Rules With Red Plates

poppysdad

I'm sure the question has been asked before but I cannot find it. I collect a new car on Monday which will have red plates along with a book, do I need to fill in this book on every journey no matter how short or is it if I just leave the province the plates refer to. Any other rules that I should be aware of as when I got my current car new got done once for 1000 baht as hadn't filled in the book on where I started and where I was going although on this occasion I was we'll away from my home province. Thanks.

Not 100% sure about the rules myself, but you have to fill in the book for every journey you make cross provinces. But you don't if you go shopping in for example your local Big C wink.png

The rest I will let the other members fill in

Edited by MJCM

I'm not sure of the delay with red plates - but I too will get getting a new motor soon and will follow this thread.

I was planning on filling in the brown book in pencil (ignoring the date) and just placing a generic destination in for BKK.

If I leave the province I'll fill out another page, but just erase and re-fill that pencilled section each time.

I'm also wondering if its possible to simply go to the Department of Land Transport and get my own licence organised, it might be quicker than having a dealer handle it.

I'm not sure of the delay with red plates - but I too will get getting a new motor soon and will follow this thread.

I was planning on filling in the brown book in pencil (ignoring the date) and just placing a generic destination in for BKK.

If I leave the province I'll fill out another page, but just erase and re-fill that pencilled section each time.

I'm also wondering if its possible to simply go to the Department of Land Transport and get my own licence organised, it might be quicker than having a dealer handle it.

If you get a special number going to the DLT will be quicker, but I think you will need some document of finance with you (so you need the help of the dealer).

My take on this is that you need to fill in the book in ink (and in thai!) and date it. Furthermore, to be completely in line with the law, you should get an authorization from the provincial DLT for each travel out of your province (there is a space for another signature on your book, that's the one where the DLT has to certify). Furthermore, you cannot (theoretically) drive from 6 PM to 6 AM.

This post and thread summarizes a lot of the findings: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/574737-red-plates-what-are-the-driving-restricitions/page__st__25#entry5603791

What ever the 'laws' are for red plates they seem to be hit and miss anyway.

Here in Buriram one cannot get red plates for either a car or motorbike, just none issued.

There are literally hundreds of vehicles here with no plates.

Never seen a vehicle with no number plate stopped even at check points of which thereare many in this province.

I believe that on red plates you are not allowed on the road after 6pm but as one has to wait 3 to 6 months for a proper number plate I doubt if this is upheld (unless it's 'tea money' time).

If you get a special number going to the DLT will be quicker, but I think you will need some document of finance with you (so you need the help of the dealer).

My take on this is that you need to fill in the book in ink (and in thai!) and date it. Furthermore, to be completely in line with the law, you should get an authorization from the provincial DLT for each travel out of your province (there is a space for another signature on your book, that's the one where the DLT has to certify). Furthermore, you cannot (theoretically) drive from 6 PM to 6 AM.

This post and thread summarizes a lot of the findings: http://www.thaivisa....25#entry5603791

Thats the most concise explanation I've read so far. Thanks for the clarification.

The filling in of the brown book in Thai will put may Westerners on a sticky wicket.. But, I believe the police are quite flexible with this whole matter and don't envisage any issues.

I won't be financing the car so it might be a quicker process to handle the registration and plates myself if the garage is not going to help expedite the matter.

I still have to wait 2 months or so for delivery. I'm wondering if it would make sense to 'book' the registration number earlier, I'm not even sure if thats possible.

What ever the 'laws' are for red plates they seem to be hit and miss anyway.

Here in Buriram one cannot get red plates for either a car or motorbike, just none issued.

There are literally hundreds of vehicles here with no plates.

Never seen a vehicle with no number plate stopped even at check points of which thereare many in this province.

I believe that on red plates you are not allowed on the road after 6pm but as one has to wait 3 to 6 months for a proper number plate I doubt if this is upheld (unless it's 'tea money' time).

I am picking up my new ride tommorow and can't get red plates as they are all in use but they will supply us with them as soon they have a free set.

We been told this is not a problem as long as we stay within Chonburi province.

I do a lot of driving cross country, and the cops almost always pull over red plates (or now - no plates). Mostly they're looking to see if you filled in the book with your destination, and if not, they will use that to extract 200 baht on the spot from you. I've been pulled over in my red plate vehicles, and if you fill out the book, you will never have a problem. I wouldn't let it stop you from taking road trips and enjoying your new ride! Not a big deal. The after 6pm thing is maybe more problematic. Technically, they could give you trouble, but again, a couple red notes gets you out of anything. As freemindxs said, it should be written in Thai, so if you can't do that, best to have someone do it for you.

I am picking up my new ride tommorow and can't get red plates as they are all in use but they will supply us with them as soon they have a free set.

My handyman has bought a new pickup a couple of weeks ago and he is on "No" plates and has been driving regularly between Chang Mai - Pattaya - Nakhon Pathom and he has been stopped many times but he has a paper which he got from the dealer (and the dealer got it from the LTO) if he shows that, they just let him pass.

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

What is this book you are talking about, does it come with the red plates or is it something I can get at the vehicle registration office?

Yeah, the brown booklet comes with the red plates, but I honestly don't know if they give you one if there are no red plates? Someone mentioned above they give you a piece of paper, maybe that works? I assume it does. The dealer should give you everything.

Edited by keemapoot

What is this book you are talking about, does it come with the red plates or is it something I can get at the vehicle registration office?

Yeah, the brown booklet comes with the red plates, but I honestly don't know if they give you one if there are no red plates? Someone mentioned above they give you a piece of paper, maybe that works? I assume it does. The dealer should give you everything.

OK thanks, I guess I will find out tomorrow but it's good to know so I will ask for sure.

OK thanks, I guess I will find out tomorrow but it's good to know so I will ask for sure.

You have to return the brown booklet when the white plates come in, but in your case, again not sure. The dealer should sort you out ok, I see lots and lots of no platers on the roads.

I purchased a new car one month ago and told the garage that I would arrange for the tax myself.

Within a couple of weeks garage called to say they had all the papers necessary to get the tax - went to the local land transport office and secured the blue book with the number that car would be registered under.

Less than 2 weeks later the white plates came from Bangkok - Problem averted re red plates and bibs.

My handyman has bought a new pickup a couple of weeks ago and he is on "No" plates and has been driving regularly between Chang Mai - Pattaya - Nakhon Pathom and he has been stopped many times but he has a paper which he got from the dealer (and the dealer got it from the LTO) if he shows that, they just let him pass.

This is exactly what I got with my new truck from Toyota in Udon several years ago, drove all over the country with just the document from the dealer and no plates untill the white plates arrived at the dealer. They gave us a call and we went in and they installed them.

Some legal looking thing with gold stamps on it.

Never had a problem