Carrefour?

Dirk_brijs

Is it just me or is the starting succes of Carrefour catching up with them.

The last few months I have been noticing a downfall of quality in Carrefour. I must even say for most things i need i start going back to Lotus at Pattaya Nua. The bakery if they allready have something in the shelves is lately of a very, very poor quality (their french bread used to be a outright 10 nowedays merely makes a 2 for me) Their Fresh(???) vegetables seem to be getting worse and worse everytime i get there with old stock (realy old stock) placed on top of fresh ones??

It seems to be happening more and more often that shelves are not getting refilled. Also in the beginning they had like all cash registers open nowedays not even half anymore???

Then about there foodcourts this being a European company doesnt seem to be taking it to highly with hygiene standards in their foodcourt as it looks to become the number one party zone of cockeroaches lately.

Anyway dont want to be to harsh on them as they still seem to be having a big amount of costumors but i have a slight impression those numbers have been dropping too so I guess other people have noticed the same things I did or is it just me seeing things again????

Just checked with the boss, who I have to say is one of the most picky shoppers of fresh food I have ever come across. She says, Carefour in Patataya is no different to the ones in BKK and they do have some of the best fresh veg and fruit, but you have to look for it, as it's all mixed in with older stuff. She says all the stores are the same (Tescos etc) and you just have to rummage around until you get the fresh stuff. If she can't find anything fresh, she doesn't buy. I can verify that, having stood for ages while she locates the fresh ones. She also buys a lot in our local market and at Na Klua market.

I think its all part of living in Thailand - there'll never be the same controls on food and hygene that they are back home, and the Carefours and Tescos of this world take advantage of it. TIT :o

My big problem with Carrefour are the check outs they have to be the slowest in Pattaya...........why they bother putting bar codes on anything escapes me they end up punching the bar code numbers in anyway as the lasers dont read half of them.

Carefour in Patataya is no different to the ones in BKK and they do have some of the best fresh veg and fruit, but you have to look for it, as it's all mixed in with older stuff.

I'd agree with that... you've got to check the "use-by" dates... but I must admit I've been surprised at the volume of French labeled products that are now adorning the shelves... :D

Just how many Pattaya residents (both khon Thai and farang) can read French? There's no translations on the labels... :o

Carrefour Pattaya do have a massive undercover parking area... which IMHO is their biggest drawcard... but as for sales... if they're going to flood the market with French labelled goods, then I think they've lost the plot.

Car Parking and car traffic flow at carrefour, are crap :D must be real zombies who did design the infrastructure. Yeah me too kissed a pillar with my car :o

As far as food labels, both customs department as well as thai FDA want thai labels, so the question is did those produts drop of the car before approval... ? :D

At the pizza joint in the foodcourt you see cockroaches all over :D and the cash registers in the super market are terrible. !

French efficiency at work. :D

Peter

the cockroaches are for the Pizza Isaan Style.

Anyway the pizzas and the other "fastfood" is not eatable for anyone who has at least little needs of quality......

I remember a "fresh" baguette (hope spelled right), which you can hand out to the police to knock down people at the ralley against Toxin, but you can not eat it (or they got sponsored from a Dentist??).

Usually I buy at Best Food (naklua road, or friendship supermarket), the german bread and german sausage comes from german companies so it is original.

Forget the hugh supermarket chains no matter if they are french or american or whatever. The use the cheapest staff without any knowlege (I remember the wine promotion ladies, they know the difference between white and red and can describe the wine as "aroy maag" because they never drank wine in their life....

Car Parking and car traffic flow at carrefour, are crap :D must be real zombies who did design the infrastructure. Yeah me too kissed a pillar with my car :o

As far as food labels, both customs department as well as thai FDA want thai labels, so the question is did those produts drop of the car before approval... ? :D

At the pizza joint in the foodcourt you see cockroaches all over :D and the cash registers in the super market are terrible. !

French efficiency at work. :D

Peter

Cant say I shop much in Carrefour these days - parking is a pain, so I just get what I need in Foodland and let some guy push the trolley to my car and load up while I look on.

Having said that, I understand they changed the store GM recently - its another French guy - no doubt due to the first one's inability to get things done in a Thai manner. Publicly accusing the mayor of inefficiency (related to the traffic lights on Pattaya Klang) was hardly going to work and surprise surprise, there has been no change there in the management or otherwise of traffic flow and the lights serve no purpose whatsoever.

Cant say I shop much in Carrefour these days - parking is a pain, so I just get what I need in Foodland and let some guy push the trolley to my car and load up while I look on.

Having said that, I understand they changed the store GM recently - its another French guy - no doubt due to the first one's inability to get things done in a Thai manner. Publicly accusing the mayor of inefficiency (related to the traffic lights on Pattaya Klang) was hardly going to work and surprise surprise, there has been no change there in the management or otherwise of traffic flow and the lights serve no purpose whatsoever.

That has to be one of the worst accident blackspots in Pattaya. :o

Jai Dee wrote

Just how many Pattaya residents (both khon Thai and farang) can read French? There's no translations on the labels...

You mean they are having trouble in Pattaya with FRENCH LETTERS? :o

Jai Dee wrote
Just how many Pattaya residents (both khon Thai and farang) can read French? There's no translations on the labels...

You mean they are having trouble in Pattaya with FRENCH LETTERS? :o

The English find them too small , the Thais find them too big and the Arabs can't find them at all :D

I remember a "fresh" baguette (hope spelled right), which you can hand out to the police to knock down people at the ralley against Toxin, but you can not eat it (or they got sponsored from a Dentist??).

As said the bakery in Carrefour is by far the worst of. Incredible this could happen to something that started of soo good???????

Hope somebody from Carrefour management reads these threads.

As said the bakery in Carrefour is by far the worst of. Incredible this could happen to something that started of soo good???????

Hope somebody from Carrefour management reads these threads.

In spite of everything that's been said - and all is true - is Big C or Lotus any better?

My wife still prefers Carrefour for her main shopping trips. However, if she just needs to have a quick stock up on fresh stuff, she will pop into Foodland - quicker and more efficient and easier to find the fresh produce - albeit at a higher price. :o

That has to be one of the worst accident blackspots in Pattaya. :D

Agreed :D a couple of weeks ago I came out, where you do a U turn to go back to Klang, (You expect this to be one way! :D ) I was wondering why there wasn't more accidents, just as the car in front of me had the front end of his car taken of by a truck coming up from Klang. :D

To have allowed this place to be built here in the first place questions "City Hall" Commitment! :o

But given the shortage of land outside the city understandable :D

I agree its a blackspot for accidents, but I am surprised at the high & mighty approach of Carrefour. Given that in most other countries, they are well aware of the need to integrate and fund improvements in managing traffic flow, why did they not suggest at the planning stage that the whole thing was a disaster waiting to happen and offering some of the land on their frontage to provide a better solution. Of course, the reality will be that nobody in City Hall thought of this and probably nobody had the brains to suggest to Carrefour that they fund the improvements in traffic flow to prevent any problems. Really all it required was that the entrance to the store be placed further down Pattaya Klang and not directly across from an already busy junction. Its hardly rocket science.

Carefour in Patataya is no different to the ones in BKK and they do have some of the best fresh veg and fruit, but you have to look for it, as it's all mixed in with older stuff.

I'd agree with that... you've got to check the "use-by" dates... but I must admit I've been surprised at the volume of French labeled products that are now adorning the shelves... :D

Just how many Pattaya residents (both khon Thai and farang) can read French? There's no translations on the labels... :o

Carrefour Pattaya do have a massive undercover parking area... which IMHO is their biggest drawcard... but as for sales... if they're going to flood the market with French labelled goods, then I think they've lost the plot.

I find parking is the biggest down side of shopping at Carrefour. If you don't get there early, you are struggling to find a parking speck. And when you do, it's a fete of art, trying to ease your way in. Give me Tescos Nua anyday. Always stacks of space.

I'm in the UK at the mo,but a friend just came over that lives on soi Khoa Talo,and he says the lands been cleard on the corner of Sukumvit for a new Carrefour.

Anyone can confirm this?

It's a fairly persistant rumor but I don't know if it's confirmed yet.

I've been going to Carrefour for 2 years now and have yet to see that traffic light working... That intersection is always a total mess.

Well, it used to work for a few weeks 2 Years ago, and really improved the traffic security. But some people complained about traffic flow (2 traffic lights in a row ...) so they turned it off.

The lights were financed by Carrefour, and when the former manager complained in the public about the authorities don't using it, he got the persona non grata status.

So now we have casualities there every day, wonder how many people died because this traffic light (which was essential in the traffic planing for the building and traffic plans) is not working? In europe the media would accuse the authorities of murder. But this is Thailand.

Sunny

I'm in the UK at the mo,but a friend just came over that lives on soi Khoa Talo,and he says the lands been cleard on the corner of Sukumvit for a new Carrefour.

Anyone can confirm this?

It's a fairly persistant rumor but I don't know if it's confirmed yet.

Didn't I read in here not long ago, some where or other that it is going to be an IMax theatre complex?

One good thing about Carrefour is that it has a reasonably efficient home delivery service. We use it quite a lot but, that said, still prefer Foodland for most of our meat and veg. And then we get the bacon and stuff from Friendship, etc, etc. It would be nice if you could get it all in the same place but... TiT. :o