Stupidity Of Thai Universities

yourauntbob

I would imagine that the correct Surname will also be influential in who gets into certain Universities

This is true in many countries. America for example - when applying for university you are asked if any relatives have graduated from that uni. George Bush junior went to one of the best unis and I'm sure he didn't pass the entrance.

Ordinarily, given that despite being absolutely no admirer whatsoever of Bush I think people claiming he is an idiot are being simplistic and bigoted, I would ask you how it is that you could be sure of such a thing - but in fact, you are in essence correct: Pres. Bush scored a 566 on the verbal SAT and a 640 on the math SAT -- 180 points below the median score for his Yale classmates and he had been advised by the deans at Andover prep (super posh secondary school he attended) that he should apply somewhere other than Yale. Interesting fact about that: not only was both his father and grandfather alumni but that very year Yale had decided that though being a legacy wasn't necessarily going to count for as much as it used to, WHO the alumni relatives were (ie their power/ status) - and how much they spent on the school - mattered. Bush's dad and grandfather more than met the requirements in both regards.

And guess what? When GW Bush was president he spoke out AGAINST the legacy system...oh, wait no he didn't - he was against affirmative action - that's much worse, isn't it?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

• Like 1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And guess what? When GW Bush was president he spoke out AGAINST the legacy system...oh, wait no he didn't - he was against affirmative action - that's much worse, isn't it?

Same in the UK but called 'preferred places'

Just in case it wasn't clear - I was being about facetious about Affirmative Action being worse...

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Educators can be stupid. Sorry, but they aren't the brightest of the bunch or they would be doing brain surgery.

Einstein was kicked out of what we would call grade school because they classed him as "retarded." His mother knew better and home schooled him. Then he couldn't get into a good Uni so he took what he could get.

Then he began to write and publish his papers and got recognized. Then every uni wanted him. He wound up in the States teaching and studying. We all know the rest of the story.

Even then, he didn't wear socks because he couldn't remember to mate them and got tired of being laughed at for having mismatched socks.

People are often judged by the wrong standards, even in the West. I have a wonderful neighbor boy in the US who is so bright that he was allowed to go to uni at age 16. But, he stayed at home, and the uni classes were chosen to be acceptable to complete high school. He was studying chemistry, statistics and one other difficult science all in the same term at uni, and got high grades. This is the only such child I've ever heard of. He is also emotionally mature and has wonderful people skills, so this also made it possible. This Spring he graduates from high school with 2 years of uni also completed.

I hope your girl student finds a good path. I think she can if she doesn't give up.

Not entirely true. Einstein was admitted and studied in one of the most prestigious universities at that time: The Swiss Polytechnical Highschool (ETH) in Zurich. After he graduated in Physics, his professor would not recommend him as an assistant, so he took a job at the Swiss Patent Office in Bern as an examiner and in his free time he published his Special Theory of Relativity.

Don't know, man, I came here directly from China after getting my degree in Classical chinese literature, language and culture, here I saw that If you graduate from a Thai University you could get a job and even citizenship whithout so many difficulties so I applyed to Ramkhamhaeng University( first used one year to learn Thai language, of course) did my entrance exams and got my place to study Business Administration and graduated last year, with honoursbiggrin.png , so I just dond't know, but yes, is difficult to access to high education, I personaly think that though ur student gpa was good it was not high enough, but who knows! She can always go to Rangit or to any other university, my wife had the same problem but with Kasesart and she when to Rangsit instead thumbsup.gif

Don't know, man, I came here directly from China after getting my degree in Classical chinese literature, language and culture, here I saw that If you graduate from a Thai University you could get a job and even citizenship whithout so many difficulties so I applyed to Ramkhamhaeng University( first used one year to learn Thai language, of course) did my entrance exams and got my place to study Business Administration and graduated last year, with honoursbiggrin.png , so I just dond't know, but yes, is difficult to access to high education, I personaly think that though ur student gpa was good it was not high enough, but who knows! She can always go to Rangit or to any other university, my wife had the same problem but with Kasesart and she when to Rangsit instead thumbsup.gif

Ramkhamhaeng is an open university and one of the easiest to get into- cash and still alive, that's about it..I know of a few famous Thai's that got their 'degree' from there but who actually did next to nothing to get them. The educational system here is a farce. if you think you can get Thai citizenship without many difficulties you are living in dreamland.

Edited by sms747
  • Like 2

Ramkhamhaeng is an open university and one of the easiest to get into- cash and still alive, that's about it..I know of a few famous Thai's that got their 'degree' from there but who actually did next to nothing to get them. The educational system here is a farce. if you think you can get Thai citizenship without many difficulties you are living in dreamland.

Of course it is easy to get into. Anyone who finished high school can become a student there. However, before you start ripping it apart, look at the figures of people who actually graduate. Only 10 percent of students who start studying law actually graduate. There are similar figures from some of the other faculties too. While a lot of the first year subjects are subject to multiple-guess examinations and one only needs a half decent memory to pass, second year examinations for the most part require a good understanding of the subject matter and full detailed written responses.

To graduate from these open univeristies, you need to be self motivated, and really apply yourself as it invloves a lot of solo study. Very different from most of the "closed" universities, where everything is spoon fed towards passing exams.

I'm told by my friends who happen to be lawyers that law degrees from Ramkhamhaeng are well regarded.

• Like 1

Don't know, man, I came here directly from China after getting my degree in Classical chinese literature, language and culture, here I saw that If you graduate from a Thai University you could get a job and even citizenship whithout so many difficulties so I applyed to Ramkhamhaeng University( first used one year to learn Thai language, of course) did my entrance exams and got my place to study Business Administration and graduated last year, with honours , so I just dond't know, but yes, is difficult to access to high education, I personaly think that though ur student gpa was good it was not high enough, but who knows! She can always go to Rangit or to any other university, my wife had the same problem but with Kasesart and she when to Rangsit instead thumbsup.gif

Of course it is easy to get into. Anyone who finished high school can become a student there. However, before you start ripping it apart, look at the figures of people who actually graduate. Only 10 percent of students who start studying law actually graduate. There are similar figures from some of the other faculties too. While a lot of the first year subjects are subject to multiple-guess examinations and one only needs a half decent memory to pass, second year examinations for the most part require a good understanding of the subject matter and full detailed written responses.

To graduate from these open univeristies, you need to be self motivated, and really apply yourself as it invloves a lot of solo study. Very different from most of the "closed" universities, where everything is spoon fed towards passing exams.

Is always good to see that in this forum there are still persons who know what they are talking about,like garry P, when i when to ramkhamhaeng i took an entrance examination of thai language and math( very simple btw) and i passed it, and yes, must of people that started with me couldn't finish, cuz you must to study really hard and know well the subjects(i am talking about the Thai program, not of IIS), thanks to my training in ramkhamhaeng and to my chinese now i am enjoying a really nice job and a very easy life, so thanks ม.ราม wai2.gif Edited by Om85
  • Like 1

Of course it is easy to get into. Anyone who finished high school can become a student there. However, before you start ripping it apart, look at the figures of people who actually graduate. Only 10 percent of students who start studying law actually graduate.

Don't think I ripped it apart as much as you did, 10% graduating is law is clearly an indication that they take on anybody, and that most of them are either not capable, or not motivated enough to succeed. Absolutely shocking figures. They are wasting the students time and their own, but i imagine they are only interested in the income from enrolment. Any good university should NOT be that easy to get into, or what's the point?

Edited by sms747

It's a government run open university; they're supposed to give everyone a chance at higher education and if you don't put in the commitment nobody is going to force you to, hence the high attrition rates.

Edit : samran beat me to it.

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 1

Jayroo, on 23 Feb 2013 - 21:45, said:

haha "Chula" sounds like a latin babe. thumbsup.gif

haha you sound like an ignorant dude.

You could've flattered our own powers of observation by leaving that unsaid, and we might've mistaken you for a gentleman

SC

• Like 1

You could've flattered our own powers of observation by leaving that unsaid, and we might've mistaken you for a gentleman

SC

True. But I'm not one for flattery or for taking credit where it's not due.

And almost always, my posts are all about ME (and my amusement).

SC

True. But I'm not one for flattery or for taking credit where it's not due.

And almost always, my posts are all about ME (and my amusement).

You speak for us all, there

SC

• 7 months later...

My kids are 3 and 1 but not in a million years will they do their high school or university years here. What are you guys thinking, get your kids out of Thailand for a decent education unless you need them to be HOD of Tescos!

• Like 1

My kids are 3 and 1 but not in a million years will they do their high school or university years here. What are you guys thinking, get your kids out of Thailand for a decent education unless you need them to be HOD of Tescos!

Dug up an 8 month old thread to deliver that little nugget of wisdom? My kids will be fine because they have engaged parents. Yours? Well, good luck with that.... The world needs bus drivers too !

Dark Knight: I don't get you. Good luck with what, getting my kids out of Thailand for a well rounded internationally accepted education? Look if you aspire to be a bus driver or for your kids to be then go for it, as you say we need them and if the government gets its way then more train drivers will be needed too. As "engaged" parents you're probably engaging Thai Rail to get yourself truly engaged.

Nugget of wisdom?? I haven't even been involved in this thread until now (let alone 8 months ago!) but if people like you populate it then perhaps it's been for a good reason.

• Like 1

Dark Knight: I don't get you. Good luck with what, getting my kids out of Thailand for a well rounded internationally accepted education? Look if you aspire to be a bus driver or for your kids to be then go for it, as you say we need them and if the government gets its way then more train drivers will be needed too. As "engaged" parents you're probably engaging Thai Rail to get yourself truly engaged.

Nugget of wisdom?? I haven't even been involved in this thread until now (let alone 8 months ago!) but if people like you populate it then perhaps it's been for a good reason.

The dark night works for a Uni here in Thailand. This makes him highly sensitive to the reality of "higher" education in Thailand. He does work for the one University I still have some respect for, but his willingness to defend the Thai universities in general is a bit troubling.

Stradavarius, please take no disrespect from the following statement because it is not meant to be disrespectful. It may be time for you to work a year or two outside the country to get a perspective of where Thailand really stands.