Settlement Visa For Wife For Uk , Questions Etc .......

Hello , im starting this thread to assist with my settlement visa for my wife.

Basically we were legally married in Thailand in November , wife has been here once before on a tourist visa for 4 months , two years ago.

Im going to Thailand on the first of April for three weeks to get the visa application finished and submitted, so i have under two months to get all my stuff in order and im really wanting to get this done and passed on the first attempt. I meet the financial requirements and i have my own mortgaged property with three bedrooms. I know we need lots of supporting documents, covering letters , photos , relationship evidence, but ive listed an overview below to show where im at and also what i need or unsure about.

What weve done so far listed below

• Legally married in Thailand with marrige certificates in Thai
  • She completed english test with Vantage Siam A1 level
  • Id card renewed with my surname

What i think we need to do

• Update passport with new surname
  • TB test and documents translated to english , certified ? IOM Bangkok
  • Translation of marrige certificates to english

What im not sure about

• She has been previously married, any documents required ?
  • She has one child living with her ex husband, any documents required ?
  • We need to submit form VAF4A, Correct form ?
  • We also need form Appendix 2, Correct form ?

Any help, advice or any other relevant information would be very much appreciated,

Thanks.

Edited by raven0099

Hi. Yep, applying from Thailand the VAF4A and Appendix 2 are the right ones. We've just been through the process. You don't need the name change to apply but sounds like you're far enough forward with that... You're right you'll need the new passport, and the certified translated marriage cert. Not sure how you got the TB cert in Thai; when we got ours (which you have to get from the UKBA-specified clinic) the certificate was in English. Can't help you on her divorce/child documents. Maybe if you write down an index of all the documents you're proposing to include, people can comment on where they think you're light.

Further to above:-

Any supporting documents not in English should be accompanied by a certified English translation.

Include copies of all documents, or you may not get the originals back.

Shouldn't need her divorce certificate, as she would have needed to produce this at the ampur in order to register your marriage.

Don't need anything for the child as they are not applying; but she must complete the child's details in part 4 of the form. Otherwise you will have difficulties should you wish to apply for a UK visa for the child , e.g. a visit, at a later date.

Have a read of UK Settlement Visa Basics for more information.

Hi , thanks guys

Just to add , weve not actually done the TB test yet , i just assumed it would be in thai , but if its english excellent one less thing to worry about,

Is the appendix 2 always needed , if they can see from my salary slips and P60 that i meet the threshold financially , do we still need that document submitted.

Also are applications only accepted by online or can you just fill in the details in pen and submit like that ,

She signs the application forms in english or thai ?

Thanks

You'll definitely need Appendix 2. Must be submitted online. When you finally click 'submit' if gives you the whole completed application to print out. That has an empty box at the end that she needs to sign before physically submitting the print out at VFS. Appendix 2 is not part of the online process. It's a separate form that you print, fill out by pen/hand and submit alongside the main application print out. Hope that makes sense..

One I would say is that make sure you take payslips up to date just before you go, when we done ours my were a about a month behind and they requested I email them over, this is after the application had sat on there desk for the best part of 7 seven weeks

• 2 weeks later...

Hello ,

Ive been trying to start an online application just to get used to the system and whenever i do i cant connect , with the message Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage , im using my own laptop with the houses wifi , any reasons why this wont work ?

i,ll try a cable tommorow but hopefully this is just a fault with thier website

Any advice

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks , have some questions for the experts

I can print 12 months of bank statements from my account online , any further back and ill have to pay for them , would 12 months be ok ?

Photos as evidence , i have 100s but how many should i include , will black and white be ok ?

I only have a copy of my birth certificate will that be ok ?

Do all english translations have to be certified ?

Finally should i make a second folder full of copies of all documents ?

Thanks

Raven0099

Bank statements: 12 months max, although 6 months will do depending on how you are meting the financial requirement. See the parts of Annex FM Section FM 1.7 which are relevant to you.

I would suggest 25 to 30 photos spread over the period you have known each other. Black and white is fine.

Birth certificate is not needed, unless you wont be enclosing a copy of your passport. If using your birth certificate instead of your passport then the original long form is required. If you don't have it, you can obtain one from the General Records Office (Note, that link takes you to the GRO for England and Wales, there are separate ones for Scotland and Northern Ireland.)

Translations should be certified by the office that did them. Professional translators in Thailand know what is required.

They say that they cannot guarantee to return original documents unless copies are provided, so it is a good idea to do so. I have heard that staff at the VAC check originals against copies and return the originals there and then, but this is only anecdotal so don't rely on it.

Addendum, don't know why you can't connect to the online application; working fine for me.

Edited by 7by7

Thanks 7by7 thats cleared up those questions

I seem to have an ok connection to the online visa app now, guess it must have been bad internet speeds

Another query i have is regarding my call history lists from my mobile , how far back would i need to go , due to the fact we did nearly all of our calls on mobile and sms messages also, if i go right back to the start were talking about a lot of paperwork, 3 and half years worth , what do you think ?

Cheers

Raven0099

Im in Thailand right now, just got married and will apply for visa next week after I get the marriage certificate translated and authorised. I have 6 months bank statements and pay slips, land regestry details, copies of passports, only about 8 photos but spread over the past 15 months, proof of emails and telephone calls, utility bill, sponsership letter and TB test and A1 English. Im hoping this is enough!!! I can,t think of anything else!!

6 months should be fine to meet the guidelines but if i were you i would go back as far as you can within the relationship, these records usually have your home address on too which is more evidence in your case. in my opinion more proof is better than not enough.

kind regards

Hello Folks , need a bit of advice ,

Whats the time frame for booking an appointment for submitting the docs at vfs , im just trying to workout rough dates for our Travel to Bangkok after i complete the online application ,

Is it only done by prebooking or can we just turn up and submit info, bio metrics, etc ?

Also i cant seem to see any where for a signature on financial requirement appendix 2 ?

Finally does anyone have any info about how we book for the Passport and docs to be returned to my wifes home address ?

Thanks

You book an appointment online after you have completed the application form.

Appointments are only available a week in advance, so you might want to either time it so you finish it a week before you want to book, or log back in later to book one.

Arranging for the documents to be sent to your home is done on the day of the appointment, via the VFS staff. Costs a few baht (cash) ฿100 (ish) if I remember correctly. :)

Can't help you with the other thing, sorry :)