Thailand Claims World Record In Mass Hula-Hooping

webfact

Thailand claims world record in mass hula-hooping

BANGKOK: -- Thailand on Tuesday claimed the Guinness world record in mass hula-hooping, pipping Taiwan from the coveted title.

A representative of Guinness World Records acknowledged Thailand as the new champion after more than 4,483 participants gathered at Thammasat newsjsUniversity’s stadium and successfully hula-hooped simultaneously for seven minutes, said Pracha Thongsai, spokesman for CA Infomedia, which organised the event.

Taiwan set the previous world record for mass hula-hooping in 2011, with about 3,000 participants hula-hooping for five minutes, Pracha said.

"There were originally 5,500 Thai participants, but some of them failed to hula-hoop the full seven minutes," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-13

Thailand. The hula hooping hubba hubba.Good thing the record wasn't based on the more than 4,483 participants also being able to read and write. Then Thailand would have ranked right behind Equatorial Guinea...and they don't even have hula hoops there. Now...Bangkok is going after a new record. How many fellow students they can shoot while hula hooping. whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif .

No wonder the delightful PM-Yingluck promises 2013 will be the Year For Thailand, with more achievements like this, to look forward to ! rolleyes.gif

One hopes-against-hope that her stellar business-career wasn't also based on similar things.

It reminds me of the desperate days of the 1930s global-recession, will DPM-Super-Chalerm be tasked, with winning the world Dance-a-thon record, next ? Or perhaps a Drink-a-thon might be better ? wink.png

Edited by Ricardo

Yes, and in the meantime rampant corruption and abuse of authority and position, a little girl kidnapped, held slave and tortured, the ongoing problems in the south etc. etc.

And no one gives a toss.

Still I guess the muppets at the ministry of culture will be smiling. They are probably working out right now how to spin this dross out even more.

Thailand, sabai dee. Ching, ching. whistling.gif

Dudes!!! some nice happy news for once and it's met with such cynicism...Shame on you all...

I've just got me skipping ropes out of the loft for the attempt at the World "Double Dutch" record and then look at the headlines we could make!!!!

Stop being such negative nellies and come down to Sanam Luang in about 2 years time (when I'll be dead I hope) and join me...

Edited by HeavyDrinker
  • Like 1

I admit to, in the past, being a skeptic, but with news like this I finally get what the supporters of the current government have been trying to tell us. They are truly bringing the country to the fore front of global culture. Well done. I eagerly await the next step in the climb for supremacy, just wonder what it will be? The world's biggest bubble gum bubble? The world's most toxic landfill? The world's largest ear infection? The world's tallest mountain of rice?

• Like 1

And yet another fantastic record that will lift Thailand's image enormously in the eyes of the world. It's not that the country is lacking in world records, though. Consider these:

The world's largest clown circus, a.k.a. Thai Parliament;

The largest amount of ear medicine ingested in a single session - proud record holder: Chalerm Yubamrung;

The world's only government remotely controlled and directed from abroad;

The largest number of prostitutes that do not officially exist;

The world's only country where demanding bribes is officially endorsed as "a Chinese New Year tradition" by the deputy prime minister...

...and so on and so on. Who needs hubs of any kind when we can be so tremendously proud of all these achieved world records? If it continues at this pace, I am sure Guinness will soon consider publishing a special "Guinness Book of Unique Thai World Records" collectible edition.

• Like 1

Dudes!!! some nice happy news for once and it's met with such cynicism...Shame on you all...

I've just got me skipping ropes out of the loft for the attempt at the World "Double Dutch" record and then look at the headlines we could make!!!!

Stop being such negative nellies and come down to Sanam Luang in about 2 years time (when I'll be dead I hope) and join me...

nattering nabobs of negativity are out in force whining and moaning because some thai college kids in the LAND OF SMILES had some fun.....pitiful.

• Like 1

nattering nabobs of negativity are out in force whining and moaning because some thai college kids in the LAND OF SMILES had some fun.....pitiful.

I couldn't agree with you more college kids breaking a world record FOR FUN! Yet, the whiners of Thai Visa have nothing better to do other than make nasty comments about Thailand and even go as far as involving the Thai Government. Don't they (the posters) realize just how childish and ignorant they are being? Remember this county is hosting you, making visa's fairly easy, allowing for your stupidity and (in many cases) even allowing some of you to go to a bar and off wife! Something that many of you apparently couldn't manage in your own country, probably due to the whinging you did there!!

I think the time has come to invite NORMAL ex-pats (who also understand that this country, the same as ALL other countries, has some problems it needs to work out) to start a section for posters who appreciate some of the good things Thailand has to offer and to offer positive postings rather then the 100% negative stuff that these ex-pats seem to think that everyone else wishes to read!!

• Like 2

after more than 4,483 participants gathered

Would that be 4,484?

If you had bothered reading the OP before you commented, you woould have noticed that there is written

"There were originally 5,500 Thai participants, but some of them failed to hula-hoop the full seven minutes," he said.

Why is Thailand always so keen to get in the Guinness book of records for stupid and pointless records? Does it give them a sense of achievment? Do they list these achievments on their official tourism website?

Land of smiles

Kitchen to the world

Hub of hubs

Hula hoop record holders

Pathetic!

Pathetic?? Lighten up ... you'll live longer and happier.
  • Like 1

after more than 4,483 participants gathered

Would that be 4,484?

Yes, you would think the Guinness Book of Records would insist on a definite number.

Lets not split hairs! We just won, right! whistling.gifclap2.gif

Edited by Morakot

As far I know about Thai people, mostly are superficial and materialistic. Thai people may seem shy but most of them like being publicized e.g. World Guinness record. Showing off in this kind of thing, they are good at. I grew up abroad but I know about Thai mentality well.

Why is Thailand always so keen to get in the Guinness book of records for stupid and pointless records? Does it give them a sense of achievment? Do they list these achievments on their official tourism website?

Land of smiles

Kitchen to the world

Hub of hubs

Hula hoop record holders

Pathetic!

It will increase tourism??whistling.gif