I Hate High Season Vol. 1.

hansgruber

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Shouldn't be. The nuclear reactors aren't due online for a while yet. smile.png

I love snow skiing! But hate shoveling it!

Me too. I was working as ski patrol, so did a fair bit of both.

It seems we have a few things in common! I was a ski racer and instructor in my youth and sometimes shoveled snow for lift passes way back when. I had a season pass at Heavenly Tahoe until a few years ago, when Chikungunya kicked my ass! Maybe next season! Something about beaches and mountains, they get in your blood and your toes.

These folks have something to whine about: 532004_10100283622170957_2008846479_n.jpg

These do not: 547849_10151307125297572_1719119448_n.jpg

Both pictures taken today.

Where would YOU rather live?

Agreed - would much rather be in the sun.

I often wonder what the Thai girlfriends/wives that move to Europe, or The States, think about the climate.

Apart from never seeing snow in their lives, they have probably never experienced an average daily temperature below 28 degrees celcius. Then, suddenly, they fly into a different country with their new boyfriend and it's -10 degrees celcius.

NamKangMan said: "I often wonder what the Thai girlfriends/wives that move to Europe, or The States, think about the climate.

Apart from never seeing snow in their lives, they have probably never experienced an average daily temperature below 28 degrees celcius. Then, suddenly, they fly into a different country with their new boyfriend and it's -10 degrees celcius."

I took my Thai girlfriend skiing in Austria a few years back. First time she'd experienced temperatures below about 25 Celsius. And, obviously, first time she'd experienced snow. She seemed to love the cold temperatures (always below zero degrees celsius); said it gave her more energy. Of course, she was kitted out in proper clothes.

I'm not too sure, however, how she'd cope if she had to live permanently in such a climate.

I must say: Her enjoyment of the cold does not concur with reports from my friends' Thai girlfriends who've been to Europe in winter.

NamKangMan said: "I often wonder what the Thai girlfriends/wives that move to Europe, or The States, think about the climate.

Apart from never seeing snow in their lives, they have probably never experienced an average daily temperature below 28 degrees celcius. Then, suddenly, they fly into a different country with their new boyfriend and it's -10 degrees celcius."

I took my Thai girlfriend skiing in Austria a few years back. First time she'd experienced temperatures below about 25 Celsius. And, obviously, first time she'd experienced snow. She seemed to love the cold temperatures (always below zero degrees celsius); said it gave her more energy. Of course, she was kitted out in proper clothes.

I'm not too sure, however, how she'd cope if she had to live permanently in such a climate.

I must say: Her enjoyment of the cold does not concur with reports from my friends' Thai girlfriends who've been to Europe in winter.

Yes, not only would there be a "culture shock" but also a "climate shock" for them. smile.pngsmile.png

I'm sure the snow and cold climate would be fun for them for a while, but when the novelty wears off, I'm not too sure they would be happy with where their new farang lives. :) :)

Edited by NamKangMan

Well looking through this thread is 10 minutes of my life I won't get back.

Maybe we should change the thread title to "Phuket Whingers Club".

You can be the honorable first member of the club. You've earned it.

Would never join a club that would have me as a member.

Continue on with your whinging, I'm headed for a nice day on the beach.

• Like 1

I beat you to it. Ao Sane is beautiful today.

Try not to get hit in the head with an anchor. :) :)

• Like 1

^ Shouldn't be. The nuclear reactors aren't due online for a while yet. smile.png

I love snow skiing! But hate shoveling it!

Me too. I was working as ski patrol, so did a fair bit of both.

It seems we have a few things in common! I was a ski racer and instructor in my youth and sometimes shoveled snow for lift passes way back when. I had a season pass at Heavenly Tahoe until a few years ago, when Chikungunya kicked my ass! Maybe next season! Something about beaches and mountains, they get in your blood and your toes.

I was a ski jumper until at twelve years of age, I noticed all the girls were on the slalom hill. That's when I became a Jr. Ski Patrol member.post-49171-0-49795200-1360477076_thumb.jpost-49171-0-41059200-1360477186_thumb.jpost-49171-0-25960000-1360477162_thumb.jpost-49171-0-60436900-1360477321_thumb.j

High season is not that bad when you avoid the patong/karon/kata zone.

There's a bit more traffic on the roads, my favorites restaurants are busier, and nai harn beach has 4 rows of chairs instead of two, but that's about it...

<snip>

I remember when there weren't any . smile.png

(And I mean before Boxing Day, 2004. ph34r.png)

High season is not that bad when you avoid the patong/karon/kata zone.

There's a bit more traffic on the roads, my favorites restaurants are busier, and nai harn beach has 4 rows of chairs instead of two, but that's about it...

<snip>

I remember when there weren't any . smile.png

(And I mean before Boxing Day, 2004. ph34r.png)

Before the land and money grab started...

More instant "taxi' huts going up everywhere, more shouts of "taxi, tuk tuk" wherever you go and seeing all these new "legit" taxis taking up all the parking in non designanted taxi zones as there are so many vehicles now they can't all fit in their self designated areas of parking that the public can't park in.

On a positive note, quite a bit of eye candy everywhere you look.

I saw that in a few areas, the yellow tuk tuk parking space lines have been appearing everywhere and Kata and Karon have a hut on about every corner.

I feel for those business owners who have them loitering out front or even in their businesses whilst aggressively spruiking customers with TUK TUK loudly.

Its like they are pre wired or automated to just say tuk tuk to anyone who isn't Thai.

I laugh when I'm walking in the opposite direction on a one way street and they still ask if I want a tuk tuk that would obviously take me in the wrong direction.

Tuk tuks can turn around, but yes, your'e right, the drivers are so stupid that they don't realise that if anyone wants their tuk tuk they will walk towards it.

More instant "taxi' huts going up everywhere, more shouts of "taxi, tuk tuk" wherever you go and seeing all these new "legit" taxis taking up all the parking in non designanted taxi zones as there are so many vehicles now they can't all fit in their self designated areas of parking that the public can't park in.

On a positive note, quite a bit of eye candy everywhere you look.

I saw that in a few areas, the yellow tuk tuk parking space lines have been appearing everywhere and Kata and Karon have a hut on about every corner.

I feel for those business owners who have them loitering out front or even in their businesses whilst aggressively spruiking customers with TUK TUK loudly.

Its like they are pre wired or automated to just say tuk tuk to anyone who isn't Thai.

I laugh when I'm walking in the opposite direction on a one way street and they still ask if I want a tuk tuk that would obviously take me in the wrong direction.

Tuk tuks can turn around, but yes, your'e right, the drivers are so stupid that they don't realise that if anyone wants their tuk tuk they will walk towards it.

and before anyone says anything, TIT tuk tuks, motorbikes and even cars don't know there are actually one way streets in Thailand.

NKM.

I am uncertain. Krabi is nice and been looking up that way but lacks schools and conveniences that Phuket offers.

Ao por seems like a good balance for now and closer to school.

I only plan year by year and don't really look that far ahead but if it deteriorates badly by 2015, I can easily just pack my stuff and go.

My needs aren't really important but my kids needs are.

At least you are looking at a "Plan B." Many here think Phuket is heaven, and always will be heaven. Ask them where else they have been in Thailand and they say, "Nowhere else." They have nothing to compare Phuket to, therefore, have no idea what's on the other side of the fence. In my opinion, Phuket is changing, rapidly. I already have a short list of "Plan B's." Only time will tell if I am here in 2015.

So, looks like the question I asked to Steveeeee is relevent to yourself as well.

If you had no committments on Phuket Eg. family, property, business etc - would you even still be here right now?

What's going to happen in 2015?

and before anyone says anything, TIT tuk tuks, motorbikes and even cars don't know there are actually one way streets in Thailand.
Never seen a Tuk Tuk or another real car driving against the one way, at Patong's Beach road.And out of the complaining, it sounds like, 'the Tuk Tuk's' knowing it giggle.gif Edited by noob7

NKM.

I am uncertain. Krabi is nice and been looking up that way but lacks schools and conveniences that Phuket offers.

I only plan year by year and don't really look that far ahead but if it deteriorates badly by 2015, I can easily just pack my stuff and go.

At least you are looking at a "Plan B." Many here think Phuket is heaven, and always will be heaven. Ask them where else they have been in Thailand and they say, "Nowhere else." They have nothing to compare Phuket to, therefore, have no idea what's on the other side of the fence. In my opinion, Phuket is changing, rapidly. I already have a short list of "Plan B's." Only time will tell if I am here in 2015.

So, looks like the question I asked to Steveeeee is relevent to yourself as well.

If you had no committments on Phuket Eg. family, property, business etc - would you even still be here right now?

ASEAN starts.

Why do you people listen to Hansgruber?

He complains about living in Phuket on 100,000 baht a month (depending on whether his wife orders wine at lunch).

Phuket can be as enjoyable and affordable in the high season and the low season if you budget properly and are willing to, sometimes, live like the locals.

Let's say you decided to re-locate to Tuscany. Wouldn't you try to live and eat like the locals there?

Anyone who can't do that in Phuket on a modest budget is trying to live an illusionary life of an ex-pat millionaire. Get real, get local, and learn some Thai.

• Like 1

Why do you people listen to Hansgruber?

He complains about living in Phuket on 100,000 baht a month (depending on whether his wife orders wine at lunch).

Phuket can be as enjoyable and affordable in the high season and the low season if you budget properly and are willing to, sometimes, live like the locals.

Let's say you decided to re-locate to Tuscany. Wouldn't you try to live and eat like the locals there?

Anyone who can't do that in Phuket on a modest budget is trying to live an illusionary life of an ex-pat millionaire. Get real, get local, and learn some Thai.

100,000 a month would only just about cover the school fees for his kids. Perhaps you need to get real and realise that other people have commitments that may mean their costs are considerably higher than yours.

If you are happy living on much less, then good for you but it doesn't mean everyone can do the same.

NKM.

ASEAN starts.

To be more specific ASEAN has been around for a long time. In 2015 AEC, ASEAN Economic Community, is supposed to come into effect transforming ASEAN into a single market & production base, but I for one will be extremely shocked if Thailand is ready by that time.

Nice to see a long discussion thread with good comments and not too much slagging. I like high season for one reason - I make more money in high season as I work in a tourism related business. Traffic ... yes, the tourist traffic is greater in high season, but this year is an oddity anyway with thousands of new cars on the road due to the governments "first car" scheme. I drive Kathu - Karon - Kathu every day, 40km total and just try to keep calm. I like Phuket year round, and have seen a lot of Thailand, and do have a "plan B" but like others have said - my plan B location is lacking in schooling, and don't forget that in Phuket you can get just about anything you want. Plus really, if you keep off the main tourist beaches and main roads, it's a lovely place and an easy drive to Phang Nga, Krabi, Khao Lak, Khao Sok and more. We might consider moving away, but certainly not yet.... Anyone mention Russians yet?

Leave !

We did that years ago !

I was there when there was trees in Bangla road and parking !

No traffic lights !

A tuk tuk cost 20 baht inside town, as it Pattya !

Now we live in other par of THailand, enjoying the life !

Can park our cars, can walk around, can take a meter taxi and get charged by meter etc.

Leave !

We did that years ago !

I was there when there was trees in Bangla road and parking !

No traffic lights !

A tuk tuk cost 20 baht inside town, as it Pattya !

Now we live in other par of THailand, enjoying the life !

Can park our cars, can walk around, can take a meter taxi and get charged by meter etc.

One can only but image the enormous benefit, overnight, an affordable public transport system would be to Phuket.

Less traffic, less accidents, safer roads, better condition of roads - due to less use, greater decentralisation of living, less pressure on critcal infastucture near the beach areas, more parking spaces, less bad publicity from assaults by drivers, a more satisfied tourist at the end of their holiday, less pollution - noise and air, a more affordable holiday, more freedom of movement around the isalnd, tourist money spread more evenly over the island etc etc etc etc etc.

Anyway, where did you move to?

One can only but image the enormous benefit, overnight, an affordable public transport system would be to Phuket.

Less traffic, less accidents, safer roads, better condition of roads - due to less use, greater decentralisation of living, less pressure on critcal infastucture near the beach areas, more parking spaces, less bad publicity from assaults by drivers, a more satisfied tourist at the end of their holiday, less pollution - noise and air, a more affordable holiday, more freedom of movement around the isalnd, tourist money spread more evenly over the island etc etc etc etc etc.

Dream on.

You really think Thais will give up the cars that they already have, which they consider status symbols and ride on buses? Not a chance.

The introduction of a public transport system may slow down the ever increasing number of cars on the road and that is being optimistic.

The lack of parking spaces will continue.

The assault of tourists by tuk-tuk drivers will continue.

There will be no change to the pressure on infrastructure.

There will be no decrease in air pollution.

The only point that you have made that I agree with is that tourists will be happier.

You really think Thais will give up the cars that they already have, which they consider status symbols and ride on buses? Not a chance.

Lots of Thais starting to use the Status at day offs/weekend, to show off in central or elsewhere. Rest of the week, car parked in front of the entrance door and get washed in the evening.

For other days, still the motorcy will do. Also they can't find a parking space, around there working area. And the gasoline to go to work, and come back, is 3-4 times more, than with the motorcycle. What means, Phuket town - Patong will cost them half of the salary, they get. Without service charge and tips, it wouldn't even be enough, to pay the monthly installment.

I love high season, because all the dumb folk go to Phuket, leaving everywhere else a nicer place!

Anyway, if you don't like it, what are you doing there. Go somewhere else. Oh sorry, I forgot that you're probably one of the many that continually complain about where they live, but refuse to leave. The world's a very big place. No need to stay some place that you don't like. 555.