Bangkok Taxi Drivers Face Harsher Penalties For Rejecting Passengers

webfact

what a load of old <deleted>, they tried this a few months back and taxis complied for all of about a week, then it was back to normal.

rinse, repeat.

Have you ever actually bothered to report a driver to 1584 for not accepting a fare or not turning on the metre? No, thought not.....

If you don't use the system as setup, don't expect things to get better.

I have reported a few in the past, and have also received follow up weeks later confirming action was taken against the driver.

Even the threat of taking their number and calling the authorities can get them to change their mind.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder if those department stores they claim to have spoken with includes Siam Paragon. No sign saying that taxis can't refuse passengers there. Actually, there is a Paragon employee at the taxi rank area with a loudspeaker, announcing passengers' desired locations, while the taxis either accept or refuse. It's sort of like a taxi destination auction, with the Paragon employee leading the bidding. I stood there while I refused about five times by taxis, while they accepted people behind me in the queue. Why are Paragon management encouraging and facilitating taxis to selectively accept passengers?

I agree, the calling out of destinations is just wrong altogether. I don't want everybody in the vacinity to know where I'm heading! I personally just walk straight past these megaphone happy idiots and talk to taxis directly. MBK is just the same.

While I have no doubt there are problems, I think perhaps there is not enough nuance in the understanding of this situation. Having once upon a time been a cabbie in the West, allow me to raise two issues.

1. The biggest problem of scammers, to me, are the guys who park on the sois and simply won't use the meter but instead focus on hassling passers-by into their cars, at which point even if they said they would use the meter, they won't, or will continuously whine about the cost of gas and why you should give them 100 baht more. The guys who are on the road being flagged or who are at the taxi rank at the airport always use the meter in my experience. (Caveat - I speak reasonable Thai so am less likely to be the target of a savvy scammer).

2. Taxi drivers most often refuse to give rides during shift change. Unfortunately, this often occurs during rush hours around 5 PM, when more people are trying to get cabs. The reason you're being refused is that the cabbie needs to get to his dropoff point so the next driver can start his shift. If you take him away from there, he's going to be late and get docked a fine by the cab owner, or have to compensate the next guy who is renting his cab if he's the owner.

So these points need to be kept in mind, to my mind. If you don't mind.

Fair points, but concerning (2) if they didn't turn their "For Hire" lights on, they wouldn't get flagged down and wouldn't be abused for refusing. If you are changing shift, do so, go direct and be on time. If you want to try picking up people, perhaps even try with your light off on the way home, but don't have your light on constantly saying you are available when in fact you are only available in a very narrow route!

While I have no doubt there are problems, I think perhaps there is not enough nuance in the understanding of this situation. Having once upon a time been a cabbie in the West, allow me to raise two issues.

1. The biggest problem of scammers, to me, are the guys who park on the sois and simply won't use the meter but instead focus on hassling passers-by into their cars, at which point even if they said they would use the meter, they won't, or will continuously whine about the cost of gas and why you should give them 100 baht more. The guys who are on the road being flagged or who are at the taxi rank at the airport always use the meter in my experience. (Caveat - I speak reasonable Thai so am less likely to be the target of a savvy scammer).

2. Taxi drivers most often refuse to give rides during shift change. Unfortunately, this often occurs during rush hours around 5 PM, when more people are trying to get cabs. The reason you're being refused is that the cabbie needs to get to his dropoff point so the next driver can start his shift. If you take him away from there, he's going to be late and get docked a fine by the cab owner, or have to compensate the next guy who is renting his cab if he's the owner.

Fair points, but concerning (2) if they didn't turn their "For Hire" lights on, they wouldn't get flagged down and wouldn't be abused for refusing. If you are changing shift, do so, go direct and be on time. If you want to try picking up people, perhaps even try with your light off on the way home, but don't have your light on constantly saying you are available when in fact you are only available in a very narrow route!

Not the answer, but it would help if the change over was at a different time and different companies had different timings.

in fact, how come the transport ministry ever allowed a standard change over time for all companies and at 4:00pm?

I guess money talks, as usual.

Actually, I think it was worse than normal... my theory is that the taxi drivers got chatting at the ranks and decided in an osmotic fashion to dig their heels in and show that they won't be pushed around.

On the other hand, Bangkok traffic has gotten so bad in the last year, since the "first car assistance plan" by this vote-buying government, that taxi drivers must find themselves just sitting in traffic, all too slowly racking up one of the cheapest fare rates on the planet. In the last 20 years, fares have increased by about 20% - one single increase in two decades - while petrol prices have gone up from 8 baht a litre to 40... they may act like dicks, but they have legitimate complaints.

Agreed, their profit margins have shrunk, and it's a shit job. On the flipside, they are awful drivers,(tailgating is the norm), and have little interest in passenger safety - rear seatbelt locks hidden under seat, all usually met with the usual childish Thai giggle like a 3 year old! It's pot luck if they smell of garlic burps, Eucalyptus inhalers or some pleasant Jasmine.

I just called the 1584 taxi complaint line. The recorded message is Thai 100% and does not even offer to press 2 or 9 for English. How do they expect a tourist to lodge a complaint if this is all they are offering? As from a previous article here on TV a couple weeks ago from Phuket, there was some discrepancy with which number was to be used. I started calling them and was finally directed to 1155 which is tourist police. I just had my gf call the 1584 number and asked how to get service in English and she was also directed to 1155 tourist police. Why don't they just put the correct number on there to start with? TIT !!!

It seems worse now than when I used it a few years ago. FYI to complain, you need to dial 1584 then at the aumated message dial 1 followed by another 1. This will get you to the "Taxi School" where someone will take your complaint. They need to know the following:-

1) Registration number of Taxi (if you cannot describe the first 2 thai characters, try to give them the licence number of the taxi driver which you will find on the dashboard in front of and to the left of the front passenger seat.

2) Details of your compaint e.g. wouldn't turn on metre, asked for aditional payment, refused destination, was particulalry rude and absusive .......

I believe that they will give you a complaint number to track it, but not sure if that's still the case. I expect you will be able to get a complaint number which should make sure that they actually formally document the complaint.

Sadly everything is currently in Thai, although I got the impression that at least some of them speak English.

I took the advice of a fellow TV member and started leaving their doors open in traffic if they refuse.

It's funny to see how angry they get when you're passive aggressive back at them.

You guys should try it, it's good for a laugh while you wait for the next taxi!

Yes it's satisfying, but I did have one guy come at me with a crow bar. He got to me, realized I wasn't backing down and got back in his taxi, but I'd adviswe some caustion when taking this stance, it could escalate, and if you are on your own, we all know how Thai's like to gang up on the single farang....

• Like 1

To my way of thinking there are many reasons why a taxi driver should have the right to refuse a fare, things like:

A drunk

A very dirty person

Someone who is smoking.

Someone with an animal

Someone who is eating,

All of the above could lead to him having to clean his cab before he can take another fare

An abusive person

No money today pay you tomorrow

Someone who wants to do a long trip when the driver has been driving for most of the day or night, would you want to do a three hour trip with a driver who has already been driving for 8 hours?

Must be a <deleted> of a job driving in that traffic do your bit to make their job easier and see if attitudes improve.

Pay the meter fare and if it is a few baht short of a round number dont ask for the change.

Always thank the driver, same goes for buses and Tuk tuks, it costs you nothing and see how much they appreciate it

All valid reasons and I'm sure acceptable by the police as an excuse. However, if the same driver keeps getting complaints about him, he will find that he will run out of excuses really quickly.

I always say thank you in Thai on my way out, but only get a polite thank you back about 50% of the time. That's just people being people....

A first for me.

Hailed a taxi out side Pan Tip and was of course refused. But what the heck happened next? A cop came up, berated the driver, and gave him a fixed penalty!!

Need less to say the next taxi I stopped took us!

Never experienced that. but hope to see it one day....

Not the answer, but it would help if the change over was at a different time and different companies had different timings.

in fact, how come the transport ministry ever allowed a standard change over time for all companies and at 4:00pm?

I guess money talks, as usual.

Why is it "not the answer"? If the "Free" light is not on, they don't get hailed, they don't stop, nobody's pissed, nobody's fined.

Just found this iPhone app for reporting Bangkok taxis. Has anyone tried it yet?

https://itunes.apple...d501278589?mt=8

Great spot. Anyone got experience of it working or know if it's genuine?

I downloaded and tried it. It only takes login from a Facebook account which is annoying and open to some abuse, but it seems to work ok.

To respond to someone else's post, it's n ot all in Thai, there is some English describing the complaint options, and I think a non-Thai reader could get through it.

I also confirmed with a manager at the 1584 call centre that the application is genuine and the reports from it go to them.

Since I frequently use taxis myself, this is a subject close to my heart. After a long conversation with the 1584 call centre manager, he has said he will look into improving the automated message to be clearer in Thai, and hopefully add some English to it. I'm obvioulsy not going to hold my breath TiT but if a few more of you concerned citizens (Thai or fluent Farang) were to do the same and tell them to improve the automated answering messages it would surely help visitors who call 1584 after a bad experience, and the manager already said some of his staff do speak English.

I always thought in Bangkok it was easy ... if a taxi doesnt want to bring you anywhere ..take another one .... this practice from taxi drivers who prefer not to use meter or not want to bring customers too far or too close is the key problem ... I think the Bangkok airport taxi issue is bigger than that ... still so many drivers refuse to put meter from Airport to town. I guess with the help of some airport officers for sure. Well when money is involve ...

I've taken taxis from BKK airports hundreds of times over the past 30 years and have never had a driver refuse to turn on the meter ... ever. However, I can't say the same about other BKK areas.

Bangkok is a vile hellhole and the criminal taxi drivers there are only one part of it.

I've never seen the Bangkok you speak of, and I've been a very regular visitor for thirty years ... and a resident for the past five years. Indeed there are some a-hole taxi drivers but I'd guesstimate it's maybe 5-10 percent. Actually yesterday I met two very nice and funny taxi drivers who thoroughly entertained me while stuck in grid-lock traffic. So why do you hang out on TV? For Thai bashing ... or what?

You can always tell it's a scam driver when he rolls down the window to interview potential customers.

scam? how?

These guys are professional tourist scammers, posing as taxi drivers, trolling for a novice visitor to screw.

The have no intention of ever using the meter.

Scammers, intent on defrauding every tourists they meet is what they are up to.

• Like 1

Here's a few taxis that didnt stop - pay more than the meter usually has a result ....market forces...

Dumb waste-of-time video that proves only that the one girl, by sitting down like that, is too dull to realize she's basically communicating to oncoming taxis "Go ahead and reject me because I've already been rejected by 90 other taxis".

I'd have to say that the headlights on the older motorbikes look brighter than these two.

• Like 1

I fly about twice monthly and I have had a few drivers try it on from the meter taxi stand at Suvarnabhumi, asking for 500thb flat fare once in the cab etc, never had one actually refuse to turn on the meter though. Had one take me a very long route home whilst claiming it was quicker.

At Don Muang I had several problems. Worst was a taxi taken from the taxi meter booth that refused to turn on the meter. Young guy on drugs I suspect and was spoiling for a fight. At one point I thought that was what was going to happen, as he drove me through an underground car-park while doing a u-turn. His demeanor was threatening and I thought he was going to stop the cab and try something. He drove me back to the taxi meter stand however and I got out, while he went to look for another mark. Nasty experience that left a bad taste in the mouth.

Since I frequently use taxis myself, this is a subject close to my heart. After a long conversation with the 1584 call centre manager, he has said he will look into improving the automated message to be clearer in Thai, and hopefully add some English to it. I'm obvioulsy not going to hold my breath TiT but if a few more of you concerned citizens (Thai or fluent Farang) were to do the same and tell them to improve the automated answering messages it would surely help visitors who call 1584 after a bad experience, and the manager already said some of his staff do speak English.

Good.

Not the point, but things have improved a lot compared to say 15 years ago:

There was no hotline.

Call the tourist police and they would tell you to call the ministry of transport, and their switchboard operator would tell you (in Thai) that there is not one person in the building who can speak English.

Have a Thai colleague call them and after being transferred many times eventually get the following instructions to lodge a comlaint:

- Must come to the land transport office at Chatujuk area and personally complete a complaint form, in Thai.

- Must attach a signed copy of the front and back of the drivers ID card and a signed copy of the household registration document showing the drivers name.

And of course getting the required attachment documents totally impossible.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

I took the advice of a fellow TV member and started leaving their doors open in traffic if they refuse.

It's funny to see how angry they get when you're passive aggressive back at them.

Yes it's satisfying, but I did have one guy come at me with a crow bar. He got to me, realized I wasn't backing down and got back in his taxi, but I'd adviswe some caustion when taking this stance, it could escalate, and if you are on your own, we all know how Thai's like to gang up on the single farang....

I often do this. I just reply in a friendly way "mai pen rai" and close the door very gently. Recently it backfired in that the taxi driver stopped, got out of his car and started to walk towards me. I had already left the spot so he had to walk (run or whatever) a good 10 -20 metres but was stopped by all the honking of horns. He was completely blocking the road.

I travel from Rama 9 to Thong Lor every evening and sometimes I have had as many as 9 (NINE) taxis say no to me in one evening. I end up walking a kilometer to the MRT and then fighting to get on the BTS.

The drivers that take me are usually very polite and friendly and I tell them about the refusals and they always reply in a nice way that they don't understand why drivers don't want to go that way. The trip takes 10 minutes and costs 75 baht.

Yesterday I took a taxi from Ekamai bus station to Ratchada. The driver said he would go up Ekamai and then Rama 9. Ok no problem. As soon as the lights changed to green he saw the traffic on Ekamai and turned right (he could have turned left which was the right direction). Realising he was going to Sukhumvit 71 which is always congested (+ way off the route) I asked him to pullover and let me out. "No can stop" (even though I spoke Thai to him). After about 400 metres (well past the temple at Ekamai) he stopped and demanded 40 baht. I refused to pay and got out. Luckily he just drove off.

Yes, there are good and bad drivers. I probably use Taxis 10 - 12 times a week and rarely have rude drivers but the number of taxis refusing to use taximetres or go to my destination is definitely on the increase.

• Like 1

It just a waste of time.....I had on many occasions tried to get a taxi from pratunam shopping mall to chinatown.. it was only after the sixth or seventh that came along willing to take me there by meter.....the meter charge is about 70-80 bahts.....but some of these scavengers wanted to charge me 250 baht..

what a cock...

I always thought in Bangkok it was easy ... if a taxi doesnt want to bring you anywhere ..take another one .... this practice from taxi drivers who prefer not to use meter or not want to bring customers too far or too close is the key problem ... I think the Bangkok airport taxi issue is bigger than that ... still so many drivers refuse to put meter from Airport to town. I guess with the help of some airport officers for sure. Well when money is involve ...

I've taken taxis from BKK airports hundreds of times over the past 30 years and have never had a driver refuse to turn on the meter ... ever. However, I can't say the same about other BKK areas.

I am surprised that a few posters say they have never ever ever had a taxi driver refuse to turn on the meter (e.g., Swampy taxi stand). I speak good (not excellent) Thai to the drivers, I am always polite, and I always use the 50THB rank at the airport. It used to be great, but I would say in the last 10 times (2012) about 6 or 7 of the drivers refuse to use the meter until a significant back and forth of "500 baht", no, meter, "500 baht", no, just the meter, "OK, 450 baht", no, you're wasting your time, etc. Staying cool and polite works in the end but it's a damned nuisance and much more common than it used to be.

However, flagging one down on the street, never had one yet not turn on the meter right away.

If I keep in mind it's a relatively rotten job with not great pay and stay polite I never seem to have a nasty issue to deal with. Plenty of bad stories, but polite persistence seems to help. Or ... just pull over and get out, get another taxi!

Cheers,

CC

Congratulation to the taxi driver that he didn't pick you upclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Maybe we have been lucky, maybe here is a silent majority not reporting about their positive experiences.

For a family event we have been in a hotel near the Navamin Road. We used some taxis and never had to ask
to turn on the meter. All in all, great service and no reason to complain even about their driving style.

• 14.02.2013 ~11:45 a.m. - DMG-Airport, taxi meter booth --> Navamin Road; 149 THB

• 15.02.2013 ~16:30 a.m. - Rudnin Hosp. --> Navamin Rd.; 156 THB

• 18.02.2013 ~10:00 a.m. - Navamin Rd. --> Lad Phrao Underground; 137 THB

• 21.02.2013 ~ 4:30 a.m. - Navamin Rd. --> DMG Airport; 170 THB

The hotel reception switchted on a light for the taxis in the know;
the first driver took us ~ 300 m to the main road and stopped then
for a special reason, but didn't ask for money. Not yet 1 minute
later another taxi picked us up to the airport.

All drivers had a card with their name, photo etc. hanging down onthe backside of their seats.

Edited by puck2

I have an entirely different experience of taxi's in BKK to many of you whom have never been rejected. This situation is repeatable day in day out

and varies very little, travelling from Bang Kapi to Phayathai.

Hail a taxi and tell them Phayahai in the mornings before 10am and the taxi driver 9/10 times will laugh at you and say no. Returning home in the

evening and getting progressively worse until 10pm when all of a sudden they no longer say no and laugh to all saying yes.

I can sometimes flag down and still have 3-4 taxi's on Phayathai thanon stopped while i hop between them asking if they may take me... all refuse

most of the time. If they do not refuse out right, they will ask for 200THB or more.

Yeah it can get on your nerves after an hour.

Edited by jcisco