Renewal Of Uk Passport In Thailand

Would like to pay for this by bankers draft in Hong Kong Dollars but cannot find a bank in Nong Khai who can supply this. The only other way is by credit card. It will be sent by EMS but I am very concerned about sending a signed authorisation credit card form through the post, would others consider this a risk or not?

Thanks

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might depend on where your card was issued.

I have two cards, VISA & MC, both U.S. issued, I don't worry much at all about fraudulent charges as I'm pretty well protected by the U.S. credit card laws and rules. Indeed, 20 years back had two cards stolen and over baht 100,000 in charges run up on both. Reported the problem, cost to me was zero, zip, nada, nothing, other than postage, that is.

Mac

I have two cards, VISA & MC, both U.S. issued, I don't worry much at all about fraudulent charges as I'm pretty well protected by the U.S. credit card laws and rules. Indeed, 20 years back had two cards stolen and over baht 100,000 in charges run up on both. Reported the problem, cost to me was zero, zip, nada, nothing, other than postage, that is.

Mac

Mac

The card in question is a HSBC UK credit card.

I did this last year and used DHL following advice on the passport website; they had a reduced rate for passport applications. No mention of it now, but the embassy website still shows a link for a list of DHL service locations on the passport advice page. It's got be safer than EMS.

A friend of mine renewed his passport last year and was told that the office in HGK only accept a CC for payment even though he had a UK debit card, so a bankers draught will not do unless they have changed their payment terms.

Not having a CC himself, he had to ask his brother in the UK to make the payment on his behalf.

He also used DHL (Khorat office) without any problems.

The requirement that the applicant for a passport must own a credit card would appear to be a limitation on the exercise of the right covered by article 13, paragraph 2 of the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights:

Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

Source: United Nations universal declaration of human rights.pdf

If you send via EMS, then how does the passport get sent back to you?

Sorry, just that I'm in the process of making my UK passport renewal. I am in Chiang Rai which does not have a DHL office (closest is Chiang Mai) and I don't yet understand the whole process.

Thank you!

No requirement to own a CC, the draft option should work if you can get one meeting the requirements. Here https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

What the passport renewal site does say is that debit cards may not work although most marked as Visa or Mastercard should be fine. EDIT I can't find the note regarding debit cards now, typically the site has changed.

To Johnpc. I applied using EMS to HK, passport was returned by DHL.

I recently renewed my passport using a bankers draft with no issues at all. Turn around was 10 days from start to finish using DHL. The passport was returned from London with DHL.

If you send via EMS, then how does the passport get sent back to you?

Sorry, just that I'm in the process of making my UK passport renewal. I am in Chiang Rai which does not have a DHL office (closest is Chiang Mai) and I don't yet understand the whole process.

Thank you!

Not at all sure anyone understand the whole process. myself renew last year, sent all to H.K. via EMS, signed the form for using my Thai debit card from BKK Bank......... 2 days later money went from the debit card, 3 days after this the EMS tracking on-line showed the package arrived at the UK Embassy in H.K.......!!

You hear nothing at all......... day 22 got an email from Vietnam DHL, to say package had arrived !!?? **? and would be sent next day to arrive in Bangkok... sure next afternoon got an email from DHL Bangkok. only with a different DHL tracking number !! No idea ??

NO they would not deliver, NO they would not send to a nearer DHL Depot, this was also asked by a Thai so could be NO misunderstanding.. So must collect + must have proof of address + copy of Passport...

That was not the end...... 100 km each way to this DHL Office = was 2 x package 1x with the Vietnam tracking number and 1x with the one Bangkok had sent, . so needed 2x proof of address and 2x passport copies......

1x package had my new passport the other same size package had a single direct debit payment slip in it.........Why did I need to pay shipping for another package ? I did not even have tracking number for ?

and NO I don't yet understand the whole process and a still do not, what a cock up way to run a Business... Passports are important, how difficult would it be for H.K. to sent an email ? how difficult for UK to send an email ? and give tracking number ???? what is the point of using DHL and a tracking number if you do not even get given the said number.

What a shambles and cock up way to run a Business. the only + is it did arrive and appears most Passport do arrive.

Edited by ignis

And if you have an 'extension' that needs to be transferred to the new passport, and you use an immigration office that requires a 'please transfer letter from the British Embassy' you have to go to Bangkok in person with both passports to get it. The letter is free. Why you cannot send both copies of both passports by post seems utter madness.

Thanks to all that have replied. I agree with a lot of comments it is a total utter shambles. What is also very concerning that once they receive the passport in Hong Kong then apparently its cancelled and you cannot travel on it no more, however you are not informed of this. So in the event of a emergency whilst waiting for said passport and requiring you to go back to the UK then you have to shell out another 5000 baht for a emergency passport which I understand you have to specify date of travel and even booking reference on, miss that and its not valid. So the UK government in its infinite wisdom expect a UK citizen that wants to renew his or hers passport to send confidential details to a non UK country or obtain a bankers draft in Hong Kong dollars all over Thailand in naken nowhere. I thought we were living in the 21st century have they never heard of a bank to bank transfer, or is it the case that this has too much of a paper trail! Also why is it the payment is made in Hong Kong when all they do is check the paperwork before sending to the UK where the passport is processed, printed and sent back. Totally different subject I know but our wonderful illustrious leadercheesy.gif I read was promising Indians a visa within 24 hours two days ago. If the powers that be can do that then surely they can come up with a better system for ex pats to renew their passports.

Actually you are informed from my check a minute ago as during the application process you get this:

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

Don’t book travel until you have a valid passport. If you need to travel urgently, apply for an Emergency Travel Document at the British embassy in Bangkok. You will have to pay for the document.

14 Wireless Road

Lumpini, Pathumwan

Bangkok 10330

Office hours (Local time):

Mon-Thurs: 08:00-12:00 / 12:45-16:30

Fri: 08:00-13:00

In an emergency out of office hours please dial +66 (0) 2 305 8333 and follow the instructions.

No requirement to own a CC, the draft option should work if you can get one meeting the requirements. Here https://www.gov.uk/o...ewing_new/adult

What the passport renewal site does say is that debit cards may not work although most marked as Visa or Mastercard should be fine. EDIT I can't find the note regarding debit cards now, typically the site has changed.

No requirement to own a CC, the draft option should work if you can get one meeting the requirements. Here https://www.gov.uk/o...ewing_new/adult

Yes understood but the bankers draft has to be in Hong Kong dollars probably that okay in Bangkok but for those living in Naken Nowhere its impossible. Went to several banks yesterday "no have" was the response. My own gut feelings is that they have deliberately made it has difficult has possible using the draft payment method. They can then charge your credit card with the current exchange rate on the day paid.

Hi

Can I have my extension to stay transferred to my new passport at a different office in thailand from the one From which it was issued.

Extended in rayong but wish to transfer if possible in Bangkok.

Thanks

Ps. 3 weeks still waiting for passport or notification from dhl of delivery date.

<deleted>?????

Download forms from website.

Complete forms.

Attach photo(full details given on website)

Complete payment form (debit cards from Thai banks are OK).

Put forms in envelope with COPY of passport.

Go to post office and send to HK by EMS.

Wait about 12-14 days.

New passport arrives.

Where is the confusion and shambles ?

Also it clearly states that the passport will be cancelled electronically as soon as the application is approved. You have to physically cancel it by cutting off the corners AFTER you have received the new one.

<deleted>?????

Complete forms.

Wait about 12-14 days.

New passport arrives.

Also it clearly states that the passport will be cancelled electronically as soon as the application is approved. You have to physically cancel it by cutting off the corners AFTER you have received the new one.

<deleted>?????

Complete forms.

Wait about 12-14 days.

New passport arrives.

<deleted>?????

Complete forms.

Wait about 12-14 days.

New passport arrives.

So who approves the passport? Edited by khastan

Actually you are informed from my check a minute ago as during the application process you get this:

https://www.gov.uk/o...ewing_new/adult

Don’t book travel until you have a valid passport. If you need to travel urgently, apply for an Emergency Travel Document at the British embassy in Bangkok. You will have to pay for the document.

14 Wireless Road

Lumpini, Pathumwan

Bangkok 10330

In an emergency out of office hours please dial +66 (0) 2 305 8333 and follow the instructions.

https://www.gov.uk/o...ewing_new/adult

14 Wireless Road

Lumpini, Pathumwan

Bangkok 10330

What do you get when I click on the link it takes me to a government website? Sorry my mistake I see now what you mean. Edited by khastan

Thanks to all that have replied. I agree with a lot of comments it is a total utter shambles. What is also very concerning that once they receive the passport in Hong Kong then apparently its cancelled and you cannot travel on it no more, however you are not informed of this. So in the event of a emergency whilst waiting for said passport and requiring you to go back to the UK then you have to shell out another 5000 baht for a emergency passport which I understand you have to specify date of travel and even booking reference on, miss that and its not valid. So the UK government in its infinite wisdom expect a UK citizen that wants to renew his or hers passport to send confidential details to a non UK country or obtain a bankers draft in Hong Kong dollars all over Thailand in naken nowhere. I thought we were living in the 21st century have they never heard of a bank to bank transfer, or is it the case that this has too much of a paper trail! Also why is it the payment is made in Hong Kong when all they do is check the paperwork before sending to the UK where the passport is processed, printed and sent back. Totally different subject I know but our wonderful illustrious leadercheesy.gif I read was promising Indians a visa within 24 hours two days ago. If the powers that be can do that then surely they can come up with a better system for ex pats to renew their passports.

I renewed my UK passport last year and used both my thai BKK bank debit card and DHL. Money taken from my bank account within 3 days and the DHL tracking showed when the application was received in Hong Kong and the UK and when it was dispatched from the UK. I received a call from DHL in Chiang Mai to say they were going to deliver the new passport. Overall it took 3 weeks from the dispatch date with DHL. I found it a safe way of dealing with getting a new passport from the UK but understand it will be dealt with by the Passport Office in the UK in the non to distant future

Where would one even begin ?

Just start with the website, wait a moment we are in Thailand...... so do you go to Bangkok UK Embassy website ? Hong Hong UK Embassy website ? or click on the links supplied by said websites ? what ever they all state something different, so even before you begin there is total confusion.....

2 different people that I know in the past few months, never received any info at all, payment had been taken, and many weeks lather still not received there passports............ There present 'old' passports were still as it were valid and there Visa up to date. yet there old Passports had been cancelled.......... what a shambles......

Both cases they phoned UK, but spoke to someone in a call centre in India.......... total shambles...

Both had to go to UK Embassy in Bangkok and get a 1 year Passport at a cost of an extra 5,000 baht + all the travel expenses to get there.......so they could stay legal in Thailand, one guy works and has a work permit, the other was on retirement extension....... total shambles, would you not agree ?

Of course it did not end there as both went to a Thai Embassy outside of Thailand to get some sort of Visa, to stay legal here....., NO a Non 'B' could not be issued on a 1 year TEMP Passport........ so the only Visa they would issue was a single 60 day tourist Visa....... so was he legal ? You cannot work legally on a TR VISA....... total shambles,

Both did get there new Passports, one some 16 weeks later the other almost 20 weeks later........... Who is to blame ? NO they never received anything for all the extra out of pocket expenses

Loads of extra paperwork, Temp Passports costs, travel out of Thailand cost, new incorrect Visa costs, all the extra cost of Travel to Bangkok to Embassy costs, Visits to Immigration cost, Visa conversion cost, and the only Immigration which would do the conversion was Bangkok so all the extra travel to BKK yet again...

the retired guy said was about 18,000 baht extra, the working guy was a lot more because of all the days he had to have off work to sort this mess out...........

As the working guy said he could have made an appointment in the UK and got his passport next day, the cost, headaches, he had for all the months here was never worth it. + it would have work out cheaper..

Ask again Where is the confusion and shambles ? is there any ? for some it is all straight forward, if there is any problem along the way then your screwed

Edited by ignis

Do you have to have your application and pics countersigned by a lawyer, bank officer, doctor etc.

Can it not just be by someone that has known you over 2 years?

You do not need a counter signature unless your image has changed dramatically from your current photo.

Where would one even begin ?

Just start with the website, wait a moment we are in Thailand...... so do you go to Bangkok UK Embassy website ? Hong Hong UK Embassy website ? or click on the links supplied by said websites ? what ever they all state something different, so even before you begin there is total confusion.....

2 different people that I know in the past few months, never received any info at all, payment had been taken, and many weeks lather still not received there passports............ There present 'old' passports were still as it were valid and there Visa up to date. yet there old Passports had been cancelled.......... what a shambles......

Both cases they phoned UK, but spoke to someone in a call centre in India.......... total shambles...

Both had to go to UK Embassy in Bangkok and get a 1 year Passport at a cost of an extra 5,000 baht + all the travel expenses to get there.......so they could stay legal in Thailand, one guy works and has a work permit, the other was on retirement extension....... total shambles, would you not agree ?

Of course it did not end there as both went to a Thai Embassy outside of Thailand to get some sort of Visa, to stay legal here....., NO a Non 'B' could not be issued on a 1 year TEMP Passport........ so the only Visa they would issue was a single 60 day tourist Visa....... so was he legal ? You cannot work legally on a TR VISA....... total shambles,

Both did get there new Passports, one some 16 weeks later the other almost 20 weeks later........... Who is to blame ? NO they never received anything for all the extra out of pocket expenses

Loads of extra paperwork, Temp Passports costs, travel out of Thailand cost, new incorrect Visa costs, all the extra cost of Travel to Bangkok to Embassy costs, Visits to Immigration cost, Visa conversion cost, and the only Immigration which would do the conversion was Bangkok so all the extra travel to BKK yet again...

the retired guy said was about 18,000 baht extra, the working guy was a lot more because of all the days he had to have off work to sort this mess out...........

As the working guy said he could have made an appointment in the UK and got his passport next day, the cost, headaches, he had for all the months here was never worth it. + it would have work out cheaper..

Ask again Where is the confusion and shambles ? is there any ? for some it is all straight forward, if there is any problem along the way then your screwed

So they have learned their lesson. Do not wait until your extension of stay is nearly up to apply for a new passport.