Emergency Measures For Power Shortage

Lite Beer

Emergency measures for power shortage

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- People may have to cut usage of electricity in April, minister warns

The Energy Ministry is preparing emergency measures for April to deal with an imminent shortage of power following disruption of gas supply.

newsjs

Energy Minister Pongsak Ruktapongpisal will hold discussions with relevant agencies next week to avert the crisis. The risk is significant, according to him, because Thailand will lose access to a huge amount of natural gas - a key energy source for the country's power plants - during that month.

April has usually seen peak power consumption in the country. As the Mercury soars, people usually turn on more of their air-conditioners in that month every year. While Thailand has made plans for adequate electricity supply, the country is facing a risk this year because its access to natural gas will be seriously affected from April 4.

"We will have to ask people and government agencies to save electricity," Pongsak said yesterday in the "Yingluck-led Government Meets People" programme.

The programme was broadcast via both Channel 11 television station and the FM92.5 radio station between 8am and 9am. Pongsak said Myanmar would be shutting down its natural gas fields temporarily to fix drilling rigs. The repair is due to start on April 4.

Pongsak said that the closure would deny Thailand daily access to 1,100 million cubic feet of natural gas. This will be a serious blow as Thailand has already been losing daily access to 270 million cubic feet of natural gas through the Thai-Malaysian gas pipeline whose anchor was accidentally hit and damaged late last year.

"Without natural gas supply from these two sources, the country's power-generation capacity will drop by 4,100 megawatts of electricity per day," Pongsak pointed out.

He said his ministry now planned to revive dormant power plants that relied on other sources of energy to cope with the loss of natural-gas supply. However, he said there was a risk that the move would not ensure adequate supply of electricity. "Power consumption in Thailand soars high when April arrives," Pongsak pointed out.

Last year, power consumption peaked on April 25 at a record 25,682 megawatts, according to the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand, as the temperature soared to 38.4 degrees Celsius.

Pongsak said his ministry would try to talk with Myanmar to see whether it could reschedule the planned repair of natural-gas drilling rigs during the Thai long holiday period.

In April, there are several official holidays for Chakri Day (April 6) and Songkran Festival (April 13-15).

Pongsak said the imminent power shortage is a reminder for all that Thailand needed to plan well its energy sector. He said that while it was good that non-governmental organisations speak up for the environment, activists should understand and not oppose a project if it was well planned and measures to minimise environmental impacts were in place.

"Hydroelectric dams, for example, are good. Apart from generating power, they will also prevent flooding," he said. Pongsak said his ministry at the same time would work on the development of renewable and clean energy such as wind and solar energy.

Why a power shortage?

Box

-Natural gas accounts for 68 per cent of energy source for power generation.

-Damage to the Thai-Malaysian gas pipeline has cut Thailand's access to 270 million cubic feet of natural gas per day.

-Temporary closure of gas fields in Myanmar will cut Thai access to 1,270 million cubic feet of |natural gas per day in April.

-Thailand's power-generation capacity is set to drop by 4,100 megawatts of electricity per day.

Source: Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand, the Energy Ministry.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-17

Why are they warning of disruption of supply when it's been known of the shutdown for months and it is not due to happen for a couple of months anyway?

Surely this is exactly the sort of thing that should be planned for. Something that it known about 6 months in advance should not come as a total surprise.

• Like 1

From what I read elsewhere this is an annual thing. Preventive maintenance. (Something Thailand does not do for the most part. blink.png ) But for some reason this year it's all gloom and doom for Thailand unless you cut back on your electric usage. Maybe Thailand can be the hub of power outages this year. whistling.gif

Yeah they butchered the units on this. normally electric usage is measured in watts/h.

but if they are being consistent in the usage of units

Peak usage was at 25,682 "MW", and TL will lose 4100 "MW".

The missing number here is what was the peak capacity of the system before the loss of the natural gas source?

Using the peak usage as the peak capacity

TL will be short by 16% of capacity.

What would really be helpful is if the officials could say how the average citizen could help conserve electricity.

Use fans instead of AC. AC is probably the singe biggest power hog in TL

Minimize opening of refrigerators. Refrig's are probably the second biggest hogs.

Minimize the use of CRT TV's

Turn off unnecessary lights.

turn off anything you are not using (every little bit helps)

Otherwise prepare for brown outs.

If a black out occur, do not open your refrig to keep your food safe longer.

Ect.

you cannot plan for this, it's not like a shortage of water and introducing a hosepipe ban, electricity is either there or not, if there is no fuel to run power stations then we are in deep dodo, rest assured Bangkok will be well supplied but the rest will suffer

you cannot plan for this, it's not like a shortage of water and introducing a hosepipe ban, electricity is either there or not, if there is no fuel to run power stations then we are in deep dodo, rest assured Bangkok will be well supplied but the rest will suffer

Even the sudden severence of a pipeline can be planned for but it needs an excess of supply probably uneconomical.

However, a supply deficit that is know about six months in advance should and can be planned for.

Well you can do as I did. Purchase a small portable generator, big enough to run the fridge (ice box for us old farts) to keep my Leo cold and the tv for the GF to watch the screaming soaps.

The power grid here in Udon is terrible. Every week the power goes off a couple of days for an hour or two and sometimes all day. During the rainy season they must have thunder sensors, after the first thunder there goes the power for a few hours.

If the government knows the availability of natural gas will decrease in April, and this happens every year, why is the government owned PTT Group exporting natural gas? What is the capacity of the gas platforms off shore in the Gulf of Thailand? In the English language it is called planning, in the Thai language it is called Plan Ning. Plan Ning is the Thai phrase meaning to stand at a rigid position and not move. Is this a plan of the government to cause an increase in the cost of electricity, LNG for cooking and vehicles?

Yeah they butchered the units on this. normally electric usage is measured in watts/h.

but if they are being consistent in the usage of units

Peak usage was at 25,682 "MW", and TL will lose 4100 "MW".

The missing number here is what was the peak capacity of the system before the loss of the natural gas source?

Using the peak usage as the peak capacity

TL will be short by 16% of capacity.

What would really be helpful is if the officials could say how the average citizen could help conserve electricity.

Use fans instead of AC. AC is probably the singe biggest power hog in TL

Minimize opening of refrigerators. Refrig's are probably the second biggest hogs.

Minimize the use of CRT TV's

Turn off unnecessary lights.

turn off anything you are not using (every little bit helps)

Otherwise prepare for brown outs.

If a black out occur, do not open your refrig to keep your food safe longer.

Ect.

no it it records Watt x hour.

Watt is the like the horsepower of your car. It can do a maximum of 150 horsepower, but if you drive steady on the highway 50 horsepower are used.

But not horsepower per hour.

Surely for people AC are the biggest user...I don't know what the ACs of big shopping malls eat.

Or interesting would be if Thailand has an aluminum production or steel heating with electric which uses huge amounts of electric.

As it is of gas why not better reduce the available gas for cars, they normally can switch back to gasoline and keep that for electric?

As Myanmar does this every year so why didn't they start some planing last year?

Have there been talks with Malaysia/Cambodia/Laos about purchase of electric?

Many questions.....

If the government knows the availability of natural gas will decrease in April, and this happens every year, why is the government owned PTT Group exporting natural gas? What is the capacity of the gas platforms off shore in the Gulf of Thailand? In the English language it is called planning, in the Thai language it is called Plan Ning. Plan Ning is the Thai phrase meaning to stand at a rigid position and not move. Is this a plan of the government to cause an increase in the cost of electricity, LNG for cooking and vehicles?

Now that is a silly question! Where would be the profit in using the own gas? You need to buy and sell so you can pocket a few percent....

On the oil some influential person in Dubai showed how to do it, by having a broker company and PTT need to buy everything from this broker instead of direct.....

Given this somewhat startling news that natural gas from Burma is a critical

part of the Thai energy " plan", I would think that Thailand would take somewhat

better care of Burmese refugees in order to not piss Burma off.

IE stop kidnapping and torturing refugees.....

Now just need to wait for a proclamation from TAT saying blackouts

will not affect tourism....

Edited by EyesWideOpen

What they need here is a subsidized solar scheme. If panels were subsidized and grid tied back to PEA the benefits would be substantial. Far better use of gov funds than a car tax rebate!

There is a paltry scheme of sorts, but it only applies to 5,000 w. systems and larger, and few know about it. It's possible this 'sky is falling' news is hoped to get Thais receptive to EGAT's nuclear ambitions.

What they need here is a subsidized solar scheme. If panels were subsidized and grid tied back to PEA the benefits would be substantial. Far better use of gov funds than a car tax rebate!

There is a paltry scheme of sorts, but it only applies to 5,000 w. systems and larger, and few know about it. It's possible this 'sky is falling' news is hoped to get Thais receptive to EGAT's nuclear ambitions.

Could be. Also to get support for the Mekong dam project.

Still the reports are that the gulf or thailand natural gas reserves will only last 12 more years. But i recall hearing similar claims about the US reserves. Its hard to know what the truth is.

LNG and Oil alternatives are reported to be 3x more in cost. Maybe some incentives to hep with insulation inefficiency is in order?

One thing for sure. An uncertain energy situation is not going to help lure more manufacturing business.

• Like 1

Can you tell me the particulars of that scheme? 5000 watts is a fairly large system for a house though......

• Like 1

I live in Pattaya on Pratamnak Soi 5 near the beach. Many days the huge power-sucking spotlights shine all day. And most of the lights are hidden by tall trees and do no good all night. Perhaps energy conservation could start by having the government do proper maintenance in their own property. Personally I was taught by my parents to turn off the lights when I left a room. I am 100 % for conservation.

It's pretty simple, really...

Just a matter of capturing all the unadulterated hot air that comes out of the mouths of the various government officials here, and Thailand would have more than enough power fror the entire country...

Right now, all that hot air just goes sky-ward and contributes to global warming -- the same way cow flatulence does. The two things are kinda similar, if you think about it.

I have posted this on nearly every story to do with flooding and energy, but here it is again:-

I am Water Engineer. During the floods of two years ago I came up

with a design, the National Flood Prevention System.

I attended many seminars and conferences, meeting with AIT, an

exclusive gathering organised by Chulalongkorn University with AFD,

Agence Française de Développementalent, equivalent to US Aid also

attended by the Interior Minister's personal secretary.

On 18 January 2012, I met Khun Plodprasop. now Deputy Prime Minister

and who chairs the government's Water and Flood Management Commission

(WFMC), at the opening of the Polar Exhibition at the New Science

Museum. I had the opportunity of explaining to him and his well

educated aides who all spoke excellent English thereby understanding

the concept the National Flood Prevention System.

Further, I recently met again Colonel Artcha Boongrapu, an old

acquaintance of some 20 years and to whom I explained the broad

concept last year. He recently emailed me requiring further info.

Here is a copy of the text I sent him:

''Hi Artcha

Thanks for getting in touch.

Please view this link:

http://practicalacti...hydro_power.pdf

This is not exactly my design but it shows a micro system which can be

enhanced and

extrapolated to a national level

My design is upping the parameters and developing a system throughout the river

and tributary system monitored and controlled by satellite.

It will store water in individually designed retention reservoirs,

provide hydro power through a turbine

which can pump water back up to farmers to enhance irrigation for

second crop and send excess power to the grid.

If developed over the entire country it distributes wealth and

productivity and removes the prospect of flooding forever.

This would provide security for the population, government and

industry for future investment.

It generates additional power to the grid thus reducing gas purchases

from neighbouring countries to the point perhaps of self sufficiency

and even exportation of power.

Practical Action are prepared to do a pilot with the Ministry of

Finance in Nepal.''

My design is similar but the riverside structures would be located

above the flood high water contour. The reservoir would be designed

according to hydrological studies which the Thai government has for

many regions if not all.

Although my design uses Retention Reservoirs rather than dams, one

type of general construction is based on the earth dam concept:

http://www.lboro.ac....-earth-dams.pdf

The large number of construction projects distributes wealth to local

companies and labour.

By investing in the local infrastructure, the increase in living

standards may have additional social benefits.

Girls may be less inclined to go to 'work' in the cities and thus may

have an impact on reducing HIV/AIDS

Hope that expands the concept sufficiently for you.

I am in general donating it to world to be used and adapted as required.

You may use any or all of the above to help spread the ideas.''

Last year while in Nepal, I met with the Minister of Finance and in

Bhutan, the Minister of Agriculture and Forests.

Both were interested in the design.

This design, the National Flood Prevention System, is exactly what it

says it is. It is not a flood control system but a flood prevention

system.

Instead of regarding the additional water as a major problem, the

design accommodates it as a great additional resource.

As a System, it must be developed as such throughout the entire river

and tributary system in a coordinated and cohesive manner.

National implies government control. The only way this can work is by

strong political will steered by a strong government who can make bold

decisions.

The National Flood Prevention System is fully flexible and can be

applied and adjusted to any country. The principles remain the same.

Working with nature rather than against it. Using the water as a

resource rather that allowing to act as a destructive force.

I have been a civil engineer for over 40 years, more than 30 years in

developing countries. I have been a member of RedR, Register of

Engineers for Disaster Relief since 1985.

This may be passed on by any one to any one who has influence.

Thank you for your consideration.

Could be. Also to get support for the Mekong dam project.

Still the reports are that the gulf or thailand natural gas reserves will only last 12 more years. But i recall hearing similar claims about the US reserves. Its hard to know what the truth is.

LNG and Oil alternatives are reported to be 3x more in cost. Maybe some incentives to hep with insulation inefficiency is in order?

One thing for sure. An uncertain energy situation is not going to help lure more manufacturing business.

There are soooooo many things Thais can do to lessen their waste of electricity, it's hard to know where to start. It's like trying to explain to a 4 year old why she doesn't need to run a water tap full bore for 2 minutes to rinse a cup.

The Thai government might consider implementing things like better building codes. All new construction in Thailand still uses single pane windows. All new construction is still only 7mm thick brick or concrete with ZERO insulation. Get rid of these silly single room split air conditioners, I spend more on electricity here in Thailand to keep a small house cool at 28c than I spent in Florida to cool a large home to 23c.

The other thing Thailand could do, is set up power plants that burn trash for fuel. And of course educate the people to stop throwing trash on the ground.