Insane Prices

MacChine

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think many Thais struggle with the cost of living here. Only since November last year I know personally two Thai families living here for the last 6 and 12 years with decent jobs / income moving out. The income is higher here than in their respective home provinces for similar jobs but its not adding up to the cost of living here compare to live where they come from.

I think many Thais struggle with the cost of living here. Only since November last year I know personally two Thai families living here for the last 6 and 12 years with decent jobs / income moving out. The income is higher here than in their respective home provinces for similar jobs but its not adding up to the cost of living here compare to live where they come from.

This is a concept I have never managed to get across when I've tried to explain that most Farang are not rich due to the reasons you point out.

This is a concept I have never managed to get across when I've tried to explain that most Farang are not rich due to the reasons you point out.

You can explain that there farangs who come here for 2 week vacation has been saving for the trip for the last 6 months and live with less glamour in their home countries?

But then again, that might fail as putting part of the salary to savings account is not so popular, specially with low income people here.

Last two times meter taxi " Not available" Even they are charging 100 baht " service " fee that AOT gets, allegedly.

Inside hall = Thai Limousine. Outside (legit) touts another story. Metered taxi (rank at side) probably still the best option.

Most Thais have no concept what so ever that gross wages in the west of 2 million baht (for example) = struggling to get buy.

I juts paid 750 baht, ( today) airport to Kamala from the taxi desk inside the airport , its a set price so no way they would try for 1,200)

cant be bothered to go putside

now for comparison.

Don Menug Airport to Pattaya which is about 150 kms is 1,200 baht!!!

Phuket is getting worse!!!

Are you saying that you hear about some foreigners struggle with the cost of living and when trying to explain that to Thais you never here the Thais admit that some Thais also struggle. Thats face. But if you not already have the experience then I can tell you that to more into/near Somchai and family you come (not only your exstended Thai family) through friends or not to forget a working spouse, to more you get to know and even a stingy living foreigner with a minimal pension would seem well off in comparison. Rich foreigners living in Phuket.... I mean rich like Forbes list...what for the culture or the scenery.....

The wife went and bought a head of iceburg lettuce at the local outdoor afternoon market and it was 50 Baht. It wasn't even very big...

What about the lettuce....whistling.gif

Welcome back. Really missed you...

Thanks mate ditto biggrin.png

Anyway back to the price of stuff....

bought a cauli in Banzaan few days ago and paid 70B £1.40!!! w00t.gif Bloody great cauliflower cheese though !!

Just need to find some fresh parsnips to glaze and roast...

Edited by Rickster

What never fails to amaze me here is the price of spam in the supermarkets.

It is something like 240 Baht for a small tin.

In the UK , the only people who eat this sh*t are those struggling to meet their mortgage payments 555 , yet over here it is a luxury item eaten only on special occasions,

.bah.gif

Edited by a3tsw
  • Like 1

What never fails to amaze me here is the price of spam in the supermarkets.

It is something like 240 Baht for a small tin.

In the UK , the only people who eat this sh*t are those struggling to meet their mortgage payments 555 , yet over here it is a luxury item eaten only on special occasions,

.bah.gif

This has been my gripe for a few years now. With a strong baht, why has the price of imported items never fallen accordingly?

I always remember seeing imported Chinese Fuji apples cheaper in Tesco London than the price in Tesco Phuket.

This has been my gripe for a few years now. With a strong baht, why has the price of imported items never fallen accordingly?

I always remember seeing imported Chinese Fuji apples cheaper in Tesco London than the price in Tesco Phuket.

Same as everywhere, people are willing to pay for luxury items, so why would they drop the prices?

The wife went and bought a head of iceburg lettuce at the local outdoor afternoon market and it was 50 Baht. It wasn't even very big...

What about the lettuce....whistling.gif

Welcome back. Really missed you...

Thanks mate ditto biggrin.png

Anyway back to the price of stuff....

bought a cauli in Banzaan few days ago and paid 70B £1.40!!! w00t.gif Bloody great cauliflower cheese though !!

Just need to find some fresh parsnips to glaze and roast...

You should try living in Luanda Angola 2 years ago a lettuce was $US20 who knows what it is now?

Edited by McFarang

Since when have food items like spam or apples been luxury items

In Thailand spam or imported apples are luxury items. Homegrown produce is much cheaper.

Where do they grow apples in Thailand, they are all imported as far as i know

Which makes them luxury items. Plenty of other fruits available, if you'd like to eat imported apples you'll have to pay.

Goods imported into Australia from Thailand have a 5% import duty/ tax which includes rice, seafood, tinned foods, vehicles etc

Which makes them very competitive on the open market and regularly cheaper than Australian manufactured goods

Australian goods imported into Thailand cop huge import duties/ taxes even though they are not manufactured or

produced in Thailand of a equal quality

A example is a large ford SUV i saw at the local dealer recently 2.7M baht its Australian made and on road there with with all costs included and a full

3 year roadside assistance warranty 1.4M baht

There is a free trade agreement but the way around that is high import taxes even on items not made or produced here

No way can you call spam or apples luxury items except in Thailand

Edited by petercallen

Goods imported into Australia from Thailand have a 5% import duty/ tax which includes rice, seafood, tinned foods, vehicles etc

Which makes them very competitive on the open market and regularly cheaper than Australian manufactured goods

Australian goods imported into Thailand cop huge import duties/ taxes even though they are not manufactured or

A example is a large ford SUV i saw at the local dealer recently 2.7M baht its Australian made and on road there with with all costs included and a full

There is a free trade agreement but the way around that is high import taxes even on items not made or produced here

Oh I believe this is only a part of the territory where it seems "more for a few is better than fair for all"

Oh I believe this is only a part of the territory where it seems "more for a few is better than fair for all"

Please explain your comment