Hand To Mouth.........

theblether

Well in all fairness, the OP's premise is that poverty is not good.

He did not say that he sees virtue in not having any/ very little possessions.

But things can otherwise be possible, we still can make a case here that a hand-to-mouth lifestyle could be actually very good as it could free us from many obligations.

Edited by Morakot

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have plenty of resources. I am very, very prudent with my money. When I set out, I had a plan. As long as I hold to that plan, I am fine.

Bitter at perhaps the US and world financial system for screwing me (what has occurred since 2000). Bitter at corporate thieves and government hacks.

I will be happy to take your money though. I'm sure you could do without McDonalds for a week.

I suggest a charity be started to send some of these sad penurious British losers back to UK where they can live like royalty for pennies.

Perhaps Thailand can levy a tax on visas for British travelers to fund the return of these sad penurious British losers back to UK.

let us hope you are a permanent Denizen of Thailand.

Is it because of my proposals of charity for penurious foreigners?

I have plenty of resources. I am very, very prudent with my money. When I set out, I had a plan. As long as I hold to that plan, I am fine.

Bitter at perhaps the US and world financial system for screwing me (what has occurred since 2000). Bitter at corporate thieves and government hacks.

I will be happy to take your money though. I'm sure you could do without McDonalds for a week.

I would be happy to donate you the amount I spend on McDonalds for a week. How long would that sustain you?

No, I am having a go at YOU.

Maybe you ought to go talk to a monk and get some sort of clue on what the basis of this entire civilization that you live in daily rests upon.

It doesn't rest upon religion......if that's what you've learned on your travels go get a refund. smile.png

• Like 2

Maybe you ought to go talk to a monk and get some sort of clue on what the basis of this entire civilization that you live in daily rests upon.

Maybe you need to ask yourself what you want, what you think is important for you. How you fit in with others as your self.

All I know, is that I would go down there quite a bit, sure there were times when there was a few in there, especially when there was football on worth watching, but most of the time there was only me and one or two others. Seemed to me that he was doing much better business up the road and need not have moved.

He always called her his wife when talking to me.

But if what you are saying is true, then I am not totally shocked. Funny thing is.... regardless of what the real facts were. After it went tits up, I offered to help him out by bank rolling a new restaurant for him as long as he followed my business model. I was willing to put in 200K, more out of help than of business sense. But if he used the correct formula and chased the correct market then I should have seen some return, and he would have had his life back on track. But to my amazement he turned it down.

His girlfriend closed down the place as the person in question would be too drunk to be able to run the kitchen half the time. He would also disappear days at a time. The reason why he lost control of his life was his alcoholism. Many people told me they helped him out. Funnily enough they seemed to think that buying a few beers would be classified as help which obviously is not the case if you are buying beers for an alcoholic. He is living off a disability pension which gives him about 30-40 k a month and most of it goes to beer and fags. I feel sorry for the guy, i really tried to help him (finding a job, place to crash, legal assistance etc but after trying for 3 years I am slowly giving up hope.

Well as you know him, you must also know the old Canadian guy. He is really a lost case.

Yes I know him (Canadian guy)... It was you who introduced me to him if I remember correctly.

I agree, totally lost cause, and also living in dreamland. Would come in to the bar with no money and sit at the table and chat and wave away the waitress until someone bought him a beer.

Shame really, because if you ever sat and had a deep convo with him, he was actually very intelligent.

It doesn't rest upon religion......if that's what you've learned on your travels go get a refund. smile.png

This app until now was giving me errors when selecting quote option.

Call the truth an insult to avoid confronting it as fact. Got it.

Indeed, the soul of the nation is Buddhist and with all their faults, that come with the smallmindedness of modernity - Thai's are very kind and decent people.

All Thai's have very poor relatives. They are all one generation from peasants themselves. But more than that...they try to practice kindness, concern, compassion and in short - to be true to the teachings of the lord Buddha. Fall short? Every day dont we all?

It always warms my heart to see a young person drop money in the cup of a beggar knowing full well s/he makes as little as 10k a month. I routinely see acts of charity here I would never see in the west.

You discard their culture and religion and thereby their civilization. Note I stated civilization, not some crap throwaway consumerist attitude. The soul of the nation and the people.

Unfortunately, Thailand is full of farang with this crap attitude now.

Funny, you hold up hippie travelers as some sort of good thing. They are the stinky bums you so despise.

Indeed, the soul of the nation is Buddhist and with all their faults, that come with the smallmindedness of modernity - Thai's are very kind and decent people.

All Thai's have very poor relatives. They are all one generation from peasants themselves. But more than that...they try to practice kindness, concern, compassion and in short - to be true to the teachings of the lord Buddha. Fall short? Every day dont we all?

It always warms my heart to see a young person drop money in the cup of a beggar knowing full well s/he makes as little as 10k a month. I routinely see acts of charity here I would never see in the west.

You discard their culture and religion and thereby their civilization. Note I stated civilization, not some crap throwaway consumerist attitude. The soul of the nation and the people.

Funny, you hold up hippie travelers as some sort of good thing. They are the stinky bums you so despise.

I keep on hoping that you are joking and therefore not as deluded as you would appear to be. Sadly I fear that you may actually believe what you have typed.

• Like 1

In regard to Thais being 1 generation from peasants, it appears the principles of peasantry are being reintroduced to USA, UK and France as the world economy levels out. One of the worst aspects is soaking up unemployment by fomenting military causes which require more human fodder and then discarding the dregs of the military when their usefulness is ended.

USA, UK and France are going backwards in terms of the prosperity of their middle class which is sinking into a bottomless abyss.

• Like 1

I keep on hoping that you are joking and therefore not as deluded as you would appear to be. Sadly I fear that you may actually believe what you have typed.

His views are like a breath of fresh air!

Makes sense, depending on the perspective. With a new perspective the point of view will change.

Edited by Morakot

18 February 2013 Last updated at 04:05 GMT

Thailand economic recovery picks pace in fourth quarter

_65939751_156238166.jpg

Thailand's factories have seen a recovery from the floods in 2011

Thailand's economic growth exceeded expectations in the last three months of 2012 as it continued to recover from the previous year's devastating floods.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-21495707

Edited by Morakot

In regard to Thais being 1 generation from peasants, it appears the principles of peasantry are being reintroduced to USA, UK and France as the world economy levels out. One of the worst aspects is soaking up unemployment by fomenting military causes which require more human fodder and then discarding the dregs of the military when their usefulness is ended.

USA, UK and France are going backwards in terms of the prosperity of their middle class which is sinking into a bottomless abyss.

I read this about 4 times and I still don't have a clue what you are saying here.

I have finally figured it out.

You sir... Have the brains of a biscuit tin.

• Like 1

_65939751_156238166.jpg

Thailand's economic growth exceeded expectations in the last three months of 2012 as it continued to recover from the previous year's devastating floods.

It's really only relative to what their 'expectations' were. Considering 'recovering from the floods set the benchmark it seems.

But all very good news all the same.

_65939751_156238166.jpg

This a major reason for current upward pressure on the Baht which will affect all those expats who are not long on Baht. I have been converting and holding all my foreign earnings in Baht since 2003 which has been greatly beneficial. My US dollar earnings from 2003 held as Baht are now worth 140% of their 2003 value.
  • Like 2

_65939751_156238166.jpg

This a major reason for current upward pressure on the Baht which will affect all those expats who are not long on Baht. I have been converting and holding all my foreign earnings in Baht since 2003 which has been greatly beneficial. My US dollar earnings from 2003 held as Baht are now worth 140% of their 2003 value.

So 3.4% PA compounded growth

Hmmmmm....

Edited by klubex99
  • Like 1

_65939751_156238166.jpg

Smart move, very smart - but how did you predict this? I never could have.

• Like 1

_65939751_156238166.jpg

So 3.4% PA compounded growth

Hmmmmm....

Try 3.4% if buried in a hole in the ground. However it is invested in Thai shares so worth very considerably more.