I Hate High Season Vol. 1.

hansgruber

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More aggressive double pricing

Can you give me an example? I know the zoo gets very aggressive this time of year. Heard people getting charged 1000 baht entry.

yes, no rain. i'm so bored with this weather. please make it stop.

Yes. Garden is suffering greatly and the well is drying up.

I look forward to I Hate High Season Vol 2 in 2015 when all the fun starts. There won't be any low season and today's gonna seem like a quiet day at the park.

Pesky tourists - how dare they holiday in the expat designated areas.

We will be at Vol 6 by 2015.

I'm not against holiday makers, just the whole mess that this time of year brings.

Construction is in full swing now due to the dry weather but infrastructure can't cope.

I think NKM has rubbed off on me. Nooooooooo....

• Like 1

More tour buses, more tour vans, more water trucks, more inexperienced bike riders, more rental cars, more traffic, more bbq somtam samlors, more construction, less water, less parking, less stock in supermarkets, crowded beaches.

I got more but that would be nit picking.

Anything else you guys want to add what you hate about high season?

...more forum posts complaining about above points... ;)

Complaining isn't unique to high season but the attempted humor is noted. Good show.

• Like 1

More instant "taxi' huts going up everywhere, more shouts of "taxi, tuk tuk" wherever you go and seeing all these new "legit" taxis taking up all the parking in non designanted taxi zones as there are so many vehicles now they can't all fit in their self designated areas of parking that the public can't park in.

On a positive note, quite a bit of eye candy everywhere you look.

• Like 2

More instant "taxi' huts going up everywhere, more shouts of "taxi, tuk tuk" wherever you go and seeing all these new "legit" taxis taking up all the parking in non designanted taxi zones as there are so many vehicles now they can't all fit in their self designated areas of parking that the public can't park in.

I saw that in a few areas, the yellow tuk tuk parking space lines have been appearing everywhere and Kata and Karon have a hut on about every corner.

I feel for those business owners who have them loitering out front or even in their businesses whilst aggressively spruiking customers with TUK TUK loudly.

Its like they are pre wired or automated to just say tuk tuk to anyone who isn't Thai.

I laugh when I'm walking in the opposite direction on a one way street and they still ask if I want a tuk tuk that would obviously take me in the wrong direction.

• Like 1

Can you give me an example? I know the zoo gets very aggressive this time of year. Heard people getting charged 1000 baht entry.

I look forward to I Hate High Season Vol 2 in 2015 when all the fun starts. There won't be any low season and today's gonna seem like a quiet day at the park.

I'm not against holiday makers, just the whole mess that this time of year brings.

Construction is in full swing now due to the dry weather but infrastructure can't cope.

Why don't you leave Phuket for high season if it makes you so unhappy? Serious question.

I think Hansgruber has rubbed off on me. Noooooooo smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Seriously, Asian tour groups that take up a whole walkway while they're receiving information or instructions. Sometimes I feel like yelling out, "Tsunami coming - run" just so they will move. smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

NnK.

I do leave Phuket very regularly but the high season crush gets me down on return.

Why not add some of your frustrations with high season? Its usually your modus operandi when threads of this nature surface.

My "frustrations" are more of the systematic issues here. You know how critical I am of the transport issue here on Planet Phuket.

The ques at the airport immigration, after doing a visa run, are frustrating during the high season. I have tried to minimise the impact by departing/arriving at odd hours and have also timed the visa run to not be in December or January this high season, so, hopefully, not as bad as in the past.

I miss a bit of regular rain. It washes the streets and walkways, cleans the air, flushes the drains, and keeps the dust down.

I agree with your construction issue. Just about everywhere there is heavy machinery noise. Before I sit for lunch, dinner, or a drink, I check there's no noise from next door. If you paid big money for a nice hotel for your holiday, and right next to your hotel they are building another one, you wouldn't be happy.

Edited by NamKangMan

Insane, crazy, big bike renters. Usually a small group of 3-5, all riding at high speed, weaving in and out of traffic, and sometimes ending up in a pile down the road (that part could be considered good).

I need some rain. Dirty and dusty with all the construction and the storm drain needs a good cleansing.

• Like 1

I saw that in a few areas, the yellow tuk tuk parking space lines have been appearing everywhere and Kata and Karon have a hut on about every corner.

I feel for those business owners who have them loitering out front or even in their businesses whilst aggressively spruiking customers with TUK TUK loudly.

Its like they are pre wired or automated to just say tuk tuk to anyone who isn't Thai.

I laugh when I'm walking in the opposite direction on a one way street and they still ask if I want a tuk tuk that would obviously take me in the wrong direction.

My wife saw the Tuk tuk scum actually painting their own lines outside of Banzan market

Why don't you leave Phuket for high season if it makes you so unhappy? Serious question.

some of us have kids in school and other commitments here.

Yes, I know, I mentioned things like kids in school and being "committed" to Phuket through family, property and/or business. It was a small joke between me and hansgruber, but your post leads to an interesting question/poll to yourself and other Phuket expats.

That question is, if you had no commitments on Phuket, would you leave? Are decisions made previously the only thing keeping many expats here?

I don't mean to derail the thread. Actually, that question may be for a new thread.

Edited by NamKangMan

Do you think you will still be on Phuket in 2015?

Speaking of high season - and I'm probably close to going off topic myself here - but how busy is it going to be between Phuket airport and Phuket Town on Sunday and Monday (with Chinese New Year)?

I have to make several flights between Phuket and Bangkok in 2 days, and wondering how much time I need to allow to get around the island.

cheers

SVB

NKM.

I am uncertain. Krabi is nice and been looking up that way but lacks schools and conveniences that Phuket offers.

Ao por seems like a good balance for now and closer to school.

I only plan year by year and don't really look that far ahead but if it deteriorates badly by 2015, I can easily just pack my stuff and go.

My needs aren't really important but my kids needs are.

Speaking of high season - and I'm probably close to going off topic myself here - but how busy is it going to be between Phuket airport and Phuket Town on Sunday and Monday (with Chinese New Year)?

I have to make several flights between Phuket and Bangkok in 2 days, and wondering how much time I need to allow to get around the island.

cheers

SVB

I'd say 45 mins if you factor in traffic.

• Like 1

NKM.

I am uncertain. Krabi is nice and been looking up that way but lacks schools and conveniences that Phuket offers.

Ao por seems like a good balance for now and closer to school.

I only plan year by year and don't really look that far ahead but if it deteriorates badly by 2015, I can easily just pack my stuff and go.

My needs aren't really important but my kids needs are.

At least you are looking at a "Plan B." Many here think Phuket is heaven, and always will be heaven. Ask them where else they have been in Thailand and they say, "Nowhere else." They have nothing to compare Phuket to, therefore, have no idea what's on the other side of the fence. In my opinion, Phuket is changing, rapidly. I already have a short list of "Plan B's." Only time will tell if I am here in 2015.

So, looks like the question I asked to Steveeeee is relevent to yourself as well.

If you had no committments on Phuket Eg. family, property, business etc - would you even still be here right now?

If i had no family and single, NO.

Id be driving around Europe in the summer and probably do some winters here and other asian destinations.

Life has led me here and i dont regret a thing, i make the best of what is here for me.

Would it be fair to say the single biggest reason you are on Phuket is because of the International Schools here?

I never really considered the fact that building a half decent International School would be the main attraction for expats to live in a specific geographical location in Thailand.

In relation to their fees, they are obviously a good business. In relation to the Phuket local economy, they are probably vital in attracting and retaining expats to the island.

So, if International Schools were more availble in other areas of Thailand, I gather you would leave.

If i had no family and single, NO.

Id be driving around Europe in the summer and probably do some winters here and other asian destinations.

Life has led me here and i dont regret a thing, i make the best of what is here for me.

Would it be fair to say the single biggest reason you are on Phuket is because of the International Schools here?

I never really considered the fact that building a half decent International School would be the main attraction for expats to live in a specific geographical location in Thailand.

In relation to their fees, they are obviously a good business. In relation to the Phuket local economy, they are probably vital in attracting and retaining expats to the island.

So, if International Schools were more availble in other areas of Thailand, I gather you would leave.

Schools arent the reason i stay.

I have friends, my wife has friends and my kids have friends and we are settled into a routine where we are happy.

Its just the high season crush gets to me, i drive so defensively in high season as the road novices hog lanes and pull out in front of me without notice.

Im just frustrated much like yourself, as the island grows with development and investment, nobody is working for infrastructure for the development boom or positive change.

Just think of all the money that the island generates and nothing gets reinvested. Roads are shit, power lines litter the sky and the drainage floods and stinks.

Phuket is all take and no give. Thats what needs to change.

• Like 2

To those not living here for work/family related reasons who dislike the high season: it bugs me when you complain about the high season. Please respect that Thai families have to make a living. Why did you settle down in a touristy place like Phuket anyway, knowing it would develop further? Pack your bags and get a one way ticket to Madagascar.

This having said, glad that I live in Khao Lak, and not in Phuket, more breathing space here.

Edited by keestha
  • Like 1