Driver In British Cyclists' Fatal Road Accident Released On Bail

Lite Beer

There are areas of Thailand that are great for cycling. This is a newly built 100km+ road coastal in Chanthaburi.

DSCN26691-300x214.jpg

I see more cyclist around here than anywhere else in Thailand.

Many overnight at the free legal camp sites right next to the beach.

DSCN2595-300x214.jpg

They actually have signs for the riders, like sharp left bend ahead !!!

DSCN2672-300x214.jpg

http://bicyclethailand.com/bicycle-riding-on-the-chantaburi-coast/

13478891-bicycle-road-chanthaburi-thailand.jpg

Nice cycling lanes, shame the Thai drivers do not understand what it means, or they just abuse it anyway!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Worapong Sangkhawat, 25, who was seriously injured in the crash...

Never see him again, then.

Of course. The only reason he was detained at all was his collision with a tree seriously impacted his natural ability to flee the scene.

If the boot was on the other foot and a foreigner wiped out two Thai cyclists, he would be kept in jail and intimidated to cough up money, while they tried to force him to sign confessions in Thai without a certified translation. If British, he would be left without any meaningful help from consular staff, except with luck the loan of a Skype account to call relatives to wire out cash.

Edited by Arkady
  • Like 2

I felt both saddened and angered by the loss of these two bicyclists. However, after researching the 304 highway in the reported area of the accident, I came to the conclusion that the two had placed themselves into a high-risk situation by attempting to travel on the shoulder of a relatively high-speed 4-lane, divided highway. In my country, traveling on the shoulder of such a highway would have been illegal in any type of vehicle. In Thailand, I've seen motorbikes traveling on the shoulder at relatively low speeds as well. Highway shoulders are intended for emergency situations and not for extended traveling. An experienced and knowledgeable driver knows that just stopping on such a shoulder for any reason and for even a short period of time is extremely hazardous.

Maybe in your country (and mine) but not in Thailand. The shoulders here are always used by motorcycles as it's the safest place for them on the highways. They are also used by vehicles travelling in the wrong direction but that's a different story. Emergencies? No, just leave the car where it regardless of how much traffic congestion is caused.

I know this road pretty well (though the exact location of the accident has not been divulged yet as far as I have seen). It is part of the main route from Aranyapratet to Bangkok and it's not easy to stick to quieter roads. And are the rural routes any better, with drivers speeding, overtaking on blind bends etc. etc.

So, in short, I don't think the cyclists did anything wrong and the blame falls entirely upon the pick-up driver.

My girlfriend insists that the hard shoulders in Thailand are nothing more than motorbike 'lanes' and that motorbikes should remain in them as much as possible. How many Thais believe this? Maybe she is right? Thais have the uncanny ability to twist and get everything wrong! (The Thai Highway Code is in Thai so cannot verify this). But if this is the case the hard shoulder should provide cyclists and motorcyclists more safety than if it were treated by driver's as a lane only to be entered in emergency, i.e., drivers expect to see it used by motorbikes, and anything else that moves in Thailand! and therefore we wary of drifting into it.

I dont think there is anything wrong with cycling on a footpath/paved pedestrian area for safety or leisure as long as u ride slow enough to give way completely to all pedestrians so as not to endanger, intimidate, or frighten them. If it is so congested that this is not posible then I dismount and push my bike.

...............A very tragic accident, and my heart goes out to all those friends and loved ones that they have left behind.

If the motorbikes drove exculsively in the hard shoulder they would have to run the gauntlet of pedestrians, chickens, bikes, and cars entering the road. Aside from the fact that they are in infinitely worse condition than the first lane of the road, (which is normally in horrendous condition).

I'm struggling to come to terms that some people on this page are laying blame with the couple for having the audacity to cycle on the road! The driver was driving (probably at a ridiculous rate) not watching where he was going and mowed down two innocent cyclists and they're to blame? This couple had cycled through Iran and Afghanistan enroute to Thailand, they cannot hardly be accused of being stupid tourists who should know better, can they? Or have I missed something here?

Did you see their video? They probably pushed their luck several times on the trip including such things as hanging onto trucks with one hand on steep grades. On this particular leg their luck ran out. They could have been taken out by a vehicle that had a blowout and lost control or, more likely, a van or a bus with an overworked and snoozing driver.

There is a reason why highway shoulders in other countries are not used for traveling, except by scofflaws. It is called 'safety'. They may do it Thailand, but that does not make it any safer, does it?

When in Thailand, do as the Thai do ... and die as the Thai die.

I felt both saddened and angered by the loss of these two bicyclists. However, after researching the 304 highway in the reported area of the accident, I came to the conclusion that the two had placed themselves into a high-risk situation by attempting to travel on the shoulder of a relatively high-speed 4-lane, divided highway. In my country, traveling on the shoulder of such a highway would have been illegal in any type of vehicle. In Thailand, I've seen motorbikes traveling on the shoulder at relatively low speeds as well. Highway shoulders are intended for emergency situations and not for extended traveling. An experienced and knowledgeable driver knows that just stopping on such a shoulder for any reason and for even a short period of time is extremely hazardous.

As a bicyclist in Thailand (mainly central Bangkok), I am constantly aware of the potential for being run down from behind by an aberrant vehicle even if were traveling legally on the road. A motorcycle cop was mowed down from behind and killed by a speeding Ferrari on Sukumvit road not too long ago. On parts of Sukumvit Road (or any road) I seek the safety of the sidewalk if I feel the traffic is too fast and potentially dangerous.

I believe these two bicyclists had placed themselves into a high-risk situation, perhaps out of the lack of an alternative route. Or was it the hubris of having traveled for so many months on potentially dangerous roads?

For intercity traveling, I have a 26 inch folding bicycle that can be easily placed into the cargo compartment of a bus and would be used only for city bicycling at my destination. Bicycling on relatively high-speed roads even within a city I also consider to be high-risk.

I tell people that the essential of bicycling in Thailand is not being in the wrong place at wrong time. Placing oneself on the shoulder of a high-speed highway in any vehicle, especially for an extended period of time, is tempting fate.

I'm forming a conclusion that a lot of the vehicle deaths and injuries in Thailand are due to the negligence and arrogance of the vehicle operators themselves, compounded by other factors such as poor infrastructure and a lack of serious law enforcement.

Have you been on that bike trail that goes from Lumpini, over the Tobacco Authority, and at least to Soi 10? It's a nice walk.

I'm struggling to come to terms that some people on this page are laying blame with the couple for having the audacity to cycle on the road! The driver was driving (probably at a ridiculous rate) not watching where he was going and mowed down two innocent cyclists and they're to blame? This couple had cycled through Iran and Afghanistan enroute to Thailand, they cannot hardly be accused of being stupid tourists who should know better, can they? Or have I missed something here?

Did you see their video? They probably pushed their luck several times on the trip including such things as hanging onto trucks with one hand on steep grades. On this particular leg their luck ran out. They could have been taken out by a vehicle that had a blowout and lost control or, more likely, a van or a bus with an overworked and snoozing driver.

There is a reason why highway shoulders in other countries are not used for traveling, except by scofflaws. It is called 'safety'. They may do it Thailand, but that does not make it any safer, does it?

In the US, the "official" bike trail I use also runs on some highway shoulders. Never had a problem.

There are areas of Thailand that are great for cycling. This is a newly built 100km+ road coastal in Chanthaburi.

DSCN26691-300x214.jpg

DSCN2595-300x214.jpg

DSCN2672-300x214.jpg

http://bicyclethaila...antaburi-coast/

AMAZING....!!! I don't believe it???!? THIS is in THAILAND???

I believe it, although it looks like bicycle-path roulette to me so you won't find me on it any time soon.

As a bicyclist in Thailand (mainly central Bangkok), I am constantly aware of the potential for being run down from behind by an aberrant vehicle even if were traveling legally on the road. A motorcycle cop was mowed down from behind and killed by a speeding Ferrari on Sukumvit road not too long ago. On parts of Sukumvit Road (or any road) I seek the safety of the sidewalk if I feel the traffic is too fast and potentially dangerous.

I believe these two bicyclists had placed themselves into a high-risk situation, perhaps out of the lack of an alternative route. Or was it the hubris of having traveled for so many months on potentially dangerous roads?

For intercity traveling, I have a 26 inch folding bicycle that can be easily placed into the cargo compartment of a bus and would be used only for city bicycling at my destination. Bicycling on relatively high-speed roads even within a city I also consider to be high-risk.

I tell people that the essential of bicycling in Thailand is not being in the wrong place at wrong time. Placing oneself on the shoulder of a high-speed highway in any vehicle, especially for an extended period of time, is tempting fate.

I'm forming a conclusion that a lot of the vehicle deaths and injuries in Thailand are due to the negligence and arrogance of the vehicle operators themselves, compounded by other factors such as poor infrastructure and a lack of serious law enforcement.

Have you been on that bike trail that goes from Lumpini, over the Tobacco Authority, and at least to Soi 10? It's a nice walk.

Having lived on Sukumvit Soi 4, Soi 2 for three years I am very familiar with it and used it often to transit to Lumpini, Rachaprasong, Sala Daeng, etc. It was faster to cut through the Tobacco Monopoly to access Soi 10 and the Queens Park, Rama IV, etc.

But, alas, I have never walked it. I walk in Bangkok only when I want to do some serious, face-to-face shopping, if you know what I mean. I often use a bicycle for that too! It's much more efficient than walking.

Edited by MaxYakov

In the US, the "official" bike trail I use also runs on some highway shoulders. Never had a problem.

Right! One never has a problem until ONE HAS A PROBLEM!

A city cyclist speaks. Unfortunately, these cyclists were not illegaly traveling on a highway in your country but legally traveling on a highway in Thailand. They were killed by an irresponsible local driver. Thai motorways do have restrictions on motor cycles but Highway 304 isn't a motorway.

Highway 304 is virtually a 'straight-shot' with good line-of-sight, no sudden bends or inclines but it is admittedly a busy road. However, there is a paved hard shoulder that is legally used every day by motorcycles (going either way!) so not as hazardous as some of the roads the unfortunate couple probably encountered in China, northern Thailand or earlier in Kabin Buri province. The police have charged the driver; he hit them and not the other way around. There's no way the cyclists can be blamed for their own deaths.

• Like 1

i've cycled from bangkok along route 304 up past phanom sarakham dozens of times (just did a ride a few weeks ago along that route on the way out to sa kaew). its no more dangerous than any other road in thailand & i personally feel safer along that road (or route 305 up to nakhon nayok) than any road in bangkok--bangkok drivers' utter sense of entitlement makes them very dangerous. i feel safer once i'm out of bangkok (i'm scared sh*tless the first & last 10km in bangkok on any ride i take).

there are a few bad spots along 304, in particular the intersection with route 319 (just north of phanom sarakham, just before entrance to army base). inbound its downhill with a complicated set of turning lanes (i saw look of surprise on more than a few drivers faces), the outbound road surface is a mess so cyclists have to move over into traffic (asphalt is all buckled up into bike tire eating ruts). plenty of vehicular accidents there. if this accident didn't happen there, then it could have occurred anywhere & was just that, an accident. the cyclists certainly are not to blame.

and just FYI, its very bad form to ride your bike on the sidewalk. sidewalks are for people walking not people riding bicycles.

DSCN26691-300x214.jpg

DSCN2595-300x214.jpg

DSCN2672-300x214.jpg

I believe it, although it looks like bicycle-path roulette to me so you won't find me on it any time soon.

Yes, please stay in the city by all means.

I don't understand why it is wrong for cyclists to ride on the hard shoulder of a road like 304. As mentioned above, it's not a motorway, so where were they supposed to ride their bikes?

On the f....ing fast lane?

Edited by khunken

The hard shoulder (as well illustrated in the pics) is indeed the legally correct

and logical place for bicycles and scooters on main roads. The deceased

were mature and experienced touring cyclists. To blame the victim/s in this

tragedy is a sheer nonsense and an insult to their loved ones.

Free spirits on the open road ...

Rest in peace.

Well Dorothy, you're not in Kansas anymore. wink.png

DSCN26691-300x214.jpg

DSCN2595-300x214.jpg

DSCN2672-300x214.jpg

That's great but when a typical Thai driver reaches for a cap in the floor of his vehicle a cycling lane is a death trap. Thailand is attempting to copy western trends but to protect cyclists from Thai drivers you would need a guard rail separating the cyclist from the traffic.

• Like 1

From another report: "... the 25-year-old Thai driver, who was arrested at the scene on Wednesday, had reached down to pick up his hat from the floor of the truck causing the vehicle to swerve into the couple."

Cretin.

A hat is such an urgent necessity when driving a car. w00t.gif

Hope he was also wearing long pants as that is also a very important issue when getting a licence.

Not if it was a female whistling.gif

me thinks even cycling in the moo bahn is dangerous as there are idiots everywhere with no feel of responsability... the safest place on a bicycle in thailand is .... the gym

Until an idiot comes in and fiddles with the TV volume.

It's been picked up in the Thai media today (18/02/13).

Investigating police think the accident was caused by a combination of the Thai driver speeding and his falling asleep at the wheel.

The 25 year old driver from Udon Thai province claimed the accident occurred when he dropped his hat and bent down to pick it up.

Police have charged him with careless driving and he's out on 300k Baht bail.

http://www.matichon....6&subcatid=0600

http://www.khaosod.c...HdNaTB4T0E9PQ==

http://news.sanook.c...¸„าà¸à¸µà¹ˆ/

Well if,and thats a big IF,this ever goes to court,he has 3 cracks at the whip. He was either SPEEDING----- SLEEPING----- PICKING UP HAT ?????? But I do not understand how he could be picking up a hat if he was dozing off.

Why all this conjecture? The driver will say anything that he thinks may exonerate him, even just a wee bit.

Look at the picture of the two cyclists involved. They are visibly larger than the average motorcycle, there was two of them and they were moving much slower; in other words, they were quite noticeable. For whatever reason, the pickup driver didn't even see them despite it being the middle of the afternoon.

Forget about speeding, sleeplessness or drink or drugs or 'picking up his hat', he could be myopic and doesn't even know it.

DSCN26691-300x214.jpg

DSCN2595-300x214.jpg

DSCN2672-300x214.jpg

That's great but when a typical Thai driver reaches for a cap in the floor of his vehicle a cycling lane is a death trap. Thailand is attempting to copy western trends but to protect cyclists from Thai drivers you would need a guard rail separating the cyclist from the traffic.

That's what I was thinking also when I referred to it as 'bike-path roulette' in an earlier post (and took some heat for that post from someone). However, IMHO it is not so much an issue of 'Thai drivers' as it is a general issue of separation of high-speed and low-speed vehicles.

Apparently, there are 'Thai drivers' in countries other than Thailand. wai2.gif

Here is a quote from an article on bike-path safety in the Netherlands:

In Assen, the new standards require that cycle paths which follow the line of roads are separated from them by 2.5 metres. Where this isn't possible you will find a metal barrier is used, to provide a feeling of subjective safety as well as actual safety from crashing vehicles.

Article Link: http://www.aviewfrom...-of-safety.html

Why all this conjecture? The driver will say anything that he thinks may exonerate him, even just a wee bit.

Look at the picture of the two cyclists involved. They are visibly larger than the average motorcycle, there was two of them and they were moving much slower; in other words, they were quite noticeable. For whatever reason, the pickup driver didn't even see them despite it being the middle of the afternoon.

Forget about speeding, sleeplessness or drink or drugs or 'picking up his hat', he could be myopic and doesn't even know it.

Results of Inspection for the Presence of Conjecture in Post: None Found

Edited by MaxYakov

As an aside. Cyclists do annoy me .

In Brisbane I was walking on a cycle/pedestrian path and a guy was 40 metres in front of me. A cyclist went past me and I just knew something was going to happen, just one of those feelings.

The pedestrian in front of me had his earphones on ambling along and the cyclist was closing in on him fast, but so was a small bridge which mean there wasn't enough room for both of them.

I head the cyclist ring his bell. Good. But I also thought that the pedestrian with his earphones and music on wouldn't hear it so he kept walking, and the cyclist kept going. Cyclist came to a screetching halt when he realised the pedestrian wasn't stopping and there wasn't enough room.

Ensued an argument, as I was walking up to them the cyclist was going off his nut about the pedestrian not stopping or moving and the pedestrian not knowing what he was going on about as he hadn't heard the bell.

So as I saw it all happen and the other pedestrian had no idea what the cyclist was going on about I thought it necessary to put the cyclist in his place. I told him that yes he had rung his bell, yes he had given warning but THIS was a cyclist and pedestrian area and cyclists have no right of way at all. It is up to them to be sure the pedestrian knows things. Just ringing the bell and 'thinking' that is enough is not acceptable. The cyclest was in the wrong as also he was the one coming from behind and the pedestrian has right of way and he didn't move from his line, just kept his walk.

The cyclist didn't like it but that's the rules. Same as snow skiing. The person up the hill passing the others has to give way, no exceptions. Same as car, they are faster and coming from behind, must give way.

Unless those cyclists darted out onto the road to make a genuine accident then the driver of the car that is passing them is at fault. Give due care and attention.