I Hate High Season Vol. 1.

hansgruber

To those not living here for work related reasons who dislike the high season: it bugs me when you complain about the high season. Please respect that Thai families have to make a living. Why did you settle down in a touristy place like Phuket anyway, knowing it would develop further? Pack your bags and get a one way ticket to Madagascar.

This having said, glad that I live in Khao Lak, and not in Phuket, more breathing space here.

See, thats the thing. I could live in Khao lak easily and be very happy but the needs of my family keep me here. Packing the bags would be selfish on my part just because of traffic and lax enforcement.

Im not complaining at thai people making a living, its the lack of foresight by officials who subject even themselves to the deficiencies in infrastructure, which sticks out like a sore thumb this time year.

Im guessing you're in your twilight years and these issues dont greatly affect you seeing you dont live here.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More aggressive double pricing

Can you give me an example? I know the zoo gets very aggressive this time of year. Heard people getting charged 1000 baht entry.

yes, no rain. i'm so bored with this weather. please make it stop.

Yes. Garden is suffering greatly and the well is drying up.

I look forward to I Hate High Season Vol 2 in 2015 when all the fun starts. There won't be any low season and today's gonna seem like a quiet day at the park.

Pesky tourists - how dare they holiday in the expat designated areas.

We will be at Vol 6 by 2015.

I'm not against holiday makers, just the whole mess that this time of year brings.

Construction is in full swing now due to the dry weather but infrastructure can't cope.

I think NKM has rubbed off on me. Nooooooooo....

Double pricing on everything from noodles to rent hikes, every shyster has their hand out. It makes Shylock look like a saint. Im getting fed up with some things. Republik Ng Pilipinas @ Boracay island is looking good. Half the price and plenty of Pinays!

If i had no family and single, NO.

Id be driving around Europe in the summer and probably do some winters here and other asian destinations.

Life has led me here and i dont regret a thing, i make the best of what is here for me.

Would it be fair to say the single biggest reason you are on Phuket is because of the International Schools here?

I never really considered the fact that building a half decent International School would be the main attraction for expats to live in a specific geographical location in Thailand.

In relation to their fees, they are obviously a good business. In relation to the Phuket local economy, they are probably vital in attracting and retaining expats to the island.

So, if International Schools were more availble in other areas of Thailand, I gather you would leave.

Schools arent the reason i stay.

I have friends, my wife has friends and my kids have friends and we are settled into a routine where we are happy.

Its just the high season crush gets to me, i drive so defensively in high season as the road novices hog lanes and pull out in front of me without notice.

Im just frustrated much like yourself, as the island grows with development and investment, nobody is working for infrastructure for the development boom or positive change.

Just think of all the money that the island generates and nothing gets reinvested. Roads are shit, power lines litter the sky and the drainage floods and stinks.

Phuket is all take and no give. Thats what needs to change.

I've been saying that for quite a while now. None of the billions of baht that the island generates goes back into "the island." It all gets pocketed. Any upgrading or maintenance that does occur is a short term fix, not a long term solution.

Phuket seems to be stuck between being a tropical island and a tropical island city.

I've not seen one positive change to benefit anyone. Phuket Airport extensions may be the only one, and that's only so they can bring in more tourists to make more money.

Anyway, you said, "Schools aren't the reason I stay" but they must have been the reason you chose Phuket. In other words, if there were no International Schools here, you and your family would not be living here. That's the point I was trying to make.

Irish Ivan.

I know what you mean on rents but its normal when you have a high and low season.

Its places like the zoo and tuk tuks that scam during this season as they need to bank some cash for the lower months.

I guess kateesha has a point, I never lived in a tourist destination before Phuket and probably didn't factor that in when I made my choice.

If i had no family and single, NO.

Id be driving around Europe in the summer and probably do some winters here and other asian destinations.

Life has led me here and i dont regret a thing, i make the best of what is here for me.

Would it be fair to say the single biggest reason you are on Phuket is because of the International Schools here?

I never really considered the fact that building a half decent International School would be the main attraction for expats to live in a specific geographical location in Thailand.

In relation to their fees, they are obviously a good business. In relation to the Phuket local economy, they are probably vital in attracting and retaining expats to the island.

So, if International Schools were more availble in other areas of Thailand, I gather you would leave.

Schools arent the reason i stay.

I have friends, my wife has friends and my kids have friends and we are settled into a routine where we are happy.

Its just the high season crush gets to me, i drive so defensively in high season as the road novices hog lanes and pull out in front of me without notice.

Im just frustrated much like yourself, as the island grows with development and investment, nobody is working for infrastructure for the development boom or positive change.

Just think of all the money that the island generates and nothing gets reinvested. Roads are shit, power lines litter the sky and the drainage floods and stinks.

Phuket is all take and no give. Thats what needs to change.

I've been saying that for quite a while now. None of the billions of baht that the island generates goes back into "the island." It all gets pocketed. Any upgrading or maintenance that does occur is a short term fix, not a long term solution.

Phuket seems to be stuck between being a tropical island and a tropical island city.

I've not seen one positive change to benefit anyone. Phuket Airport extensions may be the only one, and that's only so they can bring in more tourists to make more money.

Anyway, you said, "Schools aren't the reason I stay" but they must have been the reason you chose Phuket. In other words, if there were no International Schools here, you and your family would not be living here. That's the point I was trying to make.

I didn't have kids when I arrived. I was with a western woman for the first 3 years in Thailand. We had businesses overseas and just lived on income and enjoyed the days in Phuket. Socializing and getting drunk basically.

Once that was done I met a Thai and we had a beautiful boy and followed by another.

I thought the schooling was sufficient enough to stay until they reach university age but sometimes that idea has me second guessing.

Schools aren't the reason I'm here. Its lifestyle that we all enjoy.

Edited by hansgruber

To those not living here for work/family related reasons who dislike the high season: it bugs me when you complain about the high season. Please respect that Thai families have to make a living. Why did you settle down in a touristy place like Phuket anyway, knowing it would develop further? Pack your bags and get a one way ticket to Madagascar.

This having said, glad that I live in Khao Lak, and not in Phuket, more breathing space here.

Well, I guess some of us thought infastructure on Phuket would "develop" at the same pace as Phuket is evolving. I guess not.

There will be all of these big, nice, newly constructed hotels - but step outside of the hotel and the drains will stink, the roads will have pot holes, the traffic will be terrible with more and more accidents, the noise and pollution worse, roads will flood yet there will be no water and/or pressure, electricity blackouts, dirty beaches and ocean, more crime, STILL no public transport, slow and disconnecting internet etc etc - and for the privilege of all of this, you get to pay top dollar compared to anywhere else in Thailand, and everywhere else in South East Asia, excluding Singapore.

However, as long at the Governor for Phuket states in the media, "We have fixed all the problems" - I will feel a lot better and continue to enjoy living here. smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

More tour buses, more tour vans, more water trucks, more inexperienced bike riders, more rental cars, more traffic, more bbq somtam samlors, more construction, less water, less parking, less stock in supermarkets, crowded beaches.

I got more but that would be nit picking.

Anything else you guys want to add what you hate about high season?

...more forum posts complaining about above points... wink.png

Yes, please tell us how many volumes you anticipate . . . whistling.gif

In regards to infrstructure, the archaic Thai system that only sends money based on legally registered citizens for each province, combined with Phuket's political opposition to Bangkok and all the tea money taken out of actual projects that did have an approved budget, and you have a receipe for infrastructure hell.

• Like 2

Why don't you leave Phuket for high season if it makes you so unhappy? Serious question.

some of us have kids in school and other commitments here.

Yes, I know, I mentioned things like kids in school and being "committed" to Phuket through family, property and/or business. It was a small joke between me and hansgruber, but your post leads to an interesting question/poll to yourself and other Phuket expats.

That question is, if you had no commitments on Phuket, would you leave? Are decisions made previously the only thing keeping many expats here?

I don't mean to derail the thread. Actually, that question may be for a new thread.

I would leave Phuket, not Thailand.

On another note and from when I lived here nearly year around except a couple of months in the spring. That time, the period from late October to Sonkran was the highlight of living in Phuket and the feeling it seems most people had from end rainseason was equal to a childs anticipation before Christmas, btw that was when you could take the fast lane on Thepkasatri with a bicycle early morning when they cleaned/sprayed the slow lane.smile.png

Nowadays I feel Phuket is a half island in High season.sad.png

I agree with much of the previous post, however I would point out that the electric black and brown outs were much worse 16 years ago, there was not ADSL internet (only dial up), no cable TV (only a big dish on the roof), no gov water line, and I could go on ....

Fair point LIK, but it seems all this new construction is being connected to the small water pipe that handled the Soi years ago but is now overloaded, and that small electric cable that handled the Soi years ago but is now overloaded, the Soi itself which was wide enough a few years ago but is now jammed with traffic, and the small sewer pipe that handled the Soi years ago but now backs up, and the small storm water drainage that handled the Soi when there was some land around but is now all concreted over and floods etc etc.

You don't go and build a 100 room hotel, for example, without it changing its immediate surrounds and the amenities that supply the area.

• Like 2

Whereas I'm glad I live in Phuket and not in Khao Lak. Many more facilities here.

My main gripe about Phuket in the high season is the speed of my golf round. Too many Asian golfers who stroll round at a snail's pace, take 10 practice swings and then don't even hit the ball out of their own shadow. Played 9 this morning and took about 3 hours.

Otherwise high season doesn't affect or bother me too much.

• Like 1

Whereas I'm glad I live in Phuket and not in Khao Lak. Many more facilities here.

My main gripe about Phuket in the high season is the speed of my golf round. Too many Asian golfers who stroll round at a snail's pace, take 10 practice swings and then don't even hit the ball out of their own shadow. Played 9 this morning and took about 3 hours.

I agree on the golf. Its the Asians who break the 4 ball group rule and play in groups of 6 or more. They gamble and lob their cigarette butts anywhere.

More tour buses, more tour vans, more water trucks, more inexperienced bike riders, more rental cars, more traffic, more bbq somtam samlors, more construction, less water, less parking, less stock in supermarkets, crowded beaches.

Complaining isn't unique to high season but the attempted humor is noted. Good show.

I live here all year round for over 10 years, although all the things you say Mr H are correct to me it all comes down to the Thai infrastructure, ie if the roads where better managed and maintained, the traffic would flow better, if the thai main water had been set up right, no water trucks needed, if motor bike and car renter were regulated, tourists would think twice about renting, again if construction was regulated and proper consideration taken by the Thai authorities, most builds would not have been given the green light to start, stock on shelf's is normally a thai management stock control issue, same for these BBQ sellers, tighter regulation would mean at least the cart is not falling to bits and a complete accident waiting to happen, tourism should be embraced, but the Thai government don't realize you have to speculate to accumulate, Patong at the minute is slowly grinding to a halt, traffic, roads, drainage, water, electric, construction, are all playing a part in gaining a not so good image by tourists. again i don't think it's the average tourist fault, but the whole Thai ignorance, corruption and on the surface stupidity. coffee1.gif
  • Like 2

Why don't you leave Phuket for high season if it makes you so unhappy? Serious question.

Yes, I know, I mentioned things like kids in school and being "committed" to Phuket through family, property and/or business. It was a small joke between me and hansgruber, but your post leads to an interesting question/poll to yourself and other Phuket expats.

That question is, if you had no commitments on Phuket, would you leave? Are decisions made previously the only thing keeping many expats here?

I don't mean to derail the thread. Actually, that question may be for a new thread.

I would leave Phuket, not Thailand.

On another note and from when I lived here nearly year around except a couple of months in the spring. That time, the period from late October to Sonkran was the highlight of living in Phuket and the feeling it seems most people had from end rainseason was equal to a childs anticipation before Christmas, btw that was when you could take the fast lane on Thepkasatri with a bicycle early morning when they cleaned/sprayed the slow lane.smile.png

Nowadays I feel Phuket is a half island in High season.sad.png

Well, it's interesting that a few members say they are only on Phuket for various committments, but not necessarily by their own choice.

I'm here purely by my own choice. I have no personal or financial commitments on Phuket. I can leave anytime.

I'm not as old as some on TV, but I had been holidaying here since I was young and recently started living here full time, minus some visa runs. I've seen many changes. It seems Phuket will become a concrete city one day, as opposed to the tropical island it once was.

For me, seeing more and more Rai of jungle disappearing, especially on hills with views, is quite sad. All the things I liked about the island years ago are diminishing.

more tourists more money for my business smile.png

That's exactly what the TAT think, and that would be true of the past, however, many western tourists have moved on from Phuket and the tourist numbers are being propped up by Russians, Indians and Chinese package holiday makers - hardly big spenders and big on the party scene.

Making money in the hospitality and services industries will get harder here.

Complaining isn't unique to high season but the attempted humor is noted. Good show.

I live here all year round for over 10 years, although all the things you say Mr H are correct to me it all comes down to the Thai infrastructure, ie if the roads where better managed and maintained, the traffic would flow better, if the thai main water had been set up right, no water trucks needed, if motor bike and car renter were regulated, tourists would think twice about renting, again if construction was regulated and proper consideration taken by the Thai authorities, most builds would not have been given the green light to start, stock on shelf's is normally a thai management stock control issue, same for these BBQ sellers, tighter regulation would mean at least the cart is not falling to bits and a complete accident waiting to happen, tourism should be embraced, but the Thai government don't realize you have to speculate to accumulate, Patong at the minute is slowly grinding to a halt, traffic, roads, drainage, water, electric, construction, are all playing a part in gaining a not so good image by tourists. again i don't think it's the average tourist fault, but the whole Thai ignorance, corruption and on the surface stupidity. coffee1.gif

Good post britpop.

I agree. The Thai officials think people will keep coming to Phuket forever, just because it's Phuket.

Nothing new implemented for the good of anyone here. They spend no money on proper upgrades to infastructure. The same old scams are still bringing in the same old complaints.

They just keep on with what they know has served them well in the 80's and 90's but people expect more of a "world class tourist destination."

Speaking of high season - and I'm probably close to going off topic myself here - but how busy is it going to be between Phuket airport and Phuket Town on Sunday and Monday (with Chinese New Year)?

I have to make several flights between Phuket and Bangkok in 2 days, and wondering how much time I need to allow to get around the island.

cheers

SVB

I'd say 45 mins if you factor in traffic.

I'd say 90 - if te was a n accidet.

The trick about driving in Phuket is never be in a hurry. Leave more time for the trip than you think you could possibly need. Then you might arrive on time. smile.png

hmmmm I used to frequent Pooket a lot more up until 8-10 years ago then it just became too "vanilla" and started to fill with feckless wining pretend expats that always appear about about places once all the "comforts of life" are installed and they proceed to have a whinge every 5 minutes about inane subjects like tourists in a tourist based economy. These days I confine my visits to 2 or 3 short week long trips a year just to check on the apartments I have kept there as investments. Always try and come in the "high seasons" if I can as the the only decent thing about the Island these days is the high seasons with the assorted freaks and functions that flood into the place and then move on to the next party place when the weather turns to <deleted> and all the fun people leave. rest of the time is just another average everyday overdeveloped tropical island. Every visit it becomes more and more like Bali, which gives me more and more reason to make my visits less and less frequent.

• Like 2

I agree with much of the previous post, however I would point out that the electric black and brown outs were much worse 16 years ago, there was not ADSL internet (only dial up), no cable TV (only a big dish on the roof), no gov water line, and I could go on ....

Fair point LIK, but it seems all this new construction is being connected to the small water pipe that handled the Soi years ago but is now overloaded, and that small electric cable that handled the Soi years ago but is now overloaded, the Soi itself which was wide enough a few years ago but is now jammed with traffic, and the small sewer pipe that handled the Soi years ago but now backs up, and the small storm water drainage that handled the Soi when there was some land around but is now all concreted over and floods etc etc.

You don't go and build a 100 room hotel, for example, without it changing its immediate surrounds and the amenities that supply the area.

Sorry for delay in replying NKM - some of us have to work here in paradise biggrin.png

I don't know what 'soi' you are talking about, but let's talk about Nanai Road (a place that I know a lot about).

Years ago the electric lines terminated near the south end of the road, now the lines are connected in a ring from north to south. That helps a lot with power outages.

Traffic, yes I agree, nightmare.

I've never ever noticed any problem with sewer pipes, never known it to 'back up'. Fact of the matter is that there is no sewage pipe on Nanai.

Storm water drains - now that's an area that has been considerably improved with many concrete drainage channels constructed, they even took care of the famous 'Nanai Lake'.

I think that is golf anywhere. It’s usually the ones with the brand new and most expensive Ping set, with a driver the size of your head. Ping shirt, Ping pants, Ping hat, Ping shoes, Ping belt, Ping underwear, and an oversize Ping bag that they can’t carry. T-up a brand new Ping ball. Take 12 practice swings. Line up, take a full swing, and put it in the nearest water hazard. Repeat.

One word, Koreans.

• Like 1

Sorry for delay in replying NKM - some of us have to work here in paradise biggrin.png

I don't know what 'soi' you are talking about, but let's talk about Nanai Road (a place that I know a lot about).

Years ago the electric lines terminated near the south end of the road, now the lines are connected in a ring from north to south. That helps a lot with power outages.

Traffic, yes I agree, nightmare.

I've never ever noticed any problem with sewer pipes, never known it to 'back up'. Fact of the matter is that there is no sewage pipe on Nanai.

Storm water drains - now that's an area that has been considerably improved with many concrete drainage channels constructed, they even took care of the famous 'Nanai Lake'.

You can't say that the new hotel (all seasons?) On the hill and the other huge condo project on nanai won't stretch those facilities even further.

The dirt from the condo site has turned nanai into a complete dustbowl.

Wait till the Chinese come en masse!

They stick in tour groups, they hate the sun and don't spend money.

I'm sure they won't infiltrate bars and drink like a seaman.

Funny story from my friend.

He works for a resort here and told me the chinese buy noodle bowls at the supermarket and order boiling water to the room.

I have business commitments on Phuket but have found a solution to still fulfil them so I got out while the going was good.I left nearly 3 months ago and I have not missed one thing about Phuket.The place has in turned into one massive corrupt shambolic mess as far as I am concerned.

I have been coming to Thailand for 32 years and have travelled all over.I have lived here for 10 years in many locations and Phuket was one of the worst.I have found a really nice place where the Thai's are still friendly and not trying to rip you for everything,which I am still getting used to.

The Thai's I talk to here don't even like Phuket.

I have had 5 mates come to stay so far looking at moving and another one turning up tomorrow.