Driving From Thailand To Europe

Potter

Has anybody ever done it or known of somebody doing it?

What countries would you pass? What would your route be? and why?

What vehicle would be your choice?

Hi there,

I don't know from Thailand, but i knew one who took the Train to Austria from Hong Kong.... :o

It took him 4 weeks.

So if i look at the Map you might want to go through Laos to China and from China through Russia...until you reach European Borders. This i would do if a good 4x4 and better if 2 vehicles are involved , equipped with winch...and everything what's available.

This is just my speculation but you should certainly get more opinions.

Good luck...

rcm :D

Hi there,

I don't know from Thailand, but i knew one who took the Train to Austria from Hong Kong.... :o

It took him 4 weeks.

So if i look at the Map you might want to go through Laos to China and from China through Russia...until you reach European Borders. This i would do if a good 4x4 and better if 2 vehicles are involved , equipped with winch...and everything what's available.

This is just my speculation but you should certainly get more opinions.

Good luck...

rcm :D

Not sure about the route, but definately you would require 2 4x4s usually Land rovers would be the vehicle of choice. If you get stuck in one vehicle the other one can pull you out. You would need to fill the vehicles with spares, food and water, camping gear, it would have to be fitted with a winch and with skids to lay on the road if you get stuck. You would probably want the vehicle itted with a snorkel and some serious off road tyres. I would also be inclined to go on some sort of vehicle maintenance course, as i am pretty sure you will be needing these skils somewhere on route.

mongolia971102vs.jpg

You will also need gps along with a sat phone.

I watched a programme about a group of guys that did this on motorbikes and they were forever breaking down having major problems. There were sections of their route through Russia and other countries, where there just wasnt a road and they were knee deep in mud.

Great adventrure good luck if you try it :D

Hmmm, it will take some planning. There are plenty of countries in turmoil to the west of Thailand. The route up through Laos and China may be the best. Visas may be a problem and you’ll need to look into the import/export of vehicles at each country you travel through.

I’d look for a diesel vehicle that’s common to most countries along the route and avoid Land rover. They are good if they have good constant maintenance and plenty of spares.

The jokes about joining the bonnet up club when you buy a Land rover didn’t start without a reason. The other joke about why they named it a discovery. You discover how to fix it on weekends. Just as long as you remember you won’t have good mechanics or dealerships to rely on if things go wrong.

Maybe go for a Toyota Landcruiser, Hilux or something Japanese. They seem to be a vehicle of choice across the central part of Asia and the Middle East. There’ll be more chance of finding second hand spares and locals who know how to bodge them up.

It sounds like a good trip if you can pull it off.

I dreamed about that and my father of going with his small boat along the coast.

We are from Austria....

If you ever do it, send me pictures!

Met a guy at the Malaysia Hotel in BKK.He came from the Netherlands with his rotten old Benz-Bus.He had to make a stop over for 3 weeks as he had a furuncle on his butt from sitting.he had chosen the route via Afghanistan /Iran/Irak a couple of years ago

there is an australian travel company based in london , do the trip by 6 wheel drive bus, twice a year, from singapore to london and vicky verky,they used to trade as Overlander travel, if you are in uk try and lay your hands on the tnt free aussie expat newspaper they advertise in it,nignoy

there is an australian travel company based in london , do the trip by 6 wheel drive bus, twice a year, from singapore to london and vicky verky,they used to trade as Overlander travel, if you are in uk try and lay your hands on the tnt free aussie expat newspaper they advertise in it,nignoy

I know of a company called exodus, not sure if they are the same as overlander, but it is the same deal with them, convertred lorries London to Singapore in 40 weeks. I was offered a job with them, but told to go and do some travelling first, and that is when i met my wife. I think that sort of job is a single mans game, money was crap as well £50 a week and all your living expenses while on the road :o

You have had lots of advice already.

Years ago when I was young lad I did lots of overland travel with beat up old van and at that time series 3 Landrover (after that forget it Toyota is the BEST)

The main problem is political. Import-export the vehicle, is the country safe?. The UK AA or RAC issued a “Carnet de Passage” on guarantee of sufficient funds to cover any tax liable in any country you plan to cross.

Research is the answer which country is safe?, plan your route be prepared to change the route. Take cash (USD everyone recognizes) keep it safe.

Prepare your vehicle. Get in touch with the manufactures tell them what you plan ask what are the weak points on the vehicle. You need to carry spare parts but not so many to weigh you down.

Don’t worry about going on your own. Once you are on the road you will meet a whole lot of fellow travelers.

There used to be a UK company called Trailfinders don’t know if they still exist but on my first overland Africa they were very helpful.

Once on the road you are on your own – it is a GREAT feeling – go for it.

:o:D:D

Going off topic again. :D

Yes you could try it in a Ford Fairlane or a Honda Dream. I have met several people crossing the Sahara desert on motorbike and on one occasion a girl on a pushbike. And yes they made it eventually.

You won’t know till you try. The only thing I would say to anyone is be prepared to just walk away if you have to. :o