Police Sting Targeting Farangs On West Side Of Narawat Bridge

ShawnStorm

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Police check point you mention has been in operation at that location for several years and it stops far more Thai's than it does farangs, I live on the East side of the bridge and I pass through that check point at least twice a day, every day, it's purpose exists to catch and fine idiots who drive motorbikes whilst not wearing a crash helmet, a sting it is not.

And for catching people turning left on a red light! (Coming up from River Market road)

"It probably takes ten minutes to stop and write one up."I don't think so! From the time I was stopped a few weeks ago, from stopping to riding off....about 45 seconds and ticket in hand!I think anyone who comes over here and jumps on a bike with absolutely no previous riding experience, is asking for problems.

Edited by kjhbigv
  • Like 1

^^ ' And for catching people turning left on a red light! (Coming up from River Market road)'

Yes indeed. Been coming up that road for years and always when turning left simply merged into the traffic coming off the bridge, never realizing I was required to stop. A chap brought this up recently on another thread, and yesterday I did stop, and did notice a small rectangular sign with several lines in Thai apparently indicating so. Others were stopped too, yet even more continued thru, merging with traffic, which I believe is the accepted procedure. This was around 1900 hours so no chance of a police check, unlike during a normal working day.

Why no large cautionary sign with, say, a red Left-Turn Arrow superimposed with an international forbidden circle-with-slash over it, and accompanied by a traffic signal sign arrowing the red light? As it stands now even Thais can't see it as it is not prominent; 'for a reason' one might conclude.

• Like 1

Thanks again to everyone for all the constructive criticism. This thread is a great reminder that no matter what somebody says, there will always be someone who disagrees or even takes offense. Mai bpen rai. Such is life. :)

I have basically said what I needed to say. Further commentary on my behalf feels unnecessary and possibly counterproductive.

Choke dee krap!

Shawn

ShawnStorm, on 2013-02-17 16:56:53, said:

There could also be information awareness campaigns to notify tourists of the laws and discourage them from renting motorbike without proper credentials, etc. If this exists I have never seen it. From my perspective the Thai government doesn't seem to be overly concerned about the issue and seems happy to profit from it by handing out tickets that are low enough that the ticketed driver isn't very discouraged from continuing to drive their motorbike. If I had received a 2000+ baht ticket, I probably would of returned my bike and called it quits.

Thailand is not a nanny state.

Beats me people coming over here with no clue as to the laws involved in there activities.

The Police check point you mention has been in operation at that location for several years and it stops far more Thai's than it does farangs, I live on the East side of the bridge and I pass through that check point at least twice a day, every day, it's purpose exists to catch and fine idiots who drive motorbikes whilst not wearing a crash helmet, a sting it is not.

And for catching people turning left on a red light! (Coming up from River Market road)

Is turning left on a red light illegal??

In the case mentioned above, a sign tells motorists that they must first stop before turning left.

Is turning left on a red light illegal??

unless signposted otherwise, yes.

I live on the East side of the bridge and I pass through that check point at least twice a day, every day, it's purpose exists to catch and fine idiots who drive motorbikes whilst not wearing a crash helmet, a sting it is not.

I'm sure you don't speed, smoke, drink, or other foolish things. whistling.gif

I live on the East side of the bridge and I pass through that check point at least twice a day, every day, it's purpose exists to catch and fine idiots who drive motorbikes whilst not wearing a crash helmet, a sting it is not.

I'm sure you don't speed, smoke, drink, or other foolish things. whistling.gif

I'm OK with foolish things periodically but I'm averse to stupid things that result in loss of life.

• Like 1

Actually in the US your Thai issue driver license is just fine. There is no hard fast rule on international drivers license and most are just a scam. The only requirement in the US is the foriegn license have vital information printed in English. No test are required for IDP and from what I remember from my internet research IDP are simple the information on your original DL reprinted... In the case of a license printed in a foriegn language it is simple a translation to English...

Edited by montereyjp
  • Like 2

This guy was trying to help people.

It is quite amazing how many hypocrites are on this forum. One minute they're complaining about the (blatant) police corruption and the next they're are defending them so they can have a dig at someone for being a 'newbie'.

I'm sure these people would love to know exactly how long everyone has been in Chiang Mai so they know who's top of the pile.

To the OP, thanks for the post, enjoy your holiday.

Pick on the "Newbie". Chiang Mai TV forum's favourite game since 2004.

1) Anytime you have to stop due to an accident, fender bump or police check, YOU take your keys out as fast as you can because they will grab them. Even non-police will grab them if you bump into the back of their car.

2) Always keep another set (your main set) of keys on you and only use JUST the bike key while you are driving. That way if they do take your keep you can still leave if you have to.

3) IDL is easy to get and the police don't know the difference between a real / fake and expired one. Just have something to show them that resembles one. Watch them when you give it to them, they don't even know what to look at. It's just procedure and if you have nothing you get a ticket.

Their country, play by their rules, which is scam and cheat each other and have as much sanook as possible. So... have sanook!

Very good post. Very pragmatic. +1

I've never thought of carrying a duplicate myself though I did ask my wife to put one in her purse.

I particularly like your last statement.

It is quite amazing how many hypocrites are on this forum. One minute they're complaining about the (blatant) police corruption and the next they're are defending them so they can have a dig at someone for being a 'newbie'.

I'm sure these people would love to know exactly how long everyone has been in Chiang Mai so they know who's top of the pile.

I hate to unravel your persecution complex but if you read through all the posts in this thread, slowly, you'll see that with the exception of a single poster, everyone was discussing the contents of the OP's post rather than the OP himself, most people were supportive of the OP!

I'm going to go against the grain and say "thanks" to the OP for the heads up. I appreciate it and frankly it motivates me to finally get that Thai license I've been thinking about.

I don't know what they do in other countries but in the US when people are coming from a speed trap, they typically flash their lights to warn oncoming traffic. It's a common courtesy. After reading this thread I imagine a line of drivers ranting and raving about that jerk that stupidly flashed his lights because... well, just because.

I'm going to go against the grain and say "thanks" to the OP for the heads up. I appreciate it and frankly it motivates me to finally get that Thai license I've been thinking about.

I don't know what they do in other countries but in the US when people are coming from a speed trap, they typically flash their lights to warn oncoming traffic. It's a common courtesy. After reading this thread I imagine a line of drivers ranting and raving about that jerk that stupidly flashed his lights because... well, just because.

It's also illegal in the U.S. to warn others about speed traps by flashing your headlamps - worth a ticket, fine and points on your license.

Saw a CM cop do this turn on red the other day - a day with no checkpoint!

Saw a CM cop do this turn on red the other day - a day with no checkpoint!

Gasp, how can this be!

I hate to unravel your persecution complex but if you read through all the posts in this thread, slowly, you'll see that with the exception of a single poster, everyone was discussing the contents of the OP's post rather than the OP himself, most people were supportive of the OP!

I would have thought someone with your experience on here would have seen the said action happen countless of times on countless of threads. And I and many others judging by other comments on here would disagree with your comments about it being one comment. Lots of regulars up to there favourite game of whining and complaining.
  • Like 1

I would have thought someone with your experience on here would have seen the said action happen countless of times on countless of threads. And I and many others judging by other comments on here would disagree with your comments about it being one comment. Lots of regulars up to there favourite game of whining and complaining.

As you will TW, but you and everyone else, be they newbie or old foggie, should understand that many of us in this forum seek only to make sure that the picture that is printed here is a fair and accurate one.

@submaniac: "There's no reason someone doesn't get an IDP."

Here are several good reasons not to get an IDP:

1. The purpose of the IDP is to translate a non-English driver's license.

2. The IDP is not required if you have a driver's license in English or Thai.

3. In my country, to obtain an IDP I'd have to fly to the big city and stay one

night in a hotel at a total cost of $400-$500.

4. To my knowledge, there has never been a single documented case

where having an IDP saved anyone's life... wink.png

Edited by BradinAsia

I must say that in all my many years spent in the region I have never heard of the police randomly pulling over visitors just to check driving licenses. I too have been pulled over at that same location for not wearing a helmet, so that was justified on the part of the police.

I posted a topic on this a while back.

Foreigners without driving licenses is one of their new targets.

I have my Thai motorcycle license and Thai driver's license. It was not hard to obtain at all. Before I got that, I got an international driver's permit for car and motorcycle in my home country, which was even easier. The people you hear complaining on this forum are people who followed the rules, and they don't like it when they follow the rules and someone who doesn't follow the rules complains about it. And it is so very easy to follow the rules with this one. There's no reason someone doesn't get an IDP. It took about 15 minutes in the home country.

As several people have already pointed out, IDP is only required for foreign tourists without a Driving License printed in English or Thai. If you are on any long term stay, you are required to have a Thai driving license.

As an American citizen, you wasted your time getting a IDP as it was not required in Thailand.

As the OP posted, when challenged about the IDP, the Thai policeman backed down ...... but then noticed an alternative 'charge'.

Driving a m/c without being able to drive it is completely irresponsible and IMHO worth of at least a night in the cells.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Jeez people. Sorry about my wording, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I'm not "trolling", was just trying to be helpful. I didn't know this is common. I didn't know that I am driving illegally (I figured one of the rental shops would have told me). I am obviously a somewhat ignorant Farang.

I have rented motorbikes many many times in Asia (Thailand, Indonesia, Laos, etc) and never been pulled over by the police. So this seemed like a new thing to me.

It felt like a "sting" in the heat of the moment, and it felt like that to some of the other ignorant Farang that I talked to in the station. It also sure seemed like they were targeting foreigners because almost every person I saw them pull over was a foreigner, while Thais wizzed by without helmets.

Can I change my title to make it less controversial (I can't figure out how to edit the original post)?

Anyways, I am sorry. I was driving without a proper license. I got a small slap on the wrist in the form of a ticket and visit to the station. I applogize if my original post sounded like I was whining or trolling. My main purpose was to document the incident in case it wasn't a normal thing and to educate other ignorant travelers who are in the same boat as me. Thanks for setting me straight.

Sincerely,

Shawn

I was more annoyed about your racist references than anything else.

And the fact you should have been arrested and jailed for driving a m/c without a m/c license.

It's also illegal in the U.S. to warn others about speed traps by flashing your headlamps - worth a ticket, fine and points on your license.

Yes, it may be illegal, but in an oppressive police state folks tend to cooperate for their survival.

I was fortunate to escape in March 1992 with only 6 points on my license. Did not want to stay

around for the rest.

Now, after 21 years (this stint) living in Japan, Philippines and Thailand, I give thanks every day

for my peace of mind and freedom from oppression (from police and highway patrol). In all my

experiences with the police in these 3 countries, I've never felt intimidation or stress.

Many places could be called the "Land of the Free", but the U.S. is not one of them.

• Like 1

Jeez people. Sorry about my wording, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I'm not "trolling", was just trying to be helpful. I didn't know this is common. I didn't know that I am driving illegally (I figured one of the rental shops would have told me). I am obviously a somewhat ignorant Farang.

I have rented motorbikes many many times in Asia (Thailand, Indonesia, Laos, etc) and never been pulled over by the police. So this seemed like a new thing to me.

It felt like a "sting" in the heat of the moment, and it felt like that to some of the other ignorant Farang that I talked to in the station. It also sure seemed like they were targeting foreigners because almost every person I saw them pull over was a foreigner, while Thais wizzed by without helmets.

Can I change my title to make it less controversial (I can't figure out how to edit the original post)?

Anyways, I am sorry. I was driving without a proper license. I got a small slap on the wrist in the form of a ticket and visit to the station. I applogize if my original post sounded like I was whining or trolling. My main purpose was to document the incident in case it wasn't a normal thing and to educate other ignorant travelers who are in the same boat as me. Thanks for setting me straight.

Sincerely,

Shawn

I was more annoyed about your racist references than anything else.

And the fact you should have been arrested and jailed for driving a m/c without a m/c license.

If it were racist to identify characteristics of a culture that you find unpragmatic or dangerous then much of civil discourse in the world would be stymied. Plus, ThaiVisa would have to shut its doors. The naysayers here really befuddle me - this site is chockablock with people bitching about aspects of the local culture, not to mention American culture, middle east culture, European culture, etc. When people do this with a dismissive and unreasoned attitude then I say, yes, that could be construed as racist because it blindly denigrated the "other". But the OP's post didn't do that. If anything it was the opposite - he may have been crying "racist" himself in that he felt the Thais were targeting foreigners over Thais, which most of us know not to be the case at checkpoints (if anything we get a pretty wide berth).

Maybe I'm missing something here, but most of the responses seem out of character with the general tone and attitude of the majority of Thai Visa posters. I'm baffled. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that we're all a little pissed off about the traffic situation in general and would like there to be less dipshits on the road. Or maybe it's just mob mentality.

But the OP's post didn't do that. If anything it was the opposite - he may have been crying "racist" himself in that he felt the Thais were targeting foreigners over Thais, which most of us know not to be the case at checkpoints (if anything we get a pretty wide berth).

farang = white foreigner = racist

I can't think of any circumstance where a person's skin colour is important to the story, can you?