Dutch Bank Account

I have a Dutch bank account with the ING bank. After months of mailing and calling their final verdict is out.

Their new ATM card is refused by Thai ATM machines, their reaction is:

1. You take out to much money, take care the exchange rate.

2. You're card is blocked due to suspicion of money laundry and/or financing terrorism

3. You're card is not valid.

Yes, every time a different excuse. last one is:

we blocked all ING ATM cards for Thailand due to to much fraud in Thailand.

Okay, how do I get my money then: You have to show a copy of passport and a letter of pension company.

So I did, the answer is: You're account will be blocked within 2 weeks unless you report yourself at one of our branches in the Netherlands.

I all ready have 2 times written excuse of the ING Bank but the account will be blocked unless I report myself in person,

I know more Dutch people are using this forum and living in Thailand, the new IBAM ATM Cards can not be used in Thai ATM's. So more of you will face this problem soon.

As far as I know all banks will change to this new ATM card before 01-05-2013.

Have you the same problems and is their a way to get you're money transferred to a Thai bank account?

Internet banking with ING Bank costs 30 Euro a transfer and that is for me way to much. It is almost 10 % of my small military pension.

Thanks

Robert.

• Like 1

Very good you posted this, Mr. Robert..clap2.gif I am grateful.

To me it seems you do not know the fine things about dutch-thai banking, so to say.. I will show my gratitude for your OP to you.

Priorities first...

I read you only have two weeks? Is this true?

Do you have 'safe' access to a Thai bank-account?

You can PM me if you would prefer this..

Karel

Edited by Dancealot

Im in tourism business with Dutch ppl and I noticed it seems harder to get money with ING cards than with other bank cards. I even had an ING mid level manager checking into it back in Holland, but it led to nothing... When I read ur story, I am really wondering, who is there for who. They are supposed to give you service, you pay for that. If they can't do it. F them and chance banks. I personally never had a problem with ABN AMRO, but I hardly ever use it in Thailand.

As to how to get money, the two easiest ways for you would be. Open a Thai Bank account and transfer money to it. Since it's too obvious, maybe you dont want that for reasons.... Another easy way is deposit money into a VISA credit card, and then use that card at any ATM machine. (supposed to be much cheaper if you debit the card first)

Thanks for the replies.

I get every month a small military pension from ABP (Dutch pension paying company) on my Dutch bank account.

I normally, during the last 9 years took the money out by ATM.

December 2012 I used the internet banking to my Thai bank account due to not working ATM card: costs 5 euro transaction costs and 25 euro corresponding costs. I think an expensive way of sending money.

In January 2013 the bank offered Emergency Cash with Western Union. This is totally free of costs.

Getting the pension directly paid on a Thai Bank account is an option, but I can not get to the details of the costs of this transfers.

Due to my small pension I do not have or can apply for a credit card.

So that is for me no alternative.

Changing bank is an alternative but can you open a Dutch Bank account while living in Thailand without the travel to the Netherlands?

Thanks Dancealot,

I found that out by checking websites and getting information from call center.

Kasikorn Bank ask a fee when receiver pays from 0.25 % with a minimum of 200 Thb and a maximum of 500 Thb.

ABP charge 5.25 Euro a month for transfer to foreign country.

So I think the cheapest way is direct to a Thai account.

Edited by Khun Robert

Traveling between Netherlands and Thailand now for > 2 years i encountered the same problem. Eventually i found out that my ING ATMcard only 'worked' at BangkokBank ATM's.

For this reason i opended Thai bankaccount and transfer money now int this account, but i am still not happy with the ridiciolous costs they charge.

@Dancealot: do you say that 'reciever pays' saves you money?

Thanks Dancealot,

I found that out by checking websites and getting information from call center.

Kasikorn Bank ask a fee when receiver pays from 0.25 % with a minimum of 200 Thb and a maximum of 500 Thb.

ABP charge 5.25 Euro a month for transfer to foreign country.

So I think the cheapest way is direct to a Thai account.

You stand correct. B200+E5.00 = B400.

Glad to be of assistance and be sure to share this with your fellow expats. We cannot let the banks win more money over us hard workers.

Traveling between Netherlands and Thailand now for > 2 years i encountered the same problem. Eventually i found out that my ING ATMcard only 'worked' at BangkokBank ATM's.

For this reason i opended Thai bankaccount and transfer money now int this account, but i am still not happy with the ridiciolous costs they charge.

@Dancealot: do you say that 'reciever pays' saves you money?

I will spell it out for you.

Overschrijven buitenland has on the bottom of the list "kosten verrekening" which is set at "SHA" as a default.

This means for the unknowing expat he will transfer it like so. So the bank "steals" your money without you knowing it.

Click on SHA and select "kosten voor rekening begunstigde" "BEN" and you have just earned yourself a cool E25.00.

Edited by Dancealot
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

I get every month a small military pension from ABP (Dutch pension paying company) on my Dutch bank account.

December 2012 I used the internet banking to my Thai bank account due to not working ATM card: costs 5 euro transaction costs and 25 euro corresponding costs. I think an expensive way of sending money.

In January 2013 the bank offered Emergency Cash with Western Union. This is totally free of costs.

Getting the pension directly paid on a Thai Bank account is an option, but I can not get to the details of the costs of this transfers.

Changing bank is an alternative but can you open a Dutch Bank account while living in Thailand without the travel to the Netherlands?

ABP offers direct transfer to your Thai bank account.

my option would be.

save a couple of months and then transfer the ING-Thai account.

The bigger the amount the less costs.

ATM "regular" is/was and shell always be a problem with ING.

ING netherlands like to act as follows.

ING................

You pressed 3 wrong (password)times in a row

you..........

ME????

WHEN????

ING......

Yes YOU!!!

you......your crazy....i didn't use my card for more then 12 months (as in my case)

ING

PROOF IT....BY BY!!!!!!!!!

ING is a bank that failed already once. And it will fail again soon, if not for bad management then for bad customer relation.

I used to bank with Postbank (which was very good) until it was taken over by ING and blown to pieces.

Now i still use ING for small payments inside the Netherlands, everything else goes to a Thai bank directly.

ING nothing but problems, especially with ATM, i cut that card and disposed of it. It only makes you depended on their service and you should never be depended with YOUR money on someone else. Get it as close to where you are as fast as possible..

I have also an SNS account, never a problem. However they also screwed up and are bust.

The score so far in the Netherlands is that all 'system' banks went belly up. Too big to function properly.

I have zero savings in Dutch banks, and i do hope that more people take out their money and learn these banks a good lessons.

Learn that the words savings should be replaced with 'loan to the bank' and for that risk you get an awful return of a few miserable percent that is not even enough to keep up with inflation. Stop loaning money to banks who blow it on investments and derivatives and are backstopped by government (taxes). They have no incentive to take care of you.

Transfer directly to a Thai bank, costs by receiver, send in Euro and let the bank in Thailand change it into baht. Don't let the Dutch banks do the exchange! Saves you another bunch of bahts.

We have savings here, but they are not on a single bank and not only in 'money'.

• Like 1

ING is a bank that failed already once. And it will fail again soon, if not for bad management then for bad customer relation.

I used to bank with Postbank (which was very good) until it was taken over by ING and blown to pieces.

Now i still use ING for small payments inside the Netherlands, everything else goes to a Thai bank directly.

ING nothing but problems, especially with ATM, i cut that card and disposed of it. It only makes you depended on their service and you should never be depended with YOUR money on someone else. Get it as close to where you are as fast as possible..

I have also an SNS account, never a problem. However they also screwed up and are bust.

The score so far in the Netherlands is that all 'system' banks went belly up. Too big to function properly.

I have zero savings in Dutch banks, and i do hope that more people take out their money and learn these banks a good lessons.

Learn that the words savings should be replaced with 'loan to the bank' and for that risk you get an awful return of a few miserable percent that is not even enough to keep up with inflation. Stop loaning money to banks who blow it on investments and derivatives and are backstopped by government (taxes). They have no incentive to take care of you.

Transfer directly to a Thai bank, costs by receiver, send in Euro and let the bank in Thailand change it into baht. Don't let the Dutch banks do the exchange! Saves you another bunch of bahts.

We have savings here, but they are not on a single bank and not only in 'money'.

Thank you, sirwai.gif . This makes an awful lot of sense to me. Can you confirm ABP has this service mentioned by hgma?

I am not there yet.. about 30 years to go wink.png but i am already planning on how to infrastructure this pension currency flow right now.

I met, yes, a couple of!!, blokes around here that where actually paying the E30 fee for years&years to the ING because of this.

But this is just the small problem.

Thanks for the replies.

ABP offers direct transfer to your Thai bank account.

my option would be.

save a couple of months and then transfer the ING-Thai account.

The bigger the amount the less costs.

ATM "regular" is/was and shell always be a problem with ING.

ING netherlands like to act as follows.

ING................

You pressed 3 wrong (password)times in a row

you..........

ME????

WHEN????

ING......

Yes YOU!!!

you......your crazy....i didn't use my card for more then 12 months (as in my case)

ING

PROOF IT....BY BY!!!!!!!!!

Here is the big problem.

I lost faith in the Dutch bank system awhile ago.

I learned banks a criminals but pension funds like ABP are serial killers! I have been waiting for someone to write what you posted.wink.png So here goes:

How much does the ABP 'charge' EXCACTLY for your monthly pension transferred directly to you Thai Bank account?

Please take the time to show us what THEY take from you.

Edited by Dancealot

For ING to Thailand: http://www.ing.nl/Images/Tarieven_zakelijk_betalingsverkeer_tcm7-59324.pdf?id=20130210020841

If "our" the costs is € 25

For Ben: the receiver = benificiary pays all the costs (in TH), so also have to transfer back for the ING costs in NL

Shared: 0,1 % over the amount min € 5, ( per € 6 per 1 april 2013), max € 50 + benificiary in TH his share at Thai bank

I use SHA already in YEARS to pay in Euro to my Thai suppliers, who exchange this to THB at their own bank. Best exchange rate, lowest bank costs

I use SHA already in YEARS to pay in Euro to my Thai suppliers, who exchange this to THB at their own bank. Best exchange rate, lowest bank costs

And you claim to be an entrepreneur? Re-read this very important thread please.

Edited by Dancealot

• 2 months later...

Hi everybody, very interesting topic this, thanks for all your posts!

One question, maybe a bit off-topic, but related anyway I think..... what to do if you want to transfer money from your Thai bank account to your Dutch one? (I have Triodos bank for now, I skipped the ING's and suchlike already), I tried to transfer an amount from my Krungsri savings account to my Triodos account, it looked like it was happening smoothly, but then... the transaction was stopped because I needed to supply supporting documents... ??

So, I cannot just transfer money back to the Dutch account where it came from in the first place?

Anybody any tips?

Any advice much much appreciated!!

(if you want, you can send DM too)

There are limitations on sending money abroad from Thailand, and probably will be asked to show that the money came from abroad in the first place. Your bank can help you with the forms to fill in to do that.

Thanks Mario.

Someone gave me the advice to just use my Thai ATM card in Europe to get it out, it has the PLUS and VISA signs on it, so should that work? Anyway, I'll pay the bank a visit this week.

Edited by thuisinthailand

Yes, I read that too. It appears there is very limited information on this available, do you happen to know if the money changers accept Baht in exchange for Euros or dollars? Not necessarily at Suvarnabhumi because of its poor rates.

ATM is the easiest way to 'send' money to the Netherlands.

Krungsri or Kasikorn work good and i have both with a daily maximum of 100.000 baht (or equivalent amount in other currency).

I found that a specific local ABN branch using a Kasikorn card allowed for 2000 euro in one time. Maybe luck is involved.

Normally only about 500 euro per time is allowed.

All that is based on experience almost 2 years ago as that was the last time i was there.

I think not much has change using Thai cards in the Netherlands. I hear that a lot is changed for Dutch cards being used in Thailand to prevent fraud (at least that is the excuse used, protect you for your own good nonsense).

Edited by Khun Jean

ATM is the easiest way to 'send' money to the Netherlands.

Krungsri or Kasikorn work good and i have both with a daily maximum of 100.000 baht (or equivalent amount in other currency).

I found that a specific local ABN branch using a Kasikorn card allowed for 2000 euro in one time. Maybe luck is involved.

Normally only about 500 euro per time is allowed.

All that is based on experience almost 2 years ago as that was the last time i was there.

I think not much has change using Thai cards in the Netherlands. I hear that a lot is changed for Dutch cards being used in Thailand to prevent fraud (at least that is the excuse used, protect you for your own good nonsense).

i think you Dutch are facing the same thing whe Belgiums facing already a 2 years , maestro logo bankcards (bancontact ) are blocked standard for using outside eer (european countrys)

excuse for that is used that no Chip enabled ATM are in Thailand , = true , they promote for safety the Creditcards they are selling , but......They also are read by only the magnetic strip ......so ,, seems just another extra money for them to get as normal banccard transactions are cheaper than ccards ...

Now ihave read that Bangkok bank is the first (and only one) to start replacing their cards AND ATM's with chip enabled ones , so that is probably why sometimes the eu cards are working ....(i think )

i now use for transfer BE to TH https://www.moneybookers.com/app/ because no other way to get my pension from BE to TH working days 24 hours , (once only 15 hours real time !! ) weekend in between takes a few days ...!

Mastercard logo prepayd card yearly only 10€ , witdraw by banccontact or ukash free and witdraw from card to TH bank or use ATM (more expensive) you can also witdraw from prepayd to your bank at flat fee 1,80 € if € to € only

Edited by david555

Hi everybody, very interesting topic this, thanks for all your posts!

One question, maybe a bit off-topic, but related anyway I think..... what to do if you want to transfer money from your Thai bank account to your Dutch one? (I have Triodos bank for now, I skipped the ING's and suchlike already), I tried to transfer an amount from my Krungsri savings account to my Triodos account, it looked like it was happening smoothly, but then... the transaction was stopped because I needed to supply supporting documents... ??

So, I cannot just transfer money back to the Dutch account where it came from in the first place?

Anybody any tips?

Any advice much much appreciated!!

(if you want, you can send DM too)

You seem to have a luxury problem thuisinthailand.