Red Fuel, Orange Fuel And Green Fuel

Terry Newman

Red would be 91 Benzine

Green would be 91 gasohol

Orange would be 95 gasohol

Never used green, although my bike's petrol cap states I should. Only ever used Orange 95 gasohol in my scooter.

Yellow and Red Benzine for my big bike :)

Red = Strawberry Fanta

Green = Citrus Fanta

Orange = Orange Fanta

Seriously, are the fuels themselves the same colour as the pump nozzles?

Fanta in Coke bottles sold as fuel? TiT biggrin.png

They should add some strawberry flavor to the benzine. Or some pear brandy instead of ethanol. What a nice smell in the cities it would be smile.png

Red would be 91 Benzine

Never used green, although my bike's petrol cap states I should. Only ever used Orange 95 gasohol in my scooter.

Yellow and Red Benzine for my big bike smile.png

pretty much spot one, though no more benzine.

i found when i filled up with 95 the first time bike sounded really good, but after 2 fill ups its sounds like a tractor.

Changed to 91 gasohol, but really unsure what to do, as most stations now do not have 91

How can a RON 95 fuel replace a RON 91 fuel.

A very basic explanation of the octane levels (RON 91 or RON 95 in Thailand) is that how higher the number is the more resistant to ignition the fuel/air mixture becomes. Which means that if your motorcycle requires RON 91 fuel you should used RON 91 fuel. The only difference between a RON 91 and a RON 95 fuel is that the RON 95 fuel has more added chemicals that prevent it from detonating/ignite prematurely. For more information I would recommend that you read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

The difference between benzine and gasohol in Thailand is that the gasohol contains 10% ethanol, while the benzine in Thailand contains 5% ethanol. Currently you cannot buy any fuels that doesn't contain ethanol in Thailand (with exception of some specially imported race fuels).

A technician from Honda motorcycles told me not so long ago that the number one failure of modern PGM-FI motorcycles is the use of the wrong fuel.

Taken from another website, and maybe of interest to people with imported bikes from the US…

Japan and Europe use a system called RON or Research Octane Number to determine the octane rating of their gasoline, while stateside they use a system called AKI or Anti-Knock Index to determine gasoline's octane rating... Interestingly, to further complicate things it would seem that the US AKI system is actually derived from the average of the RON system and another more complicated system referred to as MON or Motor Octane Number... So, to recap our methodologies for measuring gasoline's octane rating are different, but share some common elements...

So, with the commonality of RON in mind a good rule of thumb is as follows, multiply the foreign RON Octane rating by 0.95 and you will have the US AKI equivalent.

( RON Octane Rating x 0.95 = AKI Octane Rating )

98 RON Octane x 0.95 = 93.1 AKI Octane (US measure)

100 RON Octane x 0.95 = 95 AKI Octane (US measure)

In other words, 95 Ron (Thailand) is only the equivalent of 91 in the US, so for those of us with US (or in my case Canadian) imports that say 91 is the minimum, you should really use 95 in Thailand.

I think...

A very basic explanation of the octane levels (RON 91 or RON 95 in Thailand) is that how higher the number is the more resistant to ignition the fuel/air mixture becomes. Which means that if your motorcycle requires RON 91 fuel you should used RON 91 fuel. The only difference between a RON 91 and a RON 95 fuel is that the RON 95 fuel has more added chemicals that prevent it from detonating/ignite prematurely. For more information I would recommend that you read http://en.wikipedia....i/Octane_rating

The difference between benzine and gasohol in Thailand is that the gasohol contains 10% ethanol, while the benzine in Thailand contains 5% ethanol. Currently you cannot buy any fuels that doesn't contain ethanol in Thailand (with exception of some specially imported race fuels).

A technician from Honda motorcycles told me not so long ago that the number one failure of modern PGM-FI motorcycles is the use of the wrong fuel.

Its all about antiknocking value and preventing auto-ignition due to compression/temperature. You can use benzine95 if your bike only requires benzine91. There is nothing wrong with it imo. And you can use gasohol95 if your bike requires gasohol91. If you use 91 in a bike that requires 95 you risk to make it broken. Thats all imo. Or am i wrong?

IIRR the benzine in Europe also contains 5% ethanol nowadays. They use every trick to maximize the profit smile.png

I am doing alterations to my PCX at the mo, but it usually runs Ok on p1ss 95. At the moment I am using our back-up scooter a 2010 Fino and the little bugger eats through it like a coke head would if let loose in a Columbian coffee factory!

A very basic explanation of the octane levels (RON 91 or RON 95 in Thailand) is that how higher the number is the more resistant to ignition the fuel/air mixture becomes. Which means that if your motorcycle requires RON 91 fuel you should used RON 91 fuel. The only difference between a RON 91 and a RON 95 fuel is that the RON 95 fuel has more added chemicals that prevent it from detonating/ignite prematurely. For more information I would recommend that you read http://en.wikipedia....i/Octane_rating

That's right, fully understand your point there.

But try telling the government or whoever's big idea this change was..... :(

In the U.S. I use only 104 octane Sunoco gt plus from either South Sanfransisco or the Sonoma infineon race track (formerly Sears Point!) Not available to the open public -only if you have valid credentials & compete every year to hold your licences.

I won't burn anything in my bikes liters & up back home. And ya it makes a huge difference both in preformance & in the pocketbook. But it contains no horseshit in the fuel just fuel.It is available in higher octanes if you burn leaded(which I don't)

If bikes or cars were meant to burn corn or casaba the corn or casaba wuld be flamable. You guys ever try to burn casaba to get rid of it....Not ever gonna happen. The <deleted> is just non combustable. I think I would be better off trying to use Earl Schiebs paint refuse than trying to burn casaba. Not a backer of this loser way to duff up the fuel. Making all vehicles burn on unleaded was the only thing the governments -fuel companies & any other people involved in the decision have done in a positive manner for containing polutants.

Go Yellow go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

100% correct, benzine in Thailand contains 5% Ethanol (actually it could be a bit more, but not over 7% as the government tolerance is not that specific).

Thailand not has consumer protection laws like most western countries, you can see that every in the supermarket – this morning I bought 'pure orange juice' which I discovered only contains 10% orange juice... and trust me you can find more of this sort of things....

^

Shhh, you`ll spoil the placebo effect.

Richard has a good point, and is pretty much what I said above i.e.

To be honest, this just makes me want to use the highest octane gas I can find, seeing as Thai 95 is in effect the same as US 91, and Thai 91 is really US 87 etc.

Yep, everything better in the USA. There are things like inches, AKIs and root beer laugh.png

Or should i just take the fuel that is most expensive? You get what you pay for. Maybe the cheaper fuels are from china and rated in CKIs (Chinese Knock Index)? blink.png

• Like 1

Many years ago I used to run old cars which were designed for 88 benzine on a mixture of paraffin and 130 octane aviation gasoline.

They used to run great for about 6 months before the rings, pistons and valves wore out.

Usually at that point I would throw it away and buy another cheapie.

^

Shhh, you`ll spoil the placebo effect.

Richard has a good point, and is pretty much what I said above i.e.

To be honest, this just makes me want to use the highest octane gas I can find, seeing as Thai 95 is in effect the same as US 91, and Thai 91 is really US 87 etc.

Yes, I agree, but people with small capacity, low power bikes think that by simply using the highest octane rating fuel it will give them a performance increase. High power, high compression engines will benefit, not the 7/11 buggy. And it turns out that every fuel here contains gasohol in some proportion.

And it turns out that every fuel here contains gasohol in some proportion.

Wrong, No fuel here contains gasohol.

Ok I,m confused ! Why is it called gasohol then ???

Because it is a blend between gas (benzene) and ethanol.

All fuels here have some content of ethanol.

100% correct, benzine in Thailand contains 5% Ethanol (actually it could be a bit more, but not over 7% as the government tolerance is not that specific).

Ah, well that is too bad. Still, its the best we can do - at least it has less than the 10% gasohol - which for all I know could have much more than 10% ethanol in it.

Red would be 91 Benzine

Yellow and Red Benzine for my big bike smile.png

My old GSXR 11 runs like a dog on all of them but I think the red was best of a bad bunch. The old scooter however doesnt give a shit what I put in it - it just chugs happily back and forth to the beer shop whatever I fill it up with smile.png

I have a one year old Yamaha Fino and use green 91, have about 6000 Kilos on the clock, and it runs very well, so it must be OK, Is it?

This topic was just what I was looking for!

So, please tell me . . . . . having just got myself a Suzuki ZX400 Desperado V-twin, what colour stuff should I be putting in it?

Cheers

R

Edited by robsamui