With How Many Month Pregnant Woman Can Fly In A Airplane ?

Sandman77

Hello!

Can someone explain me the different ruels of each airplane for pregnant woman?

We want that our baby born in the eu, but I not sure how I can realize this when the airlines not allowed to fly if pregnant? Does every airline have same rules?

Last year in Pattaya a thai woman in a travel agency told me, that thai air says, when some woman bring the baby inside the airplane to the world, this person can fly free for a lifetime!

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Basically, it should be up to the doctor to tell the woman whether it is safe to fly or not... and it is safe to have a doctor certificate who gives her the "all-safe-to-fly", so the airline will see and know that they don't need to expect and problems during the flight.

Life-long free flights when born on the plain? Maybe... but much more likely is a huge bill, because the pilots will declare medical emergency when the contractions start and land on the nearest airport and un-board the pregnant woman... and guess who will pay for that?

If your lady is already pregnant for such long time, why would you endanger her health and the health of the unborn by trying to have it born in the EU? Does your country give out passports to kids born in your country? Switzerland does not (ok... fortunately not in the EU...)

Depends on the airline and you should check the airline policy, but mosttimes it is after 36 six weeks that one is no longer allowed to fly. Also depends on the destination, as some countries where nationality is acquired due to being born in that country are nt keen on pregnant travellers. Might be a factor if it is not a direct flight.

Always get a doctors certificate saying it is safe to fly. Edit: some airlines have their own form a doctor must fill in.

Exampe British Airways:

Pregnancy

For uncomplicated single pregnancies, we restrict travel beyond the end of the 36th week, and for twins, triplets etc., beyond the end of the 32nd week. After your pregnancy has entered its 28th week, we ask that you carry with you a letter from your doctor or midwife, stating the pregnancy is uncomplicated and confirming the expected date of delivery. In this letter, your doctor should state that you are in good health, that they are happy for you to fly, and that (in their opinion) there is no reason why you cannot fly.

• Like 1

Yes when the child is born in eu, it is eu citizen !

EU is not a nationality. The child will have the nationality of the mother (Thai) and maybe the nationality of the father.

Be sure that your country gives citizenship to persosn born on their territory and have the right visa for the mother.

Best advise is given if you say which country it concerns, so nationality requirements can be checked.

Rather than us telling you the answer for each airline, of which there is a plethora, as you asked, how bout you check the airline your flying with website for their specifics on the answer. Each airline is slightly different.

EU is not a nationality. The child will have the nationality of the mother (Thai) and maybe the nationality of the father.

Be sure that your country gives citizenship to persosn born on their territory and have the right visa for the mother.

Best advise is given if you say which country it concerns, so nationality requirements can be checked.

Indeed.

A child born in the UK, for example, is only automatically British if at least one of the parents is British or legally resident in the UK.

In addition, even if one parent is British, unless the mother is habitually resident in the UK she will not be entitled to NHS treatment (except in an emergency) so they will have to pay for the mother's medical care during the birth!

Hello!

Thx for good infos in the meantime!

Iam from Austria!

Still not sure about how my country will handle this,years ago someone told me this, when burn in a eu member state it has nationality of this country, but still don't know exact details..

Usually 20 week limit and below no questions asked.

20 weeks to 36 weeks then it up to the airline who will permit travel as long as you have a Doctor Note, then it is upto 36 weeks.

In the UK, its not about where your born, more where you are registered. If register the birth in the UK, then you are a EU citizen.

If you give birth on a plane, then you can still register the birth in the UK.

We dont give a hoot when it comes to birth registration.

• Like 1

Hello!

Thx for good infos in the meantime!

Iam from Austria!

Still not sure about how my country will handle this,years ago someone told me this, when burn in a eu member state it has nationality of this country, but still don't know exact details..

If you are married to the mother, you been an Austrian national yourself is enough to acquire Austrian nationality for the child. The child does not have to be born in Austria for that.

Being born in the EU doesn't make you a EU citizen, there is no EU nationality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrian_nationality_law

Seems like a bit of a trek for a Pregnant woman, gonna be over 11 hours direct flight, and anything from 14 hours up for a stopover.

Why even go to Europe, some of the hospitals in Thailand are well equipped, and also since your GF will be on a Tourist Visa she and yourself might find yourselves with a big bill for hospital treatment.

In the UK, its not about where your born, more where you are registered. If register the birth in the UK, then you are a EU citizen.

Wrong, I'm afraid.

There is no such thing as an EU citizen per se. To be an EU citizen you must be a citizen of a member state.

Registering a birth in the UK does not make the child British and therefore does not make the child an EU citizen.

A child born in the UK, for example, is only automatically British if at least one of the parents is British or legally resident in the UK.

Furthermore, if at least one of the parents is British otherwise than by descent then the child will be British no matter what country it is born in or what country the birth is registered in.

Sandman, I know nothing of Austrian nationality law, but if you are Austrian and the child is yours, then wont it be Austrian no matter where it is born?

Thai Air has a policy they will let you fly up to 36 weeks of pregnancy. Leave a couple week buffer. The Thai Air Check-In Clerk counted the weeks a little differently then we did and we were within a few days of not flying back to the USA. We had a Certificate it was OK to fly from the doctor at a hospital in Pattaya. We got it a few days before flying. It says you need one to travel after 28 weeks. Allow an extra 10 minutes at check-in, they will key-in the information from the Doctor Certificate.

Domestic flights within Thailand, they did not care too much and took our word. No flights within Thailand are more than an hour, so they are not that concerned. But be careful on international flights.

I don't know about the EU, but the USA gives all babies born within the U.S. Citizenship. After the baby is born, we took the U.S. Birth Certificate to the Thai Consulate. If one parent is Thai, they register the birth and they give you a Thai Birth Certificate, which can later be used for Thai Citizenship or a Thai Passport. It may be similar in the EU.

Different countries have different citizenship rules.

As I have already said, a child born in the UK is not British unless at least one of it's parents is British or legally resident in the UK.

I do not know about other EU countries.

Edited by 7by7

Last year in Pattaya a thai woman in a travel agency told me, that thai air says, when some woman bring the baby inside the airplane to the world, this person can fly free for a lifetime!

Last year in Pattaya a Thai woman took me to a local gem shop to meet the owner. The owner told me that the gems they sell are in found in abundence in Thailand but that they are worth a great deal of money in my home country! blink.png

• Like 1

Jus soli (birth citizenship just by fact of birth in that country) is a new world concept and is not found in EU or most of the world outside North and South America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli

Common in Ireland until 2005 http://en.wikipedia....w#Prior_to_2005 Probably stopped due to the high incidents of "maternity tourism" by non-EU nationals residing in the UK; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chen_case

Edited by Morakot

I find your lack of knowledge about EU rules disturbing, but alarming when it comes to knowledge of your own countries requirements. You refer to "your lady", but are you married ?

a) Children born in wedlock obtain Austrian citizenship if

• born before 09/01/1983: father is Austrian citizen at time of child's birth

• born on or after 09/01/1983: one parent is Austrian citizen at time of child's birth

B) Children born out of wedlock obtain Austrian citizenship

• if mother is Austrian citizen at time of child's birth

• by legitimation if child (whose mother is a non-Austrian citizen) is still a minor and unmarried at the time of his/her parents' marriage and the father is an Austrian citizen at this time. If the legitimated child is over the age of 14 (but still a minor), he/she must consent to the acquisition of Austrian nationality.

So you have to be married to start with and if memory serves me correctly getting a Thai marriage recognised for these purposes is a rather drawn out process. Austria has very strict requirements on citizenship so you better start checking these things out.

http://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/embassy/consulate-general-new-york/practical-advice/austrian-citizenship.html