Staff Changes At Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration

LeCharivari

I went to Soi 5 for my 90 Day Report and my Retirement Extension today and I was pleasantly surprised by the speed and efficiency, and the pleasant attitude of the Thai staff - it took less than 30 minutes from the time I got my queue number soon after 11am to the time I was handed my ticket to collect my passport with the new extension, which was ready for collection the same day at 3pm (actually available at 2.30pm); similarly it only took about 15 minutes for my 90 day reporting to be done - all done with a smile and an unnecessary apology for making me wait.

The only disappointment was with the Information Desk - no change to the Thai Information Officer, who still spends his time inspecting his fingernails and ignores those who need advice or just a queue number, but unfortunately Barry Kenyon has retired (last week, apparently) and been replaced by a self-important "jobsworth" who insists on treating everyone as if they are illiterate (some are, most aren't), have never been to Immigration before (some have, some haven't) and personally checking all their documentation before finally and reluctantly giving them a queue number. This took nearly as long as it did for the actual application process, and while it may be necessary for some it was totally pointless as his pre-checks were consistently incorrect - I needed additional photocopies at the Retirement desk, as well as the documents he had removed and told me were unnecessary, the man in front of me needed his bank book and a letter from the bank (neither of which he had), and the one in front of him needed the inevitable extra photocopies.

Why can't they just let you collect a queue number, then if you need help you can ask for it? .... and why do they think a foreigner can do the job any better than a Thai, as the vast majority of the staff are perfectly capable and speak equally good English?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree entirely with the OP. I was at immigration last week for my retirement extension and re-entry visa.My time inside the office was somewhat longer due to a lot ahead of me at counters 1 and 2 for the permit. Nevertheless all the Thai officers were efficient and professional. I got my stamps as all my papers were in order.

However:

The information officer seemed stressed. Maybe the very tight winkle pickers he was wearing were uncomfortable. (For those not around in the 1960's that means shoes with pointed toes).

But worst of all was "jobsworth". Talk about self important. I don't believe his first language is English as his politeness skills are wanting and he was begrudging in giving me my queue ticket. Later when I was seated in the waiting area he was walking passed me staring at me and scowling.

i suspect he is something like ex police and treats others as criminals.

I would urge anyone who gets poor treatment from him to make a complaint to the head of immigration.

Its a pity they cannot bring back Barry Kenyon and I do wonder why these odd balls namely jobsworth get employed.

ps for the retirement extension they require prove of address(eg lease copy). Luckily I brought such a copy but some there did not and seemed to be taken by surprise.

Edited by R123

But worst of all was "jobsworth". Talk about self important. I don't believe his first language is English as his politeness skills are wanting and he was begrudging in giving me my queue ticket. Later when I was seated in the waiting area he was walking passed me staring at me and scowling.

I would urge anyone who gets poor treatment from him to make a complaint to the head of immigration.

Its a pity they cannot bring back Barry Kenyon and I do wonder why these odd balls namely jobsworth get employed. ....

You're right, he's not British although his English is reasonable, but speaking in a second language is no excuse. I also thought "police", but I thought that volunteer police was more likely given his attitude as his behaviour was more in line with a car park attendant who insists that you have to park in the lines even when the car park is empty. The only thing he has to offer Soi5 is making the Thai staff look even better by comparison.

"Why can't they just let you collect a queue number, then if you need help you can ask for it? .... and why do they think a foreigner can do the job any better than a Thai, as the vast majority of the staff are perfectly capable and speak equally good English?"

I think you will find that the reasoning behind the "pre-check" is to avoid wasting the immigration officer's time and making people wait unnecessarily in the queue whilst other people with lower ticket numbers are being told that they dont have what is needed. As such it is an excellent idea. The only drawback is that those who do the pre-checking dont appear to know what documents are actually needed. Even Barry Kenyon once told me that I didnt need a certain document (which I had with me) and was proven wrong by the immigration officer who asked for that same document a couple of minutes later, as I was sure he would.

As for the farang staff, I suspect that the Thai reasoning behind that is that farangs needing extensions etc might find it easier to take advice from someone of their own race. I suspect that is part of the reasoning behind the Pattaya farang police volunteers also, along with the language issues.

• Like 1

This rude "jobsworth" who doesn't speak English as his first language - he's not Russian is he??? The writing would really be on the wall then! sad.png

Anyway, either numbers of people have gone down or the service has improved. I renewed my retirement extension back in December and it took 3 hours. Glad to hear that it's getting quicker again.

The only disappointment was with the Information Desk - no change to the Thai Information Officer, who still spends his time inspecting his fingernails and ignores those who need advice or just a queue number,

That guy must be the biggest foreigner hater I've ever met in my life.

• Like 1

I was there yesterday afternoon too for my retirement extension. The young woman gave me a ticket as I picked up my form but she gave me the wrong ticket. I filled in the form outside.

I waited for a different queue to go down - only my 2nd extension and I thought they had changed desks - and as I went to that desk they took me to the correct one and I had my extension done almost immediately.

Genuine mistake on the young lady's behalf, I believe, as it was very busy.

All in all I was in and out in under an hour. I too saw, but did not have any dealings with that new 'helper'.

Have to agree that Thai male behind the desk does not seem very helpful at all. Had to deal with him before and it was a pain to do so. Barry was a great help last year when helping me on my first ever visit.

I went to Soi 5 for my 90 Day Report and my Retirement Extension today

I find this a little strange! If your applying an extension why do a 90 day report? I'm led to believe the fact that the extension was granted covers this reporting period.

After getting the extension we, here in Udon Thani, actually get a sticker placed in our passports reminding us when the next Report is due, which is 90 days from when the extension was applied NOT due. Any previous reporting timetables are zeroed.

Edited by bdenner

I find this a little strange! If your applying an extension why do a 90 day report? I'm led to believe the fact that the extension was granted covers this reporting period.

After getting the extension we, here in Udon Thani, actually get a sticker placed in our passports reminding us when the next Report is due, which is 90 days from when the extension was applied NOT due. Any previous reporting timetables are zeroed.

Extension and 90 day reporting are two sepperate requirements. One doesn't replace the other.

Extension and 90 day reporting are two sepperate requirements. One doesn't replace the other.

Jbrain is right !! Only the first (1st) extension counts as a 90 Day report. After that you are lucky if the 90 Day report date falls on the same date as the extension date, but with the 90 Days report you have 15 Days before and 7 Days after the reporting date to report.

If the new guy is +/- 65 years, with grey hair, his name is Robert, a native french speaking Belgian, was already " working" there before, mostly helping French and french speaking belgians, canadians and swiss.

I recently went to the Pattaya Immigration to pick up a form and this person you describe-dressed in a black T-shirt- argued with me about what i needed. I won. I hope next time I am there I do not have the same problem.

If the new guy is +/- 65 years, with grey hair, his name is Robert, a native french speaking Belgian, was already " working" there before, mostly helping French and french speaking belgians, canadians and swiss.

Correct - I preferred to avoid the nationality issue as I don't think it is relevant - unpleasant is unpleasant, whatever the nationality.

The only disappointment was with the Information Desk - no change to the Thai Information Officer, who still spends his time inspecting his fingernails and ignores those who need advice or just a queue number,

Its strange - he's probably been there longer than anyone else, yet despite doing the job where he should be relating to and helping foreigners the most he is the least helpful (in fact deliberately rude) and he does the least work.

I think you will find that the reasoning behind the "pre-check" is to avoid wasting the immigration officer's time and making people wait unnecessarily in the queue whilst other people with lower ticket numbers are being told that they dont have what is needed. As such it is an excellent idea....As for the farang staff, I suspect that the Thai reasoning behind that is that farangs needing extensions etc might find it easier to take advice from someone of their own race. I suspect that is part of the reasoning behind the Pattaya farang police volunteers also, along with the language issues.

I agree with the "reasoning", but the problem is not so much that he doesn't know what's needed (he will eventually learn, presumably), but that its deliberately wasting a great deal of time so he can look important. Many of those applying know exactly what's required and even if they don't most are capable of asking for help if they need it - instead he has less time to help those who need or want it as those who know what they are doing and just want a ticket are waiting in the same queue. In my case, for example, it took about 15 minutes for me to queue just to get my ticket and during that time there was no-one else at the Retirement desk - and one of the "work experience" girls did another pre-check on the way in any case!

Again, I agree with the reasoning that "farangs ... might find it easier to take advice from someone of their own race", but for 90% of the time he isn't giving advice - he's simply being obstructive and self-important.

Its strange - he's probably been there longer than anyone else, yet despite doing the job where he should be relating to and helping foreigners the most he is the least helpful (in fact deliberately rude) and he does the least work.

He is indeed at Pattaya immigration for at least 18 years, that I know of, and he has always been like this.

I think he's also one of the highest ranked in the immigration office.and maybe that explains his behaviour.

He is indeed at Pattaya immigration for at least 18 years, that I know of, and he has always been like this.

I think he's also one of the highest ranked in the immigration office.and maybe that explains his behaviour.

Have to agree, I was there yesterday doing 90 day reporting again, the Thai guy's face at the ticket hand out could turn milk at 50 yards!! As for the French language speaking foreigner along side him, I think they were made for each other. A little Hitler, and without doubt FPV.

One time it took me longer to get a ticket off him, than it did to get the extension, very rude and unhelpful man, he must live a sorry existence

One time it took me longer to get a ticket off him, than it did to get the extension, very rude and unhelpful man, he must live a sorry existence

Without a question, dealing with all that "high quality" tourists and expats from Pattaya would make me grumpy too....

Edited by CHdiver
  • Like 1

the thai guy at the front desk has been there 23yrs and has always been like that (i thought it was me who he did'nt like for some reason or other) he seems to have a real attitude so i try to ignore him and advise others to do likewise as you dont want a problem if it can be avoided.

• Like 2

I wouldn't mind a paperwork review by a person that was competent. Oddly my last extension I sort of tried to ask for a review of the papers but was shooed off with just the queue ticket. I find it concerning if the screening people might be screening out people who really should have a chance to see an actual officer. Also the last time I saw a Russian guy get chewed out in the screening, nothing for you here, leave Thailand. Actually the advice seemed correct but how many people are getting incorrect advice and prevented from seeing an officer when maybe they should have a chance to see an officer?

Edited by Jingthing

I agree entirely with the OP. I was at immigration last week for my retirement extension and re-entry visa.My time inside the office was somewhat longer due to a lot ahead of me at counters 1 and 2 for the permit. Nevertheless all the Thai officers were efficient and professional. I got my stamps as all my papers were in order.

However:

The information officer seemed stressed. Maybe the very tight winkle pickers he was wearing were uncomfortable. (For those not around in the 1960's that means shoes with pointed toes).

Its a pity they cannot bring back Barry Kenyon and I do wonder why these odd balls namely jobsworth get employed.

ps for the retirement extension they require prove of address(eg lease copy). Luckily I brought such a copy but some there did not and seemed to be taken by surprise.

i dont have a lease agreement as the house is in my wifes name i usually give them my internet bill, i hope its not changed cos i know they like to change a system that does'nt need changing.

i dont have a lease agreement as the house is in my wifes name i usually give them my internet bill, i hope its not changed cos i know they like to change a system that does'nt need changing.

I always use my internet bill also. Never had any trouble.

You might now :(

one of my guests went to do his extension and he is on month my month basis, so no contract, he gave them the bills and they refused it.

I made up for him a lease agreement, and problem was solved.

Best is to get some paper that says lease agreement. i do not think they even read it

You might now sad.png

one of my guests went to do his extension and he is on month my month basis, so no contract, he gave them the bills and they refused it.

Best is to get some paper that says lease agreement. i do not think they even read it

What if you own a condo ??

Bring copies of the Chanote ??

I now bring my Internet Bills and haven't had any problem, but if they change this bah.gif

I'm due (90 Day) beginning of March and I will let you guys know what happens.

Edited by MJCM

i have just realized that when i get my next 90 day the one after will come due while we are out of the country and we will not be back untill 14 days after i should report again ,anyone know the drill as this has never happened before.

You only have to report when you are 90 days in the Country, so when you are not here you don't have to (and can't thumbsup.gif )

But please note that the day when you come back into Thailand will be Day 1 so you have to report your address 90 Days after the day you come back !

Ps: Don't forget your re-entry permit wai.gif

You might now sad.png

I now bring my Internet Bills and haven't had any problem, but if they change this bah.gif

i have no idea, do not shoot the messenger. i only know what i have been told by the guest and what i have done for him.

As i said, they refused to accept any bills, receipts of rent payment or receipts from internet booking, nothing but lease agreement

i have just realized that when i get my next 90 day the one after will come due while we are out of the country and we will not be back untill 14 days after i should report again ,anyone know the drill as this has never happened before.

You only have to report when you are 90 days in the Country, so when you are not here you don't have to (and can't thumbsup.gif )

But please note that the day when you come back into Thailand will be Day 1 so you have to report your address 90 Days after the day you come back !

Ps: Don't forget your re-entry permit wai.gif

Thanks for that ,and the re entry will be done thanks again.thumbsup.gif

i have no idea, do not shoot the messenger. i only know what i have been told by the guest and what i have done for him.

As i said, they refused to accept any bills, receipts of rent payment or receipts from internet booking, nothing but lease agreement

After reading your post a bit better (wai.gif), I can understand why they would refuse this kind of "simple" paper work.

An Electricity or an Internet Bill in your own name would not necessarily prove that you live there but is more worth than a bill from rent payments. I could ask the shop on the corner (or even write my own) "Room Rent Bills", but an internet bill (in a foreigners name) from a Thai Company entity or the "Lease Agreement" you made is a contract and that is what (my guess) is enough to prove the Paper hunger from Immigration Officials.

Don't forget that a couple of years ago this wasn't even necessary but just because of some bad apples (who said they were living some where, and when the police came looking no one knew who they were) this has come into effect.

Regards

wai.gif

After reading your post a bit better (wai.gif), I can understand why they would refuse this kind of "simple" paper work.

An Electricity or an Internet Bill in your own name would not necessarily prove that you live there but is more worth than a bill from rent payments. I could ask the shop on the corner (or even write my own) "Room Rent Bills", but an internet bill (in a foreigners name) from a Thai Company entity or the "Lease Agreement" you made is a contract and that is what (my guess) is enough to prove the Paper hunger from Immigration Officials.

Don't forget that a couple of years ago this wasn't even necessary but just because of some bad apples (who said they were living some where, and when the police came looking no one knew who they were) this has come into effect.

Regards

wai.gif

Fully understand your point, HOWEVER, you could also change the condo/room/house but bring the old bill. I have noticed they do not really look or check the dates or anything.

I know when i report, i used my 5 year old lease, and they never asked. Last report, i used my business card from where i work and they were ok with it.

Might be the luck of the draw or may be the mood of the day :)

<snip>

HOWEVER, you could also change the condo/room/house but bring the old bill. I have noticed they do not really look or check the dates or anything.

<snip>

Maybe that is the reason why they invented the TM.28 form (Aliens to Notify Their Change of Address or Their Stay in the Province over 24 Hours) , also if you check into a new room the owner of the room should notify immigration (No idea of the form to use).

But my guess it's never enforced, but you never know. When I moved from my old Condo to my new own, I filled in that (Tm 28) form and gave it while doing my 90 Day Reports. The officer looked at it and asked me "why do you give me this" , I just replied " Change of Address Krab", he stamped and signed it and give me back the slip. blink.png

<snip>

I know when i report, i used my 5 year old lease, and they never asked. Last report, i used my business card from where i work and they were ok with it.

Might be the luck of the draw or may be the mood of the day smile.png

I will report back in approx 1.5 weeks after doing mine, but maybe things only have changed because of the new "helping hand" person behind the info desk thumbsup.gif

Edit :*/ I need a zpelling course wink.png

Edited by MJCM