A Personal Story – With A Warning For Almost Everyone

David48

Hi David,

I can relate to this, came back on 2-12-12 from 30 days in Thailand.

Two weeks back and had pain in lower chest, off to Drs, sent off for a scan. Clot in left lung.

Spent 9Hrs in hospital. Injections for 4 days also put on Warfarin for 3 months.

Due to fly again on March 14th. Dr said would be OK but will keep me on Warfarin while I'm away.

When in Thailand I drink a bit more then at home. It seems while your on Warfarin your not to drink booze.

I think I had the start of a clot before I left. Just put off work after 50 years on my feet every day and crawling under printing units.

While in Thailand my right leg was swollen and 2 x8hr bus trips didn't help.

Will get some stocking.

Have allways had an isle seat and walked around a bit, but will do a lot more now

I would dred not being able to fly again.

Does anyone where in BKK, Pattaya, Udon you can have your blood checked for INR levels?

A lot of good information in these posts.

Thanks...aussiep

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi David,

Two weeks back and had pain in lower chest, off to Drs, sent off for a scan. Clot in left lung.

Spent 9Hrs in hospital. Injections for 4 days also put on Warfarin for 3 months.

Due to fly again on March 14th. Dr said would be OK but will keep me on Warfarin while I'm away.

When in Thailand I drink a bit more then at home. It seems while your on Warfarin your not to drink booze.

I think I had the start of a clot before I left. Just put off work after 50 years on my feet every day and crawling under printing units.

Will get some stocking.

Have allways had an isle seat and walked around a bit, but will do a lot more now

Does anyone where in BKK, Pattaya, Udon you can have your blood checked for INR levels?

Thanks...aussiep

Any hospital can check your INR. I was getting mine measured at Samitivej.

As I worked away a lot I was also self testing every few days (self tests must be checked with regular (monthly) hospital checks).

The Self Test kits and strips can be bought in BKK (at Samitivej and bumrungrad hospitals but aren't cheap at approx US$1000).

Edited by richard_smith237

Thanks for that phuturatica and the reason for my reply to you is that you are a lady ... and there is an extensive range of aids designed to assist with your travelling.

Believe it or not ... the below are also 'compression stockings' which you can use to stop the blood pooling at the bottom of your legs.

Jobst-opaque-%20pantyhose.jpg

Or maybe a more practical (when you need a pee) ...

venosan-legline-thigh-high.jpg

EDIT ... changed the photo as the other one was too large

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

Hi David,

Will get some stocking.

Thanks...aussiep

Two things to emanate out of your post.

The young Hospital pharmacist did sort of law down the law about alcohol consumption and some line about making the liver work extra hard to process the Warfin and also metabolise the alcohol.

When I quizzed my GP (local doctor) there was a wee roll of the eyes and his advice was that sure .. don't go crazy on the grog ... but consistency the #1 thing ... to keep the levels of Warfin consistent.

Please seek your own medical advice ... rolleyes.gif ... opinions vary

For those who have had a DVT before ... you can now have your Warfin levels tested at your GP and as aussiep indicates ... you can self test ... though I have no experience about that.

I'm sorry for the plight you're in, but not sure why you mentioned this:

I'm being treated with the blood thinning agent, Warfarin.....which is also used as rat poison.

Many medications become toxic when concentrated, and some are actually diluted versions of toxins (Botox to treat nerve and muscle pain, for example).

Back to the OP, I am always amazed at how few people I see getting up and stretching on that long flight back to the states. I think the flight crew might be well advised to include this as part of their safety lecture at the beginning of the flight. DVT probably happens more often than a plane crash does.

^ Agree.

On a recent China Southern Airlines flight, at the end of the flight there was a video showing how to stretch the body etc. A lot of people followed it and did the steps.

Would have been good if they had done this ongoing on one of the video chanels though..as by the end of the flight its a bit late really.

However, good on them for trying at least something!

I've been vaguely aware of the DVT issue and manage to take the baby aspirin for about ten days before my flights, and try to get at least some walkabout exercise on the plane.

Those "flight socks" or "compression socks" look very useful, and are obviously not the kind of things handed out by the airlines.

I think they could be a good idea for my super long flights across the Pacific, so where can I buy them? Any specific brand to look for or shops? Bangkok or provinces?

I feel sure I noticed them by accident and 100% not where i would look for them, Big C and in the Sport section

Got mine in the duty free leaving Perth about $50.

My guess is Central may have them where they sell luggage.

I feel sure I noticed them by accident and 100% not where i would look for them, Big C and in the Sport section
Got mine in the duty free leaving Perth about $50.My guess is Central may have them where they sell luggage.

Boots in the departures area of Suvarnabumi have them.... they come in generic size brackets (i.e. 9-12 etc)..

That said, leaving it until you get to the airport only to discover there has been a mad rush by ThaiVisa.com members and they have sold out is not a great idea. Somewhere in town must also sell them - however, I've not noticed them.

As an alternative - Some sports socks are compression socks and do the same job. (i.e. Nike Compression socks).

post-22569-0-23941800-1360308645_thumb.j

Edited by richard_smith237

They look like normal socks ?

I usually put my feet up on the headrest in front and works for me.

Ya gotta spread your knees though to view the entertainment screen adequately.

I bet the guy in the seat I front really appreciats that.

Edited by RabC

get well soon dai,this subject should be publisized more as its very dangerous,me&wf.done a lot of long haul flights through the 90's and the first we found out about dvt.was when a young lady close to where we lived died after a flight from oz.yr.2000 her mother still campains around gwent,south wales about the dangers of it.dont worry about the warfarin i have to take 14mg.a week for life,it does keep them rats away.

^^ no problems ... laugh.png ... overpage

But let's not just focus on a mechanical solution.

You create blood circulation by physical movement and assist it by staying hydrated.

Asprin does help with some things ... but apparently not the vienous side of the equation.

Edited by David48

Compression stockings can be bought at the HealthyMax shop on the 2nd floor (Mezzanine Fl.) of the Bumrungrad International Hospital. Baht 1350.

Having worn them daily for the last 7 months, would recommend the open toe type as shown in Post #54. The closed toe type put to much pressure on the toes, at least for me, for continuious wear.

Best to call before, because sometimes they are out of stock. Tel. 0-2667-1315 or email: [email protected]

Know the feeling, mine went one stage further and I developed multiple pulmonary embolisms. Another 30 minutes and I would have been dead.

My own fault though as I do a lot of flying and used to sleep the whole flight. Not any more, 3 months of gut injections, great. Now I wont even drive for more than 2 hours without a stop.

By the way, it can happen to anyone, not just people with a propensity for it.

Sent from my GT-N8000

Edited by TexasRanger

That's why I fly BKK-Europe with a Middle East stop half way and business class as long as I can afford it, no more 12h+ flights for me, thank you.

Used to wear these special socks flying non-stop cattle class in the 90ties.

Edited by tartempion

Hi David

I warned you about drinking that Leo catspiss, so bad you have to take ratpoison to counter its long term effects.

But seriously, mate, get well, hope there are no recurrences and thanks for the warning. I became aware of it a few years ago and even though I dont like moving around on the plane (turbulence freaks me out, I was on a Qantas flight to Canberra years ago and the hosty hit the roof) I take my shoes off and do a lot of toe and feet moves. Lowered the alcohol intake too.

• Like 1

Get well soon David

As a side note, DVT only happens to those with a propensity for such problems.

You are born with it, or you aren't.

Tommo are you sure about this? I know a fit experienced fighter pilot who's career was cut short after developing DVT on a commercial flight.

I've been vaguely aware of the DVT issue and manage to take the baby aspirin for about ten days before my flights, and try to get at least some walkabout exercise on the plane.

Those "flight socks" or "compression socks" look very useful, and are obviously not the kind of things handed out by the airlines.

I think they could be a good idea for my super long flights across the Pacific, so where can I buy them? Any specific brand to look for or shops? Bangkok or provinces?

A simple alternative that works well & you can find everywhere even in Thailand

Arm Warmers. If you can get the ones with a bit of Lycra in them better yet

The ones you see so many Thai's wear to keep out of the sun more than to keep warm

Get well soon David

As a side note, DVT only happens to those with a propensity for such problems.

You are born with it, or you aren't.

Tommo are you sure about this? I know a fit experienced fighter pilot who's career was cut short after developing DVT on a commercial flight.

I really didn't wish to refute any of the posts here as I am conscious that I post in the General Forum and the honest intent of the post is to alert those who don't know of the dangers of DVT's and for those who do know, but have flown many times ... and just simply relax ... as I did ... a tap on the shoulder friend.

The poster is correct ... however the percentages are relatively small ... w00t.gif

"Some people have a genetic predisposition to venous thrombosis conditions such ... occurring in between 3 percent to 8 percent of the general population,"

The
Hughes Syndrome (APS) is sometimes called 'sticky blood syndrome'. This is because people with it have an increased tendency to form clots in blood vessels (also known as thromboses). Any blood vessel can be affected including the veins and the arteries.

Currently I have the whole gambit of blood tests ... but I do know the answer to the 'sticky blood' question ... it was not the cause as I had this blood test 6 years ago.

Will know the results hopefully next week.

Edited by David48

You have to keep that blood flowing.Warfrin keeps millions of people going every day especially those that have heart valves replaced.Dont eat to many green leafey vegetables,look out of foot drop usually clears up in a couple of years.Main thing is get that Warfrin level checked,when you get that right you are nearly there.Good Luck

Thanks for all the comments and wishes above ... warmly appreciated and all liked.

The member richard_smith237 and I have chatted a little about this before.

His comments above are valid ... but my focus is about the long haul flights that we do.

Maybe it's only every 6 months back to England/Europe, Australia or State side.

The thing is that it's not like a mosquito bite that you feel, or a headache that you know is coming. There is no stiffness or cramping or general soreness ... it sneaks up on you.

And it's not the day after you get home, mine took a week.

So, the takeout message is ...

Take the advice you are given on the aircraft, get up and walk around, drink plenty of water, and in future, trust me, I'll be wearing flight socks.

As for warning people about health hazards, not so sure.

Referring to these words of wisdom I read years ago ''Wisdom comes from the meeting of knowledge with experience''.

The only thing you can convey here is knowledge.... People have to live their own experiences in life.

And try to convey the dangers of smoking to smokers. Then you will understand fully the words of wisdom....

Hope you get well soon.

• Like 1