Ed-Visa And Starting A New Course?

Im learning Thai language now. After I finish with my first year with beginner Thai, and If I want to start a new year for the next level of courses Intermediate.

What do I have to do? And where do I have to go?

For example, can I go to the immigration office with the school's paper work for the new course, Or do I have to leave the country and apply at a Thai embassy like I did to get my original Ed-visa sticker?

I guess Im wondering if my original Ed-visa sticker is good for additional year to study? As long as I do my 90 day extensions.

We are in the same situation: finishing our one year course and our school (in Hua Hin) said that we do not have to leave the country.

So this is fine, but does somebody know what happens when moving to another town (from Hua Hin to Bangkok) about the 90 days report:

We have reported to Hua Hin Immigration (90 days report) and are now moving to Bangkok.

Next 90 days report in April (new school starts end of April).

Do we have to advise Hua Hin Immigration in April or can we directly go to Bangkok Immigration in April?

I know that the offficer manager in our building in Bangkok had to report our names to Immigration BKK.

Many Thanks for your help (not sure if I should start a new thread, Thank you).

If you are on an extension of stay of an ED-visa and stop studying you need to leave the country.

Thank you Mario2008

We have a one year (12 months) ED Visa (Immigration Hua Hin). Our new school in Bangkok told us that we do not have to leave the country. Do we have to tell Immigration in HUa Hin that we leave for BKK? And can we go for our 90 days adress notofication directly to BKK immigration next time (a few week before we renew our ED Visa in BKK)?

Many Thanks

You do not obtain a one year ED visa from immigration so that can not be what you have. What is your current permitted to stay until date and when was it obtained? Expect you have an extension of stay for 90 days, six months or one year. When the reason for that extension ends that extension must be canceled immediately.

As for my original question I found out I do not have to leave the country to start a new 1yr course.

I had a meeting with my school and asked them what needs to be done. They answered: One month before my year is up go to them and let them know that I want to study for a new year. That way they can start the paper work for the Ministry of Education. At the end of my course I will have to take a test with the school. Once I do that the school will set up a appointment with MOE, and send someone from the school with me to go to MOE's office for a interview to see If Im ready for the next level of classes. After all that it will be the immigration office to do my 90 day extensions.

To the other persons question with changing locations with school.... I would sit down with the school and ask them what they can do for you and what paper work they can help you with... The Ministry of Education handles all the approvals and accepts a person to learn or not... The immigration office is the one who just gives you your 90 day extensions.... And also you have to go to them to give your address of were you live.... My guess is you will have to go to immigration and fill out a new residency form with your new address. on your next 90 day visit??? Other then that the school should be responsible for helping you with any changes with the ministry of education. lucky it is the same school just different location. I think if you ask them they can handle it with a letter to MOE with the school's stamp.... Or at least send you with papers.

• Like 1

As for my original question I found out I do not have to leave the country to start a new 1yr course.

I had a meeting with my school and asked them what needs to be done. They answered: One month before my year is up go to them and let them know that I want to study for a new year. That way they can start the paper work for the Ministry of Education. At the end of my course I will have to take a test with the school. Once I do that the school will set up a appointment with MOE, and send someone from the school with me to go to MOE's office for a interview to see If Im ready for the next level of classes. After all that it will be the immigration office to do my 90 day extensions.

To the other persons question with changing locations with school.... I would sit down with the school and ask them what they can do for you and what paper work they can help you with... The Ministry of Education handles all the approvals and accepts a person to learn or not... The immigration office is the one who just gives you your 90 day extensions.... And also you have to go to them to give your address of were you live.... My guess is you will have to go to immigration and fill out a new residency form with your new address. on your next 90 day visit??? Other then that the school should be responsible for helping you with any changes with the ministry of education. lucky it is the same school just different location. I think if you ask them they can handle it with a letter to MOE with the school's stamp.... Or at least send you with papers.

Keithet, thank you, yes we will talk to our new school.

You do not obtain a one year ED visa from immigration so that can not be what you have. What is your current permitted to stay until date and when was it obtained? Expect you have an extension of stay for 90 days, six months or one year. When the reason for that extension ends that extension must be canceled immediately.

Thank you lopburi3,

Yes, you are right, we have an extension of stay, please see the attached copy of my passport (the extension is until end of May - correct?). The 90 days report due on 5th of May.

We will start the new school mid - or end of May (sorry not end of April). Do we need to go for the 90 days report on 5th of May to BKK (but the school paper may be not ready by then)? Do we have to have the new school then maybe start beginning of May?

Many Thanks for your great help.

PS: I can not attach my passport copies...

Is this really the same school and just change of location? That might allow you to continue but extensions are specific to an immigration office so rather doubtful. It sounds as if new paperwork for a new school is being prepared so that would mean you previous extension of stay has ended if you no longer study there and have moved. Not sure immigration will allow continuation without a new visa entry but if school is says they will it may be. Yes you do need to make 90 day address report if you do not leave/'return on a re-entry permit and stay 90 days. Normally Bangkok is not fussy about address so it may not be an issue.

Believe new posters can not attach for first 5 or so posts to prevent spam - you may be able to do now or soon.

• Like 1

Thank you lopburi3

Yes, we change the school and the city (different school and different immigration office).

Attached the copies. We will check everything with the new school to have everything correctly set up.

post-134266-0-76677400-1360731261_thumb.

Edited by Prince17

Sorry for all the typos on my last reply - have a habit of typing the wrong words often but normally catch on a proof read - obviously forgot to do so above. I am not sure you will be able to extend without a new entry visa and in worst case a large overstay fee. I would make very sure with school they understand you were on an extension that you may no longer legally hold. If you had a real 90 day visa entry it would not be a concern but you have an extension for a specific school/study which seems to have ended.

Dear lopburi3, many Thanks again.

Yes, we will make sure that set up everything correctly.

The old school will confirm in a letter that we finish our one year course in May 2013 with them.

This are papers that the new (other) school needs.

And we also have a 90 day Visa entry (see attached) from the embassy in Switzerland (our home country).

Is this what you call "a real 90 day visa entry"?

So everything should work, hopefully.

post-134266-0-23770400-1360734626_thumb.

That is the visa (now expired for some time) you used to enter the country and since then you have gotten an extension of the 90 day entry you got from that visa.

He was referring your post calling your extension of stay a visa.

When you wrote you had a one year ED visa which would imply you possibly had a multiple entry visa valid for one year.

Is this really the same school and just change of location? That might allow you to continue but extensions are specific to an immigration office so rather doubtful. It sounds as if new paperwork for a new school is being prepared so that would mean you previous extension of stay has ended if you no longer study there and have moved. Not sure immigration will allow continuation without a new visa entry but if school is says they will it may be. Yes you do need to make 90 day address report if you do not leave/'return on a re-entry permit and stay 90 days. Normally Bangkok is not fussy about address so it may not be an issue.

Believe new posters can not attach for first 5 or so posts to prevent spam - you may be able to do now or soon.

I was wondering with what you said in your coment:

"It sounds as if new paperwork for a new school is being prepared so that would mean you previous extension of stay has ended if you no longer study there and have moved. Not sure immigration will allow continuation without a new visa entry"

If someone wanted to change to a new school because they dont like the way the school teaches, and found a new school. Would they have to leave the country and start the whole process over again?

Example: Pay for the classes so the school can start new paper work for the Ministry of Education. Once that is approved and you get the packet of papers. Do you have to leave to see a Thai embassy in another country and wait for a new sticker to be put in the passport, And then re-enter the country?

Or can it all be done here in Thailand with the new school?

An extension of stay ends that day the reason for that extension ends is what I mean. He has since said study is not actually ending until he makes the new application so this may be enough but immigration has been having those obtaining extensions for the last year or so sign additional paperwork that they understand the loss of extension if reason ends.