Going Off The Deep End In Chiang Mai - How Long 'til It Happens?

mesquite

Interesting to see this 'shadow generation," sons and daughters of the 1960-70s, on parade. I had forgotten all about them. May they all seek and find truth at the top of the mountain of knowledge. It is certainly hard enough to find truth rooted in reality. They had better work fast before their parental allowances are cut off or trust funds depleted!

In a Buddhist country where the tradition argues against material wants and forsaking all things which cause suffering, they (the Hares) seem to be getting it right. It's not right for me, but I don't judge. If I were a relative or family member I might be a bit concerned if they were trying to give all of the family's wealth away, but otherwise, I don't care.

They seemed interested enough in wealth when they shoved that donation box under everyone's noses. With texts on it in various languages including Russian. Seeing there aren't too many Russians in Chiang Mai you'd think they've been peddling this all over Bangkok and Pattaya before coming here. Even requesting (and getting) donations from Thais, including bargirls.

But yes, I agree with you that I don't care. :thumbsup:

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I've always enjoyed seeing them - they were very out of place in a provincial town in the north of England in the 1970's, but there's something about them that makes me smile. Leaving aside any thoughts on religion, they really seem genuinely happy people. Strange I suppose, but they always make me feel good for the rest of the day. Good on them.

• Like 1

I though Hare Krishna people only exist in Western countries

Thailand is more and more becoming the same as Western countries. sad.png

It is from India, an offshoot of Hindu, aparently you invoke god (krishna) by CONSTANTLY chanting his name, Simple minded nutter cult. wai2.gif The Louis Theroux doc. on the subject is fascinatingly funny. Edited by daoyai

I though Hare Krishna people only exist in Western countries

Thailand is more and more becoming the same as Western countries. sad.png

It is from India, an offshoot of Hindu, aparently you invoke god (krishna) by CONSTANTLY chanting his name, Simple minded nutter cult.

I guess that would make Buddhism just a 'simple minded nutter cult' too, as there is a Japanese school of Buddhism that says you can invoke Buddha Conciousnous just by constantly chanting 'Namu Amida Butsu...'

I'm always awed by the open-mindedness of people.