A Giggle At Immigration!

dogpoo

It's officially free. If they try to charge you for it, it's a bribe and dishonest.

These officers get a salary for the work they do.

Would you pay the postman for each letter delivered when you know he gets paid by the Post Office?

Just because you would do the same, don't think that everyone else has the same morals as you .

No I would not do the same as them, many people would and obviously do!! as far as I am concerned it is a tip for a service exactly the same as if you were in a restaurant and were given good service, is this a bribe, the waiter or waitress also receives a salary!! It's a tip which you do not have to pay!!

Ever heard about service charge?

And on top you like to tip?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems wildly inconsistent to giggle off having to pay a 300 bribe to the immigration officer, considering it just a tip and no big deal; while concurrently having a full blown rant about having to tip "useless caddies" over in the golf forum. At least the caddies drag the clubs around the course for 3 hours or so for the tip.

It seems wildly inconsistent to giggle off having to pay a 300 bribe to the immigration officer, considering it just a tip and no big deal; while concurrently having a full blown rant about having to tip "useless caddies" over in the golf forum. At least the caddies drag the clubs around the course for 3 hours or so for the tip.

The giggle was at being asked to supply 3 100 bht notes rather than 2 100 bht notes plus change, refusing to pay what immigration asks will at some point possibly cause you trouble!! I prefer as do others to pay, you do not have to pay that is up to the individual, This so called rant over in the golf forum has nothing to do with this thread, if you wish to comment on golf do it in the golf forum!!!!

Reading through all previous posts, a lot of you seem to forget that we all have to do this for the first time at some point and it can be a bit daunting, so when asked for extra charges you generally end up paying because you are not 100% sure. So when this does happen it is a con, theft or whatever, it is wrong.

Reading through all previous posts, a lot of you seem to forget that we all have to do this for the first time at some point and it can be a bit daunting, so when asked for extra charges you generally end up paying because you are not 100% sure. So when this does happen it is a con, theft or whatever, it is wrong.

You can call it what you want, you are not wrong though as this form should be free! this form is only needed now and again so for me it is better to just pay, I try not to think of it as bribe or anything else, I think of it as a payment for a form I must have! Yes it is dishonest to ask for a fee for something that is free, again you do not have to pay!!

In case, a official is 'charging' something, I get a receipt!

If he can't give me a receipt, I can't give him 300 baht. Because the amount of 300 Baht, undeclared gone, gives my wife/gf (who gives me the money and the advice, what to do LoL) the impression, that I did something, what she don't wanna know about. Also she told me, that this paper is for free!

Every officer will understand that, think what a stupid idiot I am, but not try to charge again.

giggle.gif

The interesting part:

As long, the guy did these papers in the office, one floor up, no windows (I think), no witnesses, it was : up2you.

Since they doing it in the main office 'downstairs', they try to charge 300 baht.

@ Jimi007

Fair call and good luck to you.

My approach is to walk in like a nameless and faceless farang, pay my 300 baht and leave.

I do not want to "know" them, and I do not want them to know me. smile.png

Having said that, I might give it a go next time. smile.png

If you go in nameless and faceless you get treated like you're nameless and faceless. My Thai has gotten a bit better over the years, and some of the guys know me. I go in dressed nicely and treat them with the respect they are due and try to make it as enjoyable as it can be for an immigration office visit. I'm usually in and and very quickly, compared to most. But then again it helps to have all your paper work in order and filled out before you get there... It can actually lead to mutual respect.

I prefer to be "nameless and faceless" to officials here. It's just a personal choice, but I understand why many would chose to build a rapport with them.

@ Jimi007

My approach is to walk in like a nameless and faceless farang, pay my 300 baht and leave.

If you go in nameless and faceless you get treated like you're nameless and faceless. My Thai has gotten a bit better over the years, and some of the guys know me. I go in dressed nicely and treat them with the respect they are due and try to make it as enjoyable as it can be for an immigration office visit. I'm usually in and and very quickly, compared to most. But then again it helps to have all your paper work in order and filled out before you get there... It can actually lead to mutual respect.

I prefer to be "nameless and faceless" to officials here. It's just a personal choice, but I understand why many would chose to build a rapport with them.

As far as I am aware the certificate of residence is the only form they ask for a fee knowing that it should be free, by refusing to pay this fee is not a good way to built a rapport, you have to respect people who have such high morals though, by refusing to pay this fee could at some point cause themselves a problem, yes we all know it is dishonest, I want an easy life with no problems, 300 bht is nothing to me considering this certificate is something I only need on the odd occasion!! good luck to all those that refuse, next time people who want this certificate and refuse to pay should go one step further, show your high morels and expose the officer to his superior, this might then help all the others that feel it is better to pay than cause a problem, I am guessing not one person will do this!!

Does not reporting a dishonest act make that person dishonest too?

Edited by dogpoo

@ Jimi007

As far as I am aware the certificate of residence is the only form they ask for a fee knowing that it should be free, by refusing to pay this fee is not a good way to built a rapport, you have to respect people who have such high morals though, by refusing to pay this fee could at some point cause themselves a problem, yes we all know it is dishonest, I want an easy life with no problems, 300 bht is nothing to me considering this certificate is something I only need on the odd occasion!! good luck to all those that refuse, next time people who want this certificate and refuse to pay should go one step further, show your high morels and expose the officer to his superior, this might then help all the others that feel it is better to pay than cause a problem, I am guessing not one person will do this!!

Does not reporting a dishonest act make that person dishonest too?

Trouble is, if everyone starts refusing to pay, Thai business logic kicks in and they put the price up for the ones that do pay in order to make the same money as they used to.

So, the certicicate will go from 300 baht to 500 baht - then, more will refuse to pay, so the price goes up again etc etc. Once day, they will ask for 2000 baht for the free certificate.

Currently, I'm doing my bit to keep them at 300 baht for those who pay because I am a nice guy. :) :) :) :)

There has been a couple of posts stating about morals, why don't the people who profess to having these high morals report the immigration officers for trying to obtain a bribe for something that is free!! Help others by stepping forward and put an end to this dishonest practice, looking forward to any replies!!

Isn't it obvious?

The superiors of the officers that ask for this money know full well what is going on and I'm sure get their cut.

The only thing you can do is state that you know it's free and refuse to pay.

On the very infrequent times I have needed a certificate of residence, this is what I have done. They don't like it, but, they don't push it.

Grow a back-bone, why don't you?

Edited by KarenBravo

Isn't it obvious?

The superiors of the officers that ask for this money know full well what is going on and I'm sure get their cut.

The only thing you can do is state that you know it's free and refuse to pay.

On the very infrequent times I have needed a certificate of residence, this is what I have done. They don't like it, but, they don't push it.

Grow a back-bone, why don't you?

I will consider it just for you!

There has been a couple of posts stating about morals, why don't the people who profess to having these high morals report the immigration officers for trying to obtain a bribe for something that is free!! Help others by stepping forward and put an end to this dishonest practice, looking forward to any replies!!

i for one didnt know it was free but i am afraid they have us who have to go there for our extension by the short and curlies,i have seen what service if any that they give to anyone who complains,in the end its them that do the giggling.

i for one didnt know it was free but i am afraid they have us who have to go there for our extension by the short and curlies,i have seen what service if any that they give to anyone who complains,in the end its them that do the giggling.

The day will come when someone who refuses to pay will have there passport go missing, my paperwork went missing recently and I paid, fortunately the officer did not take my passport, This had nothing to do with refusing to pay the fee, they just lost everything, eventually I left with my certificate after approx 1 hour!

Edited by dogpoo

Three hundred Baht. For what? What were you trying to get with your paper work? And your three hundred Baht...

Certificate of residence to buy a vehicle, should be free, I have no problem giving them what they want, yes it was amusing.

It is people like you that encourage idiots in immigration like this chap.

300B hear, 300B there, <deleted> ?

• Like 2

Three hundred Baht. For what? What were you trying to get with your paper work? And your three hundred Baht...

Certificate of residence to buy a vehicle, should be free, I have no problem giving them what they want, yes it was amusing.

Sort your life out mate!! Up to the individual try reading all the posts in this thread!! You have a problem with immigration do something about it!!! Don't come on hear acting the big I am!!

Sort your life out mate!! Up to the individual try reading all the posts in this thread!! You have a problem with immigration do something about it!!! Don't come on hear acting the big I am!!

LOL! It seems as though you have the problem, but you don't know it! You just pay. Good on yah, mate... Keep paying whatever they ask. Brilliant! I'll keep paying what is legally required as I have done for the past eight years now... And I've still never had a problem with immigration.

Lol love it on hear!! I'll keep my passport safe!!! Lol

Now you are insinuating that the Phuket Immigration Office would steal your passport? Really? You've been reading too many stories on TV! It takes me way less time to get my one year extension of my visa than it took you to get a resident certificate... So much for "tipping."

No I am not insinuating anything, they do lose paperwork there which I know from first hand, it had nothing to do with anything other than they just lost all my paperwork, I sorted it out nicely, I have never had a problem at immigration, in fact I get on well with them all, I choose to pay the fee for the certificate of residence, yes I could refuse but I choose not too, that is my choice!!

It also takes me very little time to re-new my visa, to me immigration is stress free, hassle free apart from this little problem I had, again it was sorted out quickly apart from the 1 hour wait, the immigration officers and I had a laugh about it!

Edited by dogpoo

No I am not insinuating anything, they do lose paperwork there which I know from first hand, it had nothing to do with anything other than they just lost all my paperwork, I sorted it out nicely, I have never had a problem at immigration, in fact I get on well with them all, I choose to pay the fee for the certificate of residence, yes I could refuse but I choose not too, that is my choice!!

It also takes me very little time to re-new my visa, to me immigration is stress free, hassle free apart from this little problem I had, again it was sorted out quickly apart from the 1 hour wait, the immigration officers and I had a laugh about it!

Funny you said; re-new your visa. I said that once years ago and the smart ass older skinny immigration officer in the middle of the back row and he said to me, you'll have to go to your home country to do that! I can give you an extension though.

Ah yes I see, it's all a good laugh there! I never say re- new my visa, I just put the paperwork on the desk and it all goes like clock

Work!

A bit off topic, but kind of the same thing, what we will put up with or won't. I went to Nai Harn Beach this afternoon on one of my old motorbikes, just to see how crowded it was still. I pulled up kind of near the Yacht Club Hotel, near the taxi stand on the beach side. A taxi driver was setting out traffic cones to protect a parking spot. He started telling I can't park there. I kept my cool for a minute then said in Thai: Really?I can not look at the ocean from here? Sure? What's the problem? He gave me a high wai and went away.

Edited by Jimi007

No one likes to pay a bill, fee or tax that they do not have to. You DO NOT have to pay the 300 baht for The Cerificate of Residence. This is Thai law, and common knowledge, yet many, including myself, pay the 300 baht.

Many immigration officers have become rich over the years by "charging / requesting" the 300 baht (a days wages in itself) for the issuing of the certificate.

Imagine for one minute EVERYONE refused to pay the 300 baht. I really can't see them "losing" everyone's paperwork or passport as some kind of punishment for not paying the 300 baht, BUT, what I can see happening is immigration saying, "Come back in two days - certicificate ready then, or, you pay 300 baht we do express for you right now."

Of course, they could come up with one of many other ways to solicit the money out of you without being nasty, threatening or extorting you.

I just think there is no way they will allow this easy money grab to fade away as people gain knowledge that the certificate is free and you should not be paying 300 baht for it.

Some may chose to come back in two days to collect it, others will pay 300 baht for "express processing" which is all that really happens now anyway.

I would estimate that they would do in the hundreds of these certicicates each week, 300 baht for most of them is a big supplement to their income. I just can't see them letting all that money go without coming up with a creative idea to keep that money coming in.

Dude... you have the POTENTIAL to earn ten times the AVERAGE thai salary if you have even half a functioning brain in the west... please 'splain the moral issue to me Lucy...

Dude... you have the POTENTIAL to earn ten times the AVERAGE thai salary if you have even half a functioning brain in the west... please 'splain the moral issue to me Lucy...

Try asking those that started the morals issue Sarah!!

• 4 weeks later...

Back to the OP and Phuket Immigration. I went to Phuket Immigration today a bit after 1 PM for my 90 day checkin. I was in and out in about 10 minutes. Spoke with a new young officer, who was very polite. No tip, not even a mention. Very professional and friendly. But of course I had all my paperwork in order. I saw several people who didn't and were turned back to the farang "help" desk.

Last week at the airport, i was a little bit surprised when the immigration officer asked me for 100 bath tip. he asked 3 times strictly. 2 times i ignored it and the last time i had some sentence in thai and took my passport and smile the thai style.

then he smiled back and gave me five. to estimate it only works 40 times a day and he works 25 days a month that is a tip of 100.000 bath a month.

it was one more time a funny experience for me with the immigration boys on phuket. but to be honest i think it is disgrace for phuket as a tourist destination.