Good Police

h90

After all the bad Police stories.

Today the police drove our soi and gave everyone a sheet of paper and the vice boss of the police station explained.

There is a gang of "White Muslims" that brake into houses. We should lock everything, pay attention etc etc.

I don't know what "White Muslims" are.....But still nice to warn everyone and have a friendly chat.

That is very good to hear. h90. Did they also promise your soy will be patrolled more intensively?

the last 2-3 days I saw them at least 4 times, slowly patrolling with the police pickup and the colored light on the top (don't know the english word) turned on.

But the last house villa in the soi is owned by some high ranking policeman. So the question would be if they also patrol the other sois...

I wonder if it the letter actually said khaek-khaow, a common epithet for the lighter skinned variety of those people who tend to be from Islamic, Hindu or Sikh cultures.

Many Persians, Georgians, Armenians, Turks and Greeks et al are commonly labelled as khaek-khaow whilst the swarthier ones are just khaek.

Khaek means 'guest'. Most people think that they are called such because the first major contact with foreigners that Siam had was with Persian traders.

Edited by Trembly

I wonder if it the letter actually said khaek-khaow, a common epithet for the lighter skinned variety of those people who tend to be from Islamic, Hindu or Sikh cultures.

Many Persians, Georgians, Armenians, Turks and Greeks et al are commonly labelled as khaek-khaow whilst the swarthier ones are just khaek.

Khaek means 'guest'. Most people think that they are called such because the first major contact with foreigners that Siam had was with Persian traders.

yes it is khaek-khaow......

The term KHEK_KHAW is generally used for westerners who have lighter skin with ASIAN looks , regardless of religion, the gangs arrested in past 4-5 years were ,ostly from South-American countries.

The term KHEK_KHAW is generally used for westerners who have lighter skin with ASIAN looks , regardless of religion, the gangs arrested in past 4-5 years were ,ostly from South-American countries.

So the Muslim thing was just a wrong interpretation, right? It could be also lighter skin Catholic....

I already wondered how they could know the religion, if they didn't catch them, yet......

• Like 1

Who a Thai refers to as khaek-khaow is subject to the Thai's assumptions based on appearance and the Thai's experience and education.

Edited by Trembly

Who a Thai refers to as khaek-khaow is subject to the Thai's assumptions based on appearance and the Thai's experience and education.

"and the Thai's experience and education."

understand.......

• Like 1

So the Muslim thing was just a wrong interpretation, right? It could be also lighter skin Catholic....

I already wondered how they could know the religion, if they didn't catch them, yet......

Maybe they had long beards? unsure.png

Khaek doesn't necessarily mean muslim. People who might fit the description of khaek tend to originate from as far east as Bangladesh, as far west as Morocco, as far north as the Caucasus and as far south as Sudan. The vast majority of people who fit into this grouping follow either the Muslim or Hindu religions.

It shouldn't take much realise that there are other people around the world that could be mistaken for khaek too (depending on the education and / or experience of the person categorizing them) such as some Italians, Greeks, South American mestizos, loog-kruengs, Balkan Europeans, Jews . . .

Indonesians, Malays and some southern Thais have been referred to as khaek but to be fair some of them do look quite swarthy as they've had far more contact with Indian, Persian, Arab and European traders over the past 500 years than Thailand has.

Edited by Trembly