A Personal Story – With A Warning For Almost Everyone

David48

Thanks for all the comments and wishes above ... warmly appreciated and all liked.

The member richard_smith237 and I have chatted a little about this before.

His comments above are valid ... but my focus is about the long haul flights that we do.

Maybe it's only every 6 months back to England/Europe, Australia or State side.

The thing is that it's not like a mosquito bite that you feel, or a headache that you know is coming. There is no stiffness or cramping or general soreness ... it sneaks up on you.

And it's not the day after you get home, mine took a week.

So, the takeout message is ...

Take the advice you are given on the aircraft, get up and walk around, drink plenty of water, and in future, trust me, I'll be wearing flight socks.

Thanks for the good info.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same thing happen to me on my first trip back from Thailand severe pain in the calf area . I thought it was just a cramp but then it didnt go away . Went to my doctor who sent me straight to the ER . They did an ultra sound found the clot . They wanted me to stay in the hosptial but I refused so they sent me home gave me needles to inject in the stomach twice a day and a nurse came by everyday and checked my blood for two weeks. I was basically couch bound . My doctor put me on 10 mg of warfin daily . They never ran the test on me for Factor V. When I came to Thailand my doctor ran it and sure enough I had it . Never had a problem with clots after that and have made the same trip many times . I just make sure I take my meds drink plenty of water and get up every hour and walk around . Its nothing to play with and had I known how serious it was I probably would have let them admit me ...

Also it turns out all my brothers have it as well seems it is mainly passed from mother to son . I started out on cumadin after a couple of months my doctor changed me to warfin and my problem with sore feet stopped .....

Edited by BB1955

I do a lot of flying but I always take an aisle seat because I cant stand sitting for too long without getting up and moving around.

I wasnt aware that so many people were affected by dvt as I thought it was quite rare. Many people though drug themselves out with pills and alcohol on these long haul flights so being a bit comatose and not moving much would only add to the likelihood of getting dvt.

I believe that fish oil and gingo biloba are good for keeping the blood thin and without the side effects of aspirin.

And it is unclear if aspirin helps for dvt in any case.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread and making us all more aware of taking the precautions for dvt seriously.

• Like 1

did you had any Vein problems before?

(I don't know the English name...when it looks like you have ugly blue cables in your legs)

Wish you good luck......

Vericose veins is the term, my mother had them so bad that she had most of the veins removed from her legs, years ago.

There are some leg/foot movement exercises you can do in your seat which are helpful. I recall Jetstar ( a Qantas subsidiary) shows a video on how to do these at the start of every long-haul flight.

Personally I prefer the aisle seat so it is easy to get up and go fro a stroll around the cabin once or twice during the 8 hour flight from Melbourne to Bangkok. Another favorite of mine is to stand at the rear exit doors and do some squats and stretches. And then stand around there for 5 or 10 minutes. By the way, the rear toilets get far less use than the centre toilets. People are basically dense and seem to forget they are there because they seem to be only recognize a toilet if it is to the front of them. On an Airbus, rows 50 and higher are the best.

Thanks for the info Dave.....been out of the loop for a while. Hope you are recovering well.

I too always thought it an old person's problem (ok I'm a young 52) and didn't think it concerned me, but thanks to many posters here who have shared their experiences and symptoms.

It will be a while before I fly again, but will certainly keep all this info in mind.

Cheers.

Should be no problem for men as they age - at least it works for me - the prostate strangling the urethra requiring the bladder to be emptied frequently gets me up and walking to the toilet (why do Americans have such trouble with that word? Do you really go there to 'rest'?).

So while I'm up I usually do a circuit or 2.

Should be no problem for men as they age - at least it works for me - the prostate strangling the urethra requiring the bladder to be emptied frequently gets me up and walking to the toilet (why do Americans have such trouble with that word? Do you really go there to 'rest'?).

So while I'm up I usually do a circuit or 2.

So there are some advantages later in my mature years ... laugh.png

DVT is, at least to a degree, genetically determined. My sister had it after a relatively short flight from North Africa to Europe.

A short while later I had my genome sequenced (at least the "active" part of whatever; it's not the full sequence) and they show you your risks: in my family we're four times more likely to suffer from DVT than the average (also found out that I have decreased Warfarin sensitivity which is also genetically determined).

This DNA mapping used to be expensive but is now affordable, and is good information to have, also to include on a medic alert card (in my wallet there's a card that says that I've increased risk of DVT so if something happens they know this is one area they should check).

Have a look at https://www.23andme.com/ - the outfit was started by the wife of one of the Google boys. Might help you save your own life one day.

Thanks David for bring this to light, in many ways it is kind of depressing real eh !

I don't think so.

Is there any data....CMK will love me....in regards to the number of people that get this problem compared with how many people fly etc ?

Think it is like most things....if you are going to catch it you will...but you can do a few things to help prevent it.

A little story....many years ago I was involved with 3 couples that travelled to a remote locale to take up a business. 5 of the 6 took anti malaria injections and such, 1 did not.

Of all 6, 5 caught malaria...guess which ones ?

Hmmmmmmm ... diddums ... failing to see your logic with this post above.

And particulary I don't wish to debate with you the relative merits of taking precautions to prevent a DVT.

Let's move on please.

Just saying that not every one is going to take vitamin c tablets or eat an orange or 3 to reduce the chance of catching a cold........many do and still catch one.

But it is good to be aware of it.

I was before, but never really bothered about it.

Getting older, might start now....but doubt I will ever go the whole hog and wear them socks....walking about and stretching perhaps, but not socks.

Sorry to hear that David, and thanks for sharing.

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery! thumbsup.gif

David, now here's the thing.

Thanks for sharing and you have done a wonderful job,

I BELIEVE that you needed to endure this.

You did and you chose to help the rest of the world and for this I truly thank you.

Now back to you.

So you got struck and you seem to have risen above it.

Bless you sir.

Some ppl will succumb to their ills, some will not.

There are those, who, in the face of science, will overcome the worst that can be thrown at them.

You Sir, are one of those and I applaud you.

May you go from strength to strength.

I suppose that at some time in the future, I will read that you were "cured" by something fantastic and that the world of "Science" challenges you for that.

What do "they" know......

Believe that you are cured and you are cured.

As you already know - You are always right. Rise above or fail, your belief will out, so I urge you to believe in the best, the most, the wonderful. Close your eyes (and especially the heart) to damaging thoughts.

David, thank you for being you.

• Like 2

Due to Flying

Studies have proven that airplane travelers who fly for four hours or more, are three times more likely to develop blood clots than the time when not flying. Thus, flying increases the risk of blood clot symptoms. It is more common in people who sit in economy class section. The cramped space leads to deep vein thrombosis in the arms and legs. If the clot breaks free, it can lead to pulmonary embolism.

Sorry I have not read all the replies but i always check in online, and say i have back pain and being 6 foot odd I have trouble with swollen legs.

Not once have I been refused a seat by the emrgency door. If you don't ask you don't get.

• 2 weeks later...

Curious, would taking aspirin for a few days before flying cut the risk of blog clots? I've always been told not to take it before any medical procedures.

Oddly Aspirin was put on the controlled drug list almost a year ago here........ there were soon another brand sold, which I used.....

Never connected this with my problems for many months, swollen ankles and feet and a lot of pain......... about a month ago the house next door the older Son visited he is a Dr, [in his late 40's] I talked to him......... few days later the old man called me had a big bottle of the old type Aspirin, date shows these were made in October 2012......... again after taking them for a couple of days little pain and all the swelling gone

So for me the new Aspirin called 'Aspilets' do not work.......... so no idea if the over the counter 'Aspilets' will cut the risk of blog clots

Curious, would taking aspirin for a few days before flying cut the risk of blog clots? I've always been told not to take it before any medical procedures.

Aspirin is fairly widen known as a blood thinner and it's effect on the blood stream is relatively quick.

The doctor in the emergency ward where I went before being admitted into Hospital said that while Aspirin was useful to prevent heart attacks and strokes ... which is slightly different from the causes of a DVT.

Some really good info on how Aspirin works is here at how-aspirin-works

The above said ... it is quite common to go onto a course of Aspirin once you leave the Warfin medication.

Which leads into the post above ...

Oddly Aspirin was put on the controlled drug list almost a year ago here........ there were soon another brand sold, which I used.....

Never connected this with my problems for many months, swollen ankles and feet and a lot of pain......... about a month ago the house next door the older Son visited he is a Dr, [in his late 40's] I talked to him......... few days later the old man called me had a big bottle of the old type Aspirin, date shows these were made in October 2012......... again after taking them for a couple of days little pain and all the swelling gone

So for me the new Aspirin called 'Aspilets' do not work.......... so no idea if the over the counter 'Aspilets' will cut the risk of blog clots

So, a little research reveals that the Aspilets to which you refer are simple a lower dose form of the common Aspirin tablet.

From memory, a regular Aspirin tablet contains 300mg of the drug and the Aspilets which you refer to are 80mg ... so the same thing, just a lower dose.

For me, the plan is to migrate off the Warfin an onto the 100mg Aspirin as that is what is available in my country.

Extended use of Aspirin has side effects ... as any drug has.

"Common side effects can include: nausea, drowsiness, headache and stomach irritation"

And it's that last one mentioned "stomach irritation" which does affect some people ... hence the lower dose.

Hope that helps ...

Taking aspirin may help, as may any other sensible precautions (but no guarantees!). It may be sensible to drink extra fluids (not alcohol, or caffein) for a few days before flying, as this can also help to thin the blood. I usually do this.... I'm on a daily 75mg dose of aspirin anyway, and wear flight socks (I can't say i like them, but I'll put up with the indignity if it helps to reduce the odds of DVT). If I don't get up for the obligatory number of pee visits, i make sure I move my toes, ankles and knees frequently. In times gone by, I'd be scooping the alcohol when flying, but now, it's fruit juices or water.

I'd like to think I'm neither neurotic or a boring old fart.... I'd prefer to call it being prudent..... Lastly, having done the UK - BKK non-stop flight once, I will not do it again. I prefer to break the journey and have a walk round a transit hall somewhere (hell, I can't even do a 3-hour drive in my home area without stopping somewhere!!)

• 3 months later...

As a side note, DVT only happens to those with a propensity for such problems.

You are born with it, or you aren't.

PS

Get well soon!

Actually, I can now medically refute what Tommo writes above.

After the treatment program, I underwent a comprehensive series of blood test to identify if I had a genetic predisposition to getting blood clots ... do I have 'sticky blood'?

The answer is no ... I'm normal ... well, my blood is anyway.

Almost 6 months later I'm still wearing one of these ...

Jobst-Relief-Open-Toe.jpg

... and still taking Warfin, the blood thinner.

My prospects for a full recover is good, apart from scarring on the veins where the clots formed.

a friend of mine passed away at age 25 due to DVT he was siting next to me slipping away slowly and holding hes knee cap and died. doctor said it was to much red bull and siting still for to long. the energy drink might make blood sticky. I was a pilot student and a frequent traveler and i am quite disappointed at my self as i should of known better. and a few days before that i was reading a article on lying in hospital beds to long can course blood clots and the early symptoms they look at for as it was just in a interesting read.

but on a serous note Ill be following my friend if i had the choose to instead of wearing those socks.

• Like 1

Just read your story. Sorry about bad news. You are still young and have all the prospects of recovery from this problem.

Thanks for the post. Many people will be aware now.

I'm over 70, my blood is very thick (dehydrated) and clots easily.

On my flights I try to walk the isles every hour. More people should do this to reduce the risk of DVT.

But it occurs to people predisposed without apparent reason too.

Get well, Dave.

• Like 1

Very good heads up for everyone David because many are in ignorance of these potential problems. I wish you a complete recovery from your own dilemma and think you have handled it all really well in the circumstances..

Having been a frequent flyer for more than 40 years over very long distances i was first made aware of such problems one day in the 1980's when flying from Japan to Europe. A fellow passenger, a fellow businessman i knew in passing, who was sitting in a window seat nearby, let out a muffled scream and was holding his leg. His face was distorted with pain and the crew more or less had to carry him to the galley area and try to do what they could to ease his pain. Thankfully we were only about 30 minutes out of Heathrow and on arrival he was whipped away in an Ambulance pretty sharpish. I knew his office's and a few days later whilst in London i called by to see how he was, and to my complete astonishment, he had died the day after the incident. The company i worked for always made sure that we employee's in senior positions were given annual check overs each year at The New Cavendish Medical Center in London and they were quite rigorous in their procedures. Next time my turn came around for 'inspection' i told the Doctor what had happened to the guy i knew on the plane and he made me very aware of the problems of DVT for frequent flyers and gave me an extensive list of do's and dont's. Needless to say i have always followed his guidelines since and thankfully have avoided problems. Down the years since i have tried to pass on my knowledge to others, without trying to nag, and it has surprised me somewhat in recent years that there is still a lot of ignorance in this area.

• Like 1