Warn Tourists About Thai Driving Habits, Expert Says

webfact

"Some foreign news agencies have reported in a way that might make people think roads in Thailand are not safe. The government is concerned that it might hurt the country's image."

Since the minister most likely drives in a motorcade, I am sure he actually believes Thai roads are the safest in the world :-)

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The last sentance " Thaweesak said Thai people should ALSO improve their driving, what an ffffing joke. One of the most STUPID I have heard in a long time.....WARN tourists about Thai driving habits, another FFFing joke---

It should read--Please take extra care if you drive in Thailand as it is very dangerous. Driving tuition here is near non existant, like Air Asia slogan---anyone can fly------The roads here -slogan Anyone can drive.

I remember when I learned to drive (60s) you where told to think that all the other people driving where idiots so be careful good advice which has kept me safe so far

We are in the land of driving idiots so be extra careful

Before I retired from AT&T I received a million mile accident free jacket. I owe my driving success to the local fair in our little town each year. I love to drive the bumper cars. This taught me how to avoid accidents.

Good idea give them bumper cars at least it would be good fun and not to dangerous on saying that I remember many moons ago waiting my turn at the local fair that a adult who was in the car with his young child didn't realize his jacket was hanging out side the cab and of course you where getting bumped all the time anyway all of a sudden his jacket pocket burst into flames because a box of matches in his pocket had been bumped and friction done the rest.

Great fun.

• Like 1

"We are preparing to find measures to prevent accidents and promote road safety including providing English language traffic signs," he said.

cheesy.gif Like how?

Tell all the old boys from the farm they now have got to have driving lessons or licenses for that matter? Make the driving test for new drivers a REAL test. Maybe tell the Police it's one of their duties to get vehicles that aren't roadworthy off the road and to help motorists rather than scam them. The list goes on and on..

The best advice for road users in this country is; expect the worse, anything else is a bonus! Even if a vehicle is stationary, don't be surprised if it suddenly cuts in front of you. Just around the next bend, there is probably an OAP standing in the middle of the road so it's your fault if you hit them as they were around long before the road was! TIT

Just waiting for posts about everyone's experiences on the roads here, now that will be a good readthumbsup.gif

Okay, perhaps I have been lucky. I have visited Thailand 6 times now. Rented a car or had a car available to me each time. Brought an international driver's license with me and got an insurance policy. Never have had a problem. But, that said, I would drive very defensively and be 100% on all the time -- much like running "code" in a western city during rush hour. All those emergency driving courses pay off in Thailand.

What kind of warning are they going to give to tourist?

"WARNING! Some Thai drivers will reach down to the floor of their cab to pick up stray baseball caps, bottles of M150, and other things while driving at high speed."

Went past a red plated eco car the other day on the Bang Na Tradt who had a mini TV or phone playing TV stuck on the dash in front of her while driving.

Great idea...1. red lights: do not stop, drive faster....2. always speed, especially rich folks driving Mercedes & BMW's (don't worry the police will never stop them!)....3. Never drive thru a green light, always look first for those drivers who go thru red lights....4. Motorcycles never look, EVER!!!-watch out for them.....5. If you are in an accident it will always be your fault!!!!....6. If you are in an accident the police will do their best to NOT help you, they will try to get money from you, because it is your fault!....7. Best idea is to not come to Thailand...much safer!

As MESmith quite rightly posted, how about raising the standard of Thai driving to somewhat close to that of most western countries. And, if you are a tourist in Bangkok, don't think you can seek refuge from the traffic and bad driving habits on the pavement because you are just as likely to be knocked over by the motorcyclists using them as a short cut or to avoid stationery traffic.

• Like 2

I agree with much that has been said. There should be appropriate driver training in force for Thai drivers before they get their licences. The police should enforce the law and the roads should be in better condition. Holes in the roads cause many accidents due to motorcycles and cars trying to avoid them.

However, all of the above would cost money. Can you see those with the money giving it to save the lives of peons below? The cost of a Thai life, and even that of a foreign tourist, is near to zero in Thailand.

The majority of the people in this country (both foreigners and citizens) take advantage of the culture and have a unconcerned attitude towards traffic safety. We all complain about it, but at the same time condone it when we break the laws ourselves.

I've seen countless embassy cars violating traffic laws countless times, which gives ample reason for the rest of us to break them as well. I've also seen local Thai Police on motorcycles breaking traffic laws they are supposed to enforce themselves.

Catch-22, if traffic laws were strictly enforced 99% of us will complain about it. Lack of enforcement will lead to more sensless deaths.

As MESmith quite rightly posted, how about raising the standard of Thai driving to somewhat close to that of most western countries. And, if you are a tourist in Bangkok, don't think you can seek refuge from the traffic and bad driving habits on the pavement because you are just as likely to be knocked over by the motorcyclists using them as a short cut or to avoid stationery traffic.

Ah yes, the motorbike taxis in full view of the BIB, racing along busy pavements.

As tempting as it would be to ride 20km one way to the factory every day on a bicycle, I tried it a couple of times and realized that its not very fun, aside from the heat and grime its just too dangerous because of the lack of driver awareness. The rule here is that the driver(car, truck, motorcycle, even bicycle) is able to make driving decisions independent of others on the road, road conditions and so on. This isn't to say I don't enjoy driving here but when in Thailand, live and exist within their rules which are to roll the dice and hope for the best.

My teaching instructor advised me strongly NEVER to use a bicycle in Thailand. He said that it is the best way to get into harm's way, as all the drivers have no sense about how to keep their distances with a bicycle. Let alone see them on teh road.

I'd like to share my "Near Death Motor Vehicle Accident Experience"

As a sidewalk bystander motor vehicle victim. The motor cycle accident happened in Rayong happened about exactly one year ago. I went to Thailand to visit a girl friend whose parents own rubber tree plantations. She took me to see an outdoor village market in the area of rubber tree plantations. Although there were a couple of local police keeping things in order at the market. I and my friend were standing on a side of the road waiting for a clear traffic to cross the road.

First of all, I am careful and an alert person when it comes to cross any streets in Thailand. My friend and I waited until the road was clear and while my friend was taking me by the hand to cross the road together, at that very moment there was two motor cycles colliding at the opposite side of the road and a motor cycle lose its control coming directly toward me where I was still standing on the road side. At that second I thought I would be dead. I saw flashing of my family in my head and I was telling myself that my family would not know that I was dead in Thailand because my friend does not have any information about my family in USA.

This accident took place in less than 30 seconds but there were so many things occurred, that I could hear people around me were screaming when they saw the motor cycle lunging toward me. I saw the condition of an old beat up motor cycle coming toward me and I thought that the front mud guard would puncture my stomach. It happened so fast that I could not move away. it hit me in the stomach and I was thrown in the air and landed on my back to the ground. Fortunately where I was standing was a soft ground not an asphalt pavement. I did not have a neck injury or any internal damage but a sprained finger and bruises on my pelvic area.

The motor cyclist who caused the accident did not have a driver license and not even an insurance and his motor cycle condition did not meet the traffic law standard. Signal lights did not work, no front and back lights and no mirrors. The biker told the police that he did not have any money to pay me my medical bills. I went to have a check up at an emergency room at Bangkok Rayong hospital which costed me 5,500 THB. So I told the biker that I would let him pay me back monthly by setting up an installment agreement to pay 50 THB monthly. He did not pay me at all from the first month.

I called the man and his wife told me that he did not have to money to pay me because he spent it all on drinking. He gave me a fake address and I could not find him. The police said that if I really wanted to go after him, I had to take him to court but I had to hire a lawyer. The police could only take the accident report and there was not much the police could help me.

Ever since that accident, I have become paranoid and I hate crossing streets in Bangkok. I almost got hit at a zebra stripe crossing section a few times after the accident even though I had rights of way to cross streets where designated crossing signs. I hate walking on the sidewalks in Bangkok where so many bikers riding on the sidewalks and there are too many food vendors obstructing the flow of pedestrian. It is tiring to go out taking a walk in Bangkok nowadays.

Edited by BrooklynNY

Good idea

Good idea yes but how are they going to do it? How many tourists actually read the government travel advice websites? Handbooks maybe and why stop with a handbook on thai driving habits, lets extend the hand book about the scams and violence.

How to do it is for locals to create youtube vids or maybe a documentary explaining (according to Thai friends) that normal driving includes tail-gating, traffic lights mean little or nothing, you can speed and weave all over the road or pass on hills and curves and the police do not care but if you drive without a shirt you will get pulled over and fined with bribe on the spot, everybody has a gun in their car, in an accident the other driver will flee the scene, in event of an accident after being robbed you will be scooped into the open bed of a pickup truck and if you are close to dying it is possible that you will arrive DOA with some of your body parts missing and on the way to the black market. If what Thai friends have said is true and this is normal, all people deserve to know this because foreign drivers can not only be a danger to themselves, but also to innocent Thai motorists and pedestrians as well.

Speaking not as a motorist but as a bus passenger, an episode of traveling from Khonkaen to Bangkok one night in seat 1A saw the bus driver make the entire six-hour trip without once turning on the headlights. A call to the owner of the company brought the explanation that, "All my drivers are professionals," along with a refusal to address the issue as anything unusual.

Edited by unanimosity

I don't doubt that statistic. However, the one statistic that is not available is "how many Thais bought their drivers license?" This has been a rampant and pervasive situation for many years all over Thailand. Slipping some cash to the right person avoids taking the tests etc.. I know many, many Thais who have admitted to me they got their license this way. One person said she still had to take the actual driving test, but avoided all else. She said she had to re-do the parallel parking test many times, and still couldn't do it - but was awarded her license nonetheless.

- just a wild guess - maybe 30-40% of all Thai drivers?(quote)

judging by what I see on a daily basis in the Tesco Parking Lot where I live, I'd say 80%. The parking lot actually resembles a training school for wannabe drivers, except with no teachers present.

• Like 1

^Brooklyn, thanks for your story, and reminds me of a constant thing I see on the highways when I travel early in the morning, which I do every week. I have to travel for business and leave the house while it's still dark in order to get to morning meetings.

Very often, usually every week, I see old motorbikes on the highway with no lights of any kind. No taillights, sometimes no headlight, not even any reflectors (which would cost only 10 baht or so to buy and attach). These vehicles are extremely dangerous in the dark and for that reason I have two safety steps I always do:

1. I mostly only travel in the fast lane to avoid these motorbikes when it is dark early morning and;

2. I wear bright yellow shooting range glasses which help enhance the light.

You may ask, doesn't driving in the fast lane either make you drive faster or become a hazard for other drivers who wish to overtake?

Yes, I drive faster, and yup, there is always some nut who is going much faster coming up behind me.

There is a relatively simple rule to driving in Thailand for farangs, tourists or old timers.

When you get into your car, on your bike, scooter whatever just remember this

Every driver in Thailand is a drunken homicidal maniac, high on ya baa, possesser of no brain cells who is intent on killing you or maiming you at the very least.

he will pass you on the right or the left or if bigger he may try to drive through or over you, it is not a problem to him.

He believes most sincerely that it will NEVER happen to him and if he hits you or you hit him it is ALWAYS YOUR fault.

• Like 2

Hmmmmm...classic case of too little ...too late.

How about they warn all the Thai people that they are subject to notoriously bad drivers and driving practices when they buy a new vehicle and or venture out on to the roads of Thailand.

All new motor vehicle sales should come with "Buyer Beware" information explaining how they are are about to subject themselves to the many dangers of driving amongst their fellow Thai citizens.

For that matter the Thai government should force all the car sales companies to train all the new customers on road safety and defensive driving...rather than the usual offensive and agressive driving practices.

How about teaching Thais to drive properly before issuing a DL?

How about smacking hefty fines on those who pass on red traffic lights or drive up the road in the wrong direction - it is simply not acceptable to say "well this is how Thai's drive" so we (farangs) must take account of it.

We passed by as a bike travelling in the wrong direction collided with another bike going the correct way (it was quite a smash). I told my wife to u-turn but she said "no", many times people have stopped at the scene of an accident and been accused of causing it so we let the car following us deal with it!!

I was rather shocked by this but it shows the mentality of drivers in Thailand.

• Like 1

Posted Today, 09:35

snapback.pngMESmith, on 2013-02-19 07:17:29, said:

How about teaching Thais to drive properly before issuing a DL?

How many Thai drivers actually have real driving licences?????

How many Thai drivers actually ,, deserve '' real driving licences?????

I don't doubt that statistic. However, the one statistic that is not available is "how many Thais bought their drivers license?" This has been a rampant and pervasive situation for many years all over Thailand. Slipping some cash to the right person avoids taking the tests etc.. I know many, many Thais who have admitted to me they got their license this way. One person said she still had to take the actual driving test, but avoided all else. She said she had to re-do the parallel parking test many times, and still couldn't do it - but was awarded her license nonetheless.

judging by what I see on a daily basis in the Tesco Parking Lot where I live, I'd say 80%. The parking lot actually resembles a training school for wannabe drivers, except with no teachers present.

I know what you mean. I often see the smallest of cars maybe a Nissan March or something super-mini sized parked in 2 spaces or so close to next car that driver can't gain access. I must admit though, it does make me chuckle unless I can't park of course.

For the over 40's, I think the number is probably closer to 90%. The younger one's maybe 60.

Good idea

Good idea yes but how are they going to do it? How many tourists actually read the government travel advice websites? Handbooks maybe and why stop with a handbook on thai driving habits, lets extend the hand book about the scams and violence.

This article happens to be addressing a specific topic. Not scams and violence. However if you think that scams and violence are particularly dire in Thailand then you have lived an extremely sheltered life.coffee1.gif