Domino's Pizza Is Back In Bangkok

webfact

To each his own. I prefer the classic Italian version: thin, crispy, fresh ingredients, TLC from a real chef, baked in a stone oven.

On more thing. Pizzas do NOT come from the middle of the Pacific. Pineapple is a huge no no.

Given the number of crappy thin crust pizzas available in Bangkok, Dominos is a welcome addition.

For me there is no stand out Italian place doing great pizzas in Bangkok.

Don't give me Pala which is lunchtime stuff in my view....with good pasta. Or Limoncello which has become just dog average.

• Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always separated "real" pizza and what I think of as "fast food pizza" In the same way I separate a true hamburger from a fast food hamburger. Just as there are times when I'll have a fast food burger for reasons of speed, convenience, or access there are times when I'll have a fast food pizza. I'd rather have a well made hamburger or pizza with quality ingredients etc from a decent restaurant rather than a mass produced product from franchise joint but sometimes it's not convenient or even impossible. Just as I find a Burger King burger to be the lesser of fast food evils, I find the Domino's

pizza to be the same.

Besides, my wife loved Domino's. (though loves "real" pizza too. Go figure).

So we live in hope of a rapid and wide expansion of the Domino's delivery area.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Edited by SteeleJoe

To each his own. I prefer the classic Italian version: thin, crispy, fresh ingredients, TLC from a real chef, baked in a stone oven.

On more thing. Pizzas do NOT come from the middle of the Pacific. Pineapple is a huge no no.

Given the number of crappy thin crust pizzas available in Bangkok, Dominos is a welcome addition.

Don't give me Pala which is lunchtime stuff in my view....with good pasta. Or Limoncello which has become just dog average.

+1 thumbsup.gif

How is the Domino's at the Holiday Inn operating? Do they have a dine-in setting, or doing delivery only?

That's a great location for Domino's on soi 22, but I noticed that new Holiday Inn will only open in June. I'm sure they have a plan for a wide delivery area, being the 2nd largest Pizza chain in the U.S., and as pizza delivery is part of their core business. The will probably roll it out in phases.

Fair enough. I have yet to find a good restaurant, Thai or falang, that produces good quality food in Bangkok. Food is actually the last reason to go to the city. Luckily there are plenty of good restaurants where I live. My favorite is a creamy spicy penang curry which most Bangkok Thai never even heard of. Funny. Bangkok simply is not a culinary destination.

Edited by AgentSmith

i made the horrible mistake of ordering dominoes the other night. the menu has been thaified, the meatzza i ordered had hot dog slics instead of Italian sausage the experience was no different than pizza company or any of the other crap pizzas.

i will not be ordering dominoes again.

Fair enough. I have yet to find a good restaurant, Thai or falang, that produces good quality food in Bangkok. Food is actually the last reason to go to the city. Luckily there are plenty of good restaurants where I live. My favorite is a creamy spicy penang curry which most Bangkok Thai never even heard of. Funny. Bangkok simply is not a culinary destination.

i think there are many who would beg to differ

• Like 1

You're a funny guy, penang moo is known and easy to find in Thailand.

A lot of dam sang places will make it for you too.

They probably just didn't understand your busted up Thai.

i made the horrible mistake of ordering dominoes the other night. the menu has been thaified, the meatzza i ordered had hot dog slics instead of Italian sausage the experience was no different than pizza company or any of the other crap pizzas.

i will not be ordering dominoes again.

Yeah I understand this...but you just need to order more carefully. the pepperoni pizza is proper Western style for example.

Thailand is not Bangkok. I had the best Thai food north, south and east which I have yet to discover in Bangkok. They understand me everywhere I order Penang. Only in Bangkok they look at me with a dazed look. Many Thai already confirmed that it's not a known dish in the city. I'm sure in such a big place someone makes it but I have yet to discover where.

I prefer it with chicken by the way..

Edited by AgentSmith

I ordered a thin crust medium and brought it back to the counter as I was convinced (from the size) that they had mistakenly given me the personal size.

It was very expensive and not worth the extra dough (or lack of it). I will stick to Pizza company.

Edited by Kilgore Trout

I ordered a thin crust medium and brought it back to the counter as I was convinced (from the size) that they had mistakenly given me the personal size.

It was very expensive and not worth the extra dough (or lack of it). I will stick to Pizza company.

That's good to know. Pizza Company has had years to dial in its mass market pizza here. The Chicken Trio, Double Pepperoni, and Hawaiian are hard to beat. I imagine it will take Domino's some time to see it if can get it right.

Thailand is not Bangkok. I had the best Thai food north, south and east which I have yet to discover in Bangkok. They understand me everywhere I order Penang. Only in Bangkok they look at me with a dazed look. Many Thai already confirmed that it's not a known dish in the city. I'm sure in such a big place someone makes it but I have yet to discover where.

Certainly is readily available in Bangkok, but like a lot of the coconut milk based curries, it tends to be the sort of thing that is pre-prepared and sold, and if it hasn't been pre-prepared, they won't cook it on the spot. Obviously i'm not talking about upscale type restaurants, that will, but your average Thai eatery. Anyway, to say that it is not a known dish in Bangkok is a nonsense. Not always easy to find yes, but that is often the case outside of Bangkok too.

Certainly is readily available in Bangkok, but like a lot of the coconut milk based curries, it tends to be the sort of thing that is pre-prepared and sold, and if it hasn't been pre-prepared, they won't cook it on the spot. Obviously i'm not talking about upscale type restaurants, that will, but your average Thai eatery. Anyway, to say that it is not a known dish in Bangkok is a nonsense. Not always easy to find yes, but that is often the case outside of Bangkok too.

Yeah you will only get it from a cook to order place. Doesn't have to be upscale necessarily though. I prefer withot all the coconut milk....leaves more of my calorie count for other liquid refreshment. tongue.png

nonsense, i eat Penang moo or gai at last once every couple of weeks if not weekly, IN BANGKOK it is one of my favorite dishes. I have been told it is not on a particular restaurants menu, but have never encountered someone who hasn't heard of it.

Now i am uncertain what exactly your point is, or what it has to do with another corporate pizza in Bangkok, but get over yourself, you are not so advanced of palate that you are discovering Thai dishes Thais have never heard of.

yes i was stunned at how small the pie was

• Like 1

Pretty interesting and funny comments from the guy in charge of FICO Foods in a recent article:

He said Evolution Capital obtained the rights to manage Domino's Pizza in Thailand for 10 years, with an option to renew for a further decade. The first Domino's restaurant opened on New Year's Eve on Sukhumvit Soi 22 at the same plot as the under-construction Holiday Inn.

It is the re-entry of Domino's Pizza, which first came to Thailand briefly in the mid-1990s but pulled out amid fierce competition.

Evolution Capital expects to open 75-100 Domino's stores in Thailand in the next 3-5 years, each one costing 6 million baht.

"There is still room to grow in the Thai pizza market," said Mr Krit.

"People used to eat pizza simply because it was fashionable, but now they want a better-quality pizza."

clap2.gifclap2.gifblink.png

BTW, these are the same guys who had their Asoke office tower gutted by fire less than a year ago.

http://www.thaivisa....e-area-bangkok/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Two other odds and ends...

1. It's interesting to see on the Domino's Thailand website that they're once again offering the 30 minute delivery arrival or free pizza guarantee. The company used to offer the same 30 minute guarantee in the U.S. But then they had a multitude of bad car crashes where their delivery drivers were speeding to make their deliveries on time, injured other parties, lots of litigation and civil judgments, and finally the company dropped that guarantee in the U.S.

But then, this is Thailand. No nobody particularly cares, and there likely would be little consequence, if their drivers start causing serious traffic accidents here. In the U.S., the pizza delivery drivers were driving cars, so the collisions were more damaging. But here the drivers would be on motorcycles, so it'd probably be their own drivers who would get the worst of any collision.

2. As for the comments above about the size of their pizzas, their menu clearly advertises their pizza diameter sizes as 7 in., 9 in, or 12 in. Are you guys saying you paid for 9 inches, but only got 8 inches??? tongue.png Or is this a whole new round like the recent controversy with Subway Sandwich shops in the U.S. where people measured their "footlong" subs and they came up short?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

nonsense, i eat Penang moo or gai at last once every couple of weeks if not weekly, IN BANGKOK it is one of my favorite dishes. I have been told it is not on a particular restaurants menu, but have never encountered someone who hasn't heard of it.

Now i am uncertain what exactly your point is, or what it has to do with another corporate pizza in Bangkok, but get over yourself, you are not so advanced of palate that you are discovering Thai dishes Thais have never heard of.

Lol, I don't have a point. Just making conversation really. So I don't know what it is exactly I should overcome but I could give you some advice after your condescending remarks. The question is should I fall for yet another pointless never ending discussion on this website. I think I'll pass...

Dominos is excellent. Happy to see it here with Carl's Jr.

I wouldn't go near a Pizza Hut, and Pizza Co. is hit and miss (though when they get it right, it's really good).

Burger King tastes just like it does in the US, that is to say awful.

McDonald continues to be a last resort though the taste is the same everywhere in the world. Except for the Namtok beef. That's great stuff, and I've only found that in Thailand.

There are a couple good pizza places in Chiang Mai. Pulcinella is tasty. In Bangkok all the thin crust pizzerias are okay. Across from Lumpini Park near Silom MRT is an outdoor pizza joint near McDonalds that serves up tasty pizzas for only 60 baht. Order two though. They're Thai size. It's called Mama Dolores, and I'm happy to plug it here. I go there a lot.

As for Mexican food: forget it. I've tried Bourbon Street (They try hard, and it's passable.), Coyote (Sukhumvit Soi 33 appears to be closed--at least it was today; the one on Convent is AWFUL.), Charlie Browns (worse than awful), and Sunrise Tacos (fairly big portions but very heavy taste and expensive). The Sunrise Tacos in Siam Paragon is okay, but you pay through the nose for it.

Edited by KhunHehe

I'm no pizza expert but, outside of some Italian restaurants I've visited, Dominos is reasonably tasty. Certainly better than Pizza Hut or The Pizza Co.

They do have plans for expansion within Bangkok & outside.

I agree with you... I like domino's pizza... haven't tried it in Thailand yet.. but if it tastes like either pizza hut or the pizza co in Thailand.. they can forget my business. I like a good thick crust and lots of cheese on my pizza. Most Thai's don't like cheese so the pizza co. fits their bill..

Here in the US, most Thai's don't like American style pizza. So when someone brings a pizza to the temple here, I pretty much get the whole thing. clap2.gif

As for Mexican food: forget it. I've tried Bourbon Street (They try hard, and it's passable.), Coyote (Sukhumvit Soi 33 appears to be closed--at least it was today; the one on Convent is AWFUL.), Charlie Browns (worse than awful), and Sunrise Tacos (fairly big portions but very heavy taste and expensive). The Sunrise Tacos in Siam Paragon is okay, but you pay through the nose for it.

This is the best Mexican in town.

http://www.lamonita.com/La_Monita_Taqueria/Welcome.html

If someone can do the same for pizza please....

• Like 1

Sunrise Tacos (fairly big portions but very heavy taste and expensive). The Sunrise Tacos in Siam Paragon is okay, but you pay through the nose for it.

Sunrise Tacos is hardly expensive compared with the other Mexican places in town. That's a comment strictly on pricing...not comparing the food.

However, I'd also second Smokie's view that La Monita is probably the best Mexican to be had in BKK.

If Hehe thinks Sunrise is expensive, he'll be in for quite a shock at La Monita.

Lol, I don't have a point. Just making conversation really. So I don't know what it is exactly I should overcome but I could give you some advice after your condescending remarks. The question is should I fall for yet another pointless never ending discussion on this website. I think I'll pass...

I don't know how you can label candypants' reply as condescending when you say you know more about Thai food (yes I know Penang is in Malay) than Thai people.

Furthermore they have no idea and give you dazed looks, as if its their shortcoming.

Bangkok is irrelevant as a massive portion of the population is not originally from Bangkok anyway. The only difference with BKK people is that they're not as patient if they can't understand <deleted> you're saying. As I said, any dam sang joint will (at least try to) make it for you if they have curry powder and coco milk in the back. You did not confirm with Thais, that is total BS. Everyone knows what penang curry is, even several TV posters.

You can shrug it off as casually as you want, but these so called "pointless never ending discussions" begin when people like you claim to know more than others when truthfully they know squat.

I don't post often, partially because I agree that some discussions are pointless, but your statement was so glaringly false that I had to reply.

I apologize for jumping this thread. As a fan of both authentic and Americanized pizzas, anything to give Pizza Co. and Pizza Hut some competitive pressure is a good thing. Glad to see that Dominos is reworking their recipe though, as IMO theirs was probably the worst cardboard, cheese-scarce, topping-bare pizza available back home.

Edited by YTP