I Hate High Season Vol. 1.

hansgruber

I agree with much of the previous post, however I would point out that the electric black and brown outs were much worse 16 years ago, there was not ADSL internet (only dial up), no cable TV (only a big dish on the roof), no gov water line, and I could go on ....

Fair point LIK, but it seems all this new construction is being connected to the small water pipe that handled the Soi years ago but is now overloaded, and that small electric cable that handled the Soi years ago but is now overloaded, the Soi itself which was wide enough a few years ago but is now jammed with traffic, and the small sewer pipe that handled the Soi years ago but now backs up, and the small storm water drainage that handled the Soi when there was some land around but is now all concreted over and floods etc etc.

You don't go and build a 100 room hotel, for example, without it changing its immediate surrounds and the amenities that supply the area.

Sorry for delay in replying NKM - some of us have to work here in paradise biggrin.png

I don't know what 'soi' you are talking about, but let's talk about Nanai Road (a place that I know a lot about).

Years ago the electric lines terminated near the south end of the road, now the lines are connected in a ring from north to south. That helps a lot with power outages.

Traffic, yes I agree, nightmare.

I've never ever noticed any problem with sewer pipes, never known it to 'back up'. Fact of the matter is that there is no sewage pipe on Nanai.

Storm water drains - now that's an area that has been considerably improved with many concrete drainage channels constructed, they even took care of the famous 'Nanai Lake'.

I used the term "Soi" to describe any Soi on the island, as construction is happening everywhere.

I live in a fairly new apartment in Patong and I have to "plunger" the toilet every now and then, and that's not from eating too much fibre. smile.pngsmile.png

My place looks nice, and the management are great, but it appears every now and then just too many people in the area are pressing the "hong nam button" at the same time for the sewer pipe to handle it, and guess what, they are building more apartments nearby.

They may have taken care of "Nanai Lake" but have you seen Soi Banzaan after a decent rain - it's become The Banzaan River. Seriously, the water flows down there like a river. There are two new massive constructions to the left and to the right of Soi Banzaan, on the hill - no way they will retain all of that storm water "on site." All those extra square meters of "hard stand" (concrete) is going to catch a lot of water. Not great if you live, or have bought a business, at the bottom of the hill.

I'm always well aware I chose to live in a third world country, but I would have thought the dozen or so families running Phuket would have made enough money to now offer a better product to people and something more sustainable for future generations of their kids, and tourist and expats.

Instead, they are still into making quick and easy money, and in the process, are sending Phuket "tits up."

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with much of the previous post, however I would point out that the electric black and brown outs were much worse 16 years ago, there was not ADSL internet (only dial up), no cable TV (only a big dish on the roof), no gov water line, and I could go on ....

Fair point LIK, but it seems all this new construction is being connected to the small water pipe that handled the Soi years ago but is now overloaded, and that small electric cable that handled the Soi years ago but is now overloaded, the Soi itself which was wide enough a few years ago but is now jammed with traffic, and the small sewer pipe that handled the Soi years ago but now backs up, and the small storm water drainage that handled the Soi when there was some land around but is now all concreted over and floods etc etc.

You don't go and build a 100 room hotel, for example, without it changing its immediate surrounds and the amenities that supply the area.

Sorry for delay in replying NKM - some of us have to work here in paradise biggrin.png

I don't know what 'soi' you are talking about, but let's talk about Nanai Road (a place that I know a lot about).

Years ago the electric lines terminated near the south end of the road, now the lines are connected in a ring from north to south. That helps a lot with power outages.

I've never ever noticed any problem with sewer pipes, never known it to 'back up'. Fact of the matter is that there is no sewage pipe on Nanai.

Storm water drains - now that's an area that has been considerably improved with many concrete drainage channels constructed, they even took care of the famous 'Nanai Lake'.

You can't say that the new hotel (all seasons?) On the hill and the other huge condo project on nanai won't stretch those facilities even further.

The dirt from the condo site has turned nanai into a complete dustbowl.

I replied to LIK's post before reading yours.

Yes, the constructions you mention are a typical example of what's happening all over the island.

You have a reasonably fine, practicle, liveable, functional apartment - then, they build a huge place nearby, and now many places in the area have problems with amenities. Eg. the Soi floods, the sewer backs up, more traffic/parking issues etc etc, and guess what, they are building another new place, near the new place.

Edited by NamKangMan

I used the term "Soi" to describe any Soi on the island, as construction is happening everywhere.

I live in a fairly new apartment in Patong and I have to "plunger" the toilet every now and then, and that's not from eating too much fibre. smile.pngsmile.png

My place looks nice, and the management are great, but it appears every now and then just too many people in the area are pressing the "hong nam button" at the same time for the sewer pipe to handle it, and guess what, they are building more apartment nearby.

They may have taken care of "Nanai Lake" but have you seen Soi Banzaan after a decent rain - it's become The Banzaan River. Seriously, the water flows down there like a river. There are two new massive constructions to the left and to the right of Soi Banzaan, on the hill - no way they will retain all of that storm water "on site." All those extra square meters of "hard stand" (concrete) is going to catch a lot of water. Not great if you live, or have bought a business, at the bottom of the hill.

I'm always well aware I chose to live in a third world country, but I would have thought the dozen or so families running Phuket would have made enough money to now offer a better product to people and something more sustainable for future generations of their kids, and tourist and expats.

Instead, they are still into making quick and easy money, and in the process, are sending Phuket "tits up."

Thats a bizzaare choice of place to live. Are you regretting it?

Why don't you leave Phuket for high season if it makes you so unhappy? Serious question.

some of us have kids in school and other commitments here.

Yes, I know, I mentioned things like kids in school and being "committed" to Phuket through family, property and/or business. It was a small joke between me and hansgruber, but your post leads to an interesting question/poll to yourself and other Phuket expats.

That question is, if you had no commitments on Phuket, would you leave? Are decisions made previously the only thing keeping many expats here?

I don't mean to derail the thread. Actually, that question may be for a new thread.

I have business commitments on Phuket but have found a solution to still fulfil them so I got out while the going was good.I left nearly 3 months ago and I have not missed one thing about Phuket.The place has in turned into one massive corrupt shambolic mess as far as I am concerned.

I have been coming to Thailand for 32 years and have travelled all over.I have lived here for 10 years in many locations and Phuket was one of the worst.I have found a really nice place where the Thai's are still friendly and not trying to rip you for everything,which I am still getting used to.

The Thai's I talk to here don't even like Phuket.

I have had 5 mates come to stay so far looking at moving and another one turning up tomorrow.

Any clue's?

I have found a really nice place where the Thai's are still friendly and not trying to rip you for everything,which I am still getting used to.

I have had 5 mates come to stay so far looking at moving and another one turning up tomorrow.

Are you going to share where this veritable paradise is?

I am 4 hours away from Phuket,well to the bridge anyway add an extra couple of hours to get down to Rawai,3 hour to Hua Hin and 2 hour to Surat Thani and 1 klm from this beach

post-18849-0-37086500-1360322914_thumb.j

Would that be the Chumpon area?

I assume that to want to settle there that you would be a little older in years and without school-age kids? (No offence intended).

Looks nice and I am delighted that you have found somewhere that suits you but it's not an area that I could consider living. I need a little bit more in the way of facilities but good luck to you.

I have found a really nice place where the Thai's are still friendly and not trying to rip you for everything,which I am still getting used to.

Are you going to share where this veritable paradise is?

Everyone has a different version of paradise or a nice, ideal place to live. I am not sure if I could currently live where starkey is now as I am used to the amenities that Phuket provides & also don't know if I could make a living there. My company & job in Phuket requires me to be hands on most of the time plus my daughter is studying here although in a couple of years she could well be gone, her twin sister has already moved away.

I am 4 hours away from Phuket,well to the bridge anyway add an extra couple of hours to get down to Rawai,3 hour to Hua Hin and 2 hour to Surat Thani and 1 klm from this beach

post-18849-0-37086500-1360322914_thumb.j

Beach land can be had for very reasonable prices around that area.

This ad had me really considering a look as the prices seem too cheap to believe. Great for my sons future as it will have to appreciate.

http://www.bahtsold.com/view/100m-of-beach-front-land-chumphon-for-sale-125106?doqs=1

Wait till the Chinese come en masse!

They stick in tour groups, they hate the sun and don't spend money.

I'm sure they won't infiltrate bars and drink like a seaman.

Funny story from my friend.

He works for a resort here and told me the chinese buy noodle bowls at the supermarket and order boiling water to the room.

LOL! I heard the same story a couple of years ago from a friend. Is his name Ludwig? And why am I all of a sudden agreeing with most of your recent posts? Have you changed? I know I haven't ! biggrin.png

He works for a resort here and told me the chinese buy noodle bowls at the supermarket and order boiling water to the room.

LOL! I heard the same story a couple of years ago from a friend. Is his name Ludwig? And why am I all of a sudden agreeing with most of your recent posts? Have you changed? I know I haven't ! biggrin.png

Eating noodles in your hotel room is something I will never understand. When I travel, my taste buds are part of the planning. It’s cheap to eat here, why not enjoy the local cuisine? Buying your GF or wife Mama yentafo tom yum mohfia, isn’t going to get you laid.

He's been "NamKanged." :) :)

To those not living here for work/family related reasons who dislike the high season: it bugs me when you complain about the high season. Please respect that Thai families have to make a living. Why did you settle down in a touristy place like Phuket anyway, knowing it would develop further? Pack your bags and get a one way ticket to Madagascar.

This having said, glad that I live in Khao Lak, and not in Phuket, more breathing space here.

Development was expected yes, but not to that exstent underdevelop the place. Everywhere in the world people have to make a living but few Governments let their people rip the land apart doing so. So for you, wherever you settle,work,have children and pay taxes you find it ok to pack your bags and leave as soon as there is something you dont like around the corner. Well sure makes for a stable life and family.

He's been "NamKanged." smile.pngsmile.png

LOL! Still don't agree with most of your posts. Although you are coming around to a more sensible viewpoint... Even though you live in Patong. As I did, once upon a time in my life.tongue.png

A Thai friend works at a large hotel in Patong. Says the Chinese tourists bring plastic bags to the breakfast buffet to apparently provide for their lunches at the same time. Guess they think "all you can eat" means for the entire day. Or maybe their entire stay? whistling.gif

More instant "taxi' huts going up everywhere, more shouts of "taxi, tuk tuk" wherever you go and seeing all these new "legit" taxis taking up all the parking in non designanted taxi zones as there are so many vehicles now they can't all fit in their self designated areas of parking that the public can't park in.

Yes, and the void left by the hundreds of black taxi's being made legal is quickly filling up with new black taxi's.

On a positive note, quite a bit of eye candy everywhere you look.

True dat!

@ Jimi007

Which posts don't you agree with? I usually try to back up my arguments with an example, a case, or statistics. If I'm just stating my opinion, I will say, "In my opinion."

I've probably posted 100 times that I like living here, BUT, Phuket has its "issues." To discuss those issue does not mean you are a moaner, negative or a whinger.

Sure, issues are all around the world, but the issues on Phuket are only on Phuket, and just up the road in some other tourist province of Thialnad, that issue doesn't exist. I'm not talking about geographic location issues, such as rainfall etc but administrative issues Eg. no transport.

"In my opinion" Phuket is not being well managed by certain "influential people" to the detriment of tourist, and the tourism industry.

I would be surprised if you disagreed with that statement, and if you did, please tell me why you think Phuket is being well managed.

Well looking through this thread is 10 minutes of my life I won't get back.

Maybe we should change the thread title to "Phuket Whingers Club".

I guess it was expecting too much to think you may change the trend.

(I was thinking of starting an "Old Degenerates Club" so Hans and Ivan don't get accidently exposed to old people.)

@ Jimi007

Which posts don't you agree with? I usually try to back up my arguments with an example, a case, or statistics. If I'm just stating my opinion, I will say, "In my opinion."

I've probably posted 100 times that I like living here, BUT, Phuket has its "issues." To discuss those issue does not mean you are a moaner, negative or a whinger.

Sure, issues are all around the world, but the issues on Phuket are only on Phuket, and just up the road in some other tourist province of Thialnad, that issue doesn't exist. I'm not talking about geographic location issues, such as rainfall etc but administrative issues Eg. no transport.

"In my opinion" Phuket is not being well managed by certain "influential people" to the detriment of tourist, and the tourism industry.

I would be surprised if you disagreed with that statement, and if you did, please tell me why you think Phuket is being well managed.

I agree with your last statement. It is managed by the greedy for the greedy. There is an interesting article in that other local news source that we can't mention on TV about Koh Racha. It sums up the situation pretty well. And you know I have disagreed with quite a few of your past posts, or say you're beating a dead horse, but no big deal... We shall carry on as usual. Cheers!

Well looking through this thread is 10 minutes of my life I won't get back.

Maybe we should change the thread title to "Phuket Whingers Club".

Phuket whingers and the pretend to make believe clubhuh.png

Edited by Felt 35