Funeral Dress Code

diddums

Depends...... Hiso?, Loso?, Bangkok?, upcountry?. More info req'd. Black not necessary, but definitely no bright colours.

This^^^^

If some up country or lower class then there will be plenty in shorts and t-shirt or whatever they have, but you will look like a cheap farang.

If middle class or hi-so make sure you wear at least a dark suit, white shirt , black tie and shoes.

Buy or borrow some if you don't have any.

Suit....cheesy.gif .....would rather stay home....I have never worn a suit, well just the once, but ended in divorce.

Don't own a tie either.

No black shirt.

Not going out to buy a special outfit for a dead guy.

I'll wear white pants and a nice striped blue shirt....and sandals....but brown sandals.

• Like 1

My wife is going to a funeral tommorrow. I'm staying home to take care of the dog, and an owl she brought home. She stocked us up with food, and a case of beer. I think we'll be alright.

An owl...where did she get that...I want one.

Suit....cheesy.gif .....would rather stay home....I have never worn a suit, well just the once, but ended in divorce.

Don't own a tie either.

No black shirt.

I'll wear white pants and a nice striped blue shirt....and sandals....but brown sandals.

Maybe you should just stay home so no more fashion crimes are committed :)

Don't own a tie either.

No black shirt.

Maybe you should just stay home so no more fashion crimes are committed smile.png

Yes I agree.

Would not want to offend the corpse.

Fashion at a funeral...heard it all now...cheesy.gif

• Like 1

My wife is going to a funeral tommorrow. I'm staying home to take care of the dog, and an owl she brought home. She stocked us up with food, and a case of beer. I think we'll be alright.

An owl...where did she get that...I want one.

Fell out of the nest. The three of us will be dressing casual.

• Like 1

I have only been to village funerals and there really doesn't seem to be any dress code for the majority of the attendees.

However, those of standing will wear their uniforms. Anyone that is perceived as HiSo will dress respectfully.

If a Farang shows up in shorts and flip-flops it will not be well received.

Been to hundreds of "upcountry" funerals and as a guest you cannot get away with shorts and flip flops. Wear at least a black shirt and jeans if you have them. Trousers would be better.

Hundreds of funerals ?

They must be fun events I guess. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Don't own a tie either.

No black shirt.

And what about when you're not at the oxford cambridge boat race ? Tally ho. tongue.png

Don't own a tie either.

No black shirt.

Maybe you should just stay home so no more fashion crimes are committed smile.png

Yes I agree.

Would not want to offend the corpse.

Fashion at a funeral...heard it all now...cheesy.gif

Someone who thinks dressing respectfully at a funeral is fashion... .... .. I think I've heard it all now !

OP: Close family and friends of the deceased will also see you, you are also being respectful of them.

Do your best with what you have and dress as respectfully as you can.

If you don't own shoes, dark trousers, white shirt and black tie, then perhaps a dark shirt and normal trousers and shoes would be appropriate. Shorts and T-shirt are obviously not.

You are a lucky man to have married a wife that knows her priorities. I just hope that you follow her instructions in respect to the care of the dog.

How did your wife get Harry Potter's companion, and shouldn't that poor creature be returned to the wild?

You are a lucky man to have married a wife that knows her priorities. I just hope that you follow her instructions in respect to the care of the dog.

How did your wife get Harry Potter's companion, and shouldn't that poor creature be returned to the wild?

It will, when it can take of itself

Been to hundreds of "upcountry" funerals and as a guest you cannot get away with shorts and flip flops. Wear at least a black shirt and jeans if you have them. Trousers would be better.

Hundreds of funerals ?

They must be fun events I guess. biggrin.png

Depends, bit depressing when a mother of two dies of breast cancer tho.

And yes, over 20 years living in a village and taking part in the community life equals hundreds. I stopped going to funerals where I didn't know anyone in the family. I would still never show up dressed disrespectfully but up to the OP on what kind of impression he wants to make and what kind of empathy he has for other human beings.

• Like 2

beer chang vest or the like

combat shorts with a load of pockets on them

sandals and a nice pair of black socks

Please wear the above, if you are one of the only foreigners there then many local people will notice you and have a good look, failiure to wear the above will alter the Thai stereotype of the Johnny Foreigner a.k.a farang thumbsup.gif