would be a great bike for the OP's needs. Lots of them out there so you just have to keep searching until a motivated seller shows up.

I've been lusting over the soon-to-arrive Honda 500X. That should be a great bike for Thailand.

• Like 1