Thai Wine

Spaniel

I wouldn't buy any I live near a town named Takfa and they have a wine that they make called Chateau Takfa. It's absolutely disgusting. MD 20-20 or Boone's Farm are far superior. I tried to cook with it and thew the whole disgusting mess out!

I wouldn't buy any I live near a town named Takfa and they have a wine that they make called Chateau Takfa. It's absolutely disgusting. MD 20-20 or Boone's Farm are far superior. I tried to cook with it and thew the whole disgusting mess out!

Keith Floyd used to say, if you can't drink it, don't cook with it. I've tried wine made with jack fruit and mangosteen. Too sweet.

If you're in Bangkok you could take a look at some Thai wine shops.

There is one Thai wine shop in Soi Ruam Rudee.

When you walk down the soi from Th.Ploenchit the shop is on your right hand side,

BEFORE you reach Conrad Ballroom.

Ruam Rudee(Rudii) is paralell to Wireless Road and is the first soi east of Wireless Road.

I'd recommend not buying it. I have tried a few different ones, not very impressive: watery, bland and unexciting.

I tried a few different one from the supermarkets, and 8 of 10 were terrible, a complete failure, with something like vinegar taste or worse, good only to clean toilette.

1 was OK, but somehow not balanced in its taste. But else nothing wrong with it.

1 was really good but not cheap.

A lot better deals from imported Italian, Chile, South African wines.

In short - All local wine is rubbish and for the price improved new world wine is a much better buy.

That said - if it must be a Thai wine I've found that Monsoon Valley is perhaps the most palatable (albeit way over priced for what it is: 250-300 baht would place it in a comparable price bracket with imports of similar quality)

The duty on Australian wines has been reduced by 60% in the past 2 years. Still a bit expensive but some good deals around. Also good deals on everything except French wines which don't travel well. Thai wines - well they are trying, and their packaging and presentation is great. Agree that Monsoon wines are the best of a sweet lot.

But wait for it - we will soon be bombarded with Chinese wines - and they have the climate to make some good ones

The duty on Australian wines has been reduced by 60% in the past 2 years. Still a bit expensive but some good deals around. Also good deals on everything except French wines which don't travel well. Thai wines - well they are trying, and their packaging and presentation is great. Agree that Monsoon wines are the best of a sweet lot.

But wait for it - we will soon be bombarded with Chinese wines - and they have the climate to make some good ones

I always wondered why every french wine tastes terrible. Italian tasts OK and specially South African and Chile wine get a OK value for relative low prices.

Australian wines: you get a real good wine for fair price (didn't found any real cheap one).

But as you told, all the french wines I bough so far didn't taste good....

• Like 1

I had a local wine by the name of Alcidini at a New years party, and I was rather pleasantly surprised at how drinkable it was. The specific bottle was Number 2 or something like that as it had taken second place in an international contest somewhere.

Anything Australian will be good.thumbsup.gif Always is.

As European it is very hard to admit that you are right....Every, without exception, wine from Australia I tried was very good.

Maybe the grapes get better when they hang upside down in Australia?

but on the other hand Australian beer is just average....way better than anything the label as beer in Thailand but still not even close to German quality.

Amazing how many worthless comments there are on ThaiVisa...

Anyhow, a great Thai winery is Hua Hin Hills. Their wine is a bit pricy. Starts at 500 baht, I think. If you need a good Thai wine that'd be my recommendation.

And if you're ever in Hua Hin is recommend a tasting at their winery. It's not free, but costs 400 baht and pairs several wines with appetizers.

• Like 1

Anyhow, a great Thai winery is Hua Hin Hills. Their wine is a bit pricy. Starts at 500 baht, I think. If you need a good Thai wine that'd be my recommendation.

And if you're ever in Hua Hin is recommend a tasting at their winery. It's not free, but costs 400 baht and pairs several wines with appetizers.

AAA..good golly gosh...jeeeepers

Edited by chonabot

Our Kao Yai neighbor is starting to elaborate some interesting flasks as well:

http://www.granmonte.com/about1.htm

Those are passionate people who are much more proud about the quality of their production than its sale.

By the way, there is no way to talk about wine without a glass of it in the hand... Just methinks!