I Need A New Printer.....

StefanBBK

Hi, need some help here. My current printer has given up for good... (HP 6500 WIFI, paper jam error that cannot be resolved) So I need a new one.

I want something that is:

A) inexpensive (if possible)

B) has a scanner

C) Ink that is easily available and not expensive.

I use it mainly for documents, NOT photos.

I would like to have duplex and wifi, but that is not a must.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Bought HP deskjet 2050 cheapie three-in-one for ~2kB about two months ago. Available at Tesco etc.

Easier to get it to speak to linux than windoze.

Scan and copy quality qood.

To save ink - and that is the trick as replacement is expensive - set printing preferences to 'fast draft'. AA

Brother is OK if you don't want to print on thick 230 Gsm stock. Why because it has front load and front discharge so stock has to turn 180 deg. Cannon rear loading is best for that.

As has been said Canon with ink tanks, Don't know about wi-fi as I use cables!

Brother also with ink tanks but if you go away for a couple of months print heads will clog. Brother are internal so if clogged new printer, cannot has replaceable but it needs some "mechanical sympathy"

What is a good laser printer for very low usage?

I have a Samsung ML-2250, it was cheap, it happily sits for months and prints first time every time. Now I've said that it will go belly up.

Similar version the ML-2165 is 2,990 Baht from Invade IT.

Another vote for Brother. I've got 2 now. The first one i bought i use at home and using genuine Brother cartridges the heads got clogged due to infrequent use. It got sent to BKK and they fixed it under warranty. I then got external tanks fitted and i've not had a problem since (around 3 years).

Brother has individual cartridges for each colour so if you've been printing a lot of red for example you need only replace the red cartridge. Other printers I have had have only one cartridge for all colours.

I also have an HP and it works fine, but i couldn't find anywhere here in Pattaya that could fit external tanks to it.

I have a Epson with external tanks, worst printer experience I ever had. When I print on a A4 photo paper the colour's fade away within a month and after 3 month the prints looks like they are +100 years old.

My old Epson that used the original cartridges made very good photo prints but it was quite expensive in ink.

Now I am leaning towards a Cannon Pixel printer as most of my printing will be A4 photos and the odd text print now and again.

I have probably bought a dozen Epsons over the years. Some of them quite high end.

I have always been quite impressed, usually I was printing images not documents though.

But my last Epson is an ink pig and the price of ink has doubled in the last few years. I like the machine but hate the costs.

Next printer I will be getting refillable tanks

The ink does not dry up, for starters! bah.gif

I've had my HP laser printer for five years now, and only on the second cartridge.... Only way to go if you don't print much and just need black and white! thumbsup.gif

Also cheaper than inkjet even if you do print a lot!

Edited by samuijimmy

Samsung ML-1670 for under 2000B (black only). Cartridges can be exchanged for refilled ones quite cheaply (or can be refilled with a chip change) but as mentioned the things never dry out and if you dont use it much they will probably last forever. Mine is nearly a year old and the original (starter) cartridge is still 85% full.

So, what is the best low cost laser color printer than?

Anyway, i do need to scan every so often and dont want to buy a seperate machine. Office gets too crowded.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Anyway, i do need to scan every so often and dont want to buy a seperate machine.

You want laser, colour and scanner built-in? And cheap? There arent many of these about.

Most people in Thailand would probably get an inkjet 3-in-1 device (a good Canon with wifi and external tanks can be had for under 3500B) and would be prepared to dump it and buy another every year or three, depending on usage. As long as you print a couple of colour pages every week the heads wont dry out and as external ink is very cheap this is no big deal. If it's for an office then presumably it would get used regularly anyway.

Or do you have a special reason for wanting laser? (Better print quality, longevity of print etc.)

Anyway, i do need to scan every so often and dont want to buy a seperate machine.

You want laser, colour and scanner built-in? And cheap? There arent many of these about.

Most people in Thailand would probably get an inkjet 3-in-1 device (a good Canon with wifi and external tanks can be had for under 3500B) and would be prepared to dump it and buy another every year or three, depending on usage. As long as you print a couple of colour pages every week the heads wont dry out and as external ink is very cheap this is no big deal. If it's for an office then presumably it would get used regularly anyway.

Or do you have a special reason for wanting laser? (Better print quality, longevity of print etc.)

Laser is the best if not printing a lot, because toners don't dry out.

But for color laser, I'd suggest buying a B/W MFC and a separate color printer.

I got a DELL 3130CN as a color printer.

Thanks all, I am now off to big c for a canon 287. They are on offer for 2200.

Tanks are not my prefference, as I print too little. I recon 20 pages per month.

• Like 1

Thanks all, I am now off to big c for a canon 287. They are on offer for 2200.

Tanks are not my prefference, as I print too little. I recon 20 pages per month.

Actually the tanks are sealed when not in use and the feed line has a shut off so noooooo problem with little use. I hardly use the printer but when l do it's thumbsup.gif .

My Cannon died after I refilled the ink tanks. I bought the most expensive refill kit that I could find. It worked fine for awhile and then I got a print head fault. The new print head was 2,500 baht. I bought an HP all in one instead for 2,500 baht and it is now over three years old and I think on the third ink cartridge. It has been flawless. The scanner and copier are very good.

So, everything is different. I went to Big C and the Canon 287 was available at little over 2200. Then I checked if they had the cartridges that go with it. There were none of that specific type.... I just had the same horror with my old printer that needed HP920 Cartridges, which where quite difficult to find.

Next I checked HP 2060 printer, and there were tons of fairly inexpensive cartridges available, original as well as OEM. I ended up buying the HP2060 printer, it does all I need. was even a little less, only 1500.

<snip>

As long as you print a couple of colour pages every week the heads wont dry out and as external ink is very cheap this is no big deal. If it's for an office then presumably it would get used regularly anyway.

<snip>

I go along with that. I have a Canon Pixma MX-328 inkjet printer and try to remember to print a colour page every couple of days to keep the ink flowing.

After reading this topic last night, I tried printing a 'test' page. I hadn't printed anything in colour for a few weeks:

post-35489-0-84684100-1360236532_thumb.j

It took about 5 'cleans' and 5 'deep cleans' to get it to this:

post-35489-0-17182900-1360236551_thumb.j

I think I'll get a laser when this one finally packs up.

• Like 1

Bought HP deskjet 2050 cheapie three-in-one for ~2kB about two months ago. Available at Tesco etc.

Easier to get it to speak to linux than windoze.

Scan and copy quality qood.

To save ink - and that is the trick as replacement is expensive - set printing preferences to 'fast draft'. AA

Yep, along those lines, Canon MP230@ Tesco a month ago, works like a champ.

Only thing I don't like is no print receive tray, but if on a desk, not a problem.